McConnell whines that he's being blamed because he cut off help for 9/11 heroes

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Mitch McConnell doesn't want to be criticized for ignoring 9/11 first responders.

Mitch McConnell lashed out at comedian Jon Stewart after the former Daily Show host criticized the Senate Majority Leader for dragging his feet on authorizing funds to compensate 9/11 first responders.

Appearing on "Fox & Friends" on Monday, McConnell was shown footage of Stewart criticizing McConnell's actions.

"[McConnell] has always held out until the very last minute and only then under intense lobbying and public shaming has he even deigned to move on it," Stewart explained in the clip.

"Many things in Congress happen at the last minute," McConnell said dismissively. "I don't know why he's all bent out of shape," McConnell added, referring to Stewart's critique.

In 2015, McConnell blocked the creation of a permanent fund to assist the first responders. Thanks to his actions, they must lobby Congress to reauthorize the current, temporary fund before money runs out in 2020.

Stewart was on Capitol Hill last week and gave emotional testimony imploring Congress to help these men and women.

"They did their jobs with courage, grace, tenacity, humility. Eighteen years later, do yours," he said Tuesday.

McConnell, instead of using his position to rectify the issue, told reporters the next day: "Gosh, I hadn't looked at that lately."

https://shareblue.com/mcconnell-whi...-srcOQsZpdDxhgZIAAR5V2cL2hpb4STHckI89IYXSzo-w

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Looks like Barbarian is one of those people who cares more about how bad he can make people look than what can be done to help.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I went to the links and listened to the video expecting to hear McConnell "whining" and guess what?

barbie lied

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Jon Stewart responds to Mitch McConnell over 9/11 victim fund: 'Meet with them'
McConnell told Fox News that he didn't know why Stewart was "all bent out of shape" when it comes to the reauthorization of the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund, and said it would be fully funded.
The current law was renewed in 2015 and is set to expire in 2020, but the fund's administrator announced in February that there was insufficient funding to pay all claims. At the time of its last renewal, Congress appropriated $4.6 billion for the fund, bringing the total appropriated amount of the fund over the years to $7.4 billion. The new bill, which advanced out of committee, does not call for a specific amount of money but whatever sums necessary through 2090.

"I'm bent out of shape for them," Stewart said Monday. "These are the first heroes and veterans and victims of the great trillions of dollars war on terror."
Stewart said these first responders are still suffering and dying, and that "you would think that that would be enough to get Congress' attention but apparently it's not."
Stewart strongly criticized Congress while giving testimony to a half-empty US House Judiciary Committee last week. The panel unanimously supported the bill later last week.
In a clip that "The Late Show" broadcast during Stewart's segment, McConnell told Fox News that congressional member absence during committee hearings "frequently happens because members have a lot of things going on at the same time."

"Now I feel stupid," Stewart said sarcastically. "This is a huge misunderstanding. I didn't know that they were busy ... I didn't mean to interrupt them with their jobs!"

Speaking directly to McConnell, Stewart said that the senator loves members of the 9/11 community when "they serve your political purposes, but when they're in urgent need you slow walk, you dither, you use it as a political pawn to get other things you want and you don't get the job done completely."
"If you want to know why the 9/11 community is 'bent out of shape' over these past, let's call it 18 years, meet with them, tomorrow, as soon as possible, and don't make them beg for it," Stewart said. "You could pass this thing as a standalone bill tomorrow. Meet with them, I beg of you."
Stewart took one last parting shot at the Senate Majority Leader.
"If you're busy, I get it," he said. "Just understand the next time we have a war, or you're being robbed, or your house is on fire, and you make that desperate call for help, don't get bent out of shape if they show up at the last minute with fewer people than you thought were going to pay attention and don't actually put it out."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/media/jon-stewart-late-show/index.html

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Mitch McConnell is a vile human being who has relentlessly blocked every piece of good and beneficial legislation proposed in America by the Democrats in Washington in our time .
He is utterly opposed to raising the minimum wage yet has constantly voted to increase his own salary as a senator , and so on ad infinitum . What a slimy little hypocrite !
In some ways, he's even more evil than Trump .

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
McConnell doesn't set out to be evil. In his view, everyone is entitled to whatever they can get. He just intends to not be a loser. So Stewart's complaint that he uses the 9/11 responders for his own purposes, and then ignores them when they can't do anything for him, puzzles him. To paraphrase, "that's how it works."

It's his value system.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barbarian sets out to be a troll.

It's his value system.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
No he doesn't. Just because you don't like what he says doesn't make him a troll.

you're right - that's not what makes him a troll

what makes him a troll is the fact that he acts like a troll, that he posts like a troll , that he's recognized by the vast majority of the posters on tol as a troll

It just makes you look like a control freak.

:darwinsm: sez the control freak who's trying to control stripe :darwinsm: