Discouraged from talking with people about religion.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
This may be complicated, but where I live I have been discouraged from talking with people about religion. Is there anything that protects my right to share my faith? I feel encumbered and want to know if maybe I am an evangelist. I have this thread in politics because I don't know if this is the government or simply not a religious Jewish or Christian source of suppression.

Kit the Coyote

This may be complicated, but where I live I have been discouraged from talking with people about religion. Is there anything that protects my right to share my faith? I feel encumbered and want to know if maybe I am an evangelist. I have this thread in politics because I don't know if this is the government or simply not a religious Jewish or Christian source of suppression.

Depends on who is discouraging you. The government cannot suppress religious or speech in general except under narrow circumstances and then only when applied equally. On the other paw, you do not have a right to engage in any speech you want on someone else's private property if they do not want you there.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Depends on who is discouraging you. The government cannot suppress religious or speech in general except under narrow circumstances and then only when applied equally. On the other paw, you do not have a right to engage in any speech you want on someone else's private property if they do not want you there.

The person in charge with me living here. I have a good relationship with her, but for some reason she felt that she had to tell me that I can't talk about religion with other people who live here. This suppresses me as I share my faith with everyone that I meet. It is unavoidable, whether I am an Evangelist or not.

Kit the Coyote

The person in charge with me living here. I have a good relationship with her, but for some reason she felt that she had to tell me that I can't talk about religion with other people who live here. This suppresses me as I share my faith with everyone that I meet. It is unavoidable, whether I am an Evangelist or not.

Sounds like a social situation. I think the best approach would be to simply apply the golden rule in relation to those living with you.

woodeneye

BANNED
Banned
I don't know where you live but, through the years Jehovah's Witnesses have been very successful in the courts ensuring the rights of everyone to worship the way they choose. I hope that covers your country also.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I don't know where you live but, through the years Jehovah's Witnesses have been very successful in the courts ensuring the rights of everyone to worship the way they choose. I hope that covers your country also.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America, where I was born. Are you thinking of Judaism or Christianity? Many people consider Jehovah's Witnesses to be a cult or a Christian cult.

woodeneye

BANNED
Banned
As long as you're not inciting people to argue, there should be no problem. If you're having an easy discussion without arguing, no one can tell you what you can or cannot say.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
As long as you're not inciting people to argue, there should be no problem. If you're having an easy discussion without arguing, no one can tell you what you can or cannot say.

I don't always know the best thing to say. I know the gospel, but I want to verbalize it.

wonderdog

You'd have to be more specific. Shared living facilities or a work place will generally protect someone's right to privacy over someone's right to free speech.

You can stand outside on a street corner preaching about Jesus or Mohammed and you can knock on a door (where the tenant has the right to invite you in or to say thanks but no thanks and close the door on you), but your right to free speech loses out in a shared living space, where someone will usually be afforded the right to sit and eat their lunch or just sit and do nothing, in peace.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You'd have to be more specific. Shared living facilities or a work place will generally protect someone's right to privacy over someone's right to free speech.

You can stand outside on a street corner preaching about Jesus or Mohammed and you can knock on a door (where the tenant has the right to invite you in or to say thanks but no thanks and close the door on you), but your right to free speech loses out in a shared living space, where someone is usually afforded the right to sit and eat their lunch in peace.
Interesting. I guess I would like to live among believers or share the gospel with those who are not. If I live with people I hope that I can talk to them. Privacy, sure. The power of God unto salvation, yes. It's not free speech. It's the Word of God.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Being protected from outsiders, maybe. But we all live here and we should be allowed or able to talk to each other.

wonderdog

Interesting. I guess I would like to live among believers or share the gospel with those who are not. If I live with people I hope that I can talk to them. Privacy, sure. The power of God unto salvation, yes. It's not free speech. It's the Word of God.

What it sounds like to me is that someone you'd talked to (or multiple people) didn't want to have a confrontation with you and instead spoke to your someone who worked at the place, saying they didn't want to have you talking about religion with them any more. At that point, the person who worked there had to tell you to settle down with the religious talk. That's reasonable.

Maybe you need to reconsider the way you communicate with people about religion. If you're being asked to stop, it's obviously not working.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What it sounds like to me is that someone you'd talked to (or multiple people) didn't want to have a confrontation with you and instead spoke to your someone who worked at the place, saying they didn't want to have you talking about religion with them any more. At that point, the person who worked there had to tell you to settle down with the religious talk. That's reasonable.

Maybe you need to reconsider the way you communicate with people about religion. If you're being asked to stop, it's obviously not working.
Maybe it is the tzitzit and the kippah and Jesus. It most certainly is not what you say. I wasn't even here yet. I do not have a job either. I can't be different than the person that I am, but I can keep changing.

Kit the Coyote

Well, thank you for the advice. I hope to share the gospel with people.

Which I understand but it works both ways which is why I bring up the golden rule. Consider how you share the gospel and put yourself if someone who wanted the share with you the glory of Azathoth and the Mad Dream, in the same way, would you reach a point where you would feel he is intruding on your right to privacy?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Which I understand but it works both ways which is why I bring up the golden rule. Consider how you share the gospel and put yourself if someone who wanted the share with you the glory of Azathoth and the Mad Dream, in the same way, would you reach a point where you would feel he is intruding on your right to privacy?
I probably just think that is ridiculous and I hope that I can rest in the power of God in the gospel. But I do not have much wisdom. I have been a prophet at times in my life and talked about the Law. I hope that people are sensible.