HEBREWS 6 & 7 IF THEY SHALL FALL AWAY

DougE

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

6:3 And this will we do, if God permit.

6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

The writer of Hebrews is speaking to Jews who have believed. They would fall away by casting away their confidence in Christ Jesus and not remaining steadfast until the end (Hebrews 3:6 Hebrews 3:14).

They would crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame by reverting back to the Levitical priesthood and the sacrifices. To escape persecution they would knowingly turn away from the profession of faith in Christ Jesus (Hebrews 4:14 Hebrews 10:23).

The Hebrews were being urged to go onto perfection in verse 1. Perfection could not be found in the Levitical priesthood according to Hebrews 7:11.

They could not be renewed again to repentance just as Esau, who gave up his birthright for temporal reward, found no place of repentance that would be able to restore his blessing of inheritance (Hebrews 12:16-17).

6:7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:

6:8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

6:9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

Entrance into the kingdom on earth was conditional. Entrance required faithfulness (Matthew 25:21), fruitfulness(John 15:2), and righteousness (Matthew 5:20). Israel had to be fruitful or be burned in the fire and denied the kingdom ((Hebrews 6:8 Matthew 7:19 Matthew 13:49-50). The unfaithful, unprofitable believer would be denied the kingdom and thrown into outer darkness (Matthew 8:11-12 Matthew 22:13 Matthew 25:30).

6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

6:12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

The Hebrews had to be faithful in order to inherit their promises. In this dispensation of grace we have full assurance of our salvation (2 Corinthians 1:20 Galatians 3:22 1 Corinthians 1:8 Ephesians 1:13).

6:13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,

6:14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.

6:15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.

6:18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

The two immutable things are found in the oath "Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee."

Israel had full assurance of their promises by the immutable oath of God if they remained faithful and steadfast to endure until the end.

7:1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;

7:2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

7:3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

Melchisedec was not the Son of God, but was made like unto the Son of God (Hebrews 7:15).

7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

Israel was to be perfect (Deuteronomy 18:13 Matthew 5:48). Neither the Levitical priesthood, nor the law, could make the believers perfect.

7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

The law had to be changed by necessity in order to accommodate the change of priesthood. The law was only changed in respect to the priesthood.

7:28 For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.

The word of the oath has established an anchor of hope which can never fail the believer. The word of the oath has forever made Christ Jesus, the Son of God, a priest after the order of Melchisedec.

Theo102

6:13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,

6:14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.

6:15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.

6:18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

The two immutable things are found in the oath "Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee."

Israel had full assurance of their promises by the immutable oath of God if they remained faithful and steadfast to endure until the end.

The promise was made to Abraham, not to Israel. Genesis 22:16-18.

DougE

The promise was made to Abraham, not to Israel. Genesis 22:16-18.

Right....The promise given to Abraham was that he would be blessed and multiplied...these are the two immutable things in verse 18 by which, Israel could be assured that their promises are secured.

Theo102

Right....The promise given to Abraham was that he would be blessed and multiplied...these are the two immutable things in verse 18 by which, Israel could be assured that their promises are secured.

No, the promises don't mention Israel. The promises to Abraham could have been fulfilled through Ishmael.

Bradley D

No, the promises don't mention Israel. The promises to Abraham could have been fulfilled through Ishmael.

Ishmael's mother was the Egyptian slave named Haga. God told Abraham that his wife would bear him a son (Issac) that he would fulfill the promises.

Theo102

Ishmael's mother was the Egyptian slave named Haga. God told Abraham that his wife would bear him a son (Issac) that he would fulfill the promises.

No, the covenant of Genesis 17 was different, it related to circumcision and to the land of Canaan.

DougE

Israel could have confidence in their promises (Romans 9:4 Hebrews 6:12) because the promise to Abraham was fulfilled in Isaac (Genesis 15:4-6).

Theo102

Israel could have confidence in their promises (Romans 9:4 Hebrews 6:12) because the promise to Abraham was fulfilled in Isaac (Genesis 15:4-6).

No, you are conflating to different covenants. Genesis 15 says nothing about Isaac and describes a different covenant to the covenant of circumcision of Genesis 17 which mentions Isaac.

genuineoriginal

The Hebrews had to be faithful in order to inherit their promises. In this dispensation of grace we have full assurance of our salvation
Christians do not have full assurance of our salvation unless we continue in His goodness.

Romans 11:20-22
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Christians do not have full assurance of our salvation unless we continue in His goodness.

20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

Yes we do have full assurance, eternal security

​​​​​​ [h=1]John 10:27-30 Christian Standard Bible (CSB)[/h]
27 My sheep hear my voice, I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all. No one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

genuineoriginal

Yes we do have full assurance, eternal security

As long as your name is written in the Book of the Living, you will receive eternal life in the Resurrection.
However, take heed of your walk, for your name can be blotted out.
If your name is blotted out from the Book of the Living, then you will end up in the lake of fire instead of in the Kingdom of God.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As long as your name is written in the Book of the Living, you will receive eternal life in the Resurrection.
However, take heed of your walk, for your name can be blotted out.
If your name is blotted out from the Book of the Living, then you will end up in the lake of fire instead of in the Kingdom of God.

Per what text?

genuineoriginal

Per what text?
As believers in Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, our names are written in the Book of the Living.

Philippians 4:3
3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

If we do not overcome, we are in danger of having our names blotted out from the Book of the Living.

Revelation 3:5
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

If out name is blotted out from the Book of the Living, it won't be found and we will be cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:15
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Your name can be removed from the Book of the Living, and if that happens you will not have any part of the Kingdom of God in the world to come.

Revelation 22:19
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

DougE

This is not speaking of the believers in the body of Christ. The Gentiles being spoken of are part of the remnant of believing Israel who believed the gospel of the kingdom preached by Jesus and the twelve to Israel.

DougE

As believers in Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, our names are written in the Book of the Living.

Philippians 4:3
3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

If we do not overcome, we are in danger of having our names blotted out from the Book of the Living.

Revelation 3:5
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

If out name is blotted out from the Book of the Living, it won't be found and we will be cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:15
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Your name can be removed from the Book of the Living, and if that happens you will not have any part of the Kingdom of God in the world to come.

Revelation 22:19
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Those in the book of life are the believing remnant of Israel not the body of Christ.
The women Paul is speaking of in Philippians 4:3 are believers in the remnant of Israel not the body of Christ. There were a lot of Jews in Christ by the gospel of the kingdom who helped Paul.

Right Divider

Body part

Cherry picking at its finest.

Bradley D

No, the covenant of Genesis 17 was different, it related to circumcision and to the land of Canaan.

No Ishmael would not ever fulfill the promise.

"And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. 16And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her. Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear? And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee! And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac:I and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him. And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation. But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year. And he left off talking with him, and God went up from Abraham" (Gen. 17:15-22).

DougE

Cherry picking at its finest.

Romans 11:22 is not about Gentiles in the church, the body of Christ being cut off, but rather Gentiles who believed the gospel of the kingdom and are part of the little flock, the believing remnant of Israel. This can be seen by Romans 9:24-27 which speaks of the remnant and the Gentiles being called as well. They had to endure to the end to enter the kingdom on earth (Matthew 10:22).

DougE

Romans 11:22 is not about Gentiles in the church, the body of Christ being cut off, but rather Gentiles who believed the gospel of the kingdom and are part of the little flock, the believing remnant of Israel. This can be seen by Romans 9:24-27 which speaks of the remnant and the Gentiles being called as well. They had to endure to the end to enter the kingdom on earth (Matthew 10:22).

Right Divider

Body part

Yes... this is the fundamental problem with those that do not right divide the Word of Truth.
They mash and mix things that do not belong together and create complete confusion.