WHICH CHURCH WAS HEBREWS WRITTEN TO?

DougE

The book of Hebrews was written to the kingdom church, the believing remnant of Israel, undergoing persecution and scattered (Acts 8:1-4).

This book is not written directly to the church today, the body of Christ, although it is most profitable for our understanding. Misunderstanding doctrine in this book can be a snare to the believer and impact assurance of salvation.

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

God spoke in time past unto the fathers of Israel, and the us to whom the Son has spoken to, are the children of Israel.

The book of Hebrews is dealing with "these last days". The last days are spoken of as pertaining to the time in which the Davidic kingdom will be established on earth, in which, Christ will reign upon David's throne from Jerusalem along with the believing remnant of Israel (Isaiah 2:2-3 Luke 12:32).

1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

Christ, by his own blood, entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for believing Israel (Hebrews 9:12). Christ died for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament (Hebrews 9:15).

1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Christ will establish his prophetic kingdom on earth (Psalm 45:6 Isaiah 9:6-7 Daniel 2:44).

fzappa13

There is only one Church. Paul would occasionally specify a location or, as in this instance a subject, but as I'm sure you will recall he pointed out that THE (singular) body of Christ is undivided.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
There is only one Church. Paul would occasionally specify a location or, as in this instance a subject, but as I'm sure you will recall he pointed out that THE (singular) body of Christ is undivided.

Is this the 'one Church' ?

Act 19:32 Some therefore cried one thing, and some another: for the assembly[ekklesia] was confused; and the more part knew not wherefore they were come together.

God's Truth

The book of Hebrews was written to the kingdom church, the believing remnant of Israel, undergoing persecution and scattered (Acts 8:1-4).

This book is not written directly to the church today, the body of Christ, although it is most profitable for our understanding. Misunderstanding doctrine in this book can be a snare to the believer and impact assurance of salvation.

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

God spoke in time past unto the fathers of Israel, and the us to whom the Son has spoken to, are the children of Israel.

The book of Hebrews is dealing with "these last days". The last days are spoken of as pertaining to the time in which the Davidic kingdom will be established on earth, in which, Christ will reign upon David's throne from Jerusalem along with the believing remnant of Israel (Isaiah 2:2-3 Luke 12:32).

1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

Christ, by his own blood, entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for believing Israel (Hebrews 9:12). Christ died for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament (Hebrews 9:15).

1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Christ will establish his prophetic kingdom on earth (Psalm 45:6 Isaiah 9:6-7 Daniel 2:44).

It is FINISHED, RESTORED, and FULFILLED.

Luke 22:37 It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment."

Jesus says it is reaching fulfillment when he walked the earth.

Those saved have the kingdom of heaven inside them.

We receive the kingdom of heaven when we receive the Holy Spirit. We receive the Holy Spirit when we are saved.

The time came near to receive the kingdom of heaven when John the baptizer came, for we must repent of our sins to be saved and receive the kingdom of heaven.

See Matthew 17:11-12.

Mark 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent, and believe the gospel.

Ephesians 1:10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.

(That is about Jesus appearing the first time.)

Jesus says all things are restored, see Matthew 17:11-12; and Mark 9:12. David’s fallen tent is restored see Acts 15:16.

Jesus came and fulfilled what was written.

Read Amos 9:11-12.

Matthew 5:21 "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.'

When people come to Jesus in faith, they are being restored. Jesus is at the right hand of the Father interceding for us, he lives to intercede for us. We are being reconciled unto God. The ministry of the Apostles is the ministry of RECONCILIATION. See 2 Corinthians 5:18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:

Hebrews 7:25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Hebrews 9:24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God's presence.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Romans 8:34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.

Same way for ALL.

Acts 1:6
(1:6) When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

Read what Jesus tells them. He tells them to wait for the Holy Spirit that will give them power.

Power to do what?

Power to preach the message that will save people and give them the Holy Spirit.

THAT IS THE RESTORATION fulfilled..

We are restored when we are reconciled to God.

Being reconciled to God happens when Jesus lives in you and you in him.

This is now:

Revelation 21:4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." 5 And He who sits on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." And He said, "Write, for these words are faithful and true." 6 Then He said to me, "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost.…

This is now:

Revelation 21:7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.

Romans 8:14
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

Romans 8:16
The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

This is now:

Revelation 21:6 Then He said to me, "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost.…

John 7:37 On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink.

Jesus said he came to fulfill. Jesus did what he came to do.

Jesus said it was finished.

Luke 24:44
He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."

Luke 22:37
It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment."

John 4:34
"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.

John 17:4
I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.

John 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

The Restoration of Israel

Ezekiel 34:11 For thus says the Lord God, “Behold, I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out. 12 As a shepherd cares for his herd in the day when he is among his scattered sheep, so I will care for My sheep and will deliver them from all the places to which they were scattered on a cloudy and gloomy day. 13 I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries and bring them to their own land; and I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the streams, and in all the inhabited places of the land. 14 I will feed them in a good pasture, and their grazing ground will be on the mountain heights of Israel. There they will lie down on good grazing ground and feed in rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. 15 I will feed My flock and I will lead them to rest,” declares the Lord God. 16 “I will seek the lost, bring back the scattered, bind up the broken and strengthen the sick; but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with judgment.

17 “As for you, My flock, thus says the Lord God, ‘Behold, I will judge between one sheep and another, between the rams and the male goats. 18 Is it too slight a thing for you that you should feed in the good pasture, that you must tread down with your feet the rest of your pastures? Or that you should drink of the clear waters, that you must foul the rest with your feet? 19 As for My flock, they must eat what you tread down with your feet and drink what you foul with your feet!’”

20 Therefore, thus says the Lord God to them, “Behold, I, even I, will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. 21 Because you push with side and with shoulder, and thrust at all the weak with your horns until you have scattered them abroad, 22 therefore, I will deliver My flock, and they will no longer be a prey; and I will judge between one sheep and another.

23 “Then I will set over them one shepherd, My servant David, and he will feed them; he will feed them himself and be their shepherd. 24 And I, the Lord, will be their God, and My servant David will be prince among them; I the Lord have spoken.

25 “I will make a covenant of peace with them and eliminate harmful beasts from the land so that they may live securely in the wilderness and sleep in the woods. 26 I will make them and the places around My hill a blessing. And I will cause showers to come down in their season; they will be showers of blessing. 27 Also the tree of the field will yield its fruit and the earth will yield its increase, and they will be secure on their land. Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I have broken the bars of their yoke and have delivered them from the hand of those who enslaved them. 28 They will no longer be a prey to the nations, and the beasts of the earth will not devour them; but they will live securely, and no one will make them afraid. 29 I will establish for them a renowned planting place, and they will not again be victims of famine in the land, and they will not endure the insults of the nations anymore. 30 Then they will know that I, the Lord their God, am with them, and that they, the house of Israel, are My people,” declares the Lord God. 31 “As for you, My sheep, the sheep of My pasture, you are men, and I am your God,” declares the Lord God.

Jesus came for his sheep.

God's Truth

Act 19:32 Some therefore cried one thing, and some another: for the assembly[ekklesia] was confused; and the more part knew not wherefore they were come together.

The Gentile Ephesians were confused because they believed in a goddess.

That has nothing to do with the one and only gospel that saves.

It has to do with the makers of images losing money if no one believes anymore in their goddess and they stop buying images of her.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Gentile Ephesians were confused because they believed in a goddess.

That has nothing to do with the one and only gospel that saves.

It has to do with the makers of images losing money if no one believes anymore in their goddess and they stop buying images of her.

Over your head.

God's Truth

Over your head.

No way do I not understand.

Acts 19:35The city clerk quieted the crowd and said: “Fellow Ephesians, doesn’t all the world know that the city of Ephesus is the guardian of the temple of the great Artemis and of her image, which fell from heaven? 36Therefore, since these facts are undeniable, you ought to calm down and not do anything rash. 37You have brought these men here, though they have neither robbed temples nor blasphemed our goddess. 38If, then, Demetrius and his fellow craftsmen have a grievance against anybody, the courts are open and there are proconsuls. They can press charges. 39If there is anything further you want to bring up, it must be settled in a legal assembly. 40As it is, we are in danger of being charged with rioting because of what happened today. In that case we would not be able to account for this commotion, since there is no reason for it.” 41After he had said this, he dismissed the assembly.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
No way do I not understand.

The question at hand concerned 'the one church'.
I demonstrated that the word translated 'church' is 'ekklesia'.
The word 'ekklesia' is translated 'assembly' in Acts 19 and is not 'the Church, the Body of Christ'.
Therefore, there is more than 'one church' mentioned in the Bible.

You missed the whole point.

God's Truth

The question at hand concerned 'the one church'.
I demonstrated that the word translated 'church' is 'ekklesia'.
The word 'ekklesia' is translated 'assembly' in Acts 19 and is not 'the Church, the Body of Christ'.
Therefore, there is more than 'one church' mentioned in the Bible.

You missed the whole point.

There aren't separate and different churches.

The body of Christ is the church.

The scripture where you said the people were confused is about the non Christian Ephesians who believed in the goddess of Ephesus.

God's Truth

Again, the confused people were the Ephesians who believed in the goddess of Ephesus.

The word 'assembly' was just about people who gathered. They aren't a church.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Again, the confused people were the Ephesians who believed in the goddess of Ephesus.

The word 'assembly' was just about people who gathered. They aren't a church.

Is this referring to the body of Christ?

Act 7:38 This is he, that was in the church[ekklesia/assembly/congregation] in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

God's Truth

Is this referring to the body of Christ?

Act 7:38 This is he, that was in the church[ekklesia/assembly/congregation] in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

We were talking about Acts 19. The confused people in Acts 19 were people who believed in the goddess of Ephesus.

As for the 'church' of God, there is only one church, which is the body of Christ.

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called;

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
We were talking about Acts 19. The confused people in Acts 19 were people who believed in the goddess of Ephesus.

As for the 'church' of God, there is only one church, which is the body of Christ.

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called;

I was talking about the word 'church/ekklesia/assembly/congregation' in Acts 19..

I was not talking about what the people in Acts 19 believed. You brought that in to the discussion, not me.

God's Truth

I was talking about the word 'church/ekklesia/assembly/congregation' in Acts 19..

I was not talking about what the people in Acts 19 believed. You brought that in to the discussion, not me.

You are the one who asked fzappa13 if Acts 19 Is this the 'one Church' ?

I said it was the assembly of those who believed in the goddess of Ephesus.

xfrodobagginsx

Good insights and I agree.

xfrodobagginsx

The word Church is from the word Ecclesia, which means "A Called Out Assembly". The Jews who were saved were not the Grace age Church. They were under the Kingdom Gospel, whereas, today we are all under the Gospel of Grace.

God's Truth

The word Church is from the word Ecclesia, which means "A Called Out Assembly". The Jews who were saved were not the Grace age Church. They were under the Kingdom Gospel, whereas, today we are all under the Gospel of Grace.

Jesus came and taught the one and only gospel that saves Jews and Gentiles.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
You are the one who asked fzappa13 if Acts 19 Is this the 'one Church' ?

I said it was the assembly of those who believed in the goddess of Ephesus.

Yes, I did ask him that.
And the obvious answer is that the 'ekklesia/ assembly/church' in Acts 19 is not the 'ekklesia/assembly/church' which Paul calls 'the body of Christ'.
Yes, that 'assembly/ekklesia/church' believed in the goddess of Ephesus, which proves my point and my point was and still is... there are various groups of people in the Bible being referred to as 'ekklesia/church/assembly/congregation' and intelligent students of the Bible should recognize the differences between them..

If there is only one 'church' mentioned in the Bible, then the 'assembly/church mentioned in Acts 19 is also the one church, but if the 'assembly/ekklesia/church' mentioned in Acts 19 is not the one 'church/ekklesia', then there is not only one church mentioned in the Bible.

God's Truth

Yes, I did ask him that.
And the obvious answer is that the 'ekklesia/ assembly/church' in Acts 19 is not the 'ekklesia/assembly/church' which Paul calls 'the body of Christ'.
Yes, that 'assembly/ekklesia/church' believed in the goddess of Ephesus, which proves my point and my point was and still is... there are various groups of people in the Bible being referred to as 'ekklesia/church/assembly/congregation' and intelligent students of the Bible should recognize the differences between them..

If there is only one 'church' mentioned in the Bible, then the 'assembly/church mentioned in Acts 19 is also the one church, but if the 'assembly/ekklesia/church' mentioned in Acts 19 is not the one 'church/ekklesia', then there is not only one church mentioned in the Bible.

...but when it comes to being saved and in the body of Christ, there is only one church/body.

If one is not in the body then one is not saved.