WHICH CHURCH WAS HEBREWS WRITTEN TO?

God's Truth

That's not exactly what He said. But you do tend to twist His words to force them to "support" your "story".

Jesus says his body and blood are the new covenant.

Matthew 26:28
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

1 Corinthians 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Romans 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

When a person is saved, they repent of their sins and believe that Jesus shed blood on the cross takes away their sins. They are in the covenant with God when they are saved.

Shasta

Paul never tells any gentiles that they are or need to be under a covenant.

God does say that He will make a new covenant with Israel (Jeremiah, Hebrews).

There is no new covenant for the body of Christ. There is no need for a covenant to be saved by grace through faith.

Paul taught the Gentile believers in Corinth to drink of the cup of the New Covenant in His blood Would he have taught them to do that if the New Covenant was only for the subset of Jews living in some future age? Would he say his blood was poured out for MANY if it was only going to benefit 12 people? It is clearly NOT true that God EXCLUDED Gentiles in the body of Christ from being participants in the New Covenant. Drinking of the cup WITH the Jews showed that they were fellow-partakers of that same promise. It does not matter if it is not mentioned in Jeremiah 31, not if the Lord HIMSELF says the Gentiles would be part of the covenant.

16 Is not the cup of blessing that we bless a PARTICIPATION in the BLOOD OF CHRIST? And is not the bread that we break a PARTICIPATION in the BODY OF CHRIST?
17 Because there is one loaf, we who are many are one body; for WE ALL PARTAKE OF ONE LOAF. 18 Consider the people of Israel: Are not those who eat the sacrifices FELLOW PARTAKERS in the altar?
(1 Corinthians 10:16-17)

The only reason believing Gentiles could be a part of ONE BODY with believing Jews is because both groups share the benefits of a common sacrifice - that of Jesus the Lamb of God. Partaking of ONE bread and ONE blood makes the groups one. For us, the ALTAR where the Lamb was sacrificed was THE CROSS. To reject the meaning of the cup of the new covenant in his blood is equivalent to rejecting the cross where His flesh was torn and His blood was poured out.

DougE

Jesus says his body and blood are the new covenant.

Matthew 26:28
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

1 Corinthians 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Romans 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

When a person is saved, they repent of their sins and believe that Jesus shed blood on the cross takes away their sins. They are in the covenant with God when they are saved.

Romans 11:27 is speaking of taking away the sins of Israel

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Paul is speaking to all, Gentiles alike.

He's speaking to Gentiles....

... about Israel.

Did Jesus take away your sins?

Nope. I was crucified in Christ the day I believed, and I am now dead to the law, but alive to God because Christ, who was raised from the dead, lives in Me.

And because I am dead to the law, sin cannot be imputed to me, because those who are dead are no longer under the law.

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection,knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.For he who has died has been freed from sin.Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him.For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. - Romans 6:1-14 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans6:1-14&version=NKJV

In other words: Death has no hold over me, because sin cannot be assigned to me any longer. I am forgiven of ALL my sins, simply by believing in Christ.

Why do I say "death"?

Because the law, the ten commandments, the mosaic law, ALL OF IT...

Is the ministry of death.

But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels.For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious. - 2 Corinthians 3:7-11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Corinthians3:7-11&version=NKJV

(NOTICE: Paul in this passage is contrasting the LAW (the ministry of death, the ministry of condemnation, what is passing away) with GRACE (the ministry of the Spirit, the ministry of righteousness, what remains). In other words, two different gospels. The law is good news if you can keep the law. That is how it is portrayed by everyone in both the old and the new covenants, and so their message is to keep the law. PAUL however, says it's NOT good news, because NO ONE can keep it, save the One who died on the Cross, and as such PAUL's "good news" was that you don't HAVE to NOR SHOULD YOU keep the law.

Completely OPPOSITE of what the twelve taught.)

Even circumcision is symbolic of the cutting off of the flesh, which is symbolic of death. To be cut off is a Hebrew idiom that means either premature death, as in, put to death, or to be cast out from the community.

That's why circumcision is used as a synonym for and symbol of the entire Mosaic law.

Yes? Then it is the covenant you entered.

Why, GT, do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the Body of Christ which neither the fathers of Israel nor Israel herself was able to bear?

Paul is plain as day that we are saved not by works, but by grace through faith in Jesus Christ our Lord, not justified by works of the law, for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

God's Truth

He's speaking to Gentiles....

... about Israel.
It is about Israel and Gentiles.

Jews first then Gentiles.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Romans 2:9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile;

Acts 3:26 When God raised up His servant, He sent Him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."

Acts 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: "We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles.

Acts 18:6 But when they opposed and insulted him, he shook out his garments and told them, "Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent of it. From now on I will go to the Gentiles."

Nope. I was crucified in Christ the day I believed, and I am now dead to the law, but alive to God because Christ, who was raised from the dead, lives in Me.

And because I am dead to the law, sin cannot be imputed to me, because those who are dead are no longer under the law.

We are dead to the old law and dead to sin.

We are under Christ's law.

There is a new law; it is the old law with some changes.

Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection,knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.For he who has died has been freed from sin.Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him.For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. - Romans 6:1-14 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans6:1-14&version=NKJV

In other words: Death has no hold over me, because sin cannot be assigned to me any longer. I am forgiven of ALL my sins, simply by believing in Christ.

If you keep sinning and not repenting, then sin reigns in you. We have to train ourselves and work out our salvation. We are to live up to what we have received. I can give you scripture references to all of that.

Why do I say "death"?

Because the law, the ten commandments, the mosaic law, ALL OF IT...

Is the ministry of death.
It was the minister of death because death was the punishment.

But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels.For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious. - 2 Corinthians 3:7-11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Corinthians3:7-11&version=NKJV

(NOTICE: Paul in this passage is contrasting the LAW (the ministry of death, the ministry of condemnation, what is passing away) with GRACE (the ministry of the Spirit, the ministry of righteousness, what remains).

Right, and Jesus gave us the new law.

In other words, two different gospels. The law is good news if you can keep the law.
Where is the old law called the good news?

That is how it is portrayed by everyone in both the old and the new covenants, and so their message is to keep the law. PAUL however, says it's NOT good news, because NO ONE can keep it, save the One who died on the Cross, and as such PAUL's "good news" was that you don't HAVE to NOR SHOULD YOU keep the law.

Of course there are people who kept the old law; and, the saved in Christ keep the old law.

Those who had a hard time keeping the old law are the Jews who didn't have faith.

Completely OPPOSITE of what the twelve taught.)

You haven't proved the twelve taught differently than Paul.

Not only that, you don't realize that people obeyed the old law. I can give you scriptures if you want.

True believers uphold the law. See Romans 3:31.

Even circumcision is symbolic of the cutting off of the flesh, which is symbolic of death. To be cut off is a Hebrew idiom that means either premature death, as in, put to death, or to be cast out from the community.
What? Give the scriptures for that. Circumcision of the flesh was a sign that one was in a covenant with God, and was a special person to Him.

That's why circumcision is used as a synonym for and symbol of the entire Mosaic law.

Why, GT, do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the Body of Christ which neither the fathers of Israel nor Israel herself was able to bear?

Jesus didn't teach the old law, he taught the new law, and he said it was an easy yoke.

You say hard to bear because you don't understand what that is pertaining to; because Jesus says not hard.
Paul is plain as day that we are saved not by works, but by grace through faith in Jesus Christ our Lord, not justified by works of the law, for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Paul is explaining that we are not saved by the PURIFICATION WORKS of the law.

That is what the works of the law are.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
It is about Israel and Gentiles.

Right, but Paul is talking to Gentiles about Israel being cut off and the gentiles being grafted in.

Jews first then Gentiles.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Romans 2:9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile;

. . .

Acts 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: "We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles.

Acts 18:6 But when they opposed and insulted him, he shook out his garments and told them, "Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent of it. From now on I will go to the Gentiles."

Yes, everywhere Paul went where there were Jews, he went to them first, and then preached to the Gentiles. That's what he's doing in those passages in Acts. It's simply describing the order in which Paul visited those he preached to.

Or do you not realize that Paul visited several locations early in his ministry where he focused on the Jews first, and then went to the gentiles? And did you not notice how he stops going to the Jews after a certain point?

Acts 3:26 When God raised up His servant, He sent Him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."

You shouldn't cherry pick verses.

Context is important.

Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before,whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.For Moses truly said to the fathers, ‘The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren. Him you shall hear in all things, whatever He says to you.And it shall be that every soul who will not hear that Prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.’Yes, and all the prophets, from Samuel and those who follow, as many as have spoken, have also foretold these days.You are sons of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying to Abraham, ‘And in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.’To you first, God, having raised up His Servant Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from your iniquities.” - Acts 3:19-26 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts3:19-26&version=NKJV

Also, there's no word "first" in the text.

You shouldn't insert words into the text just so it will support your false beliefs. And if the word was in the Bible you use, you should stop using it, as it changes what is being said beyond what was originally written.

We are dead to the old law and dead to sin.

We are under Christ's law.

These two sentences are contradictory.

Only one of them can be true at a time.

You: We are under the law
Paul: We who are dead in Christ are no longer under the law.

I'm gonna go with Paul on this one.

Or have you forgotten (or perhaps never read) what Paul said in Romans 7?

Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband.So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter. - Romans 7:1-6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans7:1-6&version=NKJV

We ARE NOT under any law.

Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

You're quoting a verse about the law in a book written to the people of the law, Israel.

Tell me how that doesn't support my position.

To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

You really need to pay attention to the context, instead of cherry picking verses, GT.

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more;and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law;to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law;to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you. - 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Corinthians9:19-23&version=NKJV

If you keep sinning and not repenting, then sin reigns in you.

False.

Did you not read the last verse there?

Here it is again:

For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. - Romans 6:14 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans6:14&version=NKJV

Do you not know what "dominion" means?

We have to train ourselves and work out our salvation.

Saying it doesn't make it so.

We are to live up to what we have received. I can give you scripture references to all of that.

False.

And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. - Romans 6:13 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans6:13&version=NKJV

The verse says "ministry," not minister. Why are you trying to put us back under the ministry of death? Please pay attention.

False.

There is no "new law."

Grace is not law, GT.

Stop trying to make Grace into Law.

No such thing as "the old law."

You missed it:

But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, - 2 Corinthians 3:7 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Corinthians3:7&version=NKJV

The Law of Moses is what is being referred to and is what we are talking about here.

Or do you not know that Moses brought the 10 commandments (which represent the whole law God later gave to Israel) down from the mountain, written on two tablets of stone?

Of course there are people who kept the old law; and, the saved in Christ keep the old law.

Wrong.

Those saved in Christ are NOT UNDER ANY LAW, as per Paul.

Those who had a hard time keeping the old law are the Jews who didn't have faith.

Which has nothing to do with this.

I just did!

Here's more evidence:

The twelve taught "KEEP THE LAW."

Paul said, "Don't keep the law, because it's a curse!"

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.”Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree” ),that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. - Galatians 3:10-14 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians3:10-14&version=NKJV

Not only that, you don't realize that people obeyed the old law.

And where ANY of them failed, they failed at keeping the whole law. Which is why, prior to Christ's sacrifice, they needed the sacrificial laws.

I can give you scriptures if you want.

:yawn:

"Upholding the law" and "being under the law" are two completely different things.

What? Give the scriptures for that. Circumcision of the flesh was a sign that one was in a covenant with God, and was a special person to Him.

http://www.messianicjudaism.me/musings/2011/04/29/karet-or-being-cut-off-in-torah/

Jesus didn't teach the old law, he taught the new law, and he said it was an easy yoke.

He reinforced the Mosaic law.

You say hard to bear because you don't understand what that is pertaining to; because Jesus says not hard.

I'm not the one who said it, GT. Peter did.

I was paraphrasing Peter when I wrote that for you.

Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? - Acts 15:10 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts15:10&version=NKJV

Honestly, GT, it's like you don't know the Bible at all!

FALSE.

Paul calls the law written and engraved on stone the ministry of death.

That's the 10 commandments.

The 10 commandments are used as a synecdoche for the whole law, from the laws prohibiting certain foods, to the laws explaining when to sacrifice, to the laws against murder, theft, adultery, bearing false witness, and coveteousness.

THE WHOLE LAW!

Again, since you missed it:

God's Truth

Right, but Paul is talking to Gentiles about Israel being cut off and the gentiles being grafted in.

Not all of Israel was cut off. The branches are people.

Since you acknowledge that the Gentiles are grafted in, why can’t you accept it that it is the one and only way to be saved for Jew and Gentile?
Yes, everywhere Paul went where there were Jews, he went to them first, and then preached to the Gentiles. That's what he's doing in those passages in Acts. It's simply describing the order in which Paul visited those he preached to.

Or do you not realize that Paul visited several locations early in his ministry where he focused on the Jews first, and then went to the gentiles? And did you not notice how he stops going to the Jews after a certain point?
Jews first is what Jesus did, and Paul had to do the same.

You shouldn't cherry pick verses.

Context is important.

You can’t put any scripture aside; and, I know about context.

Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,and that He may send Jesus Christ,

That is about WHEN JESUS CAME the first time.

who was preached to you before,whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.For Moses truly said to the fathers, ‘The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren. Him you shall hear in all things, whatever He says to you.And it shall be that every soul who will not hear that Prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.’Yes, and all the prophets, from Samuel and those who follow, as many as have spoken, have also foretold these days.You are sons of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying to Abraham, ‘And in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.’To you first, God, having raised up His Servant Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from your iniquities.” - Acts 3:19-26
Again, it proves it is about WHEN Jesus came the FIRST time.

You shouldn't insert words into the text just so it will support your false beliefs. And if the word was in the Bible you use, you should stop using it, as it changes what is being said beyond what was originally written.
I do no such thing.
These two sentences are contradictory.

Only one of them can be true at a time.
Paul is under Christ’s law. Jesus didn’t preach the old law. Jesus fulfilled the old law and changes were made.

You: We are under the law
Paul: We who are dead in Christ are no longer under the law.

No longer under the OLD LAW, and I gave you scripture that says we are under Christ’s law.

It is the law of Christ; see 1 Corinthians 9:21, and Galatians 6:2.

I'm gonna go with Paul on this one.

Okay, good, but Paul says he is under Christ’s law.

Or have you forgotten (or perhaps never read) what Paul said in Romans 7?

Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband.So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter. - Romans 7:1-6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...6&version=NKJV

We ARE NOT under any law.

It is the law of Christ; see 1 Corinthians 9:21, and Galatians 6:2.
And Paul says he is under it.

You're quoting a verse about the law in a book written to the people of the law, Israel.
It is about the one and only new law of Christ.

Tell me how that doesn't support my position.

You really need to pay attention to the context, instead of cherry picking verses, GT.

Is that the way you are going to deal with things you find difficult?

False.

Did you not read the last verse there?

Here it is again:

For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. - Romans 6:14 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...4&version=NKJV

Do you not know what "dominion" means?

GT said: We have to train ourselves and work out our salvation.

Saying it doesn't make it so.
Here are many scriptures proving you wrong:

Train ourselves. Work out our salvation.

Luke 6:40 A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.

Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

1 Corinthians 9:25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

1 Timothy 4:7, 8 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Titus 2:4 Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children,

Hebrews 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

God's Truth

GT said: We are to live up to what we have received. I can give you scripture references to all of that.

False.

Philippians 3:16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

The verse says "ministry," not minister.

Finding a typo means what?

Why are you trying to put us back under the ministry of death? Please pay attention.

False.

There is no "new law."

Grace is not law, GT.

Stop trying to make Grace into Law.

Grace is that we don’t have to get circumcised and sacrifice animals, etc.

Grace is that we don’t have to clean ourselves because Jesus cleans us.

It doesn’t mean we don’t have to obey.

Grace is not, “Good news, no one has to obey God anymore.”

No such thing as "the old law."
There is such a thing:

2 Corinthians 3:10
Indeed, what was once glorious has no glory now in comparison to the glory that surpasses it.

1 Corinthians 9:21
To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.

As a side note: So you didn’t say the law of Moses was the good news?
You missed it:

But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, - 2 Corinthians 3:7 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...7&version=NKJV

The Law of Moses is what is being referred to and is what we are talking about here.

Or do you not know that Moses brought the 10 commandments (which represent the whole law God later gave to Israel) down from the mountain, written on two tablets of stone?

Jesus didn’t do away with the do not’s and the do’s.

GT said: Of course there are people who kept the old law; and, the saved in Christ keep the old law.
Wrong.

Here are scriptures that show people obeyed the whole law:

Genesis 15:6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
Genesis 22:18 and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."

Genesis 38:26 And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I;

Job 1:1, 8 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God...

1 Kings 15:5 For David had done what was right in the eyes of the LORD and had not failed to keep any of the LORD's commands all the days of his life--except in the case of Uriah the Hittite.

Psalm is full of scriptures about righteous people.

Psalm 11:7 For the righteous Lord loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.

Proverbs is full with teachings on the righteous.

Proverbs 10:11 The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.

Ecclesiastes speaks of righteousness.

Ecclesiastes 3:17 I said in mine heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.

Isaiah

Isaiah 3:10 Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.

Ezekiel 14:14 Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord God.

Luke 1:30 But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid,Mary; you have found favor with God.

Luke 1:5In the time of Herod king of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah, and whose wife Elizabeth was a daughter of Aaron. 6They were both righteous in the sight of God, walkingblamelessly in all the commandments anddecrees of the Lord.

Acts 10:22 The men replied, "We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people.

...and more.

God's Truth

Those saved in Christ are NOT UNDER ANY LAW, as per Paul.

Which has nothing to do with this.

I just did!

Here's more evidence:

The twelve taught "KEEP THE LAW."

Paul said, "Don't keep the law, because it's a curse!"

You just said no one can keep the law!

Now remember how you said that and then remember what you said here and maybe it will come to you.
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.”Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree” ),that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. - Galatians 3:10-14
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...4&version=NKJV
Think about Galatians some more.
Think about whether or not Paul told the Galatians they fell from grace because they obey Jesus too much, or because they were talked into doing the purification works?
And where ANY of them failed, they failed at keeping the whole law. Which is why, prior to Christ's sacrifice, they needed the sacrificial laws.

There was no sacrifice for murder, adultery, etc.

"Upholding the law" and "being under the law" are two completely different things.
You said the saved don’t have to obey the law.

http://www.messianicjudaism.me/musin...-off-in-torah/
I don’t go to the site of Jews to learn about Jesus.

He reinforced the Mosaic law.

He reinforced it? Give the scripture that says that.

Jesus fulfilled it and changed it.

I'm not the one who said it, GT. Peter did.
No he didn’t. Peter did not say obeying Jesus was too hard! He was speaking about doing the purification works.
I was paraphrasing Peter when I wrote that for you.

Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? - Acts 15:10 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...0&version=NKJV

No way was that about the things Jesus taught!

Honestly, GT, it's like you don't know the Bible at all!

Sad.
FALSE.

Paul calls the law written and engraved on stone the ministry of death.
Jesus taught the Spirit.

Don’t you know that?

John 6:63 The words I have spoken to you--they are full of the Spirit and life.

That's the 10 commandments.

The 10 commandments are used as a synecdoche for the whole law, from the laws prohibiting certain foods, to the laws explaining when to sacrifice, to the laws against murder, theft, adultery, bearing false witness, and coveteousness.

THE WHOLE LAW!

Loving God and your neighbor is the whole law.

You can’t love God and your neighbor if you are breaking the commandments.

Again, since you missed it:

But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels.For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious. - 2 Corinthians 3:7-11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...1&version=NKJV
Jesus didn’t give the ministry of death. He was not a minister of death.

Right Divider

Body part
What Jesus said was that the CUP of the New Covenant would be created by means of His torn body and poured out blood

In the CONTEXT of the NEW COVENANT.... it's with ISRAEL... just like the Bible says.

Jer 31:31-33 KJV Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: (32) Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: (33) But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Your beef is with God and His Word.

DougE

Paul is speaking to all, Gentiles alike.

Did Jesus take away your sins?

Yes? Then it is the covenant you entered.

In Romans 9, 10, and 11 Paul is dealing with Israel

Romans 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

In Romans 11 it is clear Paul is talking of the restoration of Israel and the covenant is with them

Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

We are justified freely without covenants

Right Divider

Body part

Romans 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

In Romans 11 it is clear Paul is talking of the restoration of Israel and the covenant is with them

Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

It's truly sad how so many fight this and twist the scripture on its head in the process.

God's Truth

Think about it more carefully---justified. We are freely justified. How was one in the old covenant justified? They were justified by doing many works of the law called the purification works.

Now we don't work at cleaning ourselves to justify ourselves, because now Jesus does the work and cleaning for us.

That means we no longer have to get circumcised, no longer do various external baths, no longer adhere to a special diet, and longer sacrifice animals.

It STILL MEANS we have to do right by obeying God and repent of our sins.

DougE

Think about it more carefully---justified. We are freely justified. How was one in the old covenant justified? They were justified by doing many works of the law called the purification works.

Now we don't work at cleaning ourselves to justify ourselves, because now Jesus does the work and cleaning for us.

That means we no longer have to get circumcised, no longer do various external baths, no longer adhere to a special diet, and longer sacrifice animals.

It STILL MEANS we have to do right by obeying God and repent of our sins.

Yes we are created unto good works, but not for salvation.

God's Truth

Yes we are created unto good works, but not for salvation.

The purification works are the works no one has to do anymore.

As for you saying we are created unto good works, but not for salvation---salvation isn't even for anyone who doesn't do right.

The gospel is given to those who do right: Acts 13:26 "Fellow children of Abraham and you God-fearing Gentiles, it is to us that this message of salvation has been sent

Jesus accepts those who do right: Acts 10:35 but that in every nation those who fear Him and live good lives are acceptable to Him.

Shasta

Romans 11:27 is speaking of taking away the sins of Israel

17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were GRAFTED IN among them, and have become a FELLOW-PARTAKER of the fatness of the root of the olive tree,
(Romans 11:27)
This passage speaks in the present tense to Gentile believers in Jesus who the Apostle says HAVE BEEN are grafted into the "fatness" (or blessings or nourishment) of the ROOT along with believing Israel. He is not talking about what WILL happen but what had happened already. The "root" of the cultivated olive tree is the heritage of faith Israel inherited from the Patriarchs and prophets. He says Gentile believers like wild olive branches have (through Christ) been grafted into the ROOT of the "domesticated" plant of Israel. When one branch is grafted into a larger plant in this way it becomes ORGANICALLY INSEPARABLE from it. Thus, Paul's point is not at all true that Gentiles and Jews are comprise two redemptively SEPARATE groups.

24 For if you WERE CUT OFF out of the naturally wild olive tree, and contrary to nature were grafted into A CULTIVATED OLIVE TREE [singular], how much more will these, the natural, be grafted into the own olive tree!
(Romans 11:24)

Paul worked very hard to persuade people that the wall of division between believing Jews and Gentiles was torn down:
11 Therefore remember that formerly you—the Gentiles in the flesh, the ones being called the uncircumcision by that being called the circumcision, made by hands in the flesh— 12 that at that time you were SEPARATE from Christ, ALIENATED from the commonwealth of Israel, and STRANGERS TO THE COVENANTS of the promise, not having hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you, the ones once being far off, have become near by the blood of Christ.
(Romans 11:11-13)

Here Paul speaks of the condition the Gentiles were in before salvation.
1. SEPARATE from Christ
2. ALIENATED from the Commonwealth of Israel
3. STRANGERS to the Covenants of promise

The fact that he uses the PAST TENSE shows that the Gentile believers have transcended their former state.
By contrast your doctrine holds that Gentile believers
1. ARE alienated from the Commonwealth of Israel, that they
2. ARE strangers to the Covenants of promise In fact, you claim that Gentile believers HAVE NO COVENANT AT ALL with Christ, even though they were taught to drink of a common "cup of the New Covenant IN Christ's BLOOD"

After discussing the spiritual state of unbelieving Gentiles in Romans 11:11-13 Paul goes on to explain what the blood of Christ has done for Jews and Gentile's relationship with each other:

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made the two [Jews and Gentiles] one and has torn down the DIVIDING WALL OF HOSTILITY 15
by abolishing in His flesh the law of commandments and decrees. He did this to create in Himself ONE NEW MAN out of the two,thus making peace 16 and reconciling both of them to God in one body THROUGH THE CROSS, by which He EXTINGUISHED their hostility
(Ephesians 2:14-15)
By contrast, you seem intent on UNDOING the reconciliation unity wrought by Christ on the cross and resurrecting the old wall of separation that divides believing Jews and Gentiles into two separate camps

It is true that ONE DAY all Israel WILL be saved but they will be saved the same way everyone else is - through the cross of Christ.

22 And the righteousness of God is through faith from Jesus Christ toward ALL THOSE BELIEVING. For there is NO DISTINCTION, 23 for ALL HAVE SINNED and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a PROPITIATION through faith IN HIS BLOOD, for a showing forth of His righteousness, because of the forbearance of the sins having taken place beforehand,
(Romans 3:22-24)

You obviously do not like the idea of covenants and your prejudice keeps you from seeing that Jesus said the cup they drank of represented the new covenant in His blood. In that culture drinking of the same cup and eating of the same bread represented participation in a common experience and mutual fellowship. We only have a relationship with someone when our differences have been reconciled and we are at peace. Christ's death on the cross is what enables us peace with God:

20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace by the blood of His cross through Him, whether the things on the earth or the things in the heavens.
21 And you, being once alienated and hostile in mind, in the evil deeds, 22 but now He has reconciled in HIS BODY of flesh THROUGH DEATH, to present you holy and unblemished and blameless before Him,
(Colossians 1:20-21)

Last edited: