How plumbing (not vaccines) eradicated disease

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
This is what you claimed: "Vaccine injuries would have to be rare because I and everyone I know has had them with no ill effects."

That fallacy is called a hasty generalization.

Something like over 90% of the population have had multiple vaccinations. If vaccines are so dangerous, how have so few fallen ill from vaccine injuries?

elohiym

Why should adults in the U.S. get tetanus boosters every ten years when the scientific consensus is that 5 tetanus vaccinations allegedly provides lifetime immunity? Children in the U.S. receive 5 tetanus vaccinations. Ponder that.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Something like over 90% of the population have had multiple vaccinations. If vaccines are so dangerous, how have so few fallen ill from vaccine injuries?

You don't know that, and can't prove it.

You don't know how many have fallen sick, so how can you ask?

I'm willing to discuss facts, not whatever you imagine.
Here are some stats:

The National Immunization Survey does provide an ongoing survey of immunization coverage of preschoolers, showing that in 2009:

*Less than 1 percent of children received no vaccinations
*Coverage levels for poliovirus (92.8%), MMR (90.0%), HepB (92.4%), and the chicken pox vaccine (89.6%) continued to hold at or above 90%
*About 84% of preschool-age kids get all four of the recommended doses they should have by 19 to 35 months of age
*Immunization coverage for other vaccines, including rotavirus, heptatis A, and the pneumococcal vaccine, all increased​

-- http://pediatrics.about.com/od/immunizationschedule/a/immunization_schedules_statistics.htm

elohiym

Here are some stats:

A survey of preschoolers doesn't support your claim about the entire population of the U.S. And keep in mind, the current issue in the news that has started these vaccination discussions is the bogus claim that declining vaccination rates are allegedly causing disease outbreaks.

What do you hope to prove? It seems you are wasting time on a point that doesn't matter much, if at all.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
A survey of preschoolers doesn't support your claim about the entire population of the U.S...What do you hope to prove? It seems you are wasting time on a point that doesn't matter much, if at all.

I'm trying to understand how immunization can be harmful when I've been exposed to it so much and it hasn't harmed me. All members of the military are immunized at great length and I don't see them falling ill from it:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blvaccinations.htm

elohiym

I'm trying to understand how immunization can be harmful...

Which immunization specifically? If you don't separate them, you aren't going to get good, useful answers.

Let's stick with the measles vaccine that is included in the MMR. How you understand immunization for measles can be harmful is you read the scientific literature, like this:

The highest risk of association with aseptic meningitis was observed within the third week after immunisation with Urabe-containing MMR (risk ratio (RR) 14.28; 95% confidence interval (CI) from 7.93 to 25.71) and within the third (RR 22.5; 95% CI 11.8 to 42.9) or fifth (RR 15.6; 95% CI 10.3 to 24.2) weeks after immunisation with the vaccine prepared with the Leningrad-Zagreb strain. A significant risk of association with febrile seizures and MMR exposure during the two previous weeks (RR 1.10; 95% CI 1.05 to 1.15) was assessed in one large person-time cohort study involving 537,171 children aged between three months and five year of age. Increased risk of febrile seizure has also been observed in children aged between 12 to 23 months (relative incidence (RI) 4.09; 95% CI 3.1 to 5.33) and children aged 12 to 35 months (RI 5.68; 95% CI 2.31 to 13.97) within six to 11 days after exposure to MMR vaccine. An increased risk of thrombocytopenic purpura within six weeks after MMR immunisation in children aged 12 to 23 months was assessed in one case-control study (RR 6.3; 95% CI 1.3 to 30.1) and in one small self controlled case series (incidence rate ratio (IRR) 5.38; 95% CI 2.72 to 10.62). Increased risk of thrombocytopenic purpura within six weeks after MMR exposure was also assessed in one other case-control study involving 2311 children and adolescents between one month and 18 years (odds ratio (OR) 2.4; 95% CI 1.2 to 4.7).​

See? It can be harmful. You have to compare those risks against the risks associated with a measles infection. It seems obvious to me there are more risks associated with the vaccine than with a natural measles infection alone. Do you have evidence the risks are higher for those complications with a natural measles infection? No? Shouldn't you have that information before you argue with me or inject a child?