Who will face Trump in the election of 2020?

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
President Trump formally launched his 2020 re-election campaign on Tuesday in front of a large crowd in Orlando, Florida, telling them "We are going to keep making America great again and then we will indeed keep America great..We are going to keep it better than ever before and that is why I stand before you tonight to officially launch my campaign for a second term as president of the United States"

So who will face Trump, it certainly wont be Biden as everyone sees him as too weak and indecisive no matter what the polls say. And Bernie Sanders has been loosing ground since last running for the office so it doesn't look good, so who will it be?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am going to go with my first and second choice. Biden and Warren. Not everyone sees Biden as *weak*. I see him as an upgrade who will bring America BACK to the respectability (with our allies that we once had).

Warren is more about policy and standing for middle and lower class Americans rather than the 1%. I don't care much for Sanders but he would receive my "anyone but" vote.

The Berean

Yeah baby! :banana:

creepy uncle Joe and Pocohontas = four more years of trump!

If Trump is actually reelected it's going to be crazy. Just watching arrogant, self-righteous, full-of-themselves, snarky SJW types cry like babies is interesting. These guys epitomize the SJW leftist types I despise.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
If Trump is actually reelected it's going to be crazy. Just watching arrogant, self-righteous, full-of-themselves, snarky SJW types cry like babies is interesting. These guys epitomize the SJW leftist types I despise.

Dave Rubin used to work with Cenk and crew, grew disillusioned and left and now does his own podcasts - i found him through the one he did with jordan peterson, but he's done quite a few others that i've enjoyed

The Berean

Dave Rubin used to work with Cenk and crew, grew disillusioned and left and now does his own podcasts - i found him through the one he did with jordan peterson, but he's done quite a few others that i've enjoyed

It looks like Rubin and Cenk hate each other now. They've traded insults often over the years.

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
I am going to go with my first and second choice. Biden and Warren. Not everyone sees Biden as *weak*. I see him as an upgrade who will bring America BACK to the respectability (with our allies that we once had).

Warren is more about policy and standing for middle and lower class Americans rather than the 1%. I don't care much for Sanders but he would receive my "anyone but" vote.

True, but he has shown himself to be so, just look at the backtracking he had to do on the abortion stand. As for Warren, I like her, but you know after Hillary, the scorched earth style left everyone a bit gun shy on pulling that trigger. I cant see them taking a chance again and going through another devastating election night disappointment.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
This is well known here in California. It will be interesting to see if she appeals to broad based voter coalition.

i don't get any sense that she does, but then bammy was the darkest of horses before a few speeches got him noticed back in 2007 (2008? - when did he catch fire?)

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
This is well known here in California. It will be interesting to see if she appeals to broad based voter coalition.

I would rather see Bernie Sanders, at least he is much more upfront and honest then these other candidates.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
True, but he has shown himself to be so, just look at the backtracking he had to do on the abortion stand. As for Warren, I like her, but you know after Hillary, the scorched earth style left everyone a bit gun shy on pulling that trigger. I cant see them taking a chance again and going through another devastating election night disappointment.

Trump apparently fears Biden most, and probably should. Biden is strongest specifically in those swing states that Trump has to win to get a second term.

Trump's March internal polling showed him far behind Biden in battleground states: ABC

President Trump’s first internal campaign poll showed him trailing far behind Democratic front-runner and former Vice President Joe Biden in key battleground states, his campaign confirmed to ABC News in a report published Friday.

The data revealed Biden had a double-digit 55 percent to 39 percent lead in Pennsylvania, a 51-41 percent lead in Wisconsin and a 7 point lead in Florida. Trump was shown to be ahead by only 2 points in Texas, which has a strong Republican base.

The poll was conducted between March 15 and March 28, ABC News reported.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pre...lling-data-march-showed-joe/story?id=63718268

bibleverse2

President Trump formally launched his 2020 re-election campaign on Tuesday in front of a large crowd in Orlando, Florida, telling them "We are going to keep making America great again and then we will indeed keep America great..We are going to keep it better than ever before and that is why I stand before you tonight to officially launch my campaign for a second term as president of the United States"

He will always have large crowds so long as he keeps the undying support of about 43% of voters.

But that is not enough to win 2020. He has to convince independents and suburban GOP women that he will be better than whoever the Dems put up.

And if they put up a woman who presents herself as not radical, he will have a problem.

That woman could be Harris.

She is able to change her views on anything, even back and forth over time, so long as they align with the most recent polls.

. . . it certainly wont be Biden as everyone sees him as too weak and indecisive no matter what the polls say.

As a genius lawyer, Harris can make arguments, and ask penetrating questions, that make her present views (whatever they may be) seem as the only logical conclusion.

. . . Bernie Sanders has been loosing ground since last running for the office so it doesn't look good, so who will it be?

Bernie made the mistake of overexposure. People are getting sick of his shtick.

Harris has been wise not to overexpose herself, not to peak too early, not to make people sick of her.

She will put in a solid performance in the upcoming debate, keeping her in the top four or five, but still biding her time until Biden and Bernie burn themselves out.

Bernie only lasted so long in 2016 because of how many Dems hated Hillary.

Also, Pocahontas could begin to burn out due to seeming too intense.

The WSJ had an interesting poll recently which showed that Dems want someone who is not intense (like Trump), or radical in policy (like Sanders), but who is more calm and steady.

CALMala Harris could be their answer.

bibleverse2

The data revealed Biden had a double-digit 55 percent to 39 percent lead [over Trump] in Pennsylvania, a 51-41 percent lead in Wisconsin and a 7 point lead in Florida. Trump was shown to be ahead by only 2 points in Texas, which has a strong Republican base.

But these are such early days. And even ABC recently ran a detailed story regarding Biden's son and a billion-dollar Chinese deal with him while Biden was VP. (And even now Biden is saying that China is no competitor to the U.S.) There was also a problem with cocaine being found in a car rented by his son, but with no charges ever being filed.

That ABC would run such stories shows that the leftist media is not beholden to Biden, but could take him down as not leftist enough.

In order to win 2020, the Dem nominee will have to thread the needle of being leftist enough for the media but not too left to annoy independents or suburban GOP women.

The nominee will have to also not have serious clouds like the Biden-China deal hanging over him or her.

Imagine if Trump's son made a billion-dollar deal with Russia while Trump was in office. The media and Dem House would go berserk.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
But these are such early days. And even ABC recently ran a detailed story regarding Biden's son and a billion-dollar Chinese deal with him while Biden was VP. (And even now Biden is saying that China is no competitor to the U.S.) There was also a problem with cocaine being found in a car rented by his son, but with no charges ever being filed.

I guess you'll do what you can with what you have, but I would think it would be a very unwise idea to bring up a discussion of foreign entanglements considering Trump's ongoing problems.

In order to win 2020, the Dem nominee will have to thread the needle of being leftist enough for the media but not too left to annoy independents or suburban GOP women.

That's not going to happen. Biden's tendency is to say what he means. And yes, that can get a politician in trouble. On the other hand, comparing his often impolitic mouth with Trump's compulsive lying, it could be an asset.

The nominee will have to also not have serious clouds like the Biden-China deal hanging over him or her.

Doesn't sound like much of a deal, considering the present administration, does it?

Imagine if Trump was negotiating a billion-dollar deal with Russia while Trump was running for president. Imagine if Trump *****-footed around the murder of a Washington Post correspondent by Saudi Arabia, because Trump has huge investments in that country. Imagine if Trump exempted Saudi Arabia (from whence most of the 9/11 terrorists came) from his Muslim ban.

The media and Dem House would go berserk.

That kind of thing does tend to upset Americans, yes.

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Trump apparently fears Biden most, and probably should. Biden is strongest specifically in those swing states that Trump has to win to get a second term.

Trump's March internal polling showed him far behind Biden in battleground states: ABC

President Trump’s first internal campaign poll showed him trailing far behind Democratic front-runner and former Vice President Joe Biden in key battleground states, his campaign confirmed to ABC News in a report published Friday.

The data revealed Biden had a double-digit 55 percent to 39 percent lead in Pennsylvania, a 51-41 percent lead in Wisconsin and a 7 point lead in Florida. Trump was shown to be ahead by only 2 points in Texas, which has a strong Republican base.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pre...lling-data-march-showed-joe/story?id=63718268

But Biden has too many weaknesses, especially as being a pawn for other interest, i.e. Chinese.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
But Biden has too many weaknesses, especially as being a pawn for other interest, i.e. Chinese.

That story doesn't seem to be playing very well. And given that Trump is now being investigated for foreign emoluments from various nations,it's probably a conversation, he doesn't want to get started.

It's not just foreign corruption...

Federal Watchdog Finds Government Ignored Emoluments Clause With Trump Hotel
Officials leasing the Old Post Office Building for the Trump International Hotel in Washington improperly ignored the Constitution's anti-corruption clauses when they continued to lease the government property to President Trump even after he won the White House, according to an internal federal government watchdog.

The Inspector General for the General Services Administration, the agency that leased the building to Trump in 2013, said in a report published Wednesday that agency lawyers decided to ignore the constitutional issues when they reviewed the lease after Trump won the 2016 election.

"The GSA Office of General Counsel recognized that the President's business interest in the lease raised issues under the U.S. Constitution that might cause a breach of the lease, yet chose not to address those issues," said Inspector General Carol F. Ochoa. "As a result, GSA foreclosed an opportunity for an early resolution of these issues and instead certified compliance with a lease that is under a constitutional cloud."

Neither the White House nor the Trump Organization has responded to interview requests.

"Today, the GSA OIG confirmed what we all knew: The Trump Administration is in violation of the Emoluments clauses of the United States Constitution," said Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., in a statement. "GSA's decision to not consider whether the President's business interest in the Old Post Office lease might be unconstitutional has enabled the President to line his pockets."

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/6859...nt-ignored-emoluments-clause-with-trump-hotel

But there's plenty of evidence for that, too:

Trump’s Stand on Saudi Murder Boosts Emoluments Lawsuit, AGs Say

Donald Trump’s continued support for Saudi Arabia even after a reported CIA finding that its crown prince ordered the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi bolsters a lawsuit over the president’s financial dealings with foreign governments, according to the attorney general for Washington, D.C.

The District of Columbia’s AG, Karl Racine, together with his Maryland counterpart, Brian Frosh, accuse Trump in the lawsuit of violating the U.S. Constitution’s emoluments clauses by profiting from his presidency. To prevent the corruption of policymaking, the rules forbid presidents to take payments of any kind from foreign or domestic sovereigns.
relates to Trump’s Stand on Saudi Murder Boosts Emoluments Lawsuit, AGs Say

The two Democrats claim the president is trampling on the rarely tested restrictions by allowing the Trump Organization’s luxury Washington hotel to do business with a host of foreign powers, including Saudi Arabia and its crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...audi-murder-boosts-emoluments-lawsuit-ags-say

On April 30, a federal district judge rejected Trump’s motion to throw out the lawsuit filed by approximately 201 members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives alleging that Trump has flagrantly violated the Foreign Emoluments Clause. The case was largely overlooked as national attention has focused on Trump’s obstruction of justice and his efforts to block further congressional scrutiny of his abuses of power.

U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan, in a comprehensive 48-page opinion, ruled that the narrow definition of “emoluments” advanced by Trump’s lawyers “disregards the ordinary meaning of the term as set forth in the vast majority of Founding-era dictionaries; is inconsistent with the text, structure, historical interpretation, adoption, and purpose of the Clause; and is contrary to Executive Branch practice over the course of many years.”

This was not the first time a federal judge has allowed such a case to go forward against Trump. Last July, in an equally comprehensive 52-page decision, U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte denied Trump’s attempt to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the attorneys general of the District of Columbia and the State of Maryland. Both these lawsuits in essence challenge Trump’s outrageous declaration that “I have a no-conflict situation because I’m president,” a haunting echo of Richard Nixon’s infamous and doomed claim that “when the president does it, that means it is not illegal.”

For the first time since the Constitution was ratified, both federal courts agreed with the plaintiffs that “emoluments” means “any profit, gain, or advantage” and rejected the president’s more narrow definition of “emoluments” to mean only a payment made as compensation for official services. Judge Messitte found Trump’s arguments “unpersuasive,” and “misplaced,” reflecting a “cramped interpretation” of the Constitution, which ignored the “large accumulation of historical evidence” and would lead to an “essentially absurd result.”

https://prospect.org/article/emoluments-clause-could-be-tipping-point-trumps-downfall

Gary K

Banned

Joe is unbelievably corrupt. He went to China a brokered a deal with the Chinese which resulted in his son doing more than a billion dollars worth of business with the Chineses government. Joe's kid had no connections to China, the Chinese government, or Chinese business and he somehow, until out of the blue after his daddy goes to China gets a business deal worth more than a billion. Strangers do not get that type of reception in China nor do they do that amount of business with the Chinese without having years of history dealing with them. The only Biden that knew how the Chinese did business was Joe because of his years in politics.

He's just as corrupted by Chinese money as McConnell is.