unions protecting bad cops

journey

Most government workers don't make very much money (i.e. police officers and school teachers). Their benefits help, but many of them pay for some of their own benefits on a group basis which makes it cheaper. Every organization is different, so it's hard to say how much each union worker pays for his or her own benefits (i.e. pension and health insurance).

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
... they took the responsibility of paying for my private schooling.

Were the teachers at your private school members of the Teacher's Union?

It probably had to do with the fact that my dad's union job paid two to three times more than that on non-union workers.

Yet your dad knew that you would receive a better education at a school that was taught by non-union teachers over a public school taught by union teachers.

Do you own your own house?

If so, and you need a new roof, are you going to call a union roofing company or a non-union roofing company?

HINT: The non-union roofing company will be about 33% the cost of what the union roofing company will be.

Who you going to use?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so all this time
you have been giving me grief
and
you don't know what can or can't be done in congress

do you know how many years they had control of the senate during the bush years?

do you know what that means?

I will tell you
others may be listening

not many here who could answer these questions

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Were the teachers at your private school members of the Teacher's Union?

I don't know. I was a teenager and didn't ask. At that time,there weren't as many private schools. My sister's experience at the school that was in my district was not a good one due to the students, not the teachers.

Yet your dad knew that you would receive a better education at a school that was taught by non-union teachers over a public school taught by union teachers.

It was my mother's idea. She was a Christian, and a busdriver for the public school district. She asked if I was interested in visiting one for the day, and I was. It was preferable for *me* even though that wasn't the private school I ended up attending.

Do you own your own house?

Yes.

If so, and you need a new roof, are you going to call a union roofing company or a non-union roofing company?

HINT: The non-union roofing company will be about 33% the cost of what the union roofing company will be.

Who you going to use?

My ex-brother-in-law and my nephew. Luckily for me, my ex-brother-in-law was able to retire early thanks to the high salary he received from his ... union job. He wouldn't even have to schedule me in. :)

journey

Just for information, most of the cops that unions protect are good cops who have been falsely accused.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't know.

Private schools don't hire union teachers.

It's why the Teacher's Union is so vehemently opposed to school vouchers.

Don't you see how hypocritical your education was?

Your union father sent you to a non-union school for a better education.

What about all the poor African-American kids who don't have parents that can afford to send them to a private school?

Those poor African-American kids are forced to attend a really crappy public school (that is taught by union teachers).

PureX

Your union father sent you to a non-union school for a better education.

What about all the poor African-American kids who don't have parents that can afford to send them to a private school?

Those poor African-American kids are forced to attend a really crappy public school (that is taught by union teachers).
You're assuming that private schools are better because they are non-union. That's a biased assumption that you have no evidence to support.

I went to a non-union private grade school. If it was better (and that's debatable) it was far more likely because it was smaller, and it could choose it's students. Whereas the public grade school had to handle more students per classroom and could not choose to reject problem students. Also, the private schools did not suffer from the absurd and ineffective oversight of political cronies placed in patronage jobs in the administration sucking up all the tax dollars spent on education.

Paying teachers a decent wage certainly does not harm education. Nor does protecting them from the idiocy and abuse of inefficient and politically motivated administrators. It's not the unions that are harming public education. It's parents who won't parent their kids, and the abuses of political cronyism within the administration of public education.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

No. Hypocritical would have been whining about the public schools that I DID attend from K through 6th.

Here's an idea: Don't like or wish to utilize public schools, send *your* child to a private school. IF you are unable or unwilling to afford it, home school.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You're assuming that private schools are better because they are non-union.

They are.

In fact, everything private non-union is better than union.

Look at what happened on 09/11.

Over two million square feet of the Pentagon was rebuilt in less than a year by non-union contractors.

In New York, the union contractors STILL are not finished, and it's been almost 14 years.

The Empire State Building was completed in less than a year by non-union contractors. If they had used union contractors, it probably would have taken 25 years.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Don't like or wish to utilize public schools, send *your* child to a private school.

That's what everyone wants. Everyone wants school choice and vouchers.

However, if that ever would happen, it would be the end of the Teacher's union because no parent would send their children to a school taught by union teachers.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's what everyone wants. Everyone wants school choice and vouchers.

However, if that ever would happen, it would be the end of the Teacher's union because no parent would send their children to a school taught by union teachers.

They aren't be taught by *unions*. They are being taught by teachers.

Now, I will ask you the same question I asked Chrys way back and we can see how honestly you answer.

IF you had the choice between making a job at minimum wage or a a few bucks above minimum wage, no benefits VS a union job that starts at three to four times the hourly wage of the other job plus full benefits, including pension and retirement, which would you chose?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
They aren't be taught by *unions*. They are being taught by teachers.

The teachers are the union.

And because the teachers union is embedded with the Democrats, the union teachers have no problem indoctrinating school children with Progressive Liberal propaganda.

Which is another reason people send their kids to private schools.

No Progressive Liberal propaganda is taught an non-union private schools.

Now, I will ask you the same question I asked Chrys way back and we can see how honestly you answer.

IF you had the choice between making a job at minimum wage or a a few bucks above minimum wage, no benefits VS a union job that starts at three to four times the hourly wage of the other job plus full benefits, including pension and retirement, which would you chose?

I'm your worst nightmare.

I quit the union 20 years ago.

Walked away from my pension, savings fund, and healthcare.

It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Had I stayed, I would still be doing the exact same thing I was doing 20 years ago.

Today, I own my own company with 8 employees (non-union of course)

I still carry my union card in my wallet (for laughs)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's just idiotic nonsense. You ought to be ashamed of writing something that biased and foolish.

Do you want to know why all the tech companies in Silicon Valley have been so successful?

Answer: All non-union

Do you want to know why there are virtually no steel mills in the USA anymore?

Answer: the workers were all union members.

PureX

Do you want to know why all the tech companies in Silicon Valley have been so successful?

Answer: All non-union
:mock: Because there couldn't possible be any OTHER reasons! :chuckle:
Do you want to know why there are virtually no steel mills in the USA anymore?

Answer: the workers were all union members.

What a tool!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Please tell us.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA, where more steel was produced here during WWII than in Germany and Japan combined.

I was born here, raised here, and have lived here my entire life. I remember the steel mills when I was a kid in the 1960's

Today, there is ONE steel mill still in operation in the entire county

Ask any former steel worker what happened, and they will all tell you the unions ruined it.

My dad had a white collar job at Untied States Steel. He's knows first hand that the unions are the reason all the steel mills shut down, and are gone.

PureX

Please tell us.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA, where more steel was produced here during WWII than in Germany and Japan combined.

I was born here, raised here, and have lived here my entire life. I remember the steel mills when I was a kid in the 1960's
I live in Erie PA., and worked in a steel mill when I was a kid.

What you don't want to understand is that those mills were built in the 1930s. They met their heyday during WW2, and were becoming tired and outdated by the 1950s.

But the investors didn't want to surrender their big profits to building new buildings and updating equipment. They just wanted those big profits to roll on forever. And while they neglected their plants, and fought with their laborers, other countries were building brand new state of the art plants that could produce better steel more cost effectively, and were paying their laborers fairly. And by the end of the 1960s, those plants were producing most of the world's steel, while our old antiquated plants were falling apart.

The foolish owners and investors, of course, blamed everything on the unions because they'd always hated the unions and because they didn't want to admit that it was their own greed and stupidity that brought them down. But the truth is that just as with the auto industry, size and success had created lethargy, and greed supplanted wisdom among the second generation CEOs and investors (who did not build these industries, themselves), and so they fell into irrelevancy while other nations were learning how to do things better and cheaper.
Today, there is ONE steel mill still in operation in the entire county
Oh, you must mean the Finkle Steel Plant in Chicago? They seem to be doing quite well. But then they make specialty steels that the other countries don't have the expertise to produce.
Ask any former steel worker what happened, and they will all tell you the unions ruined it.
I worked at National Forge and Steel in Erie PA. in the 70s when the plant was closing, and I was a member of the union. And I don't recall anyone ever saying that. What I recall was that the plant had not been updated significantly since it was built in the 30s, except for some EPA required changes in the late 60s. And so it simply couldn't compete with the new, efficient, modern plants around the world.
My dad had a white collar job at Untied States Steel. He's knows first hand that the unions are the reason all the steel mills shut down, and are gone.
He was management, so I guess he wasn't biased against the unions, right?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Where's that one?

I said "county", not country.

In Allegheny county (where Pittsburgh is located), there is only one steel mill left.

Edgar Thomson Steel Works

BTW, the Edgar Thomson Works is where the famous riot took place with 300 Pinkerton guards brought in by Henry Frick in 1892 at Andrew Carnegie's steel mill. 10 men were killed. The history channel recently did a good job on it in their series "The Men who Built America"

The event kind of was the birthplace of the unions.

Unions were great in the late 1800's and early 1900's. They were vital in creating the 40 hour work week, abolishing child labor, creating a safe work environment, overtime, sick days, weekends, etc. But then they turned into what they set out to defeat in the first place.

Now the union heads are making all the big money, and they are embedded with one political party.

Last edited: