Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Aimiel

Of course the corpse of a person who has perished still exists. But they are not alive, they are not conscious.
When Jesus called Lazarus from the grave, he heard Him and obeyed. Just because we don't see life in someone's body doesn't mean their soul sleeps. They are in the spirit realm. Death isn't what humans imagine. It is merely crossing over into the realm of spirit. Souls condemned to the Lake of Fire aren't sent there to be flushed into a black hole; they're sent there to be tormented just as Scripture states.

IMJerusha

Of course the corpse of a person who has perished still exists. But they are not alive, they are not conscious.

Souls are conscious. They do not have physical form but they have every bit of the consciousness they had when they were alive in physical form. Consider the transfiguration scene. Moses and Elijah were long dead, yet they had recognizable form and consciousness. Do people talk when they have no consciousness?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
When Jesus called Lazarus from the grave, he heard Him and obeyed. Just because we don't see life in someone's body doesn't mean their soul sleeps. They are in the spirit realm. Death isn't what humans imagine. It is merely crossing over into the realm of spirit. Souls condemned to the Lake of Fire aren't sent there to be flushed into a black hole; they're sent there to be tormented just as Scripture states.

To say that your soul is present with the Lord because of your bodys death, is a false gospel, but you do not realize that.

Your idea comes from the spiritualists.

When you sleep at night, are you conscious?

To stand before God in ones sins and be judged will be terrifying, and to be thrown alive into the lake of fire, there would be much wailing and knashing of teeth.

As the elements of the earth are burnt up by fire then how could anyone be conscious after they perish in Gods fire??? The ungodly are not given immortality.

Soul means life. There is no soul to be alive when you are dead, unless you are resurrected from the dead.

God sees lives as if they are alive in the case of the righteous and will raise them from the dead, and only then will they be alive with Him.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Souls are conscious. They do not have physical form but they have every bit of the consciousness they had when they were alive in physical form. Consider the transfiguration scene. Moses and Elijah were long dead, yet they had recognizable form and consciousness. Do people talk when they have no consciousness?

You do err.

The Bible record is that Moses and Elijah are alive in their bodies.

LA

IMJerusha

If you look up the account in Genesis, it doesn't say anything about spirits being tormented by the flames. It is straightforward, they were destroyed and were not alive after they were destroyed.

Okay, which "account." Genesis is a good sized book.

And this is the example of the coming judgment, according to Jude (and Peter).

It changes what Jude wrote to say "Sodom and Gemorrah were destroyed by the fire so we know that the lost will not be destroyed, but instead they will suffer eternal torment." That's the opposite of what Jude said. Unless you assume that Sodom and Gemorrah are in eternal conscious torment. But assuming that in order to prove that is called "begging the question."

I believe that is exactly where the people of Sodom and Gemorrah are every bit as much as I believe that the thief on the cross went to paradise the day that Yeshua died.

Timotheos

Okay, which "account." Genesis is a good sized book.
Chapter 19

I believe that is exactly where the people of Sodom and Gemorrah are every bit as much as I believe that the thief on the cross went to paradise the day that Yeshua died.
Well...okay.
I still don't see Jude 7 as proof of ECT.

I disagree. I think of the soul as the person.

Concerning the Transfiguation, Jesus said that was a vision.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Since Sodom and Gomorrah are not still on fire burning, but were annihilated, it follows that "eternal fire" totally consumes what it destroys.

Undergoing is present tense and it is common practice in the bible to refer to the inhabits of a city/nation by that city/nations name instead of saying the people in those cities/nations.

When Jacob is refereed to for example, its either the person Jacob or the inhabitants of the separation nation of Israel.

So what the verse there is really saying is that the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah are still undergoing an eternal fire as an example, remember that angels fell from heaven and this example is also for THEM to what is coming for THEM as well.

"Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire."

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Exactly.

He knows that. He's just trying really hard to skirt around it and avoid it.

It has already been shown to him that apollumi (verb form) and apolleia (noun form) in scripture, which are translated destroy, perish, lost, lose, die, etc., do not mean "cease to exist".

In fact, in ancient Greek literature even outside of scripture, these Greek words were not used to mean "cease to exist".

Homer, the ancient Greek poet that wrote the Iliad and the Odyseey used the words for the slain and the perished.
But these slain and perished ones still existed (and were still conscious) in Hades.

The word meaning at that time did not carry the modern connotation of annihilation, as in ceased to exist.
They carried the connotation of going from existing in one state of being to existing in another state of being, but not as "ceased to exist".

It would be wise to familiarize yourself with the actual use of the ancient words at the time they were used instead of trying to force a modern meaning to them just to satisfy your own agenda of what you perceive that God's divine justice ought to be.

And example would be:
2 Thessalonians 2 KJV
(7) For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
Our modern use of the word "letteth/let" has the connotation of "allow/loosen".
But in the day it was written, it meant "restrain/retain".
So, to use our modern definition, instead of the definition of that time, would cause one to have a completely unbiblical understanding of the message of scripture.

:thumb:

IMJerusha

Chapter 19

I'll check it out.

Well...okay.
I still don't see Jude 7 as proof of ECT.

That's okay.

I disagree. I think of the soul as the person.

The person is that which returns to the dust. The soul is that which God breathes into us; everything about us that makes us who we are individually and everything that will return to Him providing we remain faithful to Yeshua and obey God's commands.

Concerning the Transfiguation, Jesus said that was a vision.

I don't know where you get that:
"After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.
Peter said to Jesus, 'Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.'
While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, 'This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!'
When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. 'Get up,' he said. 'Don’t be afraid.' When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.
As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, 'Don’t tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.' "

The transfiguration occurred.

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Impossible.

The people burnt in sodom are ashes to this day.

None could go to paradise before Jesus did.

LA

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Impossible.

The people burnt in sodom are ashes to this day.

None could go to paradise before Jesus did.

LA

Paradise/Abraham's bosom Hades/hell were separated. Hades/Hell still exists and will later be thrown into the lake of fire. The eternal flame was not extinguished nor will ever be.

keypurr

Nope, thats a fairytale.

What is the state of the Dead?

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion forever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Psa 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

The dead are dead. However....

Joh 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
Joh 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurre2ction of damnation.

All will be raised
Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

The dead wait for his return, then they are saved or destroyed.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Please Totton, the passage you quoted doesn't support the conclusion you have stated. It says God prepared the everlasting fire, not hell. Fire consumes what is put into it. They perish in the fire.

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

Unfortunately, some will not come to repentance, so some will perish in the everlasting fire. The fire is everlasting, those who perish in the fire are not everlasting.

I know that you will not accept this, but it is the truth. I've backed up what I've said by scripture.

Sheer rationalization to fit your view, not the face value meaning. God did prepare the lake of fire for Satan and did not intend it for humans. Humans who rebel like Satan share the same destiny, though.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I don't "slither".

I expect that the scriptures you use to prove your point actually say what you say they do. So far, they haven't. Since you accused me of "slithering" I'm not going to answer any more of your questions. If you want to have a decent discussion, ask a decent question.

I already addressed the Mark quotation. Feel free to review this thread for the answer.

And it is begging the question to say "Jesus lied in his parable". He wasn't lying, he was teaching the truth using a parable. The parable has nothing to do with whether there is eternal conscious torment in hell or not.

It clearly pictures conscious torment after death. The story would be consistent with sound doctrine or Jesus is a false teacher. You are rationalizing again to retain your view at all costs. Change your view, not Scripture. You are making yourself immune to sound arguments by dismissing anything that disagrees with your conclusions.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I'm reading the NT in greek, but it looks like you know more greek than I do. Is this koine greek? My bible doesn't have the words διαστημόπλοιο and σπαθί-λέηζερ in it. I'm at a disadvantage, because I'm self-taught. My point in all of this was to point out that I'm not actually stupid as has been assumed by some people.

Self-taught can be dangerous in light of how nuanced and technical Greek can be. You will make rookie mistakes without formal expertise.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Thank you. Yes, the verse seems to literally say that.

Do you have any solid evidence outside of the Book of Revelation?
I'm not sure I want to build a doctrine based on just one verse, especially when it contradicts dozens of other clear verses in the Bible.

Thanks for making it bigger. Anything outside of the Apocalyptic Book of Revelation? John 3:16 perhaps?

Why didn't you enlarge this part of the verse: "for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name."

The verse stands and cannot mean anything other than it says without leaving no way to express its truth whether you agree/like it or not. If you dismiss this in Revelation, then you should also dismiss the historicity of the 7 churches, future judgments, literal Second Coming of Christ, New Heavens/Earth, etc. You are being selective and make figurative anything that disagrees with you, without warrant.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Okay, fair enough.
So I guess that's a no, then? You can't back this doctrine up in any of the other 65 books of the Bible? It's good that John had ink and parchment paper on the island then. Otherwise we might think that the wages of sin is death, and those who do not believe in the Son of God will perish.

Thanks for your input.
BTW, what does "/thread" mean?

The OT understanding in Judaism is rudimentary. Fuller vs exhaustive revelation happens progressively with the NT.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Okay, you don't have to.

I'm going to take this advice:
XI. NEVER BASE A DOCTRINE ON ONE PASSAGE OF SCRIPTURE.

No doctrine should be built on only one passage or verse of Scripture. Any true doctrine of God will be found in many places in the Bible. The Mormons base their doctrine of baptisms for the dead on only one verse in the Bible. (1 Cor. 15:29) No where else is the practice even mentioned. If you cannot find other places in the Bible that teach the doctrine this should alert you to a problem. If the supposed doctrine is only found in one place you should seek to find out why. In every case you will discover that what is being taught is not a doctrine. To arrive at the correct understanding of a teaching (doctrine) in Scripture you must study all related texts and then put them together. Until you do this, it is difficult to know that you have all the truth revealed on a particular subject.

It would be wrong to formulate a doctrine from the statements in a parable.​

Here is the source: http://bible-truth.org/Principles.htm

We are not basing our belief on one verse. Whole books are written to support the biblical, historical, orthodox view. Any biblical evidence is dismissed by you or interpreted differently.

Jn. 1:1 is strong affirmation of the Deity of Christ and Trinity. It is fully true even without the dozens of other verses that support it. You cannot pit an Arian verse against this one to negate the Deity of Christ like JWs do. They must proof text out of context to do this.

You underestimate the evidence for ECT and overestimate it for your unbiblical view.