All Things Second Amendment

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I think most great moral truths work their way into the laws of nations that regard them.

As Stripe said below, I don't know of any nation, past or current, that aside from having God guide them in some clear way, ever thought, "hey, we should implement this law against [insert crime here] because it's moral truth."

In fact, just about every nation that has ever existed has eventually broken down morally, including the US.

I also would say that history answers your question and is why we didn't do that more directly.

For the record, my question did not end after laws, it continued on, because I was contrasting the first part of my question with what you suggested we do.

Here it is again:

Why not model our laws after the Lawgiver's laws, instead of trying to model them after fallible man's laws?

I then went on to clarify that I was not talking about religious laws, such as "do not eat certain foods," and "do not wear certain fabrics together", etc.

So first of all, I agree, history does answer my question. It answers it by showing that man is wicked, and doesn't like morality, thus nations have eschewed God's laws in favor of their own, because it puffs them up. History does not say, "because they (the Lawgiver's laws) do not work."

Second, You went on to say the following:

The worst thing you can do to religion is give it power to deny and punish. It draws the corrupt to use it as a means to power.

... as if I did not just state, EXPLICITLY, that I'm not talking about religion, but about laws that apply to EVERYONE, regardless of religion.

So tell me, Town, Why did you make a strawman that you could easily beat down, instead of responding to what I said, which was about morality, not religion?

Third, what you just said regarding religion, "It draws the corrupt to use it as a means to power," equally applies to secular governments, especially democracy, in fact, even more so, because it then becomes possible for someone who is corrupt to lord it over his neighbor.

Which brings me, once again, back to my worldview, which asks, "Why not model our laws after the Lawgiver's (God's) laws, instead of trying to model them after fallible man's laws," and, "why not use the kind of government God chose for His people, rather than what man came up with that God rejected?"

(again, nothing about religion, only laws and government)

Instead, we have a secular nation where we are free to worship and believe and think as we will, with regard only for the rights of others as a consideration.

What makes you think that having a Christian nation (ie, one founded on principles found in the Bible) would take away the freedom to worship and believe and thing as one will"?

Why would having such a nation take away the rights granted by God, the right to Life and Liberty; to Worship, to Free Speech, to Purchase and Use Property; to Purchase, Own, and Carry Individual Defensive Weapons including Firearms; to Protect the Innocent; to Corporally Punish his Children; to Due Process of Law; and to Fail?

Not if you weren't a Christian and not even if you were,

Why?

Our nation was founded on Biblical principles (not as many as it should have been, but biblical nonetheless), and religious freedom is (was?) one of the biggest reasons for people to come here from other countries.

using history as a gauge of human nature, given how narrow that can become. Just so, we had Catholic and Protestant setting Europe ablaze over exegesis.

Right, and Christians, let alone the world, can JUSTLY condemn such actions as immoral. That doesn't make morality immoral.

Great moral truths, such as those, have mostly found a place in our laws, supra.

And they are being eroded away because of secular government.

Moral truth is that murder, adultery, theft, perjury, are all wicked, and should be punished by the government. As Stripe said, our current government has all but legalized all of those crimes.

I think many are, but they're running into a smaller but vocal opposition and an industry with enormous power and dedication.

I haven't presented a false dichotomy

You did.

You said:

. . . if we model our laws after established, superior examples that abound in other Western Industrial Democracies, we can share something else with them: a nation made safer from gun violence.

Or we can keep doing what we're doing and adding to the body count.

"If we do this, we'll have this result, OR we keep doing what we're doing, and we'll have that result."

That's a false dichotomy, because we can do "something else" and have "the other" result.

Namely, "if we implement Godly laws, and a Godly government, instead of trying to make up more laws based on man's wisdom, we won't have the problems we have now."

and you haven't set out why you think I have in any particular. I'd be happy to consider it if you want to proffer particulars.

See above.

It's important to know what you consider meaningful options

Would it have been a meaningful option for Christians in Germany during WWII to oppose the killing of millions of Jews by the Germans?

Was it a meaningful option for Christians to oppose slavery in the 18th and 19th century, to bring an end to it?

How much more so for Christians to want a nation that follows God's laws for man? To want a Godly government?

and whether or not when you use the term you're speaking to options with no possibility of being accomplished.

With that attitude, it never will happen.

Maybe you've heard the expression, "where there's a will, there's a way"?

If that's true, then the opposite is also true. Where there is no will, there is no way.

In the words of Edmund Burke:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

By way of example, you might feel that changing human nature is an option.

Not at all.

And technically you'd be right, but it's unrealistic

Was ending slavery "unrealistic"?

Was stopping the Germans from murdering more Jews "unrealistic"?

Was the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem "unrealistic"?

Should objectives that are desirable, but "unrealistic" be abandoned because they are so?

and contrary to a reasoned examination of man.

All the more reason to have Godly laws and government.

It's an open ended hope with no guideposts for timeframes or measurables.

Should objectives that are desirable, but "unrealistic" be abandoned because they are so?

You might feel fundamentally tearing down the current government and instituting a different one could or would be an option, but it's one that's so improbable as to constitute an exercise in argument more than it would a realistic attempt to alter the current outcome.

To an extent, many of the alternatives are a bit like suggesting that because a boulder has fallen in the way of a tunnel we should dig a completely new tunnel . . . instead of simply removing the boulder.

When mineshafts collapse, do the miners typically try reopening them? or do they typically abandon them (assuming there's no one trapped inside)?

The situation we're in is that our system, a mineshaft of laws and government, is on the brink of collapse, and has already flooded in some places, killing millions, and collapsed in other places, imprisoning millions more under all the legal rubble. Better to save the people trapped inside and abandon it and find a new site, and to start mining using better laws and a better system.

Our government and legal system are old garments. Let's not try to patch them with new fabric, but let's rather put on new garments that don't ever wear down.

... or a bridge over the mountain....

You don't build bridges over mountains. On them, sure, but over them?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As Stripe said below, I don't know of any nation, past or current, that aside from having God guide them in some clear way, ever thought, "hey, we should implement this law against [insert crime here] because it's moral truth."
Then you can imagine how relieved I am to have never said or written something like that.

In fact, just about every nation that has ever existed has eventually broken down morally, including the US.
The problem with that is in failing to recognize this nation is a new thing, a government with peaceful revolution and a tendency toward protecting the individual and reacting to its failures in applying principle. Social orders tend to be less stable and we've seen that in our own history. The roaring 20s were a lot like the 60s. We go through cycles and we have responses built into them. Most nations declined and died because of corruption among the ruling classes, or from a failure to establish a balanced power structure, with protections against abuse by the majority. We have the mechanism to avoid those failures, if we use them.

For the record, my question did not end after laws, it continued on, because I was contrasting the first part of my question with what you suggested we do.
I wasn't entirely sure about that, as it seemed to me that when you have laws of a kind at some point they will inform the kind of system, or can.

Here it is again:

Why not model our laws after the Lawgiver's laws, instead of trying to model them after fallible man's laws?

I then went on to clarify that I was not talking about religious laws, such as "do not eat certain foods," and "do not wear certain fabrics together", etc.
I understood you. It's why I responded as I did and have in clarifying my point above.

So first of all, I agree, history does answer my question. It answers it by showing that man is wicked, and doesn't like morality, thus nations have eschewed God's laws in favor of their own, because it puffs them up. History does not say, "because they (the Lawgiver's laws) do not work."
I don't think that's true, but I understand your perspective on the point.

Second, You went on to say the following:... as if I did not just state, EXPLICITLY, that I'm not talking about religion, but about laws that apply to EVERYONE, regardless of religion.
Well, your point wasn't completely clear in relation to law/governmental form at that point. So, when you talk about the Lawgiver, I understand you to be talking about God. I also know you're speaking from a Christian perspective. When those things start coming together at what point isn't it and how can it be anything other than a religious state? Waiving a hand at "religious laws" doesn't negate where you're aiming or what that must inevitably constitute.

If you want to take the Christian Lawgiver foundation of law to its necessary end that end will be a religious system of law and consequence. Otherwise, you're just saying we should have laws that reflect God's intent, but then those laws had rules associated with them and a system built around those and we're right back to a religious state.

So tell me, Town, Why did you make a strawman that you could easily beat down, instead of responding to what I said, which was about morality, not religion?
I didn't and saying I did isn't illustrating it, no matter how certain you are. Feel free to distinguish what you're looking for, with sufficient particularity that I can see the gears moving, taking a very generally stated idea and setting it out in a particular way. I'd be happy to look at it and how it is or then isn't that very thing (a state religion empowered).

Third, what you just said regarding religion, "It draws the corrupt to use it as a means to power," equally applies to secular governments, especially democracy, in fact, even more so, because it then becomes possible for someone who is corrupt to lord it over his neighbor.
I think that's one reason we built in peaceful revolution, cycles of power and, eventually, limitations on who could participate and for how long. We should consider doing for Congress what we did for the president too, limiting terms.

Yes, power draws the corrupt to it, but nothing is as dispiriting or destructive to man as corruption in a religious power, guarding as it must his hopes and aspirations far beyond the moment, beyond even the lives of the people invested in it. It's hard enough to maintain churches without that same corruption. Look at the problems of hierarchy and power within the Catholic Church and what they're having to fight as a result. Protestants, with that same degree of organization and authority, would do no better.

No, let the church stay separate from the state and with that some real hope it may avoid the pitfalls of power.

Which brings me, once again, back to my worldview, which asks, "Why not model our laws after the Lawgiver's (God's) laws, instead of trying to model them after fallible man's laws,"
And that brings me back to, "Give me the particulars of how that would look and we can talk about what's underneath a fairly unspecific thing.

"why not use the kind of government God chose for His people, rather than what man came up with that God rejected?"
See, that's the very thing I speculated you were after and addressed, so cut out the straw man nonsense. That looks a lot like I had your aim pegged.

(again, nothing about religion, only laws and government)
God's system was religion and government combined and I was right on point then. Saying it's not religion doesn't negate that God didn't establish a secular government for his people.

What makes you think that having a Christian nation (ie, one founded on principles found in the Bible) would take away the freedom to worship and believe and thing as one will"?
We are a nation of Christians already. So you're just being rhetorically coy when you reverse the order and, again, the answer to that is simple: history. Even our own. Early, before the Constitution we had colonies that prescribed religious conduct. We largely fled Europe to repeat the behavior here in smaller doses. Better to have a nation of Christians who protect everyone's right to worship or not as their conscience moves them, with no man standing between God and man to tell you your business in that way, let alone give their understanding the force of law.

Why would having such a nation take away the rights granted by God, the right to Life and Liberty; to Worship, to Free Speech, to Purchase and Use Property; to Purchase, Own, and Carry Individual Defensive Weapons including Firearms; to Protect the Innocent; to Corporally Punish his Children; to Due Process of Law; and to Fail?
We have those and have them without risking the corruption of religion by making it a means to wordly power.

Our nation was founded on Biblical principles (not as many as it should have been, but biblical nonetheless), and religious freedom is (was?) one of the biggest reasons for people to come here from other countries.
Right, freedom from the state prescribing your religious view. We'd had enough wars over exegesis.

Right, and Christians, let alone the world, can JUSTLY condemn such actions as immoral. That doesn't make morality immoral.
Who said morality was immoral? What that history does illustrate is that where the state and religion are mingled you find the sort of lamentable nonsense you found in the ravaging of Europe by Catholic and Protestant disputes over exegesis, again. We condemn that now, from a perspective within which that is no longer possible. It's easier to see it. But install a religious form and you invite the disputes over those issues to assume power as well. Best to not.

And they are being eroded away because of secular government.
I can accept you see it that way, but I don't know how or why without your setting that out in particular.

Moral truth is that murder, adultery, theft, perjury, are all wicked, and should be punished by the government. As Stripe said, our current government has all but legalized all of those crimes.
Oh, well if he said that he's wrong and if you believe it so are you. But if you do believe that you should be able to make the case for it in particular. What I know is that with the exception of adultery none of those have been decriminalized and still stand as laws with consequence.

No, but I've addressed this with Stripe and set out the particulars as to his mistake. You can read that there and if you want to address any part of my answer I'm happy to go over it with you.

"If we do this, we'll have this result, OR we keep doing what we're doing, and we'll have that result."
Well, shoot. Okay, short form. Either we continue as we are or we do something different is logically necessary. The same actions, the status quo, will yield the same result. Now, if we do something else there are a number of models that are available and differing, though uniform in that they do a better job than our status quo.

That's a false dichotomy, because we can do "something else" and have "the other" result.
It isn't. A false dichotomy says there are only two things we can do when there are other options. It is not a false dichotomy to say a light switch can be turned to the on position or the off position (that would be the different or same part of my proffer) and it is not presenting a this or that to note that we have numerous options to produce a desired result, which I also did.

Namely, "if we implement Godly laws, and a Godly government, instead of trying to make up more laws based on man's wisdom, we won't have the problems we have now."
That would be under the "doing something different" approach. And I've addressed this more than once, along with a couple of other impractical to the point of improbable suggestions (see: changing man's nature) that in sum are a bit like that boulder blocking the tunnel.

Would it have been a meaningful option for Christians in Germany during WWII to oppose the killing of millions of Jews by the Germans?
It was a moral imperative, I'd think. How does that apply to your current proffer?

Was it a meaningful option for Christians to oppose slavery in the 18th and 19th century, to bring an end to it?
Supra.

How much more so for Christians to want a nation that follows God's laws for man? To want a Godly government?
Which laws in what way? Because, frankly, we have a lot of disagreement about what men are subject to today and what they aren't and I'm betting that you think your understanding is the one that should be in play. And we're right back to the beginnings of what we instituted a secular government to guard against--men literally fighting for the best of reasons, to the cost of everyone.

With that attitude, it never will happen.
With any attitude it's extraordinarily unlikely to come close to happening and for a number of easily understood reasons, many of which you can glean from watching Christians arguing with one another, let alone the rest.

So, if the idea is to stop a horrible, needless thing from happening (and that's my and most people speaking to mass shootings these days) I'm going to consider things that don't involve changing human nature or our essential form of government first. And luckily, it happens that there are a number of models not requiring that sort of near miraculous upheaval at hand. We've even done some of it before and the principle is in play legally, as things sit.

Maybe you've heard the expression, "where there's a will, there's a way"?
And there isn't anything like that will in anything like the numbers you'd need to alter our system of laws fundamentally. There isn't even a will to reconstitute the 2nd Amendment, as moved to change its expression as many Americans are today.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ― Edmund Burke
"Most of the evil in the world is done by people with good intentions." T.S. Eliot

Not at all.
In rhetorical parlance, when someone says, "By way of example, you may feel that..." the you is being used generally and it isn't being suggested that the person being spoken to holds the opinion, only that an example is being given illustrating a weakness or problem in the other person's proffer and principle.

Was ending slavery "unrealistic"?
No, it was inevitable given the coming industrial revolution and the impracticality of slavery as an institution when it arrived in full, along with the moral precept we'd established as a people and then ignored in application, one that caused a growing (and inherent) dissonance within the culture, held together as acceptable by bigotry and financial necessity or profit (by both the user/owner of slaves and the free man who profited directly and indirectly without owning slaves--see: Molasses to Rum, to Slaves).

Was stopping the Germans from murdering more Jews "unrealistic"?
That wasn't really the proposition. And given the bigotry that attached to Jews at that time as a singular issue the answer would probably have been, "Yes."

Of course not, but they shouldn't be proffered as solutions to immediate problems either. Because when they are they remain de facto endorsements for the unacceptable status quo.

So, your house is on fire. You may have a great idea for instituting any number of changes, some of which are for the foreseeable future beyond your economic means, that in sum would address and greatly impact the likelihood of that problem recurring. And more power to you in saving the coins and making the spending changes necessary, if you can manage it. In the meantime, your house is on fire. I have a couple of quick ways that have been demonstrated as being effective at putting that out.

The situation we're in is that our system, a mineshaft of laws and government, is on the brink of collapse, and has already flooded in some places, killing millions, and collapsed in other places, imprisoning millions more under all the legal rubble. Better to save the people trapped inside and abandon it and find a new site, and to start mining using better laws and a better system.
I know you believe that, but that's all it really is, your belief. I don't believe that people are dying due to assault rifles, I know they are. And I don't believe we can make them safer, I can demonstrate that we can.

Our government and legal system are old garments. Let's not try to patch them with new fabric, but let's rather put on new garments that don't ever wear down.
We have the newest garments in town, tailored by observing the old mistakes of weavers over generations. And we built into the weaving process a ready way to alter it, to adjust it when necessary to improve it. Pretending that old garments, those that failed us sufficiently that they led us to seek new ones, is the answer is nostalgic, but mistaken. God gave us kings when kings were the best means to move primitive societies and establish what could be established in justice. And He gave us republics too.

You don't build bridges over mountains. On them, sure, but over them?
Kind of the point. Nearly it.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They shouldn't be proffered as solutions to immediate problems either. Because when they are they remain de facto endorsements for the unacceptable status quo.

Nope. They are the only useful and effective solutions.

They're called law and justice.

You spend all your time pretending that your regulations are better.

So, your house is on fire.
And you want flame throwers banned.

We want the arsonist punished appropriately as a deterrent.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nope. They are the only useful and effective solutions.
No, for the reasons offered prior and which remain, by argument, unrebutted.

They're called law and justice.
You spend all your time pretending that your regulations are better.
Not even in the zip code of the ballpark. So that was funny. Thanks. :)

And you want flame throwers banned.
I want intelligent gun laws that actually make us safer.

We want the arsonist punished appropriately as a deterrent.
Everyone wants an arsonist punished appropriately.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, for the reasons offered prior and which remain, by argument, unrebutted.

Except for all the arguments rebutting them. :rolleyes:

I want intelligent gun laws that actually make us safer.
Ask Siri. :idunno:

We want liberty and justice, and God's law for man. Guns don't have a good track record of hearing things.

Everyone wants an arsonist punished appropriately.
Not everyone thinks that banning McDonald's is the answer.

Last edited:

Dan Emanuel

Execution - swift, public
and painful

The current system of "punishment" is obviously no deterrent
Unfortunately the global data on the matter show's no relationship between the death penalty being legal or being illegal, on the murder rate's in country's. I wanted to see the relationship, but its not they're. Would that it were, but its just not true that the death penalty deter's more than not having the death penalty, with regard to the murder rate in countrie's.

It is absolutely justified though to have the death penalty to be the last resort for protecting innocent people from murderer's or other capital criminal's. If they still pose a threat even from behind prison bar's, or the wall's of other institution's, then the death penalty is reasonable and even more importantly moral.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Except for all the arguments recurring them. :rolleyes:
Say what? I think you meant then instead of them. And then maybe you meant to argue, didn't, then thought you had.

Ask Siri.
It's a statement of principle, not an inquiry.

We want liberty and justice,
Bless you, move here where we already have them.

and God's law fit man.
Say what? Are you in too big a hurry or too big a huff?

Guns don't have a good track record of hearing things.
Neither do some people.

Not everyone thinks that banning McDonald's is the answer.
Me either. I don't even think they have a weapons policy. :plain:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Unfortunately the global data on the matter show's no relationship between the death penalty being legal or being illegal, on the murder rate's in country's. I wanted to see the relationship, but its not they're. Would that it were, but its just not true that the death penalty deter's more than not having the death penalty, with regard to the murder rate in countrie's.

It is absolutely justified though to have the death penalty to be the last resort for protecting innocent people from murderer's or other capital criminal's. If they still pose a threat even from behind prison bar's, or the wall's of other institution's, then the death penalty is reasonable and even more importantly moral.
You may want to check out https://kgov.com/death-penalty.

Dan Emanuel

We have the newest garments in town, tailored by observing the old mistakes of weavers over generations. And we built into the weaving process a ready way to alter it, to adjust it when necessary to improve it. Pretending that old garments, those that failed us sufficiently that they led us to seek new ones, is the answer is nostalgic, but mistaken. God gave us kings when kings were the best means to move primitive societies and establish what could be established in justice. And He gave us republics too.
We're closer that one might think. We disagree on what the right to bear arm's is. If I did not believe in it the way that I do, then we would be in close to full apparent agreement, and the same goe's for if you believed the right is what I believe that it is. All the legal history of our race must be irrelevant wherever it suggest's that at the time of our greatest mortal need, that we are in some way criminal's when we wield Any weapon in our defense. Thats something that transcend's any legal tradition, no matter how long, and our legal practice must be formed by analyse's like this. And in the US thats exactly what we can do, if we can gather our political will to do it and amend the Constitution. Judge's can't be permitted to create fresh law through our negligence in doing our duty to revise our supreme law, whenever a plain gap appear's between it's stone's that has to be filled up with mortar made by the will of We the People.

Dan Emanuel

No. Did you look through that article?
Yeah.

Why? Do you want to kill me?

That was something John W used to do to user's, he'd lay into them and into they're view, and he'd slap them with scripture's until they couldn't stand up anymore as biblical inerrentist's or bible believer's or whatever they thought they were, before they ran into John W. He'd set em straight, and they'd either yield to the Scripture (not to John W---he never looked for that, he always demanded obeisance to the Scripture, not to himself), or they had to go on marked by him as not a Bible believer at all.

Thats not what I mean in asking it; I just wonder if you want to kill me.

You aren't a classical liberal at all. I think the reason you believe in the right to bear arm's as I see it, is because you think that classical liberalism is inferior to you're own personal brand of theocracy. I don't agree with that or with you, on anything else except that gun control is wickedness. I just think that you think its wickedness for the wrong reason, which mean's I'm even more in the minority than I first imagined.

Its for time's like this, that right's become important, and classical liberalism is a philosophy dominated completely with right's, and with they're defense, and classical liberalism target's precisely people who think that there religious view's ought to inform law making, even past the point of stealing right's from innocent people who commit no crime's.

They're are 'malum prohibitum' act's, and 'malum in se' act's: 'Bad 'cause its 'against the law,' and bad 'cause its evil or wicked in and of itself. Gun control is artificially converting act's that are Not evil or wickedness, into 'malum prohibitum' crime's. Crime's authorize government to use force. If the crime's are only crime's because a law say's so, but not because its evil or wicked by nature, then the law's that create those crime's are wicked and evil by there nature. Those law's are 'malum in se.'

If you believed in the right to bear arm's like me, you'd think more like this. I wish that you would.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Yeah.

Why? Do you want to kill me?

. . .

Thats not what I mean in asking it; I just wonder if you want to kill me.

Is there any particular reason you think I would?

. . .

That was something John W used to do to user's, he'd lay into them and into they're view, and he'd slap them with scripture's until they couldn't stand up anymore as biblical inerrentist's or bible believer's or whatever they thought they were, before they ran into John W. He'd set em straight, and they'd either yield to the Scripture (not to John W---he never looked for that, he always demanded obeisance to the Scripture, not to himself), or they had to go on marked by him as not a Bible believer at all.

. . .

I miss John W. Whatever happened to him?

You aren't a classical liberal at all.

I'm not a liberal, period.

I'm a conservative.

I think the reason you believe in the right to bear arm's as I see it,

Are you sure you're responding to the right person?

I believe the right to purchase, own, and carry personal defense weapons, including firearms, is God-given, not government given.

is because you think that classical liberalism is inferior to you're own personal brand of theocracy.

I don't advocate for theocracy.

I don't agree with that or with you, on anything else except that gun control is wickedness.

Proper gun control is a steady hand and good aim, but I don't think that gun control (the more common definition of laws that restrict gun use) is wickedness, or that it's, inherently evil, just that it's inane.

I just think that you think its wickedness for the wrong reason, which mean's I'm even more in the minority than I first imagined.

See above.

Its for time's like this, that right's become important, and classical liberalism is a philosophy dominated completely with right's, and with they're defense, and classical liberalism target's precisely people who think that there religious view's ought to inform law making, even past the point of stealing right's from innocent people who commit no crime's.

If God exists (and He does), then His laws are the best man can get. Man's laws are vastly inferior to His laws. And no, I'm not talking about religious laws, I mean laws against murder, theft, adultery, and perjury.

They're are 'malum prohibitum' act's, and 'malum in se' act's: 'Bad 'cause its 'against the law,' and bad 'cause its evil or wicked in and of itself. Gun control is artificially converting act's that are Not evil or wickedness, into 'malum prohibitum' crime's. Crime's authorize government to use force. If the crime's are only crime's because a law say's so, but not because its evil or wicked by nature, then the law's that create those crime's are wicked and evil by there nature. Those law's are 'malum in se.'

Huh?

English please.

If you believed in the right to bear arm's like me, you'd think more like this. I wish that you would.

I believe in the God-given right to purchase, own, and carry personal defence weapons.

Again, are you sure you're responding to the right person?

Gary K

Banned

You are using a logical fallacy in your thinking. You're conflating the existence of a law with it being enforced. Take a look at the reality of how many people are being executed. What percentage of convicted murderers actually get put to death? That's what you want to look for. If you see the numbers saying that a murderer faces a better chance of not being executed than executed the percentages are such that the punishment is executed so infrequently that the threat of execution is meaningless.

If someone faces maybe a 2% chance of execution vs a 98% chance of not being executed just how much deterrence is that? It is saying that there are 98 chances of a hundred you will not be executed. Very few people would find those kinds of odds against being executed very scary. If I have a 98% chance of winning something I am pretty confident I will win. That's how a criminal thinks. He looks at the odds of conviction and then the odds of being executed on top of that and he thinks he's going to be one of 98% of those who live, not one of the 2% who die.

You want to see the deterrent effect? Let's see 98% of those convicted be executed. Let the threat of execution be very high and then you will see the deterrence.

Dan Emanuel

Huh?

English please.
Theirs no briefer way to put it.

Malum in se. Evil as such, or as is, or in and of itself. Prima facie evil. Obviously, objectively, widely agreed to be evil.

Malum prohibitum. "Wrong" because 'we say so.' "It's against the law" only. They'res no victim. The only person your hurting is you're self. You forgot to check a box. All those sort's of thing's are malum prohibitum.

If you tear off someones arm, unprovoked, thats malum in se. If your ordered to tear off someones arm unprovoked, and you disobey that order, thats malum prohibitum.

One of thems wrong because its wrong, and the other is like "a technicality," but your still going to jail either way.

Gun control is 100%, making act's that are not malum in se, against the law malum prohibitum. Meaning your going to jail if you don't obey gun control law's, just like if you actually committed a malum in se crime with you're weapon.

And thats why gun control law's themselve's are malum in se. There evil.

Gary K

Banned
I'm not a liberal, period.

I'm a conservative.

A classical liberal from the days of John Stuart Mills and Adam Smith back in the 1700's and 1800's would be considered a conservative today. The classical liberal was for liberty, the smallest amount of government intrusion into the lives of it's citizens, as little government interference in business as possible(only in cases of fraud, robbery, etc...).

The term liberal has been hijacked and turned into something it was never meant to be.

Dan Emanuel

A classical liberal from the days of John Stuart Mills and Adam Smith back in the 1700's and 1800's would be considered a conservative today. The classical liberal was for liberty, the smallest amount of government intrusion into the lives of it's citizens, as little government interference in business as possible(only in cases of fraud, robbery, etc...).

The term liberal has been hijacked and turned into something it was never meant to be.
Classical liberalism from back then is divided in three today. Republican's, Democrat's, and libertarian's each retain distinctive bit's of it. "Land of liberty" was shorthand for land of classical liberalism.