Why do we make children of llegals citizens? DUMB!!!

republicanchick

Yeh, that's a way to discourage illegals crossing the border... tell them if they just have a baby, once they make it to our side, they are HOME Free!!!!!!!!

(They know we are suckers for "family"... wouldn't want to separate child from parents... and aunts and uncles and... )

I may not agree with Trump on everything... (and some of those things i disagree on are... HUGE...)

but i have been thinking this for years... WHY do we do this?

and don't give me that stupid line about how a lot of US business persons use the illegals for cheap labor...

that has nothing to do wtih the topic at hand

and by the way, those businesses should be made to help pay for the Wall (and/ or whatever else is needed)

+++

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yeh, that's a way to discourage illegals crossing the border... tell them if they just have a baby, once they make it to our side, they are HOME Free!!!!!!!!

(They know we are suckers for "family"... wouldn't want to separate child from parents... and aunts and uncles and... )

I may not agree with Trump on everything... (and some of those things i disagree on are... HUGE...)

and don't give me that stupid line about how a lot of US business persons use the illegals for cheap labor...

and by the way, those businesses should be made to help pay for the Wall (and/ or whatever else is needed)

+++

Why? Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

True, yet i do not believe the intent was to allow foreigners to cross the boarder illegally and then have their children naturalized citizens?

It was to end the issue of the legality of past slaves.

We could have a a bill to make this point clear/

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
True, yet i do not believe the intent was to allow foreigners to cross the boarder illegally and then have their children naturalized citizens?

It was to end the issue of the legality of past slaves.

We could have a a bill to make this point clear/

Youre correct.

The Fourteenth Amendment provides that children born in the United States become American citizens regardless of the citizenship of their parents.[50] At the time of the amendment's passage, three Senators, including Trumbull,[51] the author of the Civil Rights Act, as well as President Andrew Johnson, asserted that both the Civil Rights Act and the Fourteenth Amendment would confer citizenship on such children at birth; however, Senator Edgar Cowan of Pennsylvania had a definitively contrary opinion.[52][53][54][55]

These congressional remarks applied to non-citizens lawfully present in the United States, as the problem of unauthorized immigration did not exist in 1866, and some scholars dispute whether the Citizenship Clause applies to unauthorized immigrants, although the law of the land continues to be based on the standard interpretation.[50]

Congress during the 21st century has occasionally discussed revising the clause to reduce the practice of "birth tourism", in which a pregnant foreign national gives birth in the United States for purposes of the child's citizenship.[56]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

The law was not intended to protect those who illegally enter to give birth - but those who were legally here already and did so.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Conservatives revere the 2nd Amendment as if it were one of the 10 Commandments, so they shouldn't expect Democrats to throw their support behind repealing the 14th Amendment any time soon.

Trump is just throwing "red meat" to the conservative base in the full knowledge that it has little or no chance of it ever being repealed.

Supposedly this unworkable policy is to deflect attention away from the criticism that Trump is all "sizzle" but no "steak."

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Unless and until an amendment to the amendment was to be ratified, the fourteenth amendment stands as law.
As of 2011, United States Federal law (8 U.S.C. § 1401) defines who is a United States citizen from birth. The following are among those listed there as persons who shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

• "a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" or
  • "a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe" (see Indian Citizenship Act of 1924).
  • "a person of unknown parentage found in the United States while under the age of five years, until shown, prior to his attaining the age of twenty-one years, not to have been born in the United States"
  • "a person born in an outlying possession of the United States of parents one of whom is a citizen of the United States who has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year at any time prior to the birth of such person"

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Yes, i hope so. I actually favor legal immigration. I do not like the idea of illegals earning here and sending the money back home and I really dislike the idea of illegals engaged in criminal enterprise

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Conservatives revere the 2nd Amendment as if it were one of the 10 Commandments, so they shouldn't expect Democrats to throw their support behind repealing the 14th Amendment

So, you are saying that because the Democrats dislike the 2nd amendment proponents, they must fight against all debate on the 14th amendment?

That is like a 'tit for tat' argument.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Ms. Repubchick,

i suggested some time ago and still believe it would be better and easier for you to have one HUGE thread. you could have surpassed the 'Creation vs Evolution" thread
in the last 6 months ! ! !

you could simply call it Repubchick or whatever. your fans and followers would have a much easier time keeping up with your posts, your thoughts, opinions, beliefs etc. we could really tune in to you and the subject can change anytime
i think TOL is clamouring for you to be in the spotlight with the BIGGEST LONGEST THREAD Ever ! ! !

if i were you, I'd start yesterday -

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

At that time, there was no such thing as illegal immigration. That's a fairly new concept for America.

So no, that wasn't even in their minds; they didn't see that kind of restriction as consistent with a free nation. All that mattered to them was that someone born here was by right, a citizen.

republicanchick

I agree with Trump that that is UNCONSTITIONAL as written. The 14th A was written for Blacks who were being treated as noncitizens... wasn't written to cover just any yahoo who wants a US citizen in the family & doesn't want to do things the legal way

That "law" has the potential to destroy this country, as jihadists come here and multiply

++

shagster01

+++

What makes you an American and the anchor baby not one?

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
I agree with Trump that that is UNCONSTITIONAL as written. The 14th A was written for Blacks who were being treated as noncitizens... wasn't written to cover just any yahoo who wants a US citizen in the family & doesn't want to do things the legal way

That "law" has the potential to destroy this country, as jihadists come here and multiply

++
Second Amendment
************************************************************************************************************

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
- as passed by the Congress and preserved in the National Archives, with the rest of the original hand-written copy of the Bill of Rights prepared by scribe William Lambert

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
- as ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, then-Secretary of State

The same argument could be made that the 2nd Amendment was not written with the same intent that the NRA and the gun enthusiasts have currently ascribed to it.

The number of innocent victims that have died as a result of America's "gun culture" far outnumbers whatever dangers that could be attributed to a whole army of "jihadists!"