You Can't Beat Something With Nothing

Quetzal

_____
donation
1. an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.
2. a gift, as to a fund; contribution.
_____​

You purchased specific goods to be delivered to a specific address on a specific schedule.
You are a purchaser of the goods from the magazine distributor.

The Federal government presents grants and contributions to Planned Parenthood, but is not a purchaser of goods nor of services.
Actually, I am pretty sure it is, just not in a traditional sense. I am certain there are conditions to receiving those grants. They are not simply giving money to PP for no reason with no strings attached. The government is actively supporting their research and the services they provide to the populace. If I had to guess, PP probably has to re-apply annually (or every so many years) to continue to obtain those grants. One of the conditions of that application process is a display of research and services they have provided.

To be fair, this is all just an educated guess, but this has been my experience so far in regards to grants to government supported programs. They give a department money, that department produces results X and/or Y, or they no longer get the money.

jeffblue101

Actually, I am pretty sure it is, just not in a traditional sense. I am certain there are conditions to receiving those grants. They are not simply giving money to PP for no reason with no strings attached. The government is actively supporting their research and the services they provide to the populace. If I had to guess, PP probably has to re-apply annually (or every so many years) to continue to obtain those grants. One of the conditions of that application process is a display of research and services they have provided.

To be fair, this is all just an educated guess, but this has been my experience so far in regards to grants to government supported programs. They give a department money, that department produces results X and/or Y, or they no longer get the money.
How exactly is that different from donations that come with strings attached. More offen than not, most come with strings and mission assurance from the persons reciving the donation.

Granite

Hall of Fame

It must vary state to state. In NH, the executive council pretty much determined after the video imbroglio to refuse federal dollars earmarked for Planned Parenthood, killing PP's contract in New Hampshire.

Proving the point of this thread, absolutely no alternatives were proposed by the council to fill the void for those services no longer able to be offered by PP clinics.

Quetzal

How exactly is that different from donations that come with strings attached. More offen than not, most come with strings and mission assurance from the persons reciving the donation.
For starters, I would believe one is verified with a contract and one isn't. I would be under the impression that when there is a donation made, there isn't anything in writing. It is an implied "Hey, I support what you do, see what you can do for me in the future." Whereas with a grant it is a bit more concrete with stipulations, "Hey, I support what you do and if you want more of this money/support to be guaranteed I need to see evidence of A, B, and C."

Quetzal

It must vary state to state. In NH, the executive council pretty much determined after the video imbroglio to refuse federal dollars earmarked for Planned Parenthood, killing PP's contract in New Hampshire.

Proving the point of this thread, absolutely no alternatives were proposed by the council to fill the void for those services no longer able to be offered by PP clinics.
I would agree and my experience is extremely limited and is in another field of study all together (education). So, I am sure there are differences and I do not claim to be an expert in grants. We have grant writers for that. :chuckle:

jeffblue101

Stop lying for PP
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/422304/planned-parenthood-new-hampshire-defund-chris-sununu
Sununu, who is considering a bid for governor of New Hampshire, had previously voted to allot a portion of Title X funds for Planned Parenthood “that go to very important health-care needs,” he says. Although Sununu has “never been a fan” of Planned Parenthood, he says that in his district, its clinics are women’s “only choice” for certain health services.

The launch of the congressional investigation, however, prompted Sununu to search for alternative providers. He asked the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services to aid in his search.

New Hampshire has a variety of clinics and hospitals with different services and specializations. “The options are definitely there,” Sununu says. “We need to entice those providers to bid” on this newly available contract, especially because “more-rural areas do have sparser health care.”

Sununu laments that Democrats in his sate “seem to go out of their way to ignore” the urgent questions raised by the videos released by CMP. Governor Maggie Hassan has refused to investigate New Hampshire’s Planned Parenthood clinics based on what she calls “a rumor.” “We do not launch criminal investigations in the state of New Hampshire because somebody edits a tape,” she said. Hassan declined to help expand women’s alternatives to Planned Parenthood.

That decision “made no sense,” Sununu says. “It was beyond belief. How providing choices is ever a negative thing, I can’t imagine. She’s trying to justify the monopolistic position Planned Parenthood has put themselves in.”

The councilor does not view the debate over funding Planned Parenthood as a pro-choice versus pro-life issue — the issue is whether the law is being violated, he says. “Particularly on the Republican side, it’s not political, since our politicians don’t receive campaign donations from Planned Parenthood,” he says. “The governor’s misplaced passion for the organization indicates politics.”
There is only one reason why liberals are holding up the process to find alternatives and that is PP provides and lobbies for abortions.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Your post gives a false impression on what is happening in NH after PP was defunded. Those who are responsible for defunding PP are indeed looking for alternatives

They suggested that alternatives be found, and that's it. There is no active investigation or interest on the part of Republicans in the state house to do this at all, they detest Governor Hassan, and both sides are locked in a very nasty budget struggle right now. The state GOP is not going to make finding alternative sources of contraception and STD treatment a priority.

jeffblue101

Sununu is a moron. He claims there are alternatives out there and then claims PP is a monopoly. You cannot have both.

He never said that. Instead he said PP has monopolzied the market and now he is personaluly looking for replacements after defunding. Please dont misrepresents someone's words to make a faulty claim of condradiction

Quetzal

He never said that. Instead he said PP has monopolzied the market and now he is personaluly looking for replacements after defunding. Please dont misrepresents someone's words to make a faulty claim of condradiction
Yeah, we certainly wouldn't want that on this forum, now would we? ;) Also, how have they monopolized the market?

jeffblue101

They suggested that alternatives be found, and that's it. There is no active investigation or interest on the part of Republicans in the state house to do this at all, they detest Governor Hassan, and both sides are locked in a very nasty budget struggle right now. The state GOP is not going to make finding alternative sources of contraception and STD treatment a priority.

How is it the rebulicans fault that alternatives wont be found fast enough when Hassan refused to help?

Granite

Hall of Fame
How is it the rebulicans fault that alternatives wont be found fast enough when Hassan refused to help?

That's a pretty big mischaracterization (typical of Chris Sununu--the family's a pack of snakes in the grass). PP was meeting the needs of the public already. There was no need to actively seek out any kind of alternatives. Things were working just fine in my state.

Then this video fiasco hit, and Planned Parenthood got radioactive real quick. Quick civics lesson: The executive council is an elected group of five who serve to check the governor's power in New Hampshire. The governor doesn't have the ability to override the council's veto when it comes to state contracts. (The governor of NH actually has quite limited authority and deals with the fourth largest elected body of representatives in the world.) To say Hassan "refused to help" implies she has far more power than she does, or that there was a pre-existing problem she should've tried to fix. This issue is self-inflicted by the GOP (they hold a 3-2 advantage in the council) and to dump this on the governor's frankly a big crock.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Federal Government's dealings with Planned Parenthood fits very well with the traditional definition of donations, but poorly with the traditional definition of purchase.

Well, again: No, they don't. You don't seem to understand what you're talking about.

genuineoriginal

Well, again: No, they don't. You don't seem to understand what you're talking about.
Planned Parenthood is the recipient of Title X Grants from the Federal Government.

In case you have no clue (as always) about what that is, here is the definition:

_____
grant
1. a sum of money given by an organization, especially a government, for a particular purpose.

synonyms:
endowment, subvention, award, donation, bursary, allowance, subsidy, contribution, handout, allocation, gift;
_____​
A grant is a donation, plain and simple.

You may not have noticed, but the word "purchase" is not one of the synonyms for "grant", but "donation" is a synonym.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Planned Parenthood is the recipient of Title X Grants from the Federal Government.

In case you have no clue (as always) about what that is, here is the definition:

_____
grant
1. a sum of money given by an organization, especially a government, for a particular purpose.

synonyms:
endowment, subvention, award, donation, bursary, allowance, subsidy, contribution, handout, allocation, gift;
_____​
A grant is a donation, plain and simple.

You may not have noticed, but the word "purchase" is not one of the synonyms for "grant", but "donation" is a synonym.

Resorting to a dictionary when you're clueless just makes you look like a bigger boob.