U.S. Christian Population in Freefall

quip

BANNED
Banned
What is Christianity?

What are the tenets of Christianity?

what is fundamentalism?

I was wondering if we can actually define terms here.

I'm sure you can try.

I'm also sure somebody will reserve a seat in hell for you in failing to reciting their version.

Gary K

Hmm, does "loving your neighbour" involve wanting a religious state imposed upon everyone in society where it's lawful to execute people for having homosexual relationships? To punish people for living together without being married? We already have laws that don't make light of murder, theft, rape, violent assault etc and if you think STD's would just magically disappear and everyone would live in a house surounded by a white picket fence with roses on it if your "ideal" were to come about then frankly, get a grip.

Fundamentalism is the antithesis of love. It's just strict, dogmatic religionism.

Once again, you make stuff up. What I said was, to paraphrase myself, if everyone followed the 10 commandments what changes would happen in our world? So, your response is, oh, how unfair that those who don't follow the 10 commandments would be punished. What I asked you has nothing to do with your answer. Instead of answering my question you make up a straw man and then demolish the straw man. Oh, what amazing thinking and logic. Too bad you can't answer a simple question. I guess that is just beyond your capabilities.

The Berean

Once again, you make stuff up. What I said was, to paraphrase myself, if everyone followed the 10 commandments what changes would happen in our world? So, your response is, oh, how unfair that those who don't follow the 10 commandments would be punished. What I asked you has nothing to do with your answer. Instead of answering my question you make up a straw man and then demolish the straw man. Oh, what amazing thinking and logic. Too bad you can't answer a simple question. I guess that is just beyond your capabilities.

The Ten Commandments

You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall make no idols.
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
Keep the Sabbath day holy.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet.

I think that we both would agree that the world would be a far different place and highly likely a much more loving, peaceful, and productive world. Crime would be almost nothing and the family unit would be much stronger.

Gary K

The Ten Commandments

You shall make no idols.
You shall not murder.
You shall not steal.
You shall not covet.

I think that we both would agree that the world would be a far different place and highly likely a much more loving, peaceful, and productive world. Crime would be almost nothing and the family unit would be much stronger.

I agree with you. Although, I would say there would be no crime. Period. Why? Because all crime comes from not respecting/loving our neighbors. There would be zero sexual perversion also for if we follow the 10 commandments there would be no place for those sins for marriage between a man and a woman would be the only place for the expression of sexuality.

Jesus said that the entire law can be summed up in loving God supremely and loving our neighbor the same way we love ourselves. That would eliminate all sexual perversions, all abuse, all terrorism, all crime, etc.... There is no place left for such despicable behavior if we love God supremely and treat others the way we want to be treated.

Arthur Brain

You seem more than capable of imagining or concocting your own strawmen without any help from me. Fundamentalism, at least in certain quarters here would result in enforced marriages with no possibility of divorce for co habiting non married couples. Also death for any gay people in a relationship etc. I'm not the one making this stuff up. It's all on record here.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
ffree asks:
... if everyone followed the 10 commandments what changes would happen in our world?

artie whines:
You seem more than capable of imagining or concocting your own strawmen without any help from me. Fundamentalism, at least in certain quarters here would result in enforced marriages with no possibility of divorce for co habiting non married couples. Also death for any gay people in a relationship etc. I'm not the one making this stuff up. It's all on record here.

:doh:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
if everyone followed the 10 commandments what changes would happen in our world?

Wouldn't it be great if we had a president who follows the ten commandments?

The Ten Commandments

You shall make no idols.
You shall not murder.
You shall not steal.
You shall not covet.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You forgot the part where it says "six days."

We know you reject that, why should we believe that you don't reject the rest? :idunno:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Religion per se matters not. It's the wholesale rejection of religious dogma in general...the division, prejudice and hate it inherently fosters. 9/11 was religion's crowning achievement; homosexuality, a parochial, close second.

This all sounds very bad, but parochial, as in parochial school seems like a nice something. I sent some of my children to parochial school, if they wanted to attend. Some did, and some didn't. I do not see what 9/11 had to do with Christian religion, since is had nothing in common with the Christian life.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
You forgot the part where it says "six days."

We know you reject that, why should we believe that you don't reject the rest? :idunno:

Well since Billy Graham, Karl Barth, C.S. Lewis, among numerous other Christian luminaries, saw no conflict between their Christian faith and evolutionary science, why should we?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Well since Billy Graham, Karl Barth, C.S. Lewis,

Appeal to authority....

Who believes what...

among numerous other Christian luminaries,

... and appeal to popularity.

... and how many believe it does not determine truth.

saw no conflict between their Christian faith and evolutionary science, why should we?

When you base your beliefs on logical fallacies, your beliefs are inherently faulty.

The Bible says six days and at the beginning of creation God made man.

Evolution says man came about after millions if not billions of years after the beginning of the universe.

The law of non-contradiction says both the Bible and evolution CANNOT both be true.

Gary K

Well since Billy Graham, Karl Barth, C.S. Lewis, among numerous other Christian luminaries, saw no conflict between their Christian faith and evolutionary science, why should we?

So, you're followers of men rather than followers of God. That ain't gonna get you to heaven. Jesus said, Beware of men. The only trustworthy man to follow is Jesus and His word, the Bible. Following anything, anyone, else will lead you to the wrong destination.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Appeal to authority....

Who believes what...

Your opinion is certainly no better than theirs, and if they can accept it so can the rest of us!

Evolution says man came about after millions if not billions of years after the beginning of the universe.

The law of non-contradiction says both the Bible and evolution CANNOT both be true.

That is your opinion!

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
So, you're followers of men rather than followers of God. That ain't gonna get you to heaven. Jesus said, Beware of men. The only trustworthy man to follow is Jesus and His word, the Bible. Following anything, anyone, else will lead you to the wrong destination.

You are a man, so why should I follow your opinions?

Paul was a man, and he said to follow him! -- 1 Cor 11:1 KJV

Arthur Brain

Appeal to authority....

Who believes what...

When you base your beliefs on logical fallacies, your beliefs are inherently faulty.

Um, rather that it's your insistence on reading an account absolutely literally that could render such diametric opposition. Otherwise, there's no problem. Fundamentalism is not the bible.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... reading an account absolutely literally ...

Jesus did

Matthew 24:37-39 (KJV)

37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Fundamentalism is not the bible.

rather, fundamentalism is Christianity

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Your opinion is certainly no better than theirs,

Of course.

Doesn't change the fact that the Bible says six days and at the beginning of creation.

and if they can accept it so can the rest of us!

That still doesn't make their beliefs correct.

The Bble says six days and at the beginning of creation.

That is your opinion!

Sorry, but no. It's fact.

For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. - Exodus 20:11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus20:11&version=NKJV

But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’ - Mark 10:6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark10:6&version=NKJV

And you, being someone who accepts evolution to be true, should already be aware of your own position.

Last edited:

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The Bble says six days and at the beginning of creation.

Sorry, but no. It's fact.

And you, being someone who accepts evolution to be true, should already be aware of your own position.

The Bible also says that there were days and nights upon the earth before God even created the sun, stars, or any other object in the universe aside from the earth. How could there be days and nights with no sun? Why can't you answer this question scientifically?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The Bible also says that there were days and nights upon the earth before God even created the sun, stars, or any other object in the universe aside from the earth. How could there be days and nights with no sun?

Easy.

There was day and night because God created light, and then separated light from darkness.

The light He called Day, and the Darkness He called night.

Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness.God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day. - Genesis 1:3-5 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis1:3-5&version=NKJV

You don't need anything but light and dark for there to be day or night. The sun is just a ball of plasma.

It isn't light itself.

God created light. Then created the sun after.

Why can't you answer this question scientifically?

Loaded question.

I just answered it scientifically.

Ultimately, there's no reasoning with avid YEC's as no matter what you put forward and explain, they'll fob it off no matter what. An old earth/universe/evolution etc just cannot be allowed because it's utterly contradictory to a belief system that's almost practically set in stone. Kudos to you for overcoming that in fact.

See, even Artie admits it. The Bible cannot be reconciled with evolution because the two are contradictory.