SABBATH KEEPING

Theo102

27. "If you do not fast from the world, you will not find the (Father's) kingdom. If you do not observe the sabbath as a sabbath you will not see the Father."

Gospel of Thomas.

KerimF

bon voyage your flight from law...

If Jesus followed the Law of his time, the powerful rich honourable Elders would have no reason to ask for his death in the name of Law. And their Law also released the criminal Barabbas from prison.

clefty

27. "If you do not fast from the world, you will not find the (Father's) kingdom. If you do not observe the sabbath as a sabbath you will not see the Father."

Gospel of Thomas.

Good find...but if they do not listen to Moses and the prophets neither will they be persuaded by One risen from the dead...or by one of the non-canonical writers...

clefty

If Jesus followed the Law of his time,
so you are implying He broke His Father’s Law? That would be a sin and by the KINGDOM’S Law that would invalidate Him as a Passover offering...

What He broke are laws and traditions they the elders had constructed to “advise“ the peoples...things like “no rules love” or “His is a Lawless Kingdom”...thereby not entering into the kingdom of heaven themselves and preventing others from doing so...

the powerful rich honourable Elders would have no reason to ask for his death in the name of Law.

Sure they could...false charges alone got Him...He blasphemed!...and that He was a threat to the Pax Romana as a seditious king...Pilate washEd His hands of the matter and returned Him to do as they wished...with their temple guard...so they killed Him anyway...“His blood be upon us and our children”...

Poor Stephen was charged for false witness too...as if Stephen preached Yahushua changed the customs Moses delivered to us...Luke was clear these Jews (as with Yahushua and Paul later) were sent to stir up the people with a bunch of false witness...Acts 6:13-14

I like to think one of the reasons why The Elders had Yahushua killed is BECAUSE He reminded them that “the Sabbath was made for man“ and not just for Jews...you know His House for ALL nations...

But that REALLY went against the enmity they had against the goyim...NO WAY were Jews gonna let unclean goyim in on a blessing...

Paul clearly continues this message (His Sabbath made for ALL man message)to the goyim which infuriated the non believing Jews even further...to finally go after Paul with the same false witness...lol...

Paul However was clear at all his trials they could not prove their “He destroyed the Law” charges...

And their Law also released the criminal Barabbas from prison.

Pilate’s custom was alleged to have been so...

as yes even Rome rejects your “no rules love...Lawless kingdom”...

despite how hard you try your “live and let live...love is all you need” to assimilate into it...

And reject His Law full kingdom...

KerimF

...even Rome rejects your “no rules love...Lawless kingdom”...

I guess that almost all who read my posts noticed already that I focus on Jesus and Jesus only, not on anyone else.
To me in the list, no man can replace Jesus; the Living Word of God (the One Will/Power of the Father in Heaven, not incarnated, and Jesus, incarnated, unified by the Holy Spirit).
I knew Him, unlike most people do, because I discovered that He knew already everything about me and the world I live in.

I am sorry, I can't see my Creator as a Supreme Ruler; one being of his kind talking about love imposed by rules.
The image of one being god is adopted by almost all humans on earth, though they don't necessarily observe the same rules of yours.
You see, in this respect, you are the real winner here, what else you like to know :)

clefty

I guess that almost all who read my posts noticed already that I focus on Jesus and Jesus only, not on anyone else.
and yourself...you focus quite abit on your own clever loopholes and reticence to His Way...

To me in the list, no man can replace Jesus; the Living Word of God (the One Will/Power of the Father in Heaven, not incarnated, and Jesus, incarnated, unified by the Holy Spirit).
no man can replace Him except you...as you do with your “no rules love...His Lawless kingdom”

I knew Him, unlike most people do, because I discovered that He knew already everything about me and the world I live in.
cuz He made you and gives to you what you need to do THIS and live...but you reject most of it...” nawww I’m good”...the arrogance

I am sorry, I can't see my Creator as a Supreme Ruler; one being of his kind talking about love imposed by rules.

Don’t apologize to me that is between you and Him.

But it does reveal you have never been in love...

One day there will be a man/little boy or woman/little girl “no rules” right?...who you will fall in love with and wish to please

He merely hopes you fall in love with Him and wish to be with Him is WHY the thou Dost Not and thou Dost is a means to remind you as to what life is like with Him where He is and of course you WANT TO because of what He has done for you...

The image of one being god is adopted by almost all humans on earth, though they don't necessarily observe the same rules of yours.
You see, in this respect, you are the real winner here, what else you like to know :)

Winning for me is to see people so grateful for what He has done for them they happily accept His way His conditions to live here and forever with Him...

clefty

The GoT is the best candidate for the theoretical Q gospel.

maybe I should have made it clearer...

but if they do not listen to Moses and the prophets they will get so MAD that they will reject even more offered by One risen from the dead...His Way His Faith lifestyle

And certainly the non-canonical writers...

but some 19th century commentary regarding Zionism THAT another gospel they will accept so they don’t have to accept a day off...given to ALL mankind even before his need of it...such grace

Last edited:

Theo102

but if they do not listen to Moses and the prophets they will get so MAD that they will reject even more offered by One risen from the dead.
Christianity didn't listen.

Luke 24
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

The closest match isn't about the Messiah:

Hosea 6
2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

clefty

Christianity didn't listen.
do you mean later after the canon was established or as the believers were establishing the canon including writing copying compiling and translating...

Luke 24
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

The closest match isn't about the Messiah:

Hosea 6
2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

As you know there are MANY of these textual errors of “poetic license” at best...to just wrong the Matt vs Luke genealogies...to at worst agenda driven manufacturing...Such as Mark 7:19 becoming a proof text that in excreting all foods into the sewer it means we may finally eat cats bats and wombats...

In the one you now reference this is particularly tricky as the tradition is Friday afternoon death to Sunday Morning resurrection does NOT MAKE 3 days He was dead...is that your issue or that Luke misused Hosea?

One of the reasons Jews have rejected Him is precisely because OT texts turn up differently in the NT and not just in interpretation...as in Isaiah 53...

A famous one is what happens to Psalms 40:6-8

…6Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but my ears You have opened. Burnt offerings and sin offerings You did not require. 7Then I said, “Here I am, I have come— it is written about me in the scroll: 8I delight to do Your will, O my God; Your law is within my heart.”…

When it is quoted in Heb 10:5-7

5Therefore, when Christ came into the world, He said: “Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but a body You prepared for Me. 6In burnt offerings and sin offerings You took no delight. 7Then I said, ‘Here I am, it is written about Me in the scroll: I have come to do Your will, O God.’”omits the law

Does the author of Hebrews have Yahushua deliberately misquote the Psalms? Leave out the Law is in His heart as a foreshadowing of Him “destroying” it? or so as not to make readers MAD...?

As for your OP I attempted to “resolve” the tension...

Paul’s letters as you know came even before the gospels...but if the issue for is not within the NT but remains between OT to the NT then yes much to study there too...

Last edited:

Theo102

do you mean later after the canon was established or as the believers were establishing the canon including writing copying compiling and translating...
From before the canon was established. But to be fair the politics of the day didn't leave a lot of room for critical thought.

agenda driven manufacturing...Such as Mark 7:19 becoming a proof text that in excreting all foods into the sewer it means we may finally eat cats bats and wombats...
Yeah, theology is sometimes just a euphemism for religious apologetics.

In the one you now reference this is particularly tricky as the tradition is Friday afternoon death to Sunday Morning resurrection does NOT MAKE 3 days He was dead...is that your issue or that Luke misused Hosea?
You're correct that the timeline doesn't work with the version of the sign of Jonah which talks about being in the belly of the earth for three days and nights. I've no reason think think that Luke misreported anything, but it seems that someone was trying to send a message that wouldn't be redacted due to a cursory reading, something like a parable.

One of the reasons Jews have rejected Him is precisely because OT texts turn up differently in the NT and not just in interpretation...as in Isaiah 53...
Yes, the suffering that Isaiah 53 is talking about is anguish, not physical torture.

A famous one is what happens to Psalms 40:6-8

…6Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but my ears You have opened. Burnt offerings and sin offerings You did not require. 7Then I said, “Here I am, I have come— it is written about me in the scroll: 8I delight to do Your will, O my God; Your law is within my heart.”…

When it is quoted in Heb 10:5-7

5Therefore, when Christ came into the world, He said: “Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but a body You prepared for Me. 6In burnt offerings and sin offerings You took no delight. 7Then I said, ‘Here I am, it is written about Me in the scroll: I have come to do Your will, O God.’”omits the law

Does the author of Hebrews have Yahushua deliberately misquote the Psalms? Leave out the Law is in His heart as a foreshadowing of Him “destroying” it? or so as not to make readers MAD...?
The Septuagint has:

6 Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not; but a body hast thou prepared me: whole-burnt-offering and sacrifice for sin thou didst not require.
7 Then I said, Behold, I come: in the volume of the book it is written concerning me,
8 I desired to do thy will, O my God, and thy law in the midst of mine heart.

The writer of Hebrews quotes Jeremiah 31 in Hebrews 8:10: "I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts", so it's not as it he didn't know that it related to the new covenant.

As for your OP I attempted to “resolve” the tension...

Paul’s letters as you know came even before the gospels...but if the issue for is not within the NT but remains between OT to the NT then yes much to study there too...

There's a connection between the symbolic blood of the covenant of the last supper and the blood of the Mosaic covenant as a symbol of the practice and consent of the people (Exodus 24:7-8).

KerimF

One day there will be a man/little boy or woman/little girl “no rules” right?...who you will fall in love with and wish to please

I mentioned already that I am single. To be clearer, I didn't/don't obey my instincts about sex because to have a healthy sexual relationship, there are some rules (said of God or men) to observe/obey first.

And it is your life to try your best to please/honour certain people on earth and also God in Heaven as well.

On my side, I understand that some people around me may need certain help or be encouraged by compliments if not praise, but not God for sure.

So I repeat, I have nothing against your belief that God needs your obedience and praise because this is also the Will of God for you (and for whoever has this belief).

clefty

From before the canon was established. But to be fair the politics of the day didn't leave a lot of room for critical thought.
Ahh yes the Pax Romana becoming more of a times and law changing pox...

Yeah, theology is sometimes just a euphemism for religious apologetics.
apologetics too much of a defense...reactionary and not an exploration?

You're correct that the timeline doesn't work with the version of the sign of Jonah which talks about being in the belly of the earth for three days and nights.
Jonah was not dead but confined...so for me the meter starts at His arrest or even Judas accepting bribe...And no Sunday resurrection as biblical days begin in the morning and thus that Sunday morning nothing but an empty tomb was discovered...He is risen is true...rose the day before...Sabbath...heals it does..

I've no reason think think that Luke misreported anything, but it seems that someone was trying to send a message that wouldn't be redacted due to a cursory reading, something like a parable.[/quite] hmmm ok I shared my thoughts already...

Yes, the suffering that Isaiah 53 is talking about is anguish, not physical torture.
well to them it’s more of the servant being all of Israel...the people...you know oy vey da suffering...Zionist Jews now actually see themselves as the messiah Himself...

The Septuagint has:

6 Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not; but a body hast thou prepared me: whole-burnt-offering and sacrifice for sin thou didst not require.
7 Then I said, Behold, I come: in the volume of the book it is written concerning me,
8 I desired to do thy will, O my God, and thy law in the midst of mine heart.

The writer of Hebrews quotes Jeremiah 31 in Hebrews 8:10: "I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts", so it's not as it he didn't know that it related to the new covenant.
Hmmm but still not sure what’s going on

There's a connection between the symbolic blood of the covenant of the last supper and the blood of the Mosaic covenant as a symbol of the practice and consent of the people (Exodus 24:7-8).

Right but was the connection made sloppily? Apologetically? Not by Him...but later...as with transubstantiation?

clefty

I mentioned already that I am single. To be clearer, I didn't/don't obey my instincts about sex because to have a healthy sexual relationship, there are some rules (said of God or men) to observe/obey first.
ok well so much for your “no rules love...Lawless Kingdom” odd reason to have that aborted talking about sex I guess...makes sense even the believing gentiles crowding the synagogues needed a clarification as to what sexual immorality was Acts 15

And it is your life to try your best to please/honour certain people on earth and also God in Heaven as well.

On my side, I understand that some people around me may need certain help or be encouraged by compliments if not praise, but not God for sure.
well your side has been in error...

and now again

He indeed desires your praise free willing not paid for or beaten out of you...you see the universe is watching to see if indeed He is not only a God but a GOOD God...fair and just and WORTHY of our praise...you know because He was accused otherwise by His adversary who like you wished to be more “free”...even like you...replace Him...His ways...and like you believes HiM but like you does NOT follow...

So as we represent Him...His way...voluntarily for what He has done...and not just for us...we actually are His character witnesses in His defense...proving with free Love as His He is indeed worthY of our worship (AS HE REQUESTS and NOT with some golden calf we devised)...We vindicate Him that He is not only God Almighty but in reaching us revealed His godliness mercy grace justice our re-Adoption ...all Laws of His Holy kingdom...not of this earth...

and in answer to our prayers that His will be done on earth as it is in heaven...see? we do that...

So I repeat, I have nothing against your belief that God needs your obedience and praise because this is also the Will of God for you (and for whoever has this belief).
ok...good luck with your flight away from His Law...His Way...

KerimF

...His Way...

Actually, it is the way that God wants you (and many others) to see it, as being His way. Why? This is another story.

After all, the ancient Jews/Israelis had to follow the way of God that you describe very well. They were supposed to see themselves as God's chosen people, not God's beloved sons/children; big difference :)