Common Core

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Common Core Standards: Why States Are Now Saying, 'No, Thank You' Takepart.com ] "All but four states have adopted the complete Common Core Standards.

Those four states—Texas, Virginia, Alaska, and Nebraska—have been slow to warm to the uniform, but divisive, national standards for public school testing. Minnesota chose to adopt only the reading standards and declined the math standards.

Meanwhile, several other states, according to the Associated Press, are pushing back against the standards after formally adopting them, and heated politics are now seeping into the controversy.

Edward Fierros, a Villanova education professor, told TakePart that the standards have both “ardent supporters and loud critics.”

He said, “Many educational experts agree that the CCSS in and of themselves will have a limited impact on improving student learning outcomes. However, states that fail to adopt CCSS or similar lose their eligibility for federal Race to the Top funds or NCLB waivers. States are required to adopt college and career-ready standards, and the CCSS are one way to demonstrate this goal. What is unclear is if states lose their eligibility for federal Race to the Top funds or NCLB waivers if they have already received such funding or been granted an NCLB waiver.”

Earlier this month, Indiana Republican Gov. Mike Pence suspended his state’s adoption of the Common Core. He signed the Common Core “Pause” bill into law, which stops the implementation of the standards until state agencies, teachers, and taxpayers better understand what is at stake..." Full text: Common Core Standards: Why States Are Now Saying, 'No, Thank You' Pr 22:6

Also see:

Malkin confirms Fla. schools conducted iris scans without parental consent

Common Core

CommonCoreFails.com

Last edited:

WoundedEgo

The Common Core standards were developed from teacher input and are awesome. They place more emphasis on reasoning and critical thinking than on selecting the correct letter on the page.

Last night I was helping my son with his algebra. One question had an A, B, C or D multiple choice answer. To the best of our ability we could not decide which was correct because they all appeared wrong. He said, "I guess I'll put C". I said, "NO", put that "they are all wrong". Because you can defend that answer." So that is what he put. That will be more useful to him as a Neuro-Surgeon (his goal) than guessing at a multiple choice that makes no sense to him. And this is finally being recognized by educators. Children need to *think* and *reason* and refuse to *guess*.

I'm sure you will miss Bush's "No Child Left Behind" because it came from a Repub but the fact is that it has left **millions and millions** of children behind because it was top down bureaucratic crap.

Besides, you're not a teacher, and possibly not a parent....

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
WoundedEgo, the above isn't really link dropping. The secondary links are updates to the original story. That seems reasonable to me.

Jabin

The Common Core standards were developed from teacher input and are awesome. They place more emphasis on reasoning and critical thinking than on selecting the correct letter on the page.

No one who loves righteousness and freedom could support Common Core. So, WoundedEgo, I knew you'd support Common Core.

I object to further empowering Washington DC to dictate what the nation's children learn. Even if the current standards are fairly innocuous, there is zero doubt that they will become perverted and totalitarian.

So that is what he put. That will be more useful to him as a Neuro-Surgeon (his goal) than guessing at a multiple choice that makes no sense to him.

Whence comes the requisite genetic material to give your son the potential to rise to the demands of the occupation of a neurosurgeon?

quip

BANNED
Banned
I object to further empowering Washington DC to dictate what the nation's children learn.

Is this your only objection...seems a little thin? I'm not sure of all the in's and out's of CC....but this (and its accompanied slippery slope) surely didn't help.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Just wanted to hear you say it in public...

Putting the one liner links (which the majority of your threads do) with no comments to start a dialogue is link dropping. Using a link and commenting to start a dialogue is not link dropping, it's pretty simple. TOL is for conversing not spamming the board with ideologic crap you read on the web, if you have an assertion concerning something you have read on the web than start the conversation, add the link to bolster your argument and your off to the races. :D

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Common core is a way to make all children "common" which aspires to dumb down those who acheive so that those who do not do not feel left out.

Its pathetic.

drbrumley

Question the Commie (er, I mean, “Common”) Core . . .

Thomas DiLorenzo

. . . so called, that would finally nationalize, once and for all, every one of the state’s indoctrination academies, and get roughed up, pushed around, shoved out the door, arrested, and jailed. That’s what happened to this Howard County, Maryland father who had the temerity to stand up and ask a question of some assembled school bureaucrats at one of their Potemkin Village ”town hall meetings.” Thanks to the videotaping of the incident, and the subsequent public outrage all over the Web, the Howard County Gestapo decide to let the man go free.

The man was charged with second degree assault of a police officer, which of course was a complete lie. It never happened, as shown in the video. It was the cop who assaulted the young father, not the other way around. Of course, nothing will happen to the cop, who was probably high fived by his fellow Gestapoites for bullying a taxpayer. The Sovietization of America continues.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Can you support this or is this just opinion prattle?

Common Core Standards will level the playing field

Over the past few years, Common Core standards in English language arts and mathematics have been developed to bring clarity, consistency and, above all, equity to public education.

What is different or unique about Common Core?
Generally, it has fewer standards at each grade level

Another: Common Core forces ebonics, ‘pimps and mobstaz’ on fourth graders

Gotzda dumem downz sos theys be equals.

Its pathetic. Educators should be inspiring students to acheive and excell, not be more worried about everyone being the same when everyone isnt the same.

Its a race to the bottom.

quip

BANNED
Banned

quip

BANNED
Banned
Meh....don't see what all the fuss is all about.

I take this guy's more moderate tact:

"When right-wing conservative groups and state governments stake out a position against Common Core, it makes me suspicious." [Me too]

"Parents, teachers, and students need to fight for the good in Common Core while challenging the bad and the ugly."

As far as ebonics...

They come to understand other perspectives and cultures. Students appreciate that the twenty-first-century classroom and workplace are settings in which people from often widely divergent cultures and who represent diverse experiences and perspectives must learn and work together. Students actively seek to understand other perspectives and cultures through reading and listening, and they are able to communicate effectively with people of varied backgrounds. They evaluate other points of view critically and constructively. Through reading great classic and contemporary works of literature representative of a variety of periods, cultures, and worldviews, students can vicariously inhabit worlds and have experiences much different than their own.

Makes good sense to me.

Source

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It never makes good sense to dumb people down so others will feel better about their lack of achievement.