Why Don't the Liberals Want a Wall?

fool

Hall of Fame
The great wall of China is essentially an elevated road or a "highway", to say it didn't work is extremely ignorant.

This fits with the history as I've heard it so far. The Great Wall did serve some benefit in that it prevented random spot raids into the Chinese farmlands that were ruining the productivity of many villages along the border. But serious efforts to invade the country simply went around it (it was not a complete wall along the whole border) or more frequently just bribed a gatekeeper to open the gates for them. And as you observe, once they were in the gatehouse, the road on top became available to them.

I think the solution may lie somewhere in between an elevated fortified highway and Good Old Boys Trail Cam.

fool

Hall of Fame
Liberals don't want a wall because it's only real point is just to be a monument to fear or prejudice. It's not going to solve the problem of illegals coming in, you have to shut off some major valves in your brain to figure illegals aren't going to get over it just because it's newer and taller- people that travel through desert and hop rivers are going to get through and because you can't competently supervise 2000 miles it'll be of little more effort to succeed.
Do you think we should make it a little more effort than just walking across where there's zero infrastructure?
Do you think our southern border deserves a non-zero level of infrastructure?

Crucifer

BANNED
Banned
Do you think we should make it a little more effort than just walking across where there's zero infrastructure?

I think an entirely different course of action needs to be taken altogether.
Right now all I see are 'wall apologetics'- trying to support something that should've never been such a paramount concern in the first place.
First it was going to be this magical fortress wall, then it became something a little less, and now it's little more then a refurbish.
Why even worry about it at this point; the solution has always been to do something with Mexico in general not try to have lazy solutions perpetuated by fear.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I think an entirely different course of action needs to be taken altogether.
Right now all I see are 'wall apologetics'- trying to support something that should've never been such a paramount concern in the first place.
First it was going to be this magical fortress wall, then it became something a little less, and now it's little more then a refurbish.
Why even worry about it at this point; the solution has always been to do something with Mexico in general not try to have lazy solutions perpetuated by fear.

ok, what's your suggestion for how to secure the border?

Crucifer

BANNED
Banned
nuclear strike?

annexation?

enslavement?

>Getting their country on a better track
>Diplomacy
>Cooperation

They are our neighbors. Why are you trying to shut them off or treat them like some enemy?
If you put half the effort into the West as you do out in the East, you might actually find yourself living up to the notion of 'America first'.
600 billion a year into a military and you can't deal with a country that matters the most in America's place in the world?
Then give me my money back.

ok doser

>Getting their country on a better track

what does that mean, both in terms of hoped for outcomes and possible interventions that we might facilitate?

>Diplomacy

i believe we already have diplomatic relations with Mexico

did you have something else in mind?

>Cooperation

in what way?

you do realize that they're our third largest trading partner, ahead of Japan, Germany, united kingdom...

They are our neighbors.

so is canada

Why are you trying to shut them off or treat them like some enemy?

because their border is porous and around 300,000 people crossed it illegally last year

if the same thing was happening from canada, we'd want to tighten up that border too

If you put half the effort into the West as you do out in the East, you might actually find yourself living up to the notion of 'America first'.
600 billion a year into a military and you can't deal with a country that matters the most in America's place in the world?

first of all, Mexico doesn't matter "the most in America's place in the world" - it's a ridiculous statement to make

secondly, the effort we put into the "East" ( i assume you mean the middle east) is not the same kind of effort that would be welcomed in Mexico - wars, occupations, regime changes, etc

JPPT1974

A lot is because they do not like Trump. And they are more for the immigrants. But what about the US troops. They fought and defended our country and world. They are the ones who need to be taken care of.
If the immigrants want to come into our country my advice, become a US citizen.

Crucifer

BANNED
Banned
first of all, Mexico doesn't matter "the most in America's place in the world" - it's a ridiculous statement to make

secondly, the effort we put into the "East" ( i assume you mean the middle east) is not the same kind of effort that would be welcomed in Mexico - wars, occupations, regime changes, etc

Mexico is our bordering country and the connection between us and an entire continent. It's very important to do more with it. It matters far more than anything across an ocean. If it's 'America first' than why are you trying to spend so much time with securing Israel or helping Europe?

Instead you just want to mess with all that and put up a border wall, which will not be very effective, hoping that immigrants will just stop coming in.
These are people in poverty- they're not going to stop unless you improve their conditions and get Mexico back on track. Once that happens, Mexico can help keep maintain migrants and populations.

It doesn't matter how impossible you want to try and make that seem, that's the only solution and simply obsessing over a border wall just makes America look insecure and scared.
Not really good PR for the supposed 'greatest country in the world'.

Supremum

they're already ranked 13th globally, in terms of gdp

They're 91st in GDP per capita. Recently remittances from the US overtook the oil industry as their largest source of income.
Do you think the cartel phenomenon is something unique historically?

ok doser

i'll come back to the rest of it, but wanted to respond to this now:
If it's 'America first' than why are you trying to spend so much time with securing Israel or helping Europe?

israel is strategically important and will remain so as long as we are a carbon fuel based global economy

europe, besides being our largest trading partner (depending on how you measure that), is/was an important buffer against the spread of communism and whatever else might come out of russia

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

Under Obama, the border patrol turned back a record number of crossing attempts in areas with "zero infrastructure."

Turns out, you can do a lot if you don't obsess about a wall. Border Patrol has been doing it for years.

Might be good to ask them about it.

ok doser