An Advocation of Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Why does that not cover it? Do you think laws/legal documents should be long and complicated? Or should they be easy for, say, a child to read and understand it?

The document does not specify who, whom, or what you have the right to worship, because it is simply not necessary to define such. If it were to do so, it would have to become more complicated, meaning a child could potentially not be able to understand it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

It gives the king too much latitude for interpretation....perhaps by design.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Aren't you the same guy who explicitly stated that nobody is entitled to an education among other things? How would someone, including a child know how to understand such a thing without one?

It is the responsibility of the parents of those children to educate them.

Arthur Brain

Then the child does not receive an education, simple as that. It's not hard to homeschool these days.

Not sure where you get that from. It's definitely not from the Bible.

For some people it actually is hard to 'homeschool' and for some folk they really shouldn't try to anyway...

Good to see your compassion and understanding coming to the fore again though!

:thumb:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
For some people it actually is hard to 'homeschool' and for some folk they really shouldn't try to anyway...

Good to see your compassion and understanding coming to the fore again though!

:thumb:

You do realize that Homeschooling can be done with minimal interaction of the parents, right? You know, with computer programs?

Arthur Brain

Actually no, I grew up going to private Christian schools, except for the last three years of high school, which was a public school.

Okay, I'll just level with you from my perspective. You sound like a very indoctrinated youth who doesn't have much experience outside of what you've been 'taught' to think in very restricted boundaries and hence the 'cold' aspect you have in regards to people in general. I hope you overcome that as you certainly aren't stupid.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A monarchy is only as good as its king.
A democracy is only as good as its citizens.

It's a gamble either way.
Not really.

From an analytical point of view, a democracy promotes people who are popular, while a king is not as tied to the demands of the masses.

So if there is a negative correlation between what is right and what is popular, then democracy is inherently inferior.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TheologyOnline mobile app

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Okay, I'll just level with you from my perspective. You sound like a very indoctrinated youth who doesn't have much experience outside of what you've been 'taught' to think in very restricted boundaries and hence the 'cold' aspect you have in regards to people in general. I hope you overcome that as you certainly aren't stupid.

Not indoctrinated, no.

I'm 23, an adult, so perhaps to you, youthful.

I have enough experience to know that being so open minded that my brains drip out of my skull onto the ground is a bad thing.

Cold? No. Just aware that there are consequences to actions, and that doing things that look good on the surface, even popular, doesn't guarantee that it's the right thing to do. Liberals such as yourself make it seem like laws and actions that are destructive are not, whereas Christians try to bring forth actions that are good and just, but liberals try to bring them down, making them out to be bad for people.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm 23, an adult, so perhaps to you, youthful.
So, home schooled then barely in the world on your own you think you have its nuance firmly in hand? Your biologically seated judgment centers haven't even finished with construction yet. By which I don't mean to imply you can't then reason or get a thing right, only that you lack much of the experiential and your hardware is still seating a lot of what will feel right to you, judgmentally, in the part of the brain that isn't best equipped to know.

I have enough experience to know that being so open minded that my brains drip out of my skull onto the ground is a bad thing.
See, that's bumper sticker rhetoric. The truth is that being open minded isn't being indecisive or unsure. It's simply being open to consideration and examination on a point. And any truth should both invite and withstand that sort of thing.

Cold? No. Just aware that there are consequences to actions, and that doing things that look good on the surface, even popular, doesn't guarantee that it's the right thing to do.
You're right that popularity is no litmus for truth. The truth demands more. I'll remind you of that in a minute.

Liberals such as yourself make it seem like laws and actions that are destructive are not, whereas Christians try to bring forth actions that are good and just, but liberals try to bring them down, making them out to be bad for people.
Two foundational errors in that. First, you can be a liberal and be a Christian, but only if you understand that being liberal isn't being of one mind on every social and political issue. Second, overly simplified, stereotypical notions of large, diverse groups may feel satisfying to pronounce, may "look good" to you and be popular among those who agree with you, but it's rarely an accurate assessment and it screams partisan bias in lieu of serious, sustainable consideration--a thing any truth merits.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So, home schooled then barely in the world on your own you think you have its nuance firmly in hand?

I'm not homeschooled, but I wish I was.

Your biologically seated judgment centers haven't even finished with construction yet. By which I don't mean to imply you can't then reason or get a thing right, only that you lack much of the experiential and your hardware is still seating a lot of what will feel right to you, judgmentally, in the part of the brain that isn't best equipped to know.

I've been learning a lot over the past 2.5-3 years about the Bible, and the world around me.

See, that's bumper sticker rhetoric. The truth is that being open minded isn't being indecisive or unsure. It's simply being open to consideration and examination on a point. And any truth should both invite and withstand that sort of thing.

You're saying I don't consider opposing arguments?

You're right that popularity is no litmus for truth. The truth demands more. I'll remind you of that in a minute.

Two foundational errors in that. First, you can be a liberal and be a Christian, but only if you understand that being liberal isn't being of one mind on every social and political issue. Second, overly simplified, stereotypical notions of large, diverse groups may feel satisfying to pronounce, may "look good" to you and be popular among those who agree with you, but it's rarely an accurate assessment and it screams partisan bias in lieu of serious, sustainable consideration--a thing any truth merits.

When using God as one's standard for righteousness and truth, anything that contradicts/goes against Him and His nature is wrong.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm not homeschooled, but I wish I was.
I thought you were. My mistake then. Pubic or private school?

I've been learning a lot over the past 2.5-3 years about the Bible, and the world around me.
And I wouldn't disparage that, but consider the next, say, ten years. Do you think you'll know more and understand more, provided you pay attention, than you do at this moment or do you think you're all done? I suspect you'll value the gravitas, consideration and experience life will give you over the coming years. It's true for those who have already gone through many of them too.

You're saying I don't consider opposing arguments?
I'm saying you're more prone to make snap and mistaken judgments than you will be in the future. But now and then you'll need to seriously consider whatever you believe the truth is in its particulars and should avoid rejections of other ideas that aren't as complicated in their construction as what you accept. Or, spend the same time and effort understanding what it is you reject and why.

When using God as one's standard for righteousness and truth, anything that contradicts/goes against Him and His nature is wrong.
As decided by? Now before you rush to say, "God" recall that an awful lot of people, older, younger, and the same age as you have an awful lot of different opinions and judgments about a great deal of scripture. There are people here who would question your faith if you have a Christmas tree and some who believe you have to work your way to heaven. Others say you must worship on Saturday. Some think you have problems if you're eating pork. And so on.

Again, you can be a liberal and remain a Christian. You can be an atheist and find comfort in conservatism. Both happen daily. Whenever you find yourself making as broad a declaration as you did it tells me two things, either you're very young and haven't had sufficient time and exposure to understand your error, or you haven't thought it through for some other reason, because their is no reasonable excuse for believing that blunderbuss approach to an opposing ideology.

I'm a moderate. I view both branches with appreciation and skepticism. I find much admirable and true and a good bit of nonsense in either end, with the white noise increasing the further in and farther out one goes. Before you get to that is a great deal of complicated and worthwhile truth, even in difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.