Black lives matter: heroes, victims, and answer to the BLM

Lon

From a friend of mine elsewhere on the topic of PC speech and whether, as another friend suggested, it was a call for censorship:

"It's not the words that are politically incorrect [that is the problem] it's the implied meaning they are given when used in a certain context. For example, if someone says, "Black lives matter," and another person responds with, "All lives matter," they are using that phrase to diminish the first statement [and not to uplift the larger group]. It's not calling for censorship, it's calling for decency." John Michael Daw
True, but... It also is stated specifically against cops AND some of it has caused a backlash against them in lost lives. Words do things. As much as I believe Black lives matter, I truly believe that Blue lives matter (and white for that matter).

While I sympathize.... the 'way' rather than the actual message was the problem behind this particular sentiment. In addition, there were a couple of other shootings by police in mistaken identity such that 'white lives matter too' is appropriate. In among the problem shootings, as this OP states, there were some lives that mattered, but were hazardously placed in harm's way by bad (illegal) choices.

I believe we've fostered a 'military' mindset in the police force in recent years. This in itself creates problems where 'protect and serve,' I think did a better job.

Inherently, anything that singles us out, however, can and does more often 'separate' and cause harder feelings. We've talked about this before. I've talked with 3 people of color (all kinds, not white) this week. All of them expressed a problem in the South so I realize we have separate realities. The black man next door to my mom was talking about the 'color' walls as nonexistent with my mother.

I've grown up trying to be colorblind so "BLM" is a bit against that attempt and actually causes a different kind of problem. I YET think 'colorblind' is the answer and that we proceed defending unjust causes case by case.

I watched a PBS show Finding My Roots and was frustrated that people were dragged into 'slavery' history of their family members and then asked "How does that make you feel?" Some of this goes beyond 'what is hurting you' and goes into 'what you should be politically outraged about.'

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
True, but... It also is stated specifically against cops
No, it's a cry over the treatment of blacks by too many who are charged with the preservation of the right.

AND some of it has caused a backlash against them in lost lives. Words do things. As much as I believe Black lives matter, I truly believe that Blue lives matter (and white for that matter).
Black is a race. Blue is an occupation. You can take off a uniform, you live with your race.

While I sympathize.... the 'way' rather than the actual message was the problem behind this particular sentiment. In addition, there were a couple of other shootings by police in mistaken identity such that 'white lives matter too' is appropriate.
You don't have to say white lives matter because it's a given to the dominant, white culture. It's like asking why there isn't a white version of BET. There is, it's largely called television.

In among the problem shootings, as this OP states, there were some lives that mattered, but were hazardously placed in harm's way by bad (illegal) choices.

I believe we've fostered a 'military' mindset in the police force in recent years. This in itself creates problems where 'protect and serve,' I think did a better job.
The history of police interactions with black Americans doesn't speak highly for either justice or the police, but the conversation that's happening and the elevation of minorities to key positions in more and more police forces should be helpful.

Lon

No, it's a cry over the treatment of blacks by too many who are charged with the preservation of the right.

Black is a race. Blue is an occupation. You can take off a uniform, you live with your race.
Not if you die in it?

You don't have to say white lives matter because it's a given to the dominant, white culture. It's like asking why there isn't a white version of BET. There is, it's largely called television.
I'd brought that up in a different thread, as I remember. I didn't ask why we didn't have white television, but was saying that 'if' one group can have an all black station, there shouldn't be a problem with an all-white one either. We aren't as colorblind when I have to say white or black in conversation. Having had this conversation with you a few times now, I'm convinced we treat 'black' better in the NW. I also have a mother who I believe is truly colorblind. We had friends of all colors growing up.

The history of police interactions with black Americans doesn't speak highly for either justice or the police, but the conversation that's happening and the elevation of minorities to key positions in more and more police forces should be helpful.
I very much wanted Dr. Ben Carson in office, not because of his color, but because he's a decent intelligent, capable man.

"It's not the words that are politically incorrect [that is the problem] it's the implied meaning they are given when used in a certain context. For example, if someone says, "Black lives matter," and another person responds with, "All lives matter," they are using that phrase to diminish the first statement [and not to uplift the larger group]. It's not calling for censorship, it's calling for decency." John Michael Daw
To bring to attention, well and fine. To permanently separate one people from another? :nono: It is simply drawing a line in the sand, either initially, or otherwise keeping the fighting continuing forever (like the PBS link I added in my last post while editing - unfortunately after your response). I'm yet convinced, the answer to all problems isn't political or resolved in a courtroom. Love, truce, peace is the only long-term solution. Black Lives Matter needs to rather become "No more police militant brutality." On the street, we also have to address meeting the needs of the community that has the highest rate of crimes, whatever their color may be and in a manner that isn't lethal.

My sister-in-law is a cop, I'll have to ask her why bean-bag guns, tasers, and tranquilizer darts (non lethal force) aren't used more often. In Seattle, I remember a disturbed man (not mentioning his color one way or the other), held them at bay with a sword. They used a fire hydrant and waited until he was sufficiently doused and out of breath and peaceably put him in a squad car. Not sure if threads like that on TOL would help, but maybe.... In Him -Lon

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I very much wanted Dr. Ben Carson in office, not because of his color, but because he's a decent intelligent, capable man.

i felt the same, as well as being impressed that he was a man of great accomplishments in a field that I respect - certainly more so than those candidates that came from backgrounds of business or government

and as far as "black lives matter" goes?

it's a lie

black lives don't matter squat

black votes matter

if black lives mattered, black leaders would react to the epidemic of black on black murders

Reactions: Lon

Lon

i felt the same, as well as being impressed that he was a man of great accomplishments in a field that I respect - certainly more so than those candidates that came from backgrounds of business or government

and as far as "black lives matter" goes?

it's a lie

black lives don't matter squat

black votes matter

if black lives mattered, black leaders would react to the epidemic of black on black murders

On a spiritual note, I'd understood Genesis 11:6-9 as God's doing. However several made a good point while I was growing up, that such was specifically against the specific project and the purpose of that project. That said, I'd always wondered why the scattering wouldn't have been enough. Faith/Christ can help us overcome adversity in and for all the right reasons. Race for the unspiritual, will always lead to friction (if I'm reading scripture correctly).

That is why, in Christ, there is none but one people of God. No male. No female. No Jew. No different color.

Can politics affect the tension? I'm not convinced. I'm pretty sure race and language (superficial) is what keeps things from going bad to worse, however. God had done this for this reason, in Genesis 11 at the Tower of Babel.

This separation doesn't apply to Christians but I think despite the good intentions of a good many, it cannot be overcome politically lest as Genesis 11 says "there be nothing they cannot do" when the need of every being on the planet is salvation in Christ alone. I believe it is one way the gospel is able to penetrate and find all peoples.

I'm all for any plan that ensures that that avenue is open through political means, but I have never really believed in 'neutrality.' We are certainly worse as a nation for caving to atheist demands. Anything done by force cannot change hearts and will thus cause further tension where it seems the dam will break. We are actually seeing that played out in the media, at least as far as my discerning eyes are witnessing, if not in every provable statistic.

God has clearly given us consequences we can expect with any given action. We should look for those consequences to occur. Some of them are further down the road and so I spend time with my children pointing out what kind of world they are inheriting from us and what types of situations and consequences will need to be addressed.

I've no friends who have been harmed by the police so I'm a bit out of the loop of conversation other than specifically knowing that any 'push' has a an equal 'back push' by dynamics and thus I'm looking for the shock wave damage of any particular and importantly 'separating' push. To me, that is the biblical indication of Genesis 11 -Lon

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
True, but... It also is stated specifically against cops AND some of it has caused a backlash against them in lost lives. Words do things. As much as I believe Black lives matter, I truly believe that Blue lives matter (and white for that matter).

While I sympathize.... the 'way' rather than the actual message was the problem behind this particular sentiment. In addition, there were a couple of other shootings by police in mistaken identity such that 'white lives matter too' is appropriate. In among the problem shootings, as this OP states, there were some lives that mattered, but were hazardously placed in harm's way by bad (illegal) choices.

Inherently, anything that singles us out, however, can and does more often 'separate' and cause harder feelings. We've talked about this before. I've talked with 3 people of color (all kinds, not white) this week. All of them expressed a problem in the South so I realize we have separate realities. The black man next door to my mom was talking about the 'color' walls as nonexistent with my mother.

I've grown up trying to be colorblind so "BLM" is a bit against that attempt and actually causes a different kind of problem. I YET think 'colorblind' is the answer and that we proceed defending unjust causes case by case.

I watched a PBS show Finding My Roots and was frustrated that people were dragged into 'slavery' history of their family members and then asked "How does that make you feel?" Some of this goes beyond 'what is hurting you' and goes into 'what you should be politically outraged about.'

as it turns out, in confrontational situations where police use force against civilians, they are more apt to respond harshly when dealing with whites than when dealing with blacks

but that fact goes contrary to the narrative the race-baiters prefer

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
For years now the #blacklivesmatter organization has trotted out "#heroes" and "#victims"as examples of #police #brutality against black people. But is their narrative #trustworthy and #true? Are the circumstances surrounding these individuals evidence to make them into heroes or just plain thugs?

https://soundcloud.com/freedomsfort...t-2-the-heroes-victoms-and-answers-to-the-blm

Bill O'Reilly pointed out the statistic many, many times that this false narratives that police go after blacks is hogwash.

Furthermore, BLM preaches racism and even preaches shooting police. They are a terrorist organization.

Lon

But it's a choice to put it on, assuming the risk, understanding it's an inherently dangerous job. Being a minority shouldn't be any of those things, inherently.

:cheers:
Agree. To be clear black lives matter. It is rather, Black Lives Matter that put these officers dead in backlash. I think at times, in our conversations there is a confusion between what I agree with and what I don't. Usually, the reason for the demonstration I agree with. It is rather the demonstration and the way it plays out that I believe is a pendulum swing. It is the stuff of wars, however large or small and I've always hated war.

Lon

When They See Us – Netflix's gut-wrenching tale of the Central Park Five

Ava DuVernay pulls no punches in this urgent, astonishing retelling of an assault case that opened a window on injustice in America

They are all millionaires. Hope it helps with their healing. They each want another ten million, not sure if they'll get it.

It is part of it mattering what blacks go through. Rather it is BLM as an action that has led to the death of officers that is troubling to me.

2009 before BLM protests. Maurice Clemmons had been in trouble with the law in the South, but he shot and killed four officers in Lakewood, WA who he had never met. It was an attack on just 'police' for being police. I've had a jerk cop or two pull me over (one for not having my lights on at dusk, another for what he called a 'rolling stop' :nono:). I'd never think about attacking another police officer for what a totally different officer had done. It is still my contention that police need to be brought back to 'protect and serving' our society instead of 'warring' on drugs and otherwise taking on military actions.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
They are all millionaires.
I wonder which you'd rather have were you in their place, the money, or a life without what made that possible. I'd rather the latter.

It is part of it mattering what blacks go through.
Some of it is hard if not impossible to really get from the outside, I'd imagine.

Rather it is BLM as an action that has led to the death of officers that is troubling to me.
I don't believe that it did any more than I blame sheets for what the Klan does with them.

2009 before BLM protests. Maurice Clemmons had been in trouble with the law in the South, but he shot and killed four officers in Lakewood, WA who he had never met. It was an attack on just 'police' for being police.
I'm surprised there wasn't a lot of that in the South, given the history here.

I've had a jerk cop or two pull me over (one for not having my lights on at dusk, another for what he called a 'rolling stop' :nono:). I'd never think about attacking another police officer for what a totally different officer had done.
With respect Lon, that trivializes the root of what actually does lead some to snap, to be so filled with contempt and frustration and anger that they become a reflection of what they hate.

It is still my contention that police need to be brought back to 'protect and serving' our society instead of 'warring' on drugs and otherwise taking on military actions.
The war on drugs was a lost one. There are better ways to address it.

Lon

I wonder which you'd rather have were you in their place, the money, or a life without what made that possible. I'd rather the latter.
Yeah, that one was a tough one for me. If someone told me, stay in this room for 8 years, one million for each year, I think I could do that kind of time. The abuse thrown in with it? Probably not. That's why I'm sympathetic. I hope they get the 10M more each they are looking for.

Some of it is hard if not impossible to really get from the outside, I'd imagine.
Except when its your friend, and you feel you are with them in it. It isn't the long-term, but I only saw it in Texas. In Washington State, there is a slight tension, but it is, from what they all have told me, incredibly better. I hope its true.

II don't believe that it did any more than I blame sheets for what the Klan does with them.
There was immediate retaliation. What would the Klan do if there was nothing but orange sheets available? :think:

II'm surprised there wasn't a lot of that in the South, given the history here.
His action was prejudice as well. Hate does that, both ways. It makes for wars.

IWith respect Lon, that trivializes the root of what actually does lead some to snap, to be so filled with contempt and frustration and anger that they become a reflection of what they hate.
In Nikolai's thread about bitterness, we are discussing Job. For Job, it was bitter but the Apostle Paul went through imprisonment reminding the church to 'rejoice' in all circumstances. What we go through will bring out retribution or grace. Discussion like this reminds me that we need to reflect our Savior, and truly "but for grace, there go I." The message then is that crucibles bring out what is already inside of people. I'm at least familiar with the problem of poverty and how it 'locks' one in. In my case, an education truly was what helped. I'm extremely glad you are doing your part and thank God for your success on that point.

IThe war on drugs was a lost one. There are better ways to address it.
Same page. :e4e:

Lon

Of course not, just as there was never a call for White Entertainment Television
This, imho, is quite different. The movement vs. the sentiment. We cannot have a White Entertainment network, perhaps when we are the smaller group? This is exactly the problem with favoring a group strictly based on their skin color. It is a double-sided knife specifically because their are difference. Differences require concessions, on both sides of a difference that cannot be shared.

Black Live Matter, in Evergreen College, had professors and students who were white, forcibly removed from the school campus by violence. Of course I'm against that. As a response, 'All lives matter' was more than an appropriate response, and not again, as your friend believes, merely a removal of a sentiment favoring one group. One issue, cannot be entertained without also recognizing the problem as well, and again, "All" means "no you cannot have my house because some white guys long ago bought your relatives as slaves, I had to work hard for my home." There was a point where 'all lives' needed to be said.

You weren't endorsing censorship, you couldn't be more clear.

I was remarking on how "all lives matter" wasn't a thing until "Black lives matter" came into being. I guess it sounded scary to certain Whites who had to look around real quick for some kind of protection from the scary idea.
I believe the lines between lives mattering, and political movements get blurred and a lot on TOL. It must constantly be addressed. As I've said, police were killed. "White" people were abused. If I say something, it is certainly not to diminish the value of any particular people by some association, but rather the sentiment that allows one group to abuse another in the name of a movement. Huge difference.

or less diversity in film. Most of these people appear to be voicing the resentment of a comfortable majority having to put up with a suddenly vocal minority they once only had to consider when they could assume a vaguely messianic role
I've been with them when they were suffering injustice. Prayer and love are incredibly better responses rather than approval stamps for anything goes. It simply must be addressed or you look complicit, like telling a cop he can leave the force, he has a choice. It would be equally crass, at least as I see it, to remove Memorial Day and Veteran's and Armed Service simply because "it was their choice." I'm not sure I get this part of what you mean. It doesn't add up to where I can appreciate or make sense of it. It has always been my impression from friends and family in corrections, that most do so as a sacrifice, not just a job. :idunno:

You hear worse resentment aimed at minority members who do it from a position of wealth and power, reminding many that they've been lapped in the previously determined oval of social order.

These always come as a bit of a shock. I yet have to remember that where you live seems incredibly different from where I live.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This, imho, is quite different. The movement vs. the sentiment. We cannot have a White Entertainment network, perhaps when we are the smaller group?
:idunno: The history will be so different. In short, our race was horrible as dominant cultures go, to minorities. We were horrible even to white people who were sufficiently outside the WASP norm for as long as we could manage it. Eventually we got better, with a great deal of help. I doubt we'll find ourselves in a similar position, because ours wasn't so much about numbers as the power that came with it and what we did with it, and failed to do.

This is exactly the problem with favoring a group strictly based on their skin color. It is a double-sided knife specifically because their are difference. Differences require concessions, on both sides of a difference that cannot be shared. Blue Live Matter, in Evergreen College, had professors and students who were white, forcibly removed from the school campus. Of course I'm against that. As a response, 'All lives matter' was more than an appropriate response, and not again, as your friend believes.
Mostly he has it right. Outliers are only useful in illustrating the absence of absolutes where human motivation is concerned, but rules remain and their utility is even more important.

I've been with them when they were suffering injustice. Prayer and love are incredibly better responses rather than approval stamps for anything goes.
I don't believe many are stamping in that direction. Look, if a team wins a championship in this country some people riot. You'll have that element in any movement. In the case of BLM, where the foundation is about justice, mistreatment and violence experienced by minorities at the hands of the instrument that is supposed to protect and serve them...

It simply must be addressed or you look complicit, like telling a cop he can leave the force, he has a choice. It would be equally crass, at least as I see it, to remove Memorial Day and Veteran's and Armed Service simply because "it was their choice." I'm not sure I get this part of what you mean.
You'll have to point me to it. I have a lot of conversations in various places and that phrase while familiar wasn't in the quote that preceded it.

It doesn't add up to where I can appreciate or make sense of it. It has always been my impression from friends and family in corrections, that most do so as a sacrifice, not just a job. :idunno:

These always come as a bit of a shock. I yet have to remember that where you live seems incredibly different from where I live.
I actually think the South is doing better these days than a good bit of the country. And the resentment I was speaking to was a loudly heard in the heartland as it was anywhere else. And the complaints of the BLM movement are heard and founded in conduct you can look at across the nation.

Lon

:idunno: The history will be so different. In short, our race was horrible as dominant cultures go, to minorities. We were horrible even to white people who were sufficiently outside the WASP norm for as long as we could manage it. Eventually we got better, with a great deal of help. I doubt we'll find ourselves in a similar position, because ours wasn't so much about numbers as the power that came with it and what we did with it, and failed to do.
With revisionist history, I'm ever skeptical of any one part. It seems to me we had a Wild West, then just a West. While I might want to apologize to somebody, it really wasn't you or me or the guy next door. What will indeed help, is help and help with mind changes. I believe the gospel has been and will continue to be the most powerful world-changer.

Mostly he has it right. Outliers are only useful in illustrating the absence of absolutes where human motivation is concerned, but rules remain and their utility is even more important.
Again, it was in the face of the inappropriate backlash, not the movement, that caused the 'all lives' reaction. Was the rest of the nation unaware of policemen killed? Evergreen violently ousting white students and professors? If so, your friend may have had a more poignant observation. I don't see it as accurate to what I've seen regarding the movement. It was started in angst and continued in violence. Again, 'all' lives was an appropriate response to what we were seeing. "Blue Lives Matter" was in direct response to that violence. Not the idea that blacks matter.

I don't believe many are stamping in that direction. Look, if a team wins a championship in this country some people riot. You'll have that element in any movement. In the case of BLM, where the foundation is about justice, mistreatment and violence experienced by minorities at the hands of the instrument that is supposed to protect and serve them...
In this Country? :idunno: We've seen it during the world cup between nations. One guy was accidentally killed during the Superbowl aftermath in Philadelphia. It 'seems' your friend unintentionally waves away the repercussion of Blue Lives lost mattering, or white lives battered mattering, in and among the movement. His quote seems at best ignorant, at worst unresponsive, uncaring.

You'll have to point me to it. I have a lot of conversations in various places and that phrase while familiar wasn't in the quote that preceded it.

"Blue Lives Matter" was the response, directly to "Black Lives Matter" aftermath in which policemen and women, unrelated to any black lives, lost their lives due to only the color of their uniform. It too, was a prejudice movement and the baggage that it carried was equally inappropriate, thus I think your friend's quote shy of concern and somewhat careless (depending upon its force on his audience).

But it's a choice to put it on, assuming the risk, understanding it's an inherently dangerous job. Being a minority shouldn't be any of those things, inherently.

:cheers:

I don't want to be shot for holding a TV remote, but I don't want any cops killed for making that horrendous mistake. I don't think by virtue of choice, a police life is worth any less for having done so. If I could change my skin color, I'd not say 'my choice' was the reason for any violence against me, but rather a misplaced prejudice having very little to do with my choice. Likewise, no policeman/woman desires to be shot. There has to be something more said, in response, than just "that's what they chose." It doesn't honor sacrifice nor recognizes it. We don't honor all soldiers on memorial days. Just the ones who served with dignity and honor. I suppose as it goes, perhaps there are a few lives across board that need to be in prison for the rest of their lives, but that's not, I think, included in the "All" generally speaking. There are some vets and their actions I will not honor on Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

I actually think the South is doing better these days than a good bit of the country. And the resentment I was speaking to was a loudly heard in the heartland as it was anywhere else. And the complaints of the BLM movement are heard and founded in conduct you can look at across the nation.

Like the prayer meeting? Is there one specific that comes to mind?