John 18:5 what was Jesus saying?

oatmeal

All of those to whom Jesus is referring, here, by the adjective, "all"--that is, all of them, rather than none, or only some, of them. Of course, the Greek text does not have the noun, 'men'.

Which did Jesus say?
  • And ye shall be hated of all for my name's sake?
  • And ye shall be hated of some, but not all, for my name's sake?
"all without exception"

Do you think that, by saying this phrase, you mean something other than, or beyond what you mean by saying simply, "all"? If so, what? Do you also like to say the phrase, "all with exception"?

Would you like to have seen Jesus say, "And ye shall be hated of all with exception for my name's sake?" instead of what He actually said: "And ye shall be hated of all for my name's sake?"

Was, is Jesus hated by you?

oatmeal

Really?? Get serious. Why would I have needed to ask you? You've already told me you think that, by His words, "I am", Jesus meant, "I am [Jesus of Nazareth]". So, why would I need to ask you what you think Jesus meant by His words, "I am", since you've already told me?

Seeing as you've just told me that this is "my thread", then, what if, in a future post, I were to say, "oatmeal thinks this is his thread"; would you really like to respond by saying, "Why don't you ask me?" Why should I ask you to tell me something you've already told me (and repeatedly, at that)?

You've already told me that. Why are you telling me it again?

Sorry for the error.

The amount of opposition I receive is far greater than the agreement I receive

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
All of those to whom Jesus is referring, here, by the adjective, "all"--that is, all of them, rather than none, or only some, of them. Of course, the Greek text does not have the noun, 'men'.

Which did Jesus say?
  • And ye shall be hated of all for my name's sake?
  • And ye shall be hated of some, but not all, for my name's sake?
<NO ANSWER>

oatmeal

[/LIST]

If you do not understand by now that the word "all" has two meanings, then I cannot help you, or rather, I do not yet know how to break it down more finely for you.

I have given plenty of example that make the distinction.