Does God still speak today?

Bradley D

If he does speak today, how does he do so?

"For God may speak in one way, or in another, Yet man does not perceive it" (Job 33:14).

Matthew Henry Commentary
"God speaks to us by conscience, by providences, and by ministers; of all these Elihu discourses. There was not then, that we know of, any Divine revelation in writing, though now it is our principal guide. When God designs men's good, by the convictions and dictates of their own consciences, he opens the heart, as Lydia's, and opens the ears, so that conviction finds or forces its way in. The end and design of these admonitions are to keep men from sin, particularly the sin of pride. While sinners are pursuing evil purposes, and indulging their pride, their souls are hastening to destruction. That which turns men from sin, saves them from hell. What a mercy it is to be under the restraints of an awakened conscience!"

k0de

Hmmmm.... Excellent question.

The intertestamental period or the deuterocanonical period is proof that God can be silent when He pleases.

Are we experiencing such phenomenon today? And was Paul the last messenger of God?

The Berean

This is a testimony from a close friend who is a mature Christian. One night she was driving home. She was driving behind a large truck that had large concrete slabs tied down. She said she was singing worship songs in the car when she "heard" a voice say "Change lanes now." He first reaction was "What?" She again heard "Change lanes now". So she moved into the right lane. She then said about two seconds after one of the large concrete slabs fell off the truck. Had she not changed lanes the slab would have fell right on top of her car and probably crushed her. Did God speak to her? :think:

Right Divider

Body part
This is a testimony from a close friend who is a mature Christian. One night she was driving home. She was driving behind a large truck that had large concrete slabs tied down. She said she was singing worship songs in the car when she "heard" a voice say "Change lanes now." He first reaction was "What?" She again heard "Change lanes now". So she moved into the right lane. She then said about two seconds after one of the large concrete slabs fell off the truck. Had she not changed lanes the slab would have fell right on top of her car and probably crushed her. Did God speak to her? :think:
Not likely.

God's Truth

Hmmmm.... Excellent question.

The intertestamental period or the deuterocanonical period is proof that God can be silent when He pleases.

Are we experiencing such phenomenon today? And was Paul the last messenger of God?

Paul is the last apostle, but God can speak to people individually.

k0de

Paul is the last apostle, but God can speak to people individually.

I have never heard the voice of Lord Jesus but Paul did. The only time I hear the voice of the Lord Jesus from with the His words from the Bible. Because of this Grace that the Lord Jesus has giving me I believe in Him through faith of the words of Him in the Bible.

How is another Jesus talking to people individually?

God's Truth

I have never heard the voice of Lord Jesus but Paul did. The only time I hear the voice of the Lord Jesus from with the His words from the Bible. Because of this Grace that the Lord Jesus has giving me I believe in Him through faith of the words of Him in the Bible.

How is another Jesus talking to people individually?

What do you mean another Jesus?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You said Jesus talks to people individually.

How is that?

So if I read the Quran, Torah or the book of Mormons, does God (Jesus) still talks to me individually?

Why would you read the Quran, Torah or Book of Mormon. God speaks to us through his word, the Bible

God's Truth

You said Jesus talks to people individually.

How is that?

So if I read the Quran, Torah or the book of Mormons, does God (Jesus) still talks to me individually?

Jesus still speaks to some people in his audible voice.

God is the God of the Holy Bible.

k0de

Jesus still speaks to some people in his audible voice.

God is the God of the Holy Bible.

Deuteronomy 18:20
"But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.”

Deuteronomy 18:22

"If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed."

So when God (Jesus) speak with the people that you are saying that they hear Him in a audible voice, and the thing doesn't happen.

What happens next?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.”

"If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed."

So when God (Jesus) speak with the people that you are saying that they hear Him in a audible voice, and the thing doesn't happen.

What happens next?

You'll have to write that in proper English grammar so that it can be understood.

God's Truth

What happens next?

I am not talking about prophecies. Prophecies have ceased.

The Berean

My salvation was in part due to one man listening to God. Back in 1998 I was still an unsaved sinner. A college friend of mine invited to her church. I'm not sure why I went since I wasn't really "looking" for God. Anyway, I went to a Wednesday night service. When we arrived we sat right behind a man. At the end of the service the pastor asks everyone to form small groups and pray for each other. The man turned around and looked right at. He didn't say hello or asked my my name. He asked me a question. "Do you know Jesus?" It was it such an odd question I thought. I didn't know what to say. I mumbled, "I don't think so." Ten then said, "Do you want to?" Another odd question I though. "I mumbled, "I dunno." He said, :That's ok. Allow me to pray for you". So he prayed for me. This led me down the path to where I accepted Jesus as my LORD and savior a short time later.

And here is the crazy part of the story. The man I met, his mother had just passed away. The night I met him, he had buried his mother earlier in the say. He later told me that he wasn't planning on going to church that night. He was sad and distraught over his mother's passing. He just wanted to stay home and pray. He told me that while he was praying he "heard" the Lord's voice tell him to get dressed and go to church tonight. He's going to meet a young man that doesn't know the Lord but he wants to. So this man got up, got dressed, and went to church. That young man was me.

I shared this story here at TOL a few years ago. And a woman poster told me that God doesn't talk to men like that anymore and that the man probably heard a demon talking to him. So, a demon told this man to go to church and share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. So God cannot talk to a man but a demon can? I realized that this woman was so invested in her cessationist beliefs that she had to concoct a crazy conclusion that a demon talked to this man.