The Mooch says Trump may have to be replaced on the GOP ticket.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Anthony Scaramucci, who famously served as President Trump's communications director for 11 days, says Republicans may need to pick a different candidate in 2020.

Driving the news: In a phone interview on Sunday afternoon, Scaramucci compared Trump to a melting nuclear reactor and said he may support a Republican challenger to Trump.

"We are now in the early episodes of 'Chernobyl' on HBO, where the reactor is melting down and the apparatchiks are trying to figure out whether to cover it up or start the clean-up process," Scaramucci said.
"A couple more weeks like this and 'country over party' is going to require the Republicans to replace the top of the ticket in 2020."

Scaramucci, who has given hundreds of thousands of dollars to Republican candidates, including Trump's 2016 campaign, said that if Trump "doesn't reform his behavior, it will not just be me, but many others will be considering helping to find a replacement in 2020."

"Right now, it's an unspeakable thing. But if he keeps it up, it will no longer be unspeakable. The minute they start speaking of it, it will circulate and be socialized. We can't afford a full nuclear contamination site post 2020."

The big picture: Scaramucci has said that Trump's attacks on congresswomen of color "divide the country." And yesterday the president attacked his former communications director in a couple of tweets

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anthony Scaramucci, who famously served as President Trump's communications director for 11 days, says Republicans may need to pick a different candidate in 2020.

Driving the news: In a phone interview on Sunday afternoon, Scaramucci compared Trump to a melting nuclear reactor and said he may support a Republican challenger to Trump.

"We are now in the early episodes of 'Chernobyl' on HBO, where the reactor is melting down and the apparatchiks are trying to figure out whether to cover it up or start the clean-up process," Scaramucci said.
"A couple more weeks like this and 'country over party' is going to require the Republicans to replace the top of the ticket in 2020."

Scaramucci, who has given hundreds of thousands of dollars to Republican candidates, including Trump's 2016 campaign, said that if Trump "doesn't reform his behavior, it will not just be me, but many others will be considering helping to find a replacement in 2020."

"Right now, it's an unspeakable thing. But if he keeps it up, it will no longer be unspeakable. The minute they start speaking of it, it will circulate and be socialized. We can't afford a full nuclear contamination site post 2020."

The big picture: Scaramucci has said that Trump's attacks on congresswomen of color "divide the country." And yesterday the president attacked his former communications director in a couple of tweets

Sounds like someone has an irrational hatred for trump. :think:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The problem isn’t the message but rather the messenger ...

Scaramucci is the new Omarosa ...

I believe him and he is still deplorable...

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
69274789_1088331644704857_6761369260913590272_n.jpg

Quetzal

It is an interesting idea. However, if the Republicans did want to replace Trump, who would they pick? Would it have the impact they want? If I had to guess, they understand that Trump is their best horse in the race. He is a house hold name in addition to having a strong following from just about all of the red states. Any attempt to throw in another candidate would spell inevitable doom for the GOP because it would fracture their voting population. I predict they see Trump through.

Reactions: Lon

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Some republican leaders are probably starting to consider how this is going to look in the perspective of history. And maybe they don't want to be part of it. So far, just a few have jumped into the race. Maybe some more, maybe not.

Quetzal

Some republican leaders are probably starting to consider how this is going to look in the perspective of history. And maybe they don't want to be part of it. So far, just a few have jumped into the race. Maybe some more, maybe not.

It is possible. I can certainly see some Republicans secretly wishing for another candidate. But if the Republicans want to maintain the Executive Branch, I think Trump is their best bet.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It is possible. I can certainly see some Republicans secretly wishing for another candidate. But if the Republicans want to maintain the Executive Branch, I think Trump is their best bet.

Hope dies hard for barbie and his ilk - still smarting from the sting of Hillary's loss, their hopes were dashed again this summer when impeachment was indefinitely postponed - now they're desperately grasping at the unrealistic hope of the Republican party doing what they were too ineffective to do

It's really sad to watch

Quetzal

Hope dies hard for barbie and his ilk - still smarting from the sting of Hillary's loss, their hopes were dashed again this summer when impeachment was indefinitely postponed - now they're desperately grasping at the unrealistic hope of the Republican party doing what they were too ineffective to do

It's really sad to watch

Who is barbie in this metaphor?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

Yes, that's correct. The issue is how many republicans think losing the WH is better than Trump being in it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Interesting, who is taking this position?

Former GOP congressman Joe Walsh. Former GOP governor Bill Weld. Former GOP governor Mark Sanford is now looking like a candidate. Maybe some others. No one since Truman has won with significant opposition in his own party.

Trump has most to fear from Walsh, who plays no cleaner than Trump,and who is popular with the far right. He's running not in opposition to Trump's politics, but is rather emphasizing Trump's sleazy personal character and his inability to govern effectively.

'Absolute incompetence': GOP primary challenger Joe Walsh pounds Trump on immigration
Joe Walsh is charging President Trump with fumbling border security, a move for the jugular as the conservative former Illinois congressman begins his long-shot bid to unseat the populist commander in chief in the 2020 Republican primary.

As a concerned Trump moves urgently to deliver on his signature issue, Walsh told the Washington Examiner that he is an honest, effective alternative who is equipped to resolve the immigration crisis. Indeed, the ex-lawmaker, known for a sharp tongue that can be as acerbic as Trump’s, claims the president is making matters worse.

Not only are the measures Trump favors exacerbating the challenge of securing the southern border, Walsh said, the president’s habit of demonizing immigrants from Mexico and Central America, both legal and illegal, is driving key voters into the arms of a Democratic Party that is far less committed to halting unauthorized entries into the U.S.

“Absolute incompetence” is how Walsh describes Trump’s border security policies and attempts to reduce illegal immigration. “Trump’s a one-trick pony about the border. All he talked about was the wall, the wall, the wall, and Mexico’s going to pay for it. There was no nimbleness beyond the wall,” he said, adding that the president is ruining the reputations of true “border hawks” such as himself.

“So many of the things that I believe in, Donald Trump has taken to dark, ugly places,” Walsh said. “Trump’s taken that whole issue of the border and he’s turned it into a kind of, ugly, bigoted, ‘go back to where you came from’ kind of a thing. So, I’m a conservative, and if there’s one area that I’ve changed on in the past couple of years, and it’s because of Trump, I’ve changed my tone.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...llenger-joe-walsh-pounds-trump-on-immigration

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
President Trump's approval ratings appear to be softening among members of his own party and independents, according to a series of polls conducted by The Hill and HarrisX since July.

The president's approval rating among Republicans sat at 87 percent in July, but has slipped to 79 percent in the latest Hill-HarrisX survey conducted earlier this month.

The president's approval rating among independents has also dropped.

Of those that identified as independent, 44 percent surveyed said they approved of the job Trump was doing in July. That number has declined to 42 percent, according to the same poll conducted earlier this month.

Trump received 46 percent of the independent vote in 2016, while Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton received 42 percent, according to CNN exit polling.

Trump's low approval among Democrats has remained steady over the same time period, fluctuating between the late teens and low twenties range.

The latest poll on Trump's approval rating found that 18 percent of Democratic respondents say they approve of Trump.

The apparent decline in support from Republicans and independents could negatively impact Trump ahead of his 2020 reelection as he looks to galvanize his base while attempting to pull undecided voters to his side.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-ame...mps-approval-softening-among-gop-independents

Quetzal

Former GOP congressman Joe Walsh. Former GOP governor Bill Weld. Former GOP governor Mark Sanford is now looking like a candidate. Maybe some others. No one since Truman has won with significant opposition in his own party.

Trump has most to fear from Walsh, who plays no cleaner than Trump,and who is popular with the far right. He's running not in opposition to Trump's politics, but is rather emphasizing Trump's sleazy personal character and his inability to govern effectively.

'Absolute incompetence': GOP primary challenger Joe Walsh pounds Trump on immigration
Joe Walsh is charging President Trump with fumbling border security, a move for the jugular as the conservative former Illinois congressman begins his long-shot bid to unseat the populist commander in chief in the 2020 Republican primary.

As a concerned Trump moves urgently to deliver on his signature issue, Walsh told the Washington Examiner that he is an honest, effective alternative who is equipped to resolve the immigration crisis. Indeed, the ex-lawmaker, known for a sharp tongue that can be as acerbic as Trump’s, claims the president is making matters worse.

Not only are the measures Trump favors exacerbating the challenge of securing the southern border, Walsh said, the president’s habit of demonizing immigrants from Mexico and Central America, both legal and illegal, is driving key voters into the arms of a Democratic Party that is far less committed to halting unauthorized entries into the U.S.

“Absolute incompetence” is how Walsh describes Trump’s border security policies and attempts to reduce illegal immigration. “Trump’s a one-trick pony about the border. All he talked about was the wall, the wall, the wall, and Mexico’s going to pay for it. There was no nimbleness beyond the wall,” he said, adding that the president is ruining the reputations of true “border hawks” such as himself.

“So many of the things that I believe in, Donald Trump has taken to dark, ugly places,” Walsh said. “Trump’s taken that whole issue of the border and he’s turned it into a kind of, ugly, bigoted, ‘go back to where you came from’ kind of a thing. So, I’m a conservative, and if there’s one area that I’ve changed on in the past couple of years, and it’s because of Trump, I’ve changed my tone.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...llenger-joe-walsh-pounds-trump-on-immigration

Thank you for the context, this is helpful.