Why Stop At Birth?

glorydaz

is adultery right or wrong?

is homosexuality right or wrong?

They're wrong, of course.

The question remains whether the death penalty can be imposed BY THE GOVERNMENT for those particular wrong doings.

They are both against God's law, but it is not the government's place to judge or enforce issues of morality.

glorydaz

Well, there's no doubting that man is at the top of the "food chain" no matter what one's beliefs but most people I know who doubt that there's a god aren't doing so out of ego is all. The kind of stuff proposed on here would likely make them even more cynical more than anything.

They may not realize it's a matter of ego, Artie, but it boils down to just that.

The pride of life is clearly man's biggest argument against a being higher than themselves.

glorydaz

definitely me - i have had murder in my heart often

:shut:

i don't understand what you're saying here

Having murder in your heart is not equivalent to committing murder.

And I think you know what I mean about the cake.

It's an inside joke you may have missed out on. :idunno:

glorydaz

Do you need a belief in God not to be cruel to someone? To not murder someone? To not steal from your neighbour for fear of something that might happen to you in an afterlife? If the only reason you don't act to the detriment of your fellow man is out of fear of consequence then there's nothing moral about that JR.

What's sad about that is that man doesn't give credit to his Creator for creating him with a conscience to know right from wrong. He somehow gives himself credit for that....as you sorta seem to be doing right there. :chuckle:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can agree with you IF you're saying what I think you're saying.

We can quickly clear this up.

Do you believe people should be forced to marry if they have sex?
Do you believe homosexuals should be put to death?
Do you believe those who commit adultery should be subject to death?
Do you think perjury is a death penalty offence?
Not necessarily. The implementation of such things would require some nuance.

Adultery should be a capital crime, as should homosexuality, but as with how the law was set up for Israel, the process has some hidey holes.

That's probably not going to satisfy you. It's not so easy for me when it comes to imagining how I would establish the law if given the chance as it is to say broadly what God's standards are.

Arthur Brain

They may not realize it's a matter of ego, Artie, but it boils down to just that.

The pride of life is clearly man's biggest argument against a being higher than themselves.

How can it be ego if there's no pride in it or realization? If people have doubts then they're not bolstering themselves up or anything, I'm not getting you here.

Arthur Brain

What's sad about that is that man doesn't give credit to his Creator for creating him with a conscience to know right from wrong. He somehow gives himself credit for that....as you sorta seem to be doing right there. :chuckle:

I can see what you're saying, but then whatever the design process involved we can't really give ourselves credit one way or the other. Some people are born with an underdeveloped part of the brain where emotions such as empathy and compassion/guilt are affected etc to put it pretty simplistically.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I can agree with you IF you're saying what I think you're saying.

We can quickly clear this up.

Do you believe people should be forced to marry if they have sex?
Do you believe homosexuals should be put to death?
Do you believe those who commit adultery should be subject to death?
Do you think perjury is a death penalty offence?

let me take a crack at this one:

yes
yes
yes
yes, depending on the nature of the perjury

glorydaz

Not necessarily. The implementation of such things would require some nuance.

Adultery should be a capital crime, as should homosexuality, but as with how the law was set up for Israel, the process has some hidey holes.

That's probably not going to satisfy you. It's not so easy for me when it comes to imagining how I would establish the law if given the chance as it is to say broadly what God's standards are.

You're right. It doesn't satisfy me, but I truly appreciate your response. You admit the process has some "hidey holes". And that is a great big point that needs to be made. One would think a city of refuge needed to be set up just in case these bedroom sins were ever found out. ;) Even manslayers could go and avoid death.

Numbers 35:6 And among the cities which ye shall give unto the Levites there shall be six cities for refuge, which ye shall appoint for the manslayer, that he may flee thither: and to them ye shall add forty and two cities.​

Not only hidey holes, though, but unforeseen consequences as well. Like witnesses to the offence being murdered or bought off. People being paid to provide false witness against another.

This is why I say these laws didn't work for Israel any better than they would today....only difference being that God gave the Jews an out. They could bring sacrifices for their sins. They were given cities of refuge. There were multiple witness rules that kept most sexual sins from being brought before the "judge" or the counsel. In fact, a penitent one would bring the appropriate sacrifice and thereby avoid any death penalty.

But then.....something happened.

I'm reminded of this sexual sinner Paul encountered. What would have been a death sentence under the law turned into excommunication from the church. 1 Cor. 5:1

glorydaz

I can see what you're saying, but then whatever the design process involved we can't really give ourselves credit one way or the other. Some people are born with an underdeveloped part of the brain where emotions such as empathy and compassion/guilt are affected etc to put it pretty simplistically.

Yeah, but then those folks don't usually have a pride problem to deal with. Their "underdevelopment" is a big enough burden, I would imagine.

glorydaz

How can it be ego if there's no pride in it or realization? If people have doubts then they're not bolstering themselves up or anything, I'm not getting you here.

Sorry....the point I'm making isn't really that important. Just that anyone who fails to give glory to a higher power is in reality (albeit without realizing it) taking that glory for himself. It's just human nature to think more highly of himself than he ought.