'This Is Not Normal': US Judge Denounces Trump's Attacks on Judiciary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post

He called Mexican immigrants "rapist and drug dealers with a few good people."
    well, no

that's a lie

what Trump said was:

In June 2015, while Trump was a presidential candidate, he said, "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best."

He added: "They're sending people that have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ference-2018-4

and he was referring to illegal immigration

but i suspect you know that

Comment

Whereas it would be offensive for anyone to suggest that an Anglo judge might be more favorable to other Anglos?
      if the anglo judge in question was vocal about his anglo heritage and belonged to an anglo version of La Raza?

not offensive at all

Comment

He called Mexican immigrants "rapist and drug dealers with a few good people."
        Then you agree with me that your statement that Trump called all minorities "rapists and drug dealers with a few good people" was hyperbole?

Are you saying that you are allowed to engage in hyperbole, but Trump can't? Why is that??

Whereas it would be offensive for anyone to suggest that an Anglo judge might be more favorable to other Anglos? I get it.
        You get what? I didn't suggest all Anglos are completely equitable to other races. Far from it. However, Christians should be improving in their equity to other nationalities at any point in time.

It seems you like to reinterpret what I say into something you can more easily complain about. Is it possible that you are doing the same thing with Trump's words?

She's not black, Derf. Or did you think Obama was Hispanic? Or is it "whites and all those other people?"
        Did I say she was black? I think you missed my point. Obama did not merely consider her judicial qualifications when appointing her. Why is it that he could consider her race (and gender) when appointing her for such an appointment, but Trump can't consider someone else's race when complaining about him?

The Constitution doesn't say anything. It's words on paper.
        What did you say? I think what you said was "the cow jumped over the moon." It should be ok to interpret your words that way, since those are just words on electronic paper?
        The federal judiciary is the final authority on what it says.
        No, the federal judiciary is only to apply the laws it has. If the Constitution needs to say something else, Congress and the States get to change what it says. And they do it by first writing the new words on paper. Those words on paper have to maintain a singular meaning or Congress and the States have no way to know what they are voting on. The same goes for the words that are currently on paper--the meaning can't be changing from year to year, unless Congress and the people vote on it.

Which is what gripes Trump no end. He's not used to having to play by the rules.
        Same with other presidents and many citizens. That's why homosexuals go to the courts to get their behavior redefined as "legal" when it wasn't legal before. But judges don't like playing by the rules any more than Trump does.

You can appeal all the way up to the Supreme Court. But then it ends.
        No. There are further appeals that can be made, though the difficulty increases drastically. You can appeal to Congress to change a law. You can appeal to Congress to limit the power of the court (as has happened a number of times). You can appeal via a constitutional convention. The Supreme Court is only 1 branch of government, and not intended to be supreme over the other branches. We don't live in a judicial oligarchy. Or at least that's not what it is supposed to be.
        Last edited by Derf; November 12th, 2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ok doser View Post

well, no

that's a lie

what Trump said was:

In June 2015, while Trump was a presidential candidate, he said, "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best."

He added: "They're sending people that have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ference-2018-4

and he was referring to illegal immigration

but i suspect you know that
          Good point! And Trump was wrong. None of them are good people, because they are coming here illegally. Illegal immigrants are all crooks. And some are more crooked than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Derf View Post
            None of them are good people, because they are coming here illegally. Illegal immigrants are all crooks. And some are more crooked than others.
            Except that after they get here, they are less likely to commit crimes than native born American citizens!

Reference: https://www.cato.org/blog/new-resear...igration-crime

Comment

Originally posted by User Name View Post

Except that after they get here, they are less likely to commit crimes than native born American citizens!

not sure what that has to do with it. That's like saying a homosexual can live a moral life while continuing in homosexuality. Or a thief is a good person while he is stealing. Or "that priest is a good man--he just likes little boys." If they are staying in America against the law, then they are constantly committing a crime.

Comment

If they are staying in America against the law, then they are constantly committing a crime.
                Those strawberries aren't going to pick themselves, boy!

Comment

From a reference from your link: "However, we do find a significant relationship between the activation of 287(g) agreements (enables local law enforcement agencies to enforce federal immigration laws) and assaults against police officers." So your reference shows that illegal immigrants value their ability to be in the country so much that they 1. enter illegally, and 2. assault police officers in order to stay here illegally.

That means that they DO continue to commit some crimes in disproportionate numbers.

I wonder at the purpose of these researchers when they say: "It’s wonderful to see serious academics like those above dive into investigating how illegal immigrants affect crime." and "Gunadi’s study is especially heartening to read as he started with methods adapted by Michelangelo Landgrave and myself, improved upon them, and came to a result that is similar to ours. Gunadi found a smaller difference between native-born and illegal immigrant incarceration rates, that they are one-third below natives rather than 50 percent below, but there’s no arguing with his better methods."

The numbers dropped significantly when different methods were applied, yet you feel like the research is unbiased?

Comment

Those strawberries aren't going to pick themselves, boy!
                    You probably realize that maintaining an illegal workforce precipitates that exact situation. They are afraid of being deported, so they are willing to work in less than ideal conditions.

Comment

Then you agree with me that your statement that Trump called all minorities "rapists and drug dealers with a few good people" was hyperbole?
                      When you added "all" to it, you made it your statement. Cmon. You're better than that.

Are you saying that you are allowed to engage in hyperbole
                      You can it you want to, You own it, now.

, but Trump can't?
                      I don't think he can avoid it. He's a compulsive liar.

Why is that??
                      Upbringing, or maybe this:

According to the Toxicology Data Network at the National Institutes of Health, diethylpropion has a high risk of dependency and chronic abuse- such as taking it for years – can cause delusions, paranoia, and hyperactivity. Studies in medical journals also report it can result in sleeplessness and impulse control problems, characteristics Trump demonstrated throughout the campaign and in the weeks since his inauguration

Hope Hicks, a White House spokeswoman, acknowledged that Trump used them as diet pills for a few days in the early 1980s. However, the medical records contradict the assertion of the length of time Trump used the drugs and photographs of Trump from 1982 show him to be quite slender.

http://polipace.com/2018/03/01/trump...ddiction-drug/

You get what? I didn't suggest all Anglos are completely equitable to other races.
                      You offered a milder version of Trump's racist claim that a "Mexican", actually a native-born American citizen couldn't be impartial.

(Cites a black president appointing an Hispanic person to the court)

Did I say she was black?
                      Most of Obama's appointments to judicial seats have been Anglo. So I'm wondering what that was about.

I think you missed my point. Obama did not merely consider her judicial qualifications when appointing her
                      What else do you think he had in mind, and what is your evidence for it? Do you think Trump did that in appointing justices?

Why is it that he could consider her race (and gender)
                      Why is it that Trump could consider race and gender in his appointments? And what is your evidence for that?

but Trump can't consider someone else's race when complaining about him?
                      It's what racists do. It doesn't matter that he's an American citizen, that he was born here. All that matters to Trump is that he's Hispanic. But it only matters in appointments, if the person isn't Anglo? Why is that?

What did you say? I think what you said was "the cow jumped over the moon." It should be ok to interpret your words that way, since those are just words on electronic paper? No, the federal judiciary is only to apply the laws it has. If the Constitution needs to say something else, Congress and the States get to change what it says.
                      But the Judicial Branch gets to interpret what the law means. Not the President, not the Congress.

Same with other presidents and many citizens. That's why homosexuals go to the courts to get their behavior redefined as "legal" when it wasn't legal before.
                      It had always been legal. It's just that the justices ruled that the Constitution now applies to them as well

Comment

well, no

most crime happens within a community

in a community of illegals who are reluctant to have any interaction with law enforcement, they are less likely to report crimes

other studies have shown that, knowing this, criminals are more likely to prey upon illegals, not less

Comment

You probably realize that maintaining an illegal workforce precipitates that exact situation. They are afraid of being deported, so they are willing to work in less than ideal conditions.
                          Do you realize that native-born birthrates have been declining for decades, and that without immigration (both legal and illegal), the population of the United States would be in decline, and that this trend is unsustainable given our current economic model?

Reference: https://www.thebalance.com/birth-rate-by-state-4684536

Comment

Do you realize that native-born birthrates have been declining for decades, and that without immigration (both legal and illegal), the population of the United States would be in decline, and that this trend is unsustainable given our current economic model?

Reference: https://www.thebalance.com/birth-rate-by-state-4684536
                            So you are in favor of employers taking advantage of illegal immigarnts that are afraid of being deported?

Comment

When you added "all" to it, you made it your statement. Cmon. You're better than that.

You can it you want to, You own it, now.

I don't think he can avoid it. He's a compulsive liar.

Upbringing, or maybe this:

According to the Toxicology Data Network at the National Institutes of Health, diethylpropion has a high risk of dependency and chronic abuse- such as taking it for years – can cause delusions, paranoia, and hyperactivity. Studies in medical journals also report it can result in sleeplessness and impulse control problems, characteristics Trump demonstrated throughout the campaign and in the weeks since his inauguration

Hope Hicks, a White House spokeswoman, acknowledged that Trump used them as diet pills for a few days in the early 1980s. However, the medical records contradict the assertion of the length of time Trump used the drugs and photographs of Trump from 1982 show him to be quite slender.

http://polipace.com/2018/03/01/trump...ddiction-drug/

You offered a milder version of Trump's racist claim that a "Mexican", actually a native-born American citizen couldn't be impartial.

(Cites a black president appointing an Hispanic person to the court)

Most of Obama's appointments to judicial seats have been Anglo. So I'm wondering what that was about.

What else do you think he had in mind, and what is your evidence for it? Do you think Trump did that in appointing justices?

Why is it that Trump could consider race and gender in his appointments? And what is your evidence for that?

It's what racists do. It doesn't matter that he's an American citizen, that he was born here. All that matters to Trump is that he's Hispanic. But it only matters in appointments, if the person isn't Anglo? Why is that?

But the Judicial Branch gets to interpret what the law means. Not the President, not the Congress.

It had always been legal. It's just that the justices ruled that the Constitution now applies to them as well

You're starting to flail again, Barb. everyone can tell...

Comment

So you are in favor of employers taking advantage of illegal immigarnts that are afraid of being deported?
                                All that I am saying is that the immigration issue is more complicated than either of us can truly understand, let alone solve. I would say, however, that "employers taking advantage of illegal immigarnts that are afraid of being deported" is less cruel than your apparent solution, which is to label them all as criminals and either throw them in jail or deport them by the millions--a solution that is both cost prohibitive and would do far more harm than good to both them and us.

Comment

Working...
                                X