Jerry Falwell Jr. Compares Donald Trump to King David, Talks About Watching Elton...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Jerry Falwell Jr. Compares Donald Trump to King David, Talks About Watching Elton John Together on Private Jet

With presidential campaigning in full force, Jerry Falwell Jr., president of what heralds itself as the world’s largest Christian university, is defending and cozying up to the lead contender on the Republican ticket, recently recalling to the university newspaper how he and Trump watched an Elton John concert together on the billionaire’s private jet—a man whose sins he dismissed by comparison to God’s appointment of King David.

As previously reported, Falwell has repeatedly sought to assure the American people of the mud-slinging, foul-mouthed candidate’s Christianity, pointing to the candidate’s good deeds as being the “fruit” that Jesus spoke of that characterizes a man who is born again.

“I’ve seen his generosity to strangers, to his employees, his warm relationship with his children,” he said on CNN’s “Legal View With Ashleigh Banfield” last month. “I’m convinced he’s a Christian. I believe he has faith in Jesus Christ.”

“I’ve had conversations with him just within the past few weeks about his faith, and I have no doubts he is a man of faith and he’s a Christian,” Falwell also stated on Fox’s “Hannity.”

“Matthew 7:16 tells us that ‘By your fruits you shall know them.’ Donald Trump’s life has borne fruit,” he told students during Trump’s appearance at Liberty University in January. “Fruit that has provided jobs to multitudes of people, in addition to the many he has helped with his generosity.”

“In my opinion, Mr. Trump lives a life of loving and helping others as Jesus taught in the Great Commandment,” Falwell declared.

In a recent interview with the Liberty University newspaper, the Liberty Champion, Falwell explained his endorsement of Trump, and recalled the time he spent with the presidential candidate on the campaign trail in Iowa—including on his 757 jet, where the two watched an Elton John concert together.

He’s got this big living room with this big screen TV. He’s got a master bedroom he showed us,” he remembered. “Then he let my son and his wife actually sit in the cockpit to take off because my son’s a pilot. Then we sat there with him the whole time, just across the table.”

“[W]e ate cheeseburgers. Then he put on a concert,” Falwell said. “He found out that when I grew up in the 70s, I was an Elton John fan. So, he put the concert on the big screen.”

As previously reported, Trump, who states that he personally believes marriage should be between a man and a woman, celebrated Elton John’s “marriage” to his same-sex partner in 2005.

“I know both of them and they get along wonderfully. It’s a marriage that’s going to work,” he wrote on his Trump University blog. “In any event, I’m very happy for them. If two people dig each other, they dig each other. Good luck, Elton. Good luck, David. Have a great life.”

In Falwell’s interview with the university newspaper, he asserted that Christians shouldn’t be concerned about a candidate’s sinful lifestyle as much as the need to “save the country.”

“Jesus said, ‘Judge not, lest ye be judged. Let’s stop trying to choose the political leaders who we believe are the most godly because, in reality, only God knows people’s hearts. You and I don’t, and we are all sinners,” Falwell contended.

He acknowledged that some disagree with his endorsement of Trump.

“It is sad to see Christians attacking other Christians because they don’t support the same candidate or the candidate who they believe is the most righteous,” Falwell stated.

He pointed to King David in his reasoning, asserting that God still used him as a leader despite his sin.

“God called King David a man after God’s own heart even though he was an adulterer and a murderer,” Falwell said. “You have to choose the leader that would make the best king or president and not necessarily someone who would be a good pastor. We’re not voting for pastor-in-chief.”

In writing for the National Review on Monday, attorney David French found Falwell’s comparison to be faulty, noting that God punished David for his sin, and the nation suffered as a result.

“To mention King David in the same breath as Donald Trump is to insult our theological intelligence,” he stated. “Yes, David did terrible things—among them, committing adultery and sending his mistress’s husband to die in war—but God imposed terrible punishment—a punishment that cost David his son and ultimately plunged his nation into civil war.”

“And while God forgave David—as He forgives us today—He did not spare David from the cost of disobedience,” French continued. “Ultimately, David’s story is a story of both the awful consequences of sin and God’s mercy in response to true repentance.”

He said that the same will happen if America elects a leader living in open rebellion against God.

“Trump will bring us sin without repentance and consequence without the mercy,” French opined.

“Trump’s evangelical cheerleaders aren’t leading a flock—they’re following the mob,” he declared, expressing dismay at Falwell and others. “And as they follow the mob, they engage in ever-more bizarre theological and intellectual gymnastics to justify the unjustifiable.”

Also see (for more of this): Video Shows ‘Prosperity’ Preachers Laying Hands on Trump

I think all this is very bizarre and so many 'christians' following after this guy as if hes a prophet of God, equally bizarre. Someone help me out here and show me Trumps beliefs. I havent seen him really talk much about it. I don't get all the attention.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Trump: I'm done with anymore debates

Donald Trump says he will not participate in the next GOP presidential debate on Monday in Utah because “we’ve had enough debates.”

The front runner for the Republican presidential nomination said Wednesday on Fox News that he’s committed to a big speech the same night.

Trump says he didn’t know about the March 21 event until Tuesday night, when he won critical primaries in Illinois, North Carolina and Florida.

Without Trump, the only two onstage would be Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who won his home state in the same contests Tuesday, and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz. It would be a clash of potential alternatives as each man maneuvers to claim the mantle of credible alternative to the brash billionaire who has controlled the race for months.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
remember when McCain suggested that he and the boy wonder skip their scheduled debate in September 2008 in order to do their jobs as United States Senators and deal with the financial meltdown that was ongoing?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
remember when McCain suggested that he and the boy wonder skip their scheduled debate in September 2008 in order to do their jobs as United States Senators and deal with the financial meltdown that was ongoing?

Not comparable to flat out stating one is done with them and there have been enough. Especially when people need to hear how he would handle things compared to others.

I think he knows now that the field is much more narrow, he would be in trouble in them.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Not comparable to flat out stating one is done with them and there have been enough. Especially when people need to hear how he would handle things compared to others.

I think he knows now that the field is much more narrow, he would be in trouble in them.

remember when Stockdale turned off his hearing aid while quayle and gore nattered on? :chuckle:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Issues, or how he will handle things matters not. Ideologies matter, as that is what tells you how it will happen. It shows how one is said to be "pro-life" yet is glad to see Mike Brown and Trayvon Martin gone.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
?? Who is stockdale?

Daniel-Craig.jpg