Evil Deeds

beloved57

Yes, this is true. Whether one does evil deeds like lying or stealing or violent abuse or whether one does evil deeds such as idolatry and spreading false doctrine...it is all sin. Some who spread false doctrine are also violent, sexually immoral, and etc., and some not so much. But it is all still sin.

All of us should be aware that those who are not following Christ do good deeds...out of selfishness or out of some incomplete knowledge of God. As Jesus said, even the pagans love their families. But these things can't save them....the only thing that saves is God's grace that leads to faith and a new self and a full love for others.

Even non-Christians have expressed the idea that much of what we think of as good deeds...altruism and charity...are based on human instincts and the reward of that warm feeling spreading through oneself. Often we help others because, at least subconciously, we expect something in return, or we want to feel that warm feeling. This is somewhat selfish, an incomplete understanding of love. So many non-Christians or those who think they are true Christians do good deeds out of this instinct rather than doing it especially for God. That can't save anybody. God's love is very far above human understanding but God enables us and commands us to act in it.

I am not yet sure about the true doctrine in every particular...and there may be tensions we can't resolve in this life...but let's try to honor God in every way as we consider what doctrine accords Him the highest glory in terms of power and love.

If you don't know what true doctrine of Christ is, then your testimony can be evil.

thborn

If you don't know what true doctrine of Christ is, then your testimony can be evil.

True, which is why I am not putting together a case for any group's specific doctrine at this time but am pressing and endeavoring to understand the views of others, while I at the same time pray for understanding and study Scripture. I agree with the Calvinist viewpoint that we are chosen by grace, as Ephesians says, which leads to faith which in most cases leads to a non-materialistic lifestyle and love. And I don't think we should view any of this as our doing, so that God may have all the glory for doing all of this. I hope that God will lead me to believe the fullness of the true doctrine. I also believe that Christ did not die for all, but I am still working to understand the particulars and will hopefully be able to avoid the false understandings. I have been reading a Calvinist blogger who states that it is something of a mystery to us mortals why God made some people who cannot be saved. I do think perhaps God's love is something of a mystery...when you think about it, neither unconditional love or conditional love as humans understand it are truly fair from a human standpoint...so maybe there is no such thing as true love that we can really understand.