Should privately owned businesses be forced to serve EVERYONE?

jzeidler

When he calls people names, the guy who started the thread ignores it.

I'm not going to baby this thread. I put them up in hopes that each person is mature enough to be respectful of their fellow human beings. I will not be looking at every individual post but I'll call people out who are disrespectful when I see them so that others know that on this thread respect for each other is valued.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would like to think that while I do weave insults into my posts, I attempt to refrain from dedicating an entire post to it. Honestly, name one way Lighthouse contributed to the discussion at all outside of being intentionally disruptive. (Which, by the way, you mods seem to have no problem docking liberals for but celebrate it when your own do it. Not that I am entirely surprised.)

This goes for everyone so yes. If people aren't going to speak to each other with respect they have no business on this thread.

While I agree that name calling with no substance is annoying, utilizing the ignore function would save you time and aggravation.

Quetzal

While I agree that name calling with no substance is annoying, utilizing the ignore function would save you time and aggravation.
That is fair, but I always thought it the job of mods to maintain and take action against repeat offenders to keep discussions on topic and relevant.

bybee

I would like to think that while I do weave insults into my posts, I attempt to refrain from dedicating an entire post to it. Honestly, name one way Lighthouse contributed to the discussion at all outside of being intentionally disruptive. (Which, by the way, you mods seem to have no problem docking liberals for but celebrate it when your own do it. Not that I am entirely surprised.)

I consider myself more of a centrist.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Coward

Idiot

Idiot

Idiot
Can you connect with your "inner adult"?

What sort of family did you grow up in anyway?

Clearly it was not a family that valued respect, caring and fairness.

Learn to give mature criticism and leave the name-calling to others, please.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Speak for yourself. :loser:
I speak for America and its founders.

The original Boston Tea Party of 1773 was a nonviolent protest by the colonies against the East India Tea Company, a global corporation in its day.

History is instructive. I think it is astonishing that most high school graduates know so little about it today. And Christians with any idea of their own traditions of history? Don't get me started!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Millennials Would Vote for a Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative ?

Millennials Would Vote for a Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative ?

see my thread
On this topic, I am sure most know where I stand.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, and "I didn't feel like selling something" is not based on race, color, religion, or national origin. I would add sexual orientation to that list as well. So you have nothing.
To me you're just determined to close your eyes. Maybe this will help...say you were born mute, but every time you see a black man you spit at him, grimace and raise a middle finger. You don't respond the same to white men, Native Americans, people of Latin origin, etc.

But a black man walks by and you spit and grimace and gesture emphatically.

Are we left, by virtue of your inability to speak, to only wonder if you have a specific problem with blacks?

Of course not.

Conduct can be speech. Habit can be used as evidence. And the law doesn't say that you must admit a blessed thing, only calls for the thing alleged to be demonstrated subject to the level of proof.

Mocking You

say you were born mute, but every time you see a black man you spit at him, grimace and raise...

Supposing on Monday I decline to sell to a Caucasian, on Tuesday A Native American, a black on Wednesday, an Eskimo on Thursday, and a Cambodian on Friday. When asked why I didn't sell to them I say "They were the 13th customer to come in my shop. I never sell to the 13th customer, it's bad luck."

Could I be sued? On what grounds?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Supposing on Monday I decline to sell to a Caucasian, on Tuesday A Native American, a black on Wednesday, an Eskimo on Thursday, and a Cambodian on Friday. When asked why I didn't sell to them I say "They were the 13th customer to come in my shop. I never sell to the 13th customer, it's bad luck."

Could I be sued? On what grounds?
I didn't say that any denial of service would be grounds. What I've said and what remains true is that a simple denial can be overcome by data indicating a discriminatory practice.

In some states if you think you've been denied, say, housing over race you can call a service that will send people of different races but otherwise identical credentials to that same place of business making inquiries to begin to establish the case.

Mocking You

I didn't say that any denial of service would be grounds. What I've said and what remains true is that a simple denial can be overcome by data indicating a discriminatory practice.

And I've been saying all along that "I didn't feel like selling to this person" absent any pattern of discrimination is not illegal.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And I've been saying all along that "I didn't feel like selling to this person" absent any pattern of discrimination is not illegal.
Well if there's no pattern what you say or don't say is of no moment and if there is, same answer. Or, it's about what you do. "I don't feel like it" isn't going to work as a shield. It's immaterial to the point.

Mocking You

Well if there's no pattern what you say or don't say is of no moment and if there is, same answer. Or, it's about what you do. "I don't feel like it" isn't going to work as a shield. It's immaterial to the point.

My example of "I didn't feel like it" was meant to convey there was no pattern and to show that a business owner doesn't have to sell to everyone.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My example of "I didn't feel like it" was meant to convey there was no pattern and to show that a business owner doesn't have to sell to everyone.
Ah, we've spent a good deal of time talking past each other then. :think: :chuckle:

TOL, sometimes it's funnier when it isn't supposed to be. :D

Mocking You

Ah, we've spent a good deal of time talking past each other then. :think: :chuckle:

Yes, I think so.

Your point of a pattern of discrimination could exist regardless of what was said by the business owner or regardless of the owner's motivation was a good point. I do think business owners should serve everyone but the use of the word "force" in the OP got my dander up.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, I think so.

Your point of a pattern of discrimination could exist regardless of what was said by the business owner or regardless of the owner's motivation was a good point. I do think business owners should serve everyone but the use of the word "force" in the OP got my dander up.
Well, any conversation that ends in a greater understanding is a worthwhile endeavor. :cheers:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If you are not going to speak to people with respect I politely ask you to leave this thread. Thank you.
#1 Welcome to TOL.

#2 I was being respectful. If I didn't respect him I would let him continue to be ignorant instead of pointing it out.

Can you connect with your "inner adult"?

What sort of family did you grow up in anyway?

Clearly it was not a family that valued respect, caring and fairness.

Learn to give mature criticism and leave the name-calling to others, please.
:allsmile: