Scientists Question Darwinism

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Yes, but the differences are often very small between the denominations.

I can only assume that those who took the time and effort required to establish a new Christian denomination, were not of the opinion that " the differences are often very small!"

You seem to be assuming that each of the 33000+ Christian denominations believe that the other 32999+ Christian denominations are so far off in their beliefs that they must wage bloody jihad against them.
That is not the case
History leads s to believe otherwise!

Last edited:

genuineoriginal

I can only assume that those who took the time and effort required to establish a new Christian denomination, were not of the opinion that " the differences are often very small!"
You know what happens when you "assume".

History leads us to believe otherwise!
You must be reading Liberal revisionist history instead of real history.

Why Are There So Many Christian Denominations?

Within Christianity, there are three primary divisions: Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, and Protestantism.

While virtually all Roman Catholic churches hold the same beliefs, forms, and structure, the theology of Protestant churches varies according to smaller groupings. These include Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, and Pentecostal churches, as well as numerous other groups.

In addition, there are a growing number of churches that are mainly Protestant in their doctrine but do not affiliate with any specific denomination. They are considered nondenominational.

One reason for the existence of so many denominations is disparity in personality, passions, and talents. Consider individuals for a moment. Some people connect with God best through the exercise of their minds or while in nature. Others experience spirituality through creative or artistic expression. Still others feel a sacred or divine connection when they serve others or help those who are hurting.

While all of these are admirable and valid means to connect with God, it’s no surprise that different churches and even whole denominations embodying these distinctive personalities have emerged.

Another reason relates to the role of tradition. Some people appreciate the structure and heritage of worshiping God according to traditions passed down over many centuries. Thus they might be more comfortable in Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Episcopal, or Lutheran churches. Others, however, prefer to explore new and different ways of worshiping God or practicing their faith; they might feel boxed in by rituals or traditions. Therefore a nondenominational church might suit them best.

Culture plays a critical role as well; people from different cultures practice their faith in distinctive ways. It should not surprise us if churches in a middle-class English town are extremely different from those in a war-torn, poverty-stricken village in Africa. Consequently, churches and whole denominations will vary greatly depending upon the geographical location and cultural values of the people themselves.

Of course, these are not the only reasons that different denominations exist, but practical matters such as these often play significant roles in church divisions.

Finally, it should be noted that a lack of uniformity among Christian denominations does not necessarily imply a lack of unity. Regardless of church, denomination, culture, or geographical location, there are a few central tenets that unite virtually all Christians.

Christians ... believe that all humans are sinful and in need of grace. Moreover, Christians hold that only Jesus—through his life, death, and resurrection—makes it possible for us to experience God’s forgiveness and grace. Christians also believe that the Bible most clearly reveals these spiritual truths.

As one Christian once wrote: “In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; in all things, charity.”

Kit the Coyote

:sigh:

Of course they can be. The claim is that the Bible teaches "six days" of creation. Where else are we supposed to look to find out what scripture says other than the text?

You left out a key part. I never questioned what the Bible said.

If the claim was: "Tolkien uses an out-of-universe metaphor in The Lord of the Rings, the evidence would obviously be in his book.

The account of the universe being sung into existence by the Arda under the influence of Illuvatar is in his books. Do you accept this as evidence of the creation?

You need to respond to what people have claimed, not what you wish they had said.

Perhaps you should do the same, your response did not address what Jonahdog was saying. I simply point out you say the text is evidence yet such evidence is meaningless if it does not accurately reflect the observable facts.

Right Divider

Body part
The first verse of the chapter (Ps 100:1 KJV) seems to disagree with you: "all ye lands".

Other translations:
ASV, WEB: "all ye lands"
NKJV, HNV: "all you lands"
RSV: "all the lands"
NIV, ESV, NASB, NET, YLT, DBY, NLT: "all the earth"

Seems to be pretty consistently translated to include more than just Israel, at least for the commands to "Make a joyful noise" and "Serve the Lord with gladness", not to mention "come before His presence with singing". It would be odd for the context to switch to just Israel for vs 3, and only after the first phrase (which maintains the second person address format), before it goes back to being more general in vs 4 with "Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name."

Oh, but I see it says the word "sheep", and that automatically excludes everybody but Israel.
Believe whatever you want.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
What do you go to hell for? If we give God's glory to another? If we blaspheme the Holy Spirit by saying some demon (whatever his name may be) is responsible for God's work?

What creationist does that? Scientists who accept evolution, certainly don't do that.

I don't think you can say it is idolatry to give God glory where God says He did something good.

That was Darwin's point, when he suggested that God created the first living things.

And again, "evolution" isn't really the boogieman here. It's "evolutionism", or a belief in an unguided process, as [MENTION=16942]JudgeRightly[/MENTION] was saying. An "unguided" creation is antithetical to God's creation narrative.

For a Christian, who accepts that God is omnipotent, He can use contingency as easily as He uses necessity to effect divine providence. So it might look "unguided", but God is always Lord.

And how far do we go when rejecting what God has told us? Do we stop at Genesis?

Other than the YE doctrine of "life ex nihilo", which is directly ruled out by God in Genesis, I can't think of another case. Christians recognize that it makes no difference to your salvation if you accept Genesis creation stories as literally true, or as figurative. God doesn't make it a salvation issue.

Or is all scripture now suspect, and needing to be interpreted in light of current scientific theories.

There aren't any conflicts between scripture and science, and only one I know of between YE creationism and scripture.

That's not to say that Christians haven't mis-interpreted scripture in gross ways over the years. Creationists need to be careful not to lock too tightly into a particular interpretation when others are feasible.

Good point. As St. Augustine wrote:
My greatest certainty was that "the invisible things of thine from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even thy eternal power and Godhead." For when I inquired how it was that I could appreciate the beauty of bodies, both celestial and terrestrial; and what it was that supported me in making correct judgments about things mutable; and when I concluded, "This ought to be thus; this ought not"—then when I inquired how it was that I could make such judgments (since I did, in fact, make them), I realized that I had found the unchangeable and true eternity of truth above my changeable mind. (Confessions 7:17)

God guiding an unguided process is an internally contradictory and unfeasible doctrine.

God guiding a contingent process, however, is perfectly consistent with omnipotence.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Or maybe we are told to enter into God's rest?:

"There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience"
(Heb.4:9-11).​
Uh, that can be done while not adding a timeframe to the cessation from creating the universe.

Jerry Shugart

Uh, that can be done while not adding a timeframe to the cessation from creating the universe.

I thought that you said that the timeframe for each of the first six days was 24 hours. If you did then wouldn't the timeframe be the same for the seventh day?

If the LORD's day of rest was a 24 hour day then it makes no sense for the author of the book of Hebrews to be speaking of His rest still existing in the first century.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I thought that you said that the timeframe for each of the first six days was 24 hours. If you did then wouldn't the timeframe be the same for the seventh day?
Sure. But God ceasing from His work doesn't paint anything onto day 7 about its length.

If the LORD's day of rest was a 24 hour day then it makes no sense for the author of the book of Hebrews to be speaking of His rest still existing in the first century.
Unless His "rest" was just a cessation from creating the universe.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

The Baptism and Genealogy of Jesus (Mark 3:21-39)

21) When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened
22) and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

23) Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry.
He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph,
the son of Heli,

24) the son of Matthat,
the son of Levi,
the son of Melki,
the son of Jannai,
the son of Joseph,

25) the son of Mattathias,
the son of Amos,
the son of Nahum,
the son of Esli,
the son of Naggai,

26) the son of Maath,
the son of Mattathias,
the son of Semein,
the son of Josek,
the son of Joda,

27) the son of Joanan,
the son of Rhesa,
the son of Zerubbabel,
the son of Shealtiel,
the son of Neri,

28) the son of Melki,
the son of Addi,
the son of Cosam,
the son of Elmadam,
the son of Er,

29) the son of Joshua,
the son of Eliezer,
the son of Jorim,
the son of Matthat,
the son of Levi,

30) the son of Simeon,
the son of Judah,
the son of Joseph,
the son of Jonam,
the son of Eliakim,

31) the son of Melea,
the son of Menna,
the son of Mattatha,
the son of Nathan,
the son of David,

32) the son of Jesse,
the son of Obed,
the son of Boaz,
the son of Salmon,
the son of Nahshon,

33) the son of Amminadab,
the son of Ram,
the son of Hezron,
the son of Perez,
the son of Judah,

34) the son of Jacob,
the son of Isaac,
the son of Abraham,
the son of Terah,
the son of Nahor,

35) the son of Serug,
the son of Reu,
the son of Peleg,
the son of Eber,
the son of Shelah,

36) the son of Cainan,
the son of Arphaxad,
the son of Shem,
the son of Noah,
the son of Lamech,

37) the son of Methuselah,
the son of Enoch,
the son of Jared,
the son of Mahalalel,
the son of Kenan,

38) the son of Enosh,
the son of Seth,
the son of Adam,
the son of God.
Just how does the 6 day interpretation explain the geological record, the fossil record and the appearance of different "races" as we know them!

The 6000 year time period, when one traces Christ's ancestors back to Adam in the Bible, neither addresses nor accommodates these observable phenomena!

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just how does the 6 day interpretation explain the geological record, the fossil record and the appearance of different "races" as we know them! The 6000 year time period, when one traces Christ's ancestors back to Adam in the Bible, neither addresses nor accommodates these observable phenomena!

Have you conceded that the Bible teaches "six days"?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
.. the fossil record ...

that would be the "record" where bone and shell were replaced by mineral stone over millions and millions of years?

except in those cases where soft tissue is found in samples that are "75 million" years old? :chuckle:

in any other scientific discipline, a discovery of that nature would have led to a re-examination of basic theories

Jerry Shugart

Sure. But God ceasing from His work doesn't paint anything onto day 7 about its length.

Since the LORD began resting on the seventh day and He was still resting in the first century then the day of His rest was much longer that 24 hours.

Unless His "rest" was just a cessation from creating the universe.

Even so He is still resting according to the author of the book of Hebrews.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since the LORD began resting on the seventh day and He was still resting in the first century then the day of His rest was much longer that 24 hours.
Or the "day of rest" was just the day after He finished creating the universe. There seems to be no need to place a duration on such a description. It would be like saying: "I finished baking this cake on Thursday last week, and my finish has lasted nearly a week so far."

He is still resting according to the author of the book of Hebrews.

It's been about 6,000 years since the day He stopped creating.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Have you conceded that the Bible teaches "six days"?
Quite the opposite - why would God create a world which included the fossil record of plants and animals that never actually existed?

How do we explain the geological evidence associated with the Ice Ages and the genetic link between human settlement in Siberia and those residing in North and South America?

The creation of different "races" is also not mentioned in the Bible, but our knowledge of genetics indicates that this could not have all happened in the approximately 6000 to 7000 year "window" between Adam and the present.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Is reading your second language?

You know that the Bible says "six days," right?
Try as you might, 6 days doesn't explain the existence of difference races, the geological record and the fossil record of plants and animals not mentioned in the Bible - apparently we are to dismiss all these loose ends as nothing more than "fake news?"