360 Video: Inside the Tomb of St. Peter at the Vatican

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
360 Video: Inside the Tomb of St. Peter at the Vatican

From TG: I am borrowing this from another thread. It is really fascinating to me.

Fascinating video!

Yahoo News was granted rare access to film inside the Vatican Grottos, a series of chapels and papal tombs located directly beneath the famous St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City. In 360 degrees, the final resting places of popes dating back to the Middle Ages can be viewed on a virtual tour narrated by Yahoo Global News Anchor Katie Couric.

Of the 266 Popes throughout history, approximately 100 of them are buried below the basilica. On the tour, viewers will see monuments to Pope Nicholas the Fifth, Pope Innocent the Seventh, and Pope Paul the Second, among others.
In an exclusive and stunning conclusion to the tour, Yahoo News filmed the tomb of St. Peter, the man Catholics call the “First Pope,” one of the twelve Apostles of Jesus Christ. The remains of Peter are located directly beneath the altar where Pope Francis celebrates Mass, and create a literal foundation for the Church and its deep and storied history.

Play the video then put your mouse on the video and move

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...#39;s_basilica

Between 320 and 327, Constantine built a five-aisled basilica atop the early Christian necropolis that was purported to be Peter's resting place.[17] Much of the Vatican Hill was leveled to provide a firm foundation for the first St. Peter's Basilica. The altar of the Basilica was planned to be located directly over the tomb. The matter was complicated by the upper chamber or memoria above the vault. This upper chamber had become endeared to the Romans during the ages of persecution, and they were unwilling that it should be destroyed.[16] The memoria was turned into the Chapel of the Confession. Above that was the main floor of the Basilica, with the raised altar directly over the Chapel of the Confession.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
The secret search to find St. Peter’s remains
John O'Neill, author of 'The Fisherman's Tomb: The True Story of The Vatican's Secret Search,' discusses the incredible quest that led to the discovery of St. Peter's tomb.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Where is the scriptural evidence that Peter was ever in Rome?

The question is one of historical evidence, not necessarily scriptural evidence. There is lots and lots of true real history that is not in the Bible.

Historically, we know that Peter visited Rome, and that Nero had him crucified in Rome.

After Christ’s death in Jerusalem, Peter became the head of the church. He traveled widely proclaiming the way of Jesus everywhere he went. He had been in Rome when persecution against Christians (who refused to worship the emperor) became increasingly frequent and violent. Warned that his life was in grave danger, he decided to flee the city following the Appian Way to safer ground. He got as far as the ground where (a) little church (now) stands.

In Latin, the church is called “Chiesa del Domine Quo Vadis.” In English, it literally means “The Church of ‘Lord, Where are You Going?’.” According to the apocryphal Acts of Peter, as Peter fled the city, it was here that he encountered the risen Christ. Peter saw Jesus walking in the opposite direction going back toward the city of Rome. Peter – astonished – asked Jesus, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus responded, “I am going back to Rome to be crucified again.”

Peter didn’t believe that following Jesus was just a philosophical endeavor or just a nice way to live, he believed that the divine life of Christ actually lived within him and within all believers. Earlier, he had recorded this in the New Testament:

Christ has given us . . . his precious and very great promises, so that through them you. . . may become participants of the divine nature. (2Pe 1:2-4)

Peter had given up his own life to live the life of Christ – to let Christ live through him. Because of this, Peter knew that Jesus was telling him to go back to Rome where, as a participant in the divine nature of Christ, he would be crucified. Peter would not be alone on that cross. Jesus was with him – living through him – crucified again. Peter was a participant in the divine nature of Jesus. As are all those who desire Christ.

Peter obeyed. He returned, was arrested, and crucified upside down on a cross.

As I sat in the little chapel, I prayed, “Domine Quo Vadis?” Lord, where are we going? How is the Spirit calling me to participate in the divine nature? Where does Christ want to take me? How can I be his hands and feet? It is an overwhelming, but joyful question – to know that wherever Christ sends me, he lives his life within me!

AW11 Church of Domine Quo Vadis 3
This stone marks the spot where Jesus met Peter on the Appian Way

1606346554072.png
Church of Domine Quo Vadis

Last edited:

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
So you admit that the first pope had a wife?

Sure. There is a lot of misinformation out there about Catholic priests and marriage.

Many Catholic priests are married. Only Latin Rite priests cannot marry, and even then there are dispensations.

"Celibacy" is a discipline, not a doctrine. There is no Catholic "doctrine" regarding priests and marriage. All there is is a discipline for Latin Rite priests. And because of the fact that it IS a discipline and NOT a doctrine, that means that any pope can lift the discipline any time he wants to.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
I am so mad that I cant find the video I saw once that had great graphics and put everything into perspective.

It goes something like this:

2,000 years ago there was a hill next to the Circus Maximus or Nero's Circus (red arrow) where dead people from the games and other less fortunate people were buried. It was called Vatican Hill a the time (green arrow).

hqdefault.jpg

When Peter was crucified in Rome he was buried on Vatican Hill and a little shrine rose up over his grave over years, called an aedicula, a small shrine, in classical architecture a niche covered by a pediment or entablature supported by a pair of columns.
bsba020400300l.jpg

As we know, 300 years later Emperor Constantine became a Christian, and he built the first St Peter's Basilica
old-st-peters-basilica-7a8ae271-21fd-4910-a3c8-604f3147693-resize-750.jpg

Here is the important point: The "apse" of the first St Peter's Basilica incorporated Saint Peter's grave's aedicula,
gyOi9v6x9dMb.rM6L9MpsA_b.png

Of course, about 1,500 years later the NEW Saint Peter's Basilica we all know was built on top of the old, and today the famous canopy (Left) sits over the spot where the old was, and over St Peters tomb:

xbernini-canopy.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HUv8x7CJds.jpg
redwall2dg.jpg

bsbr200102703l.jpg

Last edited:

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Continued:

The NEW Saint Peter's Basilica that we all know from photographs was built about 500 years ago right on top of the old one.
That "canopy" which most of us have seen is directly over the site of Peter's tomb

xbernini-canopy.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HUv8x7CJds.jpg

Stairs in front of the altar lead down to the lower underground tombs, and further down to the original tomb:

confesio.png

Untitled.png

Last edited:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Discussion of doctrine isn't really the topic of this thread. The buildings are more the topic of this thread.

If you want to debate doctrine, please make a new thread..

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Old St. Peter's Basilica
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old St. Peter's Basilica was the building that stood, from the 4th to 16th centuries, where the new St. Peter's Basilica stands today in Vatican City. Construction of the basilica, built over the historical site of the Circus of Nero, began during the reign of Emperor Constantine I. The name "old St. Peter's Basilica" has been used since the construction of the current basilica to distinguish the two buildings.[1]

Since the crucifixion and burial of Saint Peter in 64 A.D., the spot was thought to be the location of the tomb of Saint Peter, where there stood a small shrine. With its increasing prestige the church became richly decorated with statues, furnishings and elaborate chandeliers, and side tombs and altars were continuously added.[1]

The structure was filled with tombs and bodies of saints and popes. Bones continued to be found in construction as late as February 1544.

The majority of these tombs were destroyed during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries demolition of Old St. Peter's Basilica (save one which was destroyed during the Saracen Sack of the church in 846). The remainder were translated in part to modern St. Peter's Basilica, which stands on the site of the original basilica, and a handful of other churches of Rome.

Along with the repeated translations from the ancient Catacombs of Rome and two fourteenth century fires in the Archbasilica of Saint John Lateran, the rebuilding of St. Peter's is responsible for the destruction of approximately half of all papal tombs. As a result, Donato Bramante, the chief architect of modern St. Peter's Basilica, has been remembered as "Maestro Ruinante".[16]

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Saint Peter's tomb
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saint Peter's tomb is a site under St. Peter's Basilica that includes several graves and a structure said by Vatican authorities to have been built to memorialize the location of Saint Peter's grave. St. Peter's tomb is near the west end of a complex of mausoleums that date between about AD 130 and AD 300.[1] The complex was partially torn down and filled with earth to provide a foundation for the building of the first St. Peter's Basilica during the reign of Constantine I in about AD 330. Though many bones have been found at the site of the 2nd-century shrine, as the result of two campaigns of archaeological excavation, Pope Pius XII stated in December 1950 that none could be confirmed to be Saint Peter's with absolute certainty.[2] Following the discovery of bones that had been transferred from a second tomb under the monument, on June 26, 1968, Pope Paul VI said that the relics of Saint Peter had been identified in a manner considered convincing.[3]

The grave lies at the foot of the aedicula beneath the floor. The remains of four individuals and several farm animals were found in this grave.[4] In 1953, after the initial archeological efforts had been completed, another set of bones were found that were said to have been removed without the archeologists' knowledge from a niche (loculus) in the north side of a wall (the graffiti wall) that abuts the red wall on the right of the aedicula. Subsequent testing indicated that these were the bones of a 60- to 70-year-old man.[5] Margherita Guarducci argued that these were the remains of Saint Peter and that they had been moved into a niche in the graffiti wall from the grave under the aedicula "at the time of Constantine, after the peace of the church" (313).[6] Antonio Ferrua, the archaeologist who headed the excavation that uncovered what is known as Saint Peter's Tomb, said that he wasn't convinced that the bones that were found were those of Saint Peter.[7]

The upper image shows the area of the lower floor of St. Peter's Basilica that lies above the site of Saint Peter's tomb. A portion of the aedicula that was part of Peter's tomb rose above level of this floor and was made into the Niche of the Pallium[8] which can be seen in the center of the image.

Death of Peter at Vatican Hill

The earliest reference to Saint Peter's death is in a letter of Clement, bishop of Rome, to the Corinthians (1 Clement, a.k.a. Letter to the Corinthians, written c. 96 AD). The historian Eusebius, a contemporary of Constantine, wrote that Peter "came to Rome, and was crucified with his head downwards," attributing this information to the much earlier theologian Origen, who died c. 254 AD.[9] St. Peter's martyrdom is traditionally depicted in religious iconography as crucifixion with his head pointed downward.

Peter's place and manner of death are also mentioned by Tertullian (c. 160–220) in Scorpiace,[10] where the death is said to take place during the Christian persecutions by Nero. Tacitus (56–117) describes the persecution of Christians in his Annals, though he does not specifically mention Peter.[11] "They were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt." Furthermore, Tertullian says these events took place in the imperial gardens near the Circus of Nero. No other area would have been available for public persecutions after the Great Fire of Rome destroyed the Circus Maximus and most of the rest of the city in the year 64 AD.

oatmeal

The question is one of historical evidence, not necessarily scriptural evidence. There is lots and lots of true real history that is not in the Bible.

Historically, we know that Peter visited Rome, and that Nero had him crucified in Rome.

After Christ’s death in Jerusalem, Peter became the head of the church. He traveled widely proclaiming the way of Jesus everywhere he went. He had been in Rome when persecution against Christians (who refused to worship the emperor) became increasingly frequent and violent. Warned that his life was in grave danger, he decided to flee the city following the Appian Way to safer ground. He got as far as the ground where (a) little church (now) stands.

In Latin, the church is called “Chiesa del Domine Quo Vadis.” In English, it literally means “The Church of ‘Lord, Where are You Going?’.” According to the apocryphal Acts of Peter, as Peter fled the city, it was here that he encountered the risen Christ. Peter saw Jesus walking in the opposite direction going back toward the city of Rome. Peter – astonished – asked Jesus, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus responded, “I am going back to Rome to be crucified again.”

Peter didn’t believe that following Jesus was just a philosophical endeavor or just a nice way to live, he believed that the divine life of Christ actually lived within him and within all believers. Earlier, he had recorded this in the New Testament:

Christ has given us . . . his precious and very great promises, so that through them you. . . may become participants of the divine nature. (2Pe 1:2-4)

Peter had given up his own life to live the life of Christ – to let Christ live through him. Because of this, Peter knew that Jesus was telling him to go back to Rome where, as a participant in the divine nature of Christ, he would be crucified. Peter would not be alone on that cross. Jesus was with him – living through him – crucified again. Peter was a participant in the divine nature of Jesus. As are all those who desire Christ.

Peter obeyed. He returned, was arrested, and crucified upside down on a cross.

As I sat in the little chapel, I prayed, “Domine Quo Vadis?” Lord, where are we going? How is the Spirit calling me to participate in the divine nature? Where does Christ want to take me? How can I be his hands and feet? It is an overwhelming, but joyful question – to know that wherever Christ sends me, he lives his life within me!

AW11 Church of Domine Quo Vadis 3
This stone marks the spot where Jesus met Peter on the Appian Way

View attachment 28
Church of Domine Quo Vadis
since history contradicts scripture on this one, I will go with scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.