THE JUDGMENT SEAT OF CHRIST

DougE

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

The judgment seat of Christ is not the great white throne judgment of Revelation 20:11. For those in Christ, by faith in Christ and his redemption, the judgment seat is a judgment of what has been done in the body of Christ, good or bad. The judgment seat is for reward.

The judgment will be if what is done is according to the will of God, the word of God. Paul spoke of our work being tried by fire in 1 Corinthians 3:13. Jeremiah 23:29 speaks of the word of God being fire.

The obedience of faith is to obey the doctrine we are taught (Romans 6:17). We find our doctrine in the epistles of Paul, apostle to the Gentiles and our teacher according to 2 Timothy 1:11.

Our works of obedience to our doctrine will be rewarded according to 1 Corinthians 3:14. Works done not according to our doctrine and the word of God will be burned up according to 1 Corinthians 3:15, yet we shall be saved.

Here are some good works that will receive reward:

1) Provide for our family (1 Timothy 5:8)

2) Bring up children in the Lord (Ephesians 6:4)

3) Work (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12)

4) Live godly (Titus 2:12)

5) Men should love their wives (Ephesians 5:28)

6) Teach no other doctrine (1 Timothy 1:3)

Ephesians 3:9 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

This to is to be obeyed for reward.

The mystery given Paul is the gospel that by faith in Christ and his redemption and propitiation for our sins, we can be justified freely by grace apart from Israel (Romans 3:21-25) and the formation of one new man, the church, the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:27 Ephesians 2:15-16).

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

The obedience of faith has been made known, that we are to make known the mystery for reward.

Nanja

I believe that the Judgment seat of Christ is the Great White Throne Judgement.

Amen Brother, which Judgement entails that all whoever lived in this world shall be judged, because it has been appointed by God.

Rev. 20:11-15

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Acts 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

beloved57

Amen Brother, which Judgement entails that all whoever lived in this world shall be judged, because it has been appointed by God.

Rev. 20:11-15

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Acts 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Amen Sister for sure!

beloved57

Thank You Brother, Praising the Lord !

Another reference Rom 14:10-12

10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Sister what do you believe the account the believer shall give account of themselves to God ?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

There are two separate judgements.

From gotquestions.org

​​​​​​here are two separate judgments. Believers are judged at the Judgment Seat of Christ (Romans 14:10-12). Every believer will give an account of himself, and the Lord will judge the decisions he made—including those concerning issues of conscience. This judgment does not determine salvation, which is by faith alone (Ephesians 2:8-9), but rather is the time when believers must give an account of their lives in service to Christ. Our position in Christ is the “foundation” spoken of in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15. That which we build upon the foundation can be the “gold, silver, and precious stones” of good works in Christ’s name, obedience and fruitfulness—dedicated spiritual service to glorify God and build the church. Or what we build on the foundation may be the “wood, hay and stubble” of worthless, frivolous, shallow activity with no spiritual value. The Judgment Seat of Christ will reveal this.

The gold, silver, and precious stones in the lives of believers will survive God’s refining fire (v. 13), and believers will be rewarded based on those good works—how faithfully we served Christ (1 Corinthians 9:4-27), how well we obeyed the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20), how victorious we were over sin (Romans 6:1-4), how well we controlled our tongues (James 3:1-9), etc. We will have to give an account for our actions, whether they were truly indicative of our position in Christ. The fire of God’s judgment will completely burn up the “wood, hay and stubble” of the words we spoke and things we did which had no eternal value. “So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God” (Romans 14:12 ).

The second judgment is that of unbelievers who will be judged at the Great White Throne Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15). This judgment does not determine salvation, either. Everyone at the Great White Throne is an unbeliever who has rejected Christ in life and is therefore already doomed to the lake of fire. Revelation 20:12 says that unbelievers will be “judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.” Those who have rejected Christ as Lord and Savior will be judged based on their works alone, and because the Bible tells us that “by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified” (Galatians 2:16), they will be condemned. No amount of good works and the keeping of God’s laws can be sufficient to atone for sin. All their thoughts, words and actions will be judged against God’s perfect standard and found wanting. There will be no reward for them, only eternal condemnation and punishment.

Bradley D

That will be quite a time.

Matthew 12:36
"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment."

Nanja

Another reference Rom 14:10-12

10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Sister what do you believe the account the believer shall give account of themselves to God ?

I believe it will be much like this Brother:

Through the Perfect Physical and Spiritual Obedience of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ;

by His Perfect Life of Obedience to God's Law and Justice that He has rendered to God on my behalf, as my Blessed Saviour,

In Him I have honored all the Commandments of God and the Faith of Jesus Christ Perfectly.

DAN P

Hi and there are ONLY 2 verses that say " JUDGMENT SEAT OF CHRIST " and it is called the BEMA SEAT !

The other verse is in Rom 14:10 where the same word BEMA is used !!

The JUDGEMNT SEAT / BEMA is used to describe the B O C , ONLY !! Check 1 Cor 3:10-15 !!!!!!!!

The WHITE THRONE , WERE JUDGED / , KRINO , the final JUDGMENT as recorded in Rev 20:11-15 !!

dan p

Last edited:

beloved57

I believe it will be much like this Brother:

Through the Perfect Physical and Spiritual Obedience of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ;

by His Perfect Life of Obedience to God's Law and Justice that He has rendered to God on my behalf, as my Blessed Saviour,

In Him I have honored all the Commandments of God and the Faith of Jesus Christ Perfectly.

So primarily the account the believer gives is Christ righteousness charged to their account by the Grace of God.

Nanja

So primarily the account the believer gives is Christ righteousness charged to their account by the Grace of God.

Amen !

Ps. 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Last edited:

musterion

As Doug said, beliefs determine everything any person does, so doctrine - correct or incorrect - results in works, either good or bad. The Judgment Seat of Christ will really judge the doctrines we hold now, not just the works they result in.

THAT is why the saved are warned to rightly divide the word of truth if we want to be approved...a terrifying judgment awaits, based not only on what we do but what we believe.

Arthur Brain

There are two separate judgements.

From gotquestions.org

​​​​​​here are two separate judgments. Believers are judged at the Judgment Seat of Christ (Romans 14:10-12). Every believer will give an account of himself, and the Lord will judge the decisions he made—including those concerning issues of conscience. This judgment does not determine salvation, which is by faith alone (Ephesians 2:8-9), but rather is the time when believers must give an account of their lives in service to Christ. Our position in Christ is the “foundation” spoken of in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15. That which we build upon the foundation can be the “gold, silver, and precious stones” of good works in Christ’s name, obedience and fruitfulness—dedicated spiritual service to glorify God and build the church. Or what we build on the foundation may be the “wood, hay and stubble” of worthless, frivolous, shallow activity with no spiritual value. The Judgment Seat of Christ will reveal this.

The gold, silver, and precious stones in the lives of believers will survive God’s refining fire (v. 13), and believers will be rewarded based on those good works—how faithfully we served Christ (1 Corinthians 9:4-27), how well we obeyed the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20), how victorious we were over sin (Romans 6:1-4), how well we controlled our tongues (James 3:1-9), etc. We will have to give an account for our actions, whether they were truly indicative of our position in Christ. The fire of God’s judgment will completely burn up the “wood, hay and stubble” of the words we spoke and things we did which had no eternal value. “So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God” (Romans 14:12 ).

The second judgment is that of unbelievers who will be judged at the Great White Throne Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15). This judgment does not determine salvation, either. Everyone at the Great White Throne is an unbeliever who has rejected Christ in life and is therefore already doomed to the lake of fire. Revelation 20:12 says that unbelievers will be “judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.” Those who have rejected Christ as Lord and Savior will be judged based on their works alone, and because the Bible tells us that “by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified” (Galatians 2:16), they will be condemned. No amount of good works and the keeping of God’s laws can be sufficient to atone for sin. All their thoughts, words and actions will be judged against God’s perfect standard and found wanting. There will be no reward for them, only eternal condemnation and punishment.

If your latter is actually the case then why the point in judging anyone on any "works" at all? What's the point? Just cast them all into the same pit anyway, right, no matter what and be done with it. Wow, am I glad to have left fundamentalism behind. About as much love, compassion and understanding in it as a lump of marble.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
As Doug said, beliefs determine everything any person does, so doctrine - correct or incorrect - results in works, either good or bad. The Judgment Seat of Christ will really judge the doctrines we hold now, not just the works they result in.

THAT is why the saved are warned to rightly divide the word of truth if we want to be approved...a terrifying judgment awaits, based not only on what we do but what we believe.

Musty! :wave2:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If your latter is actually the case then why the point in judging anyone on any "works" at all? What's the point? Just cast them all into the same pit anyway, right, no matter what and be done with it. Wow, am I glad to have left fundamentalism behind. About as much love, compassion and understanding in it as a lump of marble.

It's no surprise that you take issue with how God says He will do things.

The point is to judge them according to their works, not to determine their salvation.

musterion

I recently gave a message at church after studying out the judgment seat of Christ, specifically the grounds for the believer's rewards (or loss). I kept coming back to the conclusion that, according to Paul, a believer's doctrine is the real standard since works are only the outworking of what we think and believe, just as in any area of life.

Further, it is likely that the rewards received or lost will include positions of service in the heavens. Makes sense to me...if God can't trust us during our walk here to abide the doctrines He revealed through Paul, then He's not going to trust us for eternity -- at least not with as much as might have been.

That. I believe, is why Paul took the issues of doctrine, the race to run, and of the believer's judgement VERY seriously, way more seriously than most believers bother to.