Why Stop At Birth?

Kit the Coyote

Where I spend the next life has absolutely no bearing.

I don't have the full details but I gathered this event occurred somewhere around the 20th week of pregnancy and that the woman lived to have more children. So I can make some assumptions for the purpose of clarity.
- I read somewhere on the subject of premature birth that so far no child born prior to the 21 weeks has ever lived so the child chances of living after a C-section is effectively zero.
- The mother reportedly went on to have at least one other child.
- The Doctors were fairly sure at the time that she would not survive a C-section.

So the choice came down to an almost certainty that four or more people die, including the future unborn children. Or 'murder' the one child that is going to die anyway and save at least two or more of those lives. In the position of the father being asked to make this choice, what do you do?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Where I spend the next life has absolutely no bearing.

I don't have the full details but I gathered this event occurred somewhere around the 20th week of pregnancy and that the woman lived to have more children. So I can make some assumptions for the purpose of clarity.
- I read somewhere on the subject of premature birth that so far no child born prior to the 21 weeks has ever lived so the child chances of living after a C-section is effectively zero.
- The mother reportedly went on to have at least one other child.
- The Doctors were fairly sure at the time that she would not survive a C-section.

So therefore... kill the baby?

So the choice came down to an almost certainty that four or more people die, including the future unborn children.

Who didn't exist yet, and therefore by definition couldn't die...

Or 'murder' the one child that is going to die anyway

It's always wrong to murder. The fact that you even consider it as an option shows how filled with bloodlust you are.

It is not wrong to let a dying person die. It IS wrong to kill a dying person.

and save at least two or more of those lives. In the position of the father being asked to make this choice, what do you do?

I tell them that killing my child, my wife's child, is not an option.

Arthur Brain

Yep, and no one is ever scared into belief. :thumb:

That's fair comment. Scare tactics and horror doctrines like "turn or burn" don't result in people having actual belief. They might well result in people going through some sort of motions because they're scared of ending up in some "hell" in case it exists but sincere belief in itself? No.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
And you have that choice, to stand by your moral ground and justly so. There are others who would decide not to bury their entire family and save at least one.

False premise.

No one has the right to say "kill the baby".

Because it's always wrong to kill a baby.

Kit the Coyote

Another example I found also from true life I think but I don't have many details. A mother early in her pregnancy was diagnosed with a particularly aggressive cancer. It is fully treatable but delaying treatment for months to deliver the baby is a death sentence for the mother. The chemo and radiation will kill the baby and likely harm the mother.

glorydaz

Another example I found also from true life I think but I don't have many details. A mother early in her pregnancy was diagnosed with a particularly aggressive cancer. It is fully treatable but delaying treatment for months to deliver the baby is a death sentence for the mother. The chemo and radiation will kill the baby and likely harm the mother.

There are lots of possibilities out there, and it is the hardest choice any person would ever have to make. The problem is with those who abort a baby for matters of convenience, and that has nothing to do with the health of the mother....even when they might claim it does.

Kit the Coyote

There are lots of possibilities out there, and it is the hardest choice any person would ever have to make. The problem is with those who abort a baby for matters of convenience, and that has nothing to do with the health of the mother....even when they might claim it does.

I would agree. An abortion ends a life, unless it was already ended, and thus should really be an option of last resort and desperation.

glorydaz

Fully treatable and particularly aggressive? That's pretty odd, but one thing I do know, from what I've been reading, is that babies can survive just fine during a mother's chemo and radiation. I'm quite sure it is very rare that a baby cannot be brought to the age of viability before the mother's life is in danger.

Unless, of course, a case like you already mentioned....an ectopic pregnancy where the baby is growing in the fallopian tube. That is obviously a case of the life of the mother being endangered and no hope for the baby, either.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Fully treatable and particularly aggressive? That's pretty odd, but one thing I do know, from what I've been reading, is that babies can survive just fine during a mother's chemo and radiation. I'm quite sure it is very rare that a baby cannot be brought to the age of viability before the mother's life is in danger.

Unless, of course, a case like you already mentioned....an ectopic pregnancy where the baby is growing in the fallopian tube. That is obviously a case of the life of the mother being endangered and no hope for the baby, either.
Ectopic pregnancies are survivable, and have been for some time now.

http://www.personhoodinitiative.com/fact-sheet-on-ectopic-pregnancy.html