Trump: Racist Firestorm

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You really need someone to hold your hand on this?

Fascinating!

Feed-Trolls.jpg

Alate_One

Can you give a single specific example?

Uhh, shall we talk about the Latino judge that Trump said couldn't be fair because he was of Mexican heritage (born in Indiana).

The "muslim" ban, that affected nearly all people of Middle Eastern Descent.

The current insistence on poor facilities for people crossing the southern border, family separation, deportation of people here for medical treatment. These affect mostly Latinx people and the global poor which are often non-white.

He wanted to defund the EPA office of environmental justice (Tries to promote racial equity in environmental issues).

Remarks about S-hole countries and how we should get more immigrants from Norway.

The consistent dismissal of the problems in Puerto Rico, but approval of aid for Florida.

Mass shooters that are white supremacists are little talked about or called "crazy", but muslim shooters he rails about.

I could keep going but . . .

Alate_One

Maybe we should discuss the immigration policies since that seems to be the center of Trump's racism and xenophobia.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It isn't a blanket opposition of illegal immigration. Most people simply overstay their visas, does Trump's ICE go after people from the UK that overstayed their visa? No, he goes after people crossing the southern border, who he called rapists and criminals.

You really have to be in denial to not see what is going on.
Hi, newbie. :wave:

:eek:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe we should discuss the immigration policies since that seems to be the center of Trump's racism and xenophobia.

So you want a discussion where the bar to entry is that participants must believe someone to be a racist. :think:

Because you're new here, I'm gonna give you a break, just this once. :)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Ok, let's tackle the "muslim ban" aka the travel ban

Did trump propose a ban on immigration from the three countries with the largest populations of muslims - Indonesia, Pakistan and india?

ok doser

Bingo!

Stripe gets a cookie! :first:

Now, continuing with the travel ban, of the countries targeted in the travel ban (countries upon which Obama had placed travel restrictions), were only muslims banned, or were all citizens banned, regardless of their ethnicity, skin color or religious identification?

ok doser

OK, now let's take a look at this claim of yours:

first of all, let's note that the ban did not affect people of Middle Eastern descent who were not citizens of the specific countries targeted

American citizens of middle eastern descent, for example

Canadian citizens of middle eastern descent

etc.

Secondly, let's turn to the World Atlas to see which countries are "Middle Eastern":

untitled-design-316.jpg

now let's look at the countries targeted by the travel ban (the most extensive of the three travel bans):

travel-ban-countries.jpg

now do a mental Venn diagram and let's see which countries in the first group don't overlap with the countries in the second group

that would be the muslim-majority Middle Eastern counries of:

Turkey
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Oman
UAE
Qatar
Kuwait
Jordan
Palestine
Lebanon

and Israel

So, more muslim countries excluded from the travel ban than included in it

can we agree that your claim:

is inaccurate?

Alate_One

Ok, let's tackle the "muslim ban" aka the travel ban

Did trump propose a ban on immigration from the three countries with the largest populations of muslims - Indonesia, Pakistan and india?

No, but it wasn't just about religion it was also about race, which is what makes it racist. Banning the entire population of a country because of the actions of a few people is the definition of a racist action. No terrorists on US soil have ever come from the original banned countries on the list either, so if it's not grouping people by race, what is it?

Mind you some countries were excluded for reasons other than race, Trump has some kind of fascination with Saudi Arabia and likely some military cooperation and/or business ties excluded Pakistan, Egypt and Turkey.

All of that said I was really looking at the immigration issues on the southern border, which seems to be Trump's singular obsession.

Alate_One

can we agree that your claim:

is inaccurate?
You misread what I said. I meant the people the ban included were nearly all people of middle eastern descent, not that the entire global population of middle eastern people were banned. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure North Korea and Venezuela were tossed in, in a naked attempt to say "look it's not racist!"

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You misread what I said. I meant the people the ban included were nearly all people of middle eastern descent, not that the entire global population of middle eastern people were banned.

Not quite. Saudi Arabia was exempted. As you might remember, most of the 9/11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia.

But Trump has a lot of business projects in Saudi Arabia.

So you know what came out as first priority, don't you?

Alate_One

only if the ethnic makeup of the country is homogeneous

or if you re-define "race" to mean "country of origin"

In the countries in question that's fairly well the case, race isn't the same as ethnicity. Racist people in the US look at countries like Iran, Iraq and Syria as being racially the same.

ok doser

... the people the ban included were nearly all people of middle eastern descent....

indeed

you could have just said that some of the people the original ban included were all citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen

the fact remains that the travel ban did not target most people of middle eastern descent

or the overwhelming majority of muslims in the region, not to mention the world

can we agree that the travel ban ignored more muslims than it targeted?

can we agree that the travel ban ignored more people of middle eastern descent than it targeted?

and can we agree that the initial travel ban targeted three countries outside the Middle East?

ok doser

In the countries in question that's fairly well the case, race isn't the same as ethnicity.

ok, let's define terms

when you use the term "race", what do you mean?

Racist people in the US look at countries like Iran, Iraq and Syria as being racially the same.

if you say so, i try to avoid interacting with ignorant people