HEBREWS 10 DOING THE WILL OF GOD

DougE

Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

The writer of Hebrews wanted the Hebrews to come to perfection (Hebrews 6:1). Perfection was not in the Levitical priesthood (Hebrews 7:11), nor in the sacrifices of the law; the law was only a shadow.

10:8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

The sacrifices of the law under the first covenant were supplanted by the sacrifice of Christ for the new testament (Hebrews 7:18-19).

10:11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Christ's sacrifice was for all sin for ever.

Christ by his once for all sacrifice, perfected the believing Hebrews.

10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

The Hebrews had the past witness of the Holy Ghost , as seen in Hebrews 2:4, by signs (Mark 16:20)and gifts of the Holy Ghost (Acts 2:4).

10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

The Holy Ghost witnessed in Jeremiah 31:31-34 that he would make a new covenant with the house of Israel and Judah which was restated to the Hebrews in verses 15 through 17 above.

The writer of Hebrews wrote of the new covenant because he was writing to the believing remnant of Israel, who believed the preaching of Christ and the twelve apostles. The remnant believed Christ was Messiah, the Son of God (John 20:31), and the gospel of the kingdom (Matthew 4:23), wherein they would reign with Christ in the Davidic earthly kingdom (Revelation 20:4 Exodus 19:5-6 Daniel 7:18 Daniel 7:27). In the regeneration, the restoration of Israel in the kingdom, Christ will sit on the throne of David in Jerusalem (Isaiah 2:1-3 2 Samuel 7:16 Luke 1:32-33 Acts 2:30), and the twelve will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel (Matthew 19:28 Revelation 21:12).

10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

It was by the sacrifice of Christ, the satisfactory remission of all sin, that God could be just in forgiving the transgressions of Israel under the first covenant (Romans 3:25) that they might receive the promise of inheritance under the new covenant (Hebrews 9:15 Hebrews 6:12).

10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

10:21 And having an high priest over the house of God;

Entering the holiest of the temple, and high priests, are terms directed to a Hebrew audience, thereby designating this epistle as being for the remnant of Israel.

10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Once again, the language here lends to support the premise that this book is for Israel. Drawing near to God was a provision for Israel under covenant (Zechariah 1:3 Malachi 3:7 James 4:8 Hebrews 7:19). The Hebrews were to draw near in assurance of faith and have their hearts sprinkled (Hebrews 9:14 1 Peter 1:2), and their bodies washed (Ezekiel 36:25 Numbers 19:19 1 Peter 3:21).

10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Under the law there was no sacrifice for deliberate sin, and for the Hebrews, there is no sacrifice that will make provision for it to allow entrance into the kingdom on earth.

10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

The only ones that could count the blood of the covenant unholy, would be unbelieving Israel, as only Israel was given covenants (Romans 9:4).

10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

That Israel is in view, is further upheld by being those people judged by the Lord (Deuteronomy 32:36 Psalm 50:4 Psalm 135:14).

10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Israel had to exhibit patience and do the will of God in order to enter the kingdom (Hebrews 12:1 Romans 2:7 Matthew 7:21).

10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

The Lord Jesus will come to establish the kingdom promised the Israel of God (1 Kings 9:5 James 2:5). Believing Israel will receive salvation at the coming of the Lord (Acts 3:19 Jeremiah 30:7 Matthew 10:22).

Israel had to remain steadfast (Psalm 78:37 Hebrews 3:14 1 Peter 5:9), and faithful (Matthew 25:21 Luke 16:12 Revelation 2:10), to enter into that kingdom on earth and be given authority (Luke 19:17).

Israel had to refrain from forsaking the confidence of their profession of faith to receive the full reward awaiting at the coming of Christ (1 Peter 1:13), to be partakers of his glory (1 Peter 5:1) in the kingdom. To enter the kingdom Israel had to endure to the end (Matthew 24:13 Hebrews 3:14 Hebrews 6:11).

Last edited: