consequences to women of abortion: depression, sterility.. even DEATH

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
THE USA IS UNDER A CURSE BECAUSE THEY DESTROY THEIR BABIES
AND APPROVE GAY MARRIAGE.

This is what israel was punished for.

Please cite your source for that statement?

I believe he's confusing Israel with the Roman Empire.

Gay Marriage—Nothing New Under the Sun

Gay marriage and homosexuality were part of the moral landscape faced by the first Christians in Ancient Rome.

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/1367/gay_marriagenothing_new_under_the_sun.aspx

The Role of Infanticide and Abortion in Pagan Rome’s Decline
http://newenglishreview.org/custpage.cfm/frm/123665/sec_id/123665

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
And here again women are presented as completely powerless to defend themselves against pregnancy, when the exact opposite is true. Women have almost total control over whether or not they get pregnant.
I think fundamentalists and many evangelicals are uncomfortable with all things sexual. After all, they often do not even mention the otherworldly feeling after an orgasm.

We are all to often powerless against our own evolutionary nature. Women and men have been addicted to sex since history began.

The poor do not usually use birth control and the ones who an afford it do not like to pause in the middle of the sexual act to make use of any birth control.

I know for a fact that many of the young mothers in rural areas are single women who attended church and knew all the preaching against sex in their churches.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think fundamentalists and many evangelicals are uncomfortable with all things sexual.

Sex between a husband and wife is a beautiful thing. When you speak of "all things sexual", I assume you're speaking about things outside of the confines of marriage: homosexuality, incest, bestiality, etc., so yes, put me in the "uncomfortable" category when it comes to those perversions.

After all, they often do not even mention the otherworldly feeling after an orgasm.

Is that something you talk about with your buddies? What business is it of yours what a husband and wife talk about after having marital relations? (ewwww, this guy is ultra creepy).

alwight

Are you stupid or just British? How many horrendous problems our society suffers would have been avoided, or at least greatly lessened, had people continued to stick to that practice?
What has my being British got to do with anything?
If I were black would that be a valid excuse for you to be derogatory and insulting?

Humans just happen to be sexual beings whether fundamentalist boondock hillbilly Christians like you like it or not. You may want to control who is allowed to do it so that only the "approved" get to wield their private parts and thereby produce "approved" (Christian?) offspring, yet strangely enough some fundies will often claim that such social eugenics is a product of Hitler and Darwin? :rolleyes:

Huckleberry

I think fundamentalists and many evangelicals are uncomfortable with all things sexual.
Not that I've ever noticed. I think you mean they don't take positions on the topic of sexuality that you agree with. I'm sure perverts think preachers must be uncomfortable with sex if they don't agree with them on what is and isn't acceptable. Or...maybe wish fundie preachers were just uncomfortable, so they didn't have to face the fact that they're perverts.
After all, they often do not even mention the otherworldly feeling after an orgasm.
Maybe because they don't want to come across as perverts? Is this a topic often discussed across the dinner table where you come from or something? How often and under what circumstance do you expect "fundamentalists" and "evangelicals" to preach about orgasms?

Perv.

We are all to often powerless against our own evolutionary nature. Women and men have been addicted to sex since history began.
There it is. Yet again the insistence that we are all powerless against sex. The mantra of perverts everywhere.

The poor do not usually use birth control...
That's racist.

...and the ones who an afford it do not like to pause in the middle of the sexual act to make use of any birth control.
So, rather than expect them to exercise some modicum of self control in the face of sex, just murder a baby in the womb. Because that's the more reasonable expectation.
I know for a fact that many of the young mothers in rural areas are single women who attended church and knew all the preaching against sex in their churches.
And didn't murder their babies for their own convenience, choosing instead to accept responsibility for their behavior. Good for them!

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Sex between a husband and wife is a beautiful thing. When you speak of "all things sexual", I assume you're speaking about things outside of the confines of marriage: homosexuality, incest, bestiality, etc., so yes, put me in the "uncomfortable" category when it comes to those perversions.
Same as the Muslims are. Same exact versions of “Shari’a Law” on both sides.

Is that something you talk about with your buddies? What business is it of yours what a husband and wife talk about after having marital relations? (ewwww, this guy is ultra creepy).
You came up with “buddies.” That says a lot about you but nothing about me--except your childish and oblique reference to me as “creepy.”

Sorry you feel uncomfortable about my comments. But that was precisely my point.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
... Is this a topic often discussed across the dinner table where you come from or something? How often and under what circumstance do you expect "fundamentalists" and "evangelicals" to preach about orgasms?
It certainly was with our family. We were raising a daughter in an atmosphere of sexual fear and discomfort with all things sexual. We made a special effort to take my daughter to see the new babies of our friends. She was able to describe male and female anatomy like adults should do from an early age. I taught her also how to “view” commercials, especially those who used sex as a way to get people to buy stuff.
She grew up in an era of sexualizing children on one hand and then those same fundamentalists having fears of sexual knowledge by them on the other.

I see the reversion to childhood name-calling as a silly attempt at speaking assertively and plainly.

There it is. Yet again the insistence that we are all powerless against sex. The mantra of perverts everywhere.
Again, your immature insult says much more about you than it does me.

That's racist.
I’m curious. In what way?

So, rather than expect them to exercise some modicum of self control in the face of sex, just murder a baby in the womb. Because that's the more reasonable expectation.
And didn't murder their babies for their own convenience, choosing instead to accept responsibility for their behavior. Good for them!
You should really listen to those “upright Christian girls” who find themselves alone and pregnant. I suspect some of the young women I know were carrying their own father’s child.

Huckleberry

It certainly was with our family. We were raising a daughter in an atmosphere of sexual fear and discomfort with all things sexual. We made a special effort to take my daughter to see the new babies of our friends. She was able to describe male and female anatomy like adults should do from an early age. I taught her also how to “view” commercials, especially those who used sex as a way to get people to buy stuff.
She grew up in an era of sexualizing children on one hand and then those same fundamentalists having fears of sexual knowledge by them on the other.
I'm having trouble following the history you're trying to lay out here.
I see the reversion to childhood name-calling as a silly attempt at speaking assertively and plainly.
Just making a point. Your judging fundamentalists and evangelicals as being uncomfortable will all things sexual because they don't routinely expound upon the subject of orgasmic afterglow. That's simply perverse.
Again, your immature insult says much more about you than it does me.
That actually wasn't necessarily an insult at you, rather the point that arguing from the assumption of powerlessness over one's sexuality is common from the perverse. It probably includes you, considering you're arguing from just that assumption though. Again, this is perverse thinking.
I’m curious. In what way?
A joke, but with a point. Is it prejudice (and maybe a little bigoted) to assume the poor do not use birth control and present that as an argument favoring abortion? I think so. It certainly portrays "the poor" as, yet again, powerless over their sexuality. I prefer to think they are human beings who can exercise self control.
You should really listen to those “upright Christian girls” who find themselves alone and pregnant.
And what will those "upright Christian girls" say that you think I need to hear that might impact my stance on abortion?
I suspect some of the young women I know were carrying their own father’s child.
Same here. Doesn't challenge my position on abortion in the slightest. Nor has it theirs.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I'm having trouble following the history you're trying to lay out here.
We raised our daughter to enjoy sex, not get obsessed with it or become afraid of it.

Just making a point. Your judging fundamentalists and evangelicals as being uncomfortable will all things sexual because they don't routinely expound upon the subject of orgasmic afterglow. That's simply perverse.
It is an interesting notion that a person’s opinion about sexual topics is condemned as “perverse.” I guess I am still surprised to hear it from folks like yourself.

That actually wasn't necessarily an insult at you, rather the point that arguing from the assumption of powerlessness over one's sexuality is common from the perverse. It probably includes you, considering you're arguing from just that assumption though. Again, this is perverse thinking.
Then the sexual studies of Freud and Masters and Johnson’s was perverse as well. Yet that perversion put us light years ahead of who we used to be.

A joke, but with a point. Is it prejudice (and maybe a little bigoted) to assume the poor do not use birth control and present that as an argument favoring abortion? I think so. It certainly portrays "the poor" as, yet again, powerless over their sexuality. I prefer to think they are human beings who can exercise self control.
The poor don’t develop the same skills we can. They have to worry about the cold and rain and the heat. They have to worry about feeding themselves and their famiies. Birth control is actually far down on their list.

And what will those "upright Christian girls" say that you think I need to hear that might impact my stance on abortion?
Same here. Doesn't challenge my position on abortion in the slightest. Nor has it theirs.
The fact that pregnant girls tend to be religious and uneducated means that their authoritarian, obedience-based family life is not exactly nurturing for women in trouble.

Until evangelicals start educating themselves on the oppressive social forces that push young women into a corner, then abortion will continue to be a fact of American life.

Huckleberry

We raised our daughter to enjoy sex, not get obsessed with it or become afraid of it.
Considering that you seem to view sex as something over which we have no control, I suppose I can understand how you might think this a good idea. And, in fact, why you seem to view abortion as a form of birth control. You must assume it inevitable that your daughter will get pregnant as some point, having no control over her own sexuality and no confidence that she'll avail herself of contraceptives.

My original point returns, in that those you characterize as having some sort of problem with sex perhaps simply don't view sex as impossible to control. Wouldn't this better explain the divergence between your views on sex and theirs, rather than some odd discomfort? If you thought of sex as something your daughter could control, wouldn't you teach her to do that, rather than risk pregnancy, STD's and potential emotional harm? And yet you impute some sort of skewed sexual perspective instead.
It is an interesting notion that a person’s opinion about sexual topics is condemned as “perverse.” I guess I am still surprised to hear it from folks like yourself.
I'm quite comfortable characterizing as perverse the idea that fundamentalists and evangelicals should freely and often expound on the subject of orgasms.
Then the sexual studies of Freud and Masters and Johnson’s was perverse as well. Yet that perversion put us light years ahead of who we used to be.
Why? Did they also conclude that we have no control over our own sexuality? Because I'm pretty sure they didn't.
The poor don’t develop the same skills we can. They have to worry about the cold and rain and the heat. They have to worry about feeding themselves and their famiies. Birth control is actually far down on their list.

The fact that pregnant girls tend to be religious and uneducated means that their authoritarian, obedience-based family life is not exactly nurturing for women in trouble.

Until evangelicals start educating themselves on the oppressive social forces that push young women into a corner, then abortion will continue to be a fact of American life.
Hm. Well, looking around on the internet I find that the Guttmacher Institute says about 70% of abortions are by women who identify as religious. And guess what? About 70-75% of people identify as religious. Religious affiliation doesn't seem to be a factor at all. I will grant you that folks below the poverty level (about 16% of the populace) have 40% of the abortions, but are you really going to argue they're completely ignorant about sex and its inherent risk of pregnancy?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
it's another discussion for another thread, but i'm of the opinion that rape is a choice that women make

they choose to be raped???

:confused:

Could you clarify that statement.

Does a woman choose to be raped by a stranger on a college campus when she is getting out of her car? Just trying to clarify what you mean by this statement.

it's another discussion for another thread

i'll start another thread if you like - let me know

meanwhile - consider this crap:
We raised our daughter to enjoy sex

Cedarbay

it's another discussion for another thread, but i'm of the opinion that rape is a choice that women make
Please answer Sherman's question, either in this thread or in a new one.

What are you waiting for?

I would not have given you the benefit of the doubt that Sherman has.

I'm kind of surprised the feminists of TOL have not jumped down your throat.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
yes, i realize it's a provocative statement that will generate an emotional response devoid of rational analysis

from your comment "it's violent thought towards women", i see it's already begun

not sure i'm up to dealing with stupidity at the moment, as I'm about to log off and go home

i'll come back to this tomorrow, either here or in a new thread

Cedarbay

yes, i realize it's a provocative statement that will generate an emotional response devoid of rational analysis

from your comment "it's violent thought towards women", i see it's already begun

not sure i'm up to dealing with stupidity at the moment, as I'm about to log off and go home

So, your point is to be provocative, rational, knowledgeable and astute regarding your statement, that "rape is a choice women make"?

Again, what are you waiting for professor?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So, your point is to be provocative, rational, knowledgeable and astute regarding your statement, that "rape is a choice women make"?

I don't think it's possible for a pathetic sack of crap to be rational, knowledgeable and astute. Provocative, maybe. Depends which way the wind is blowing.

alwight

Predictable shock and horror from quite a few here who seem to think that what you actually taught your daughter was to enjoy sin rather than just sex!
Commit and enjoy adultery!
Go and kill someone and enjoy it!
Kill thy mother and father, don't bother with all that respect stuff!
Never tell the truth, lie and cheat!
Don't just covert your neighbour's ox, steal it! :)
In fact covert anything your neighbour has! :devil:

Cedarbay

You are basically indicting women as the cause of a violent act. How does that not compute to "violence against women"?

I'm getting more "rationally" steamed by the second.