Bigot businessowner punishes peaceful marijuana users

musterion

I doubt it. They will just be more creative in how they hide the usage.

If they're impaired, which is the point of smoking it, it won't matter. They'll out themselves eventually.

His choice of states suggests he's taken paranoid pothead subterfuge into account. Minimized loser risk + biz friendly state = better off.

rexlunae

As you say, his business his rules, and I thank you for affirming that.

I see no reason to believe he lied about potheads. There's much simpler ways to make a personal statement against pot than going through the immense trouble of shutting down and moving cross country, as some conspirators seem to think. Was it the only business problem he was having? Likely not. But no reason to believe it wasn't already a problem that was sure to get worse.

I'll lay even money this won't be the last time it happens.

I'm not saying he's lying. I'm saying that his perspective is skewed, and he isn't taking responsibility for the choices he makes. Either he's not screening candidates appropriately, or he's not making clear his expectations clear to them, or he's simply not paying enough to hire the quality of employee he wants. It all comes back to choices that he makes, and it strikes me as unreasonable to blame so many different people for choices that they make in their own lives.

musterion

I'm not saying he's lying. I'm saying that his perspective is skewed, and he isn't taking responsibility for the choices he makes. Either he's not screening candidates appropriately, or he's not making clear his expectations clear to them, or he's simply not paying enough to hire the quality of employee he wants. It all comes back to choices that he makes, and it strikes me as unreasonable to blame so many different people for choices that they make in their own lives.

It's all his fault. Potheads absolved. Got it.

elohiym

Absolved of what? Exercise of their own sovereignty over their bodies?

He blames the pot heads for forcing him to move his business.

Musterion calls marijuana usage "sorcery," but he doesn't seem to have a problem with a business creating and selling sorcerers, witches, demons and various other visions of evil for haunted houses.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If they're impaired, which is the point of smoking it, it won't matter. They'll out themselves eventually.

Unless they come to work high, how would they be impaired? FTR, I think anyone who goes to their job high on legal or illegal drugs OR someone who has been influenced by the use of alcohol should be fired.

His choice of states suggests he's taken paranoid pothead subterfuge into account. Minimized loser risk + biz friendly state = better off.

Again, his choice to make. I am really not concerned with how his new venture works or doesn't work for him or how his relocation has affected his past employees.

musterion

He blames the pot heads for forcing him to move his business.

Musterion calls marijuana usage "sorcery," but he doesn't seem to have a problem with a business creating and selling sorcerers, witches, demons and various other visions of evil for haunted houses.

Red herring and straw man all in one. Irrelevant to the core issue: potheads were costing him money, so he moved. He could make upholstery or waffles for all the difference it'd make, which is none.

You argue like a user.

rexlunae

Not at the expense of others, like an employer.

The recourse of the employer, generally, is limited to termination of employment, not control of the employee's body. You wouldn't, for instance, like an employer deciding that too many of their employees were fat and therefore seeking to ban doughnuts. While you are employed, your employer has a say over what you do with your body, and beyond that, it's none of their business.

And being hung over is also a form of being impaired.

Agreed.

whitestone

I think he actually is in for a big surprise moving. Drug testing kits cost about .28(cents) if you get bulk but there useless. Most times when it was admitted to me that my employees were doing drugs were when they were leaving to another job. I have been told multiple times that if they were to take drug test to keep their jobs then they would instead of smoking pot take mushrooms,Ecstasy,l.s.d.,ect.(things the test cant find),,,sure sign is if you see them mixing gaiter aid with sure gel(their detoxing from smoking crack/cocaine the night before).

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:rolleyes: I hate to break up this little pile of :cow::pureX: with facts but:

Prop company owner clears the air on why he relocated to Grand Strand

"The Brawmer family feels what's being said has been taken completely out of context. The family behind Little Spider Creations admits they did have a few instances where people came to work after smoking marijuana.

But those employees were reprimanded, and it had nothing to do with why they left.

"I want to set the record straight, and say that the reason why we moved here was because we fell in love with the location, but at the same time, the warehouse space was a major issue that we were running into," Tony Brawmer said."

shagster01

Being that he is quoted in both versions of the story saying both things, it's clear, in my opinion, that he was grand standing on the pot thing at first until it became a bigger story than he realized and he had to back peddle with the truth when reasonable people started to dig deeper into what he was claiming.

musterion

The recourse of the employer, generally, is limited to termination of employment, not control of the employee's body. You wouldn't, for instance, like an employer deciding that too many of their employees were fat and therefore seeking to ban doughnuts. While you are employed, your employer has a say over what you do with your body, and beyond that, it's none of their business.

Not sure who here said otherwise.

musterion

He was not taken out of context. He said what he said:

The main reason we pulled out was because of marijuana, " Brawner said. "Marijuana got into our industry. Half of the sculptors will come in high. As soon as we'd catch it, they'd be let go. We went through 25 sculptors. Only five of [our sculptors] either were quality or would show up unimpaired."

Brawner says you could definitely see the difference in employees' work when they were high. He says they were just not as productive and had an "it's-good-enough" attitude.

So he's now found reason to backpedal and is contradicting what he said before, and so cannot be believed on anything he says. But he was not taken out of context.