What is your definition of racism?

Sigh

What about Caribbean folks? We swim like fishes. How do you calculate that?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
and this also reminds me of a problem. I guess during World War II
some went to great lengths to identify the difference between Jews and other Germans. Now according to some in science fields they can i'd ethnic lines in our DNA... And some claim there may be tendencies in certain body types. But surely as pointed out somewhat above no one of any ethnic type will be a carbon copy of others in the same ethnic group...right? Like I'm Nordic on one side, but what is that? If somebody says,"well youre fair skinned with light colored eyes," then my brown haired brown eyed cousins who are Nordic also are what? They are at the wrong end of a misconception, that's what, right? What a drag, right?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Hi, actually that first line above is about something else related to this question: What is racebaiting?

it's a form of entertainment for young men in the suburbs - they go into the inner city with fishing poles and drag a bucket of kfc down the street to see what they'll catch :)

other popular baits are:

Spoiler
FAVORITE-LURES.jpg

Sigh

When I was a kid white kids were called "sufers". No idea why. No one I knew actually surfed. Some were called "Okies", probably a reference from the Great Depression.
My mom said when she was younger she was called an "Oakie" by someone from up north because she said, "Yes, Ma'am" as a polite reply to someone older... But she was a Texan and we are all glad she didn't just kick the shoot fire and save the matches out of the rude dumbie. When I was young in a mostly military inhabited town we had "soc'es" (pronounced so'shes for socialites) and the un-named cool people who smoked pot and dressed in hip huggers and such. Sigh

Sigh

it's a form of entertainment for young men in the suburbs - they go into the inner city with fishing poles and drag a bucket of kfc down the street to see what they'll catch :)

other popular baits are:

Spoiler
FAVORITE-LURES.jpg
Wow, Res, you had that gift of outrageousness before I left but I see you've honed it to a very sharp point or two... you might could wear them as horns...?

Sigh

There are far fewer blacks than whites though.

I never thought I'd say this but in the military only rank determines who is better or more important. I think Israel has mandatory enlistment for all youths. Maybe we should have something like that and a GI bill that could go with it? Then we could all be Americans with different ethnic, religious and cultural ideologies that don't matter to anyone but the holders?
But the point is too many inner city type areas are filled more with one or two ethnic types and that should not be. According an ex boyfriends father who was quite a bit older than my parents, when he came over from Denmark he could go to Chicago and one block would hold the Swedes, another the Polish, and on it went. All of them close to each other but still huddling with their own countrymen the most. All white and so forth. But that didn't stay that way for all of them. My own grandparents wouldn't allow my Dad to learn the language from the old country that they could speak. They didn't want him to have the characteristic accent when he spoke English. And he doesn't. He sounds totally American.

ok doser

Good point.

We were virtually slaves to the Brits, with some of us put on the auction block in the South.

yep - the history of slavery isn't as black and white as some people like to pretend

if the black lobby manages to get a reparations for descendants of slavery bill passed, are you guys gonna riot until you get your cut?

Sigh

i assume you meant surfers

and i assume there weren't many (any?) black surfers
They were busy kicking A in basketball? Surfers can't jump?

Ps we should admit body types are what determine some things but no ethnic group has only one body type, right?

musterion

yep - the history of slavery isn't as black and white as some people like to pretend

if the black lobby manages to get a reparations for descendants of slavery bill passed, are you guys gonna riot until you get your cut?

That would be interesting to see since so many of us became cops.

And that doesn't even include my Jewish ancestry. My forefathers were enslaved by more people than the average black person's were.

PureX

The problem with that argument is that is not about race, it's about comparing a current disadvantage of certain people to those with advantage, and trying to make it about race.
It's about race because the privileged elite clique that run everything are ALWAYS the pretty, rich, white kids become the pretty, rich, white adult bosses. And the rare exceptional outsiders that manage to make it into this successful elite clique remain rare, and remain the non-pretty, non-rich, non-white exceptions to the rule.

The current President is black. Judicial courts, police departments, politics, the upper classes, and the elite- all have blacks integrated within. So obviously the disadvantage is not about race, it's about one's upbringing.
Yup. And they remain the very rare exceptions to the rule. The exceptions that we point to, just as you are doing, to try and pretend that the obstacles these exceptions had to overcome weren't 100 times greater than the obstacles that the privileged pretty, rich, white elites had to overcome to attain the same level of power and success.

Black people are largely seen as at a disadvantage, exclusively, because society's attention has chosen to be exclusive about who they see at a disadvantage :roll eyes:
Dark skinned people are disadvantaged because they are an easy and traditional scapegoat to recognize and abuse. After all, that dark skin is there for any and all to see. It brands them as "different". And because they are in the minority, they're considered a 'weak target' for those who seek to elevate themselves by putting down others.

The privileged white elite want to pretend they deserve their elite status because they are that much better than everyone else. And the non-privilidged whites who serve them want to believe that even though they are servants, at least they are not part of the SUB-servient, non-white lower class. So everyone has their reasons for maintaining that subservient scape-goat class of people. And it's just that much easier to do when the scapegoats have dark skin to help everyone identify them as targets.

This is what has happened with constantly bringing up race- the sooner it dies, the sooner problems will actually get solved. But right now, people want to instead keep the stigma running, and favor certain groups while ignoring others or even at the expense of others.
Racism is the symptom, not the problem. The problem is greed and ignorance (selfishness and stupidity). The more we can diminish greed and ignorance, the more racism will become untenable.

ok doser

Dark skinned people are disadvantaged because they are an easy and traditional scapegoat to recognize and abuse. After all, that dark skin is there for any and all to see. It brands them as "different".

just like asian americans?

just like irish and scottish americans?

just like italian americans?

and yet, all these "disadvantaged" and "different" minorities managed to work their way out of poverty into success

if you're really interested in learning more about this (and i know you aren't - you have your constructed reality to protect), go here: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/soci...quence-success-is-more-likely-if-youre-white/

one key point:
Lowry correctly reports that about three-quarters of Americans reach the middle class provided that they:

Graduate from high school;
Maintain a full-time job or have a partner who does; and
Have children while married and after age 21, should they choose to become parents.

take a guess at which race doesn't manage to achieve those three criteria as well as the other

Sigh

It's about race because the privileged elite clique that run everything are ALWAYS the pretty, rich, white kids become the pretty, rich, white adult bosses. And the rare exceptional outsiders that manage to make it into this successful elite clique remain rare, and remain the non-pretty, non-rich, non-white exceptions to the rule.

Yup. And they remain the very rare exceptions to the rule. The exceptions that we point to, just as you are doing, to try and pretend that the obstacles these exceptions had to overcome weren't 100 times greater than the obstacles that the privileged pretty, rich, white elites had to overcome to attain the same level of power and success.

Dark skinned people are disadvantaged because they are an easy and traditional scapegoat to recognize and abuse. After all, that dark skin is there for any and all to see. It brands them as "different". And because they are in the minority, they're considered a 'weak target' for those who seek to elevate themselves by putting down others.

The privileged white elite want to pretend they deserve their elite status because they are that much better than everyone else. And the non-privilidged whites who serve them want to believe that even though they are servants, at least they are not part of the SUB-servient, non-white lower class. So everyone has their reasons for maintaining that subservient scape-goat class of people. And it's just that much easier to do when the scapegoats have dark skin to help everyone identify them as targets.

Racism is the symptom, not the problem. The problem is greed and ignorance (selfishness and stupidity). The more we can diminish greed and ignorance, the more racism will become untenable.

Hi Purex, as Res pointed out there have always been those who had to overcome what is less than a fair shake, like the Irish in earlier times in the States.
It's wrong, we should fight it.

But when someone starts talking like you do my guts twist.
Have you heard about the horrible racism in some middle eastern countries? In one country an Asian type population is at the bottom. They are treated in a horrible but acceptable way that would shock silly Americans who talk the way you just did. And Africa? Oh my word, such terrible disregard for the life of others.

Do you care? It bothers me to think you may not really care about suffering or unfairness? But you may feel pretty good trying to accuse others unfairly?

The whites here that you think are pretty now may not have looked so powerful or pretty to start with, right? Why won't any liberal admit that?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

The 'pretty rich white kids' are all in college being brainwashed by their liberal arts classes. They'll become the 'pretty, rich, white bosses' when they grow out of the nonsense that you are perpetuating :rolleyes:

They aren't being abused, they are being left to their own devices. What you all really perpetuate is that the successful are racist if they don't share their success.
The only thing holding black people down are other black people, but never mind statistics when they don't work your way right? You all otherwise spam statistics like a Texas Instrument.

The privileged white elite want to pretend they deserve their elite status because they are that much better than everyone else.

They believe they are better than everyone else, it's just not exclusive or particular to race. If they have qualms with black people, it's due to being told the garbage you're spewing.

You all act like it's wrong for a white man to defend his race or to be frustrated with others, but that it's okay for every other race to do just that.
White people are starting to pick up on the deceit there and that makes those as yourself mad, which is why you all are blaring up your amplifiers now.

And that's a good thing, because now you all can see how ridiculous you've sounded over the past decade :rolleyes:

Sigh

So the black man I met today said he believes black folks have an innate avoidance of swimming. I even offered that perhaps because many of them are from urban areas where often there is no place to swim, it's frightening. He said that's often true but is convinced it's much deeper, something genetic (that's the word he used).

If you disagree with his opinion of other black people - and of himself before he forced himself to learn how - and if you're white - then you must be racist for saying you know black people better than a black man does.

If you disagree with his opinion, and you're black, why should anyone accept your view over his?
I wish i Had checked to see how many others answered this gauntlet you threw down! Well Done!

But so errorfied!

Can we please please admit body types are conducive to certain activities? Not a lot of body fat genetically under the skin? Don't swim, you won't like it. Play basketball, run in races.

musterion

I wish i Had checked to see how many others answered this gauntlet you threw down! Well Done!

But so errorfied!

Can we please please admit body types are conducive to certain activities? Not a lot of body fat genetically under the skin? Don't swim, you won't like it. Play basketball, run in races.

Wow. You know what? You're right. There is no such thing as obese black people.

PureX

Hi Purex, as Res pointed out there have always been those who had to overcome what is less than a fair shake, like the Irish in earlier times in the States.
It's wrong, we should fight it.
No one here is fighting it. Everyone is excusing it, instead, as they participate in it and feign their innocence.

But when someone starts talking like you do my guts twist.

Have you heard about the horrible racism in some middle eastern countries? In one country an Asian type population is at the bottom. They are treated in a horrible but acceptable way that would shock silly Americans who talk the way you just did. And Africa? Oh my word, such terrible disregard for the life of others.
There is very little we can do about the racism of other people, and in other countries. Nor are we especially responsible for it.

But there is a lot we can do about the racism in THIS country. For one thing, we can stop participating in it by making excuses for it, or pretending that it doesn't exist.

Do you care? It bothers me to think you may not really care about suffering or unfairness? But you may feel pretty good trying to accuse others unfairly?
You seem to be working very hard at blaming the messenger for the message. Presumably so that you can then ignore a message that you don't want to acknowledge.

The whites here that you think are pretty now may not have looked so powerful or pretty to start with, right? Why won't any liberal admit that?
I don't think they're pretty at all. I think that because they control the levers of wealth, power, and cultural messaging, they get to define themselves as the measure of what is "pretty". Just as they define themselves as being more "deserving" of their easy and automatic good fortune. And we buy into this BS because we want to be them. Or we want to be more like them than the people next to us.