Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Arthur Brain

Oh, I see now. Thank you. So are you saying that you WILL be a sadist who enjoys watching others burn in the future, but you are not currently a sadist who enjoys watching others burn?

Are you looking forward to a time when you will enjoy watching Rusha burn? When did you first suspect that you would enjoy watching a person burn? Are there other people that you will enjoy seeing burn? Do you think that you will enjoy all misery or is it something about the fire that you will enjoy? Is it the charring flesh that pleases you the most, or is it something else? The screaming sobs, perhaps? Have you seen a doctor about your sick fantasies?

Tim, just a heads up here. Res will say all sorts of vile garbage and will then try to weasel and squirm out of it. You're quite right. Anyone who would even posit the thought of enjoying the burning agonies of another, present or future is a sadist, a sociopath or a sad liitle troll. Or possibly a combination of all...

:e4e:

Jordan Fontenot

In terms of it not being a place of eternal torment/suffering? Well, most of the early church/original text translators for starters.

Those two groups are centuries apart which just shows how much research you have really done. The original Greek text makes translating that way very difficult. Early church fathers used the Greek.

Arthur Brain

Those two groups are centuries apart which just shows how much research you have really done. The original Greek text makes translating that way very difficult. Early church fathers used the Greek.

And also Hebrew. The translations that stick closely to the original texts are far removed from modern English bibles so please don't presume too much. How much of the early church endorsed eternal suffering as actually taught through the original texts? If you've done the research you'll realize it was a minority.

Jordan Fontenot

And also Hebrew. The translations that stick closely to the original texts are far removed from modern English bibles so please don't presume too much. How much of the early church endorsed eternal suffering as actually taught through the original texts? If you've done the research you'll realize it was a minority.

Three years of studying Greek and studying early church history under experts in the field with doctorates in their disciplines I've done my research. It wasn't a minority. I don't know where you got that. Maybe Origen, but he was thrown out and disfellowshipped for heresy. If that's the case I would say that it was a majority not minority

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
tardlyartie's another revisionist who wants the Bible to read the way he thinks it should, just like Timmy

where Timmy wants to strike out eternal punishment, tardlyartie wants to pencil in universalism

Arthur Brain

Three years of studying Greek and studying early church history under experts in the field with doctorates in their disciplines I've done my research. It wasn't a minority. I don't know where you got that. Maybe Origen, but he was thrown out and disfellowshipped for heresy. If that's the case I would say that it was a majority not minority

If you think it was 'maybe Origen' then I really do question how much research you've actually done on this particular aspect of the early church? He was far from the only one. Gregory Of Nyssa to name just one. Eternal torment was far from the prevailing view. Origen was not thrown out and disfellowshipped for heresy either. He was regarded as a heretic by schools of thought which came afterwards, which doesn't exactly say a lot considering how often that term is thrown about here...

Arthur Brain

God does restore and reconcile...those who come to Him for forgiveness and admit He is Lord. God is to Holy and loving to force people to do what He wants

But apparently He's that loving to force people into an eternity of suffering if they don't 'choose' correctly on this plane?

:AMR:

Arthur Brain

tardlyartie's another revisionist who wants the Bible to read the way he thinks it should, just like Timmy

where Timmy wants to strike out eternal punishment, tardlyartie wants to pencil in universalism

Well, coming from a sick little troll who relishes the prospect of other people burning, that really is about as little a response as anyone could expect...

Jordan Fontenot

But apparently He's that loving to force people into an eternity of suffering if they don't 'choose' correctly on this plane?

:AMR:

He doesn't force anybody to go to hell. That's the point of the cross. Without it, we are hellbound. With it is the only way there is ever a choice and to choose otherwise leaves us hellbound where we started