For "Gay Marriage" But Against Father Marrying Son?

WizardofOz

Or mother marrying daughter?

I started a thread a while back entitled For "Gay Marriage" But Against Legalizing Polygamy?

It was an interesting thread to say the least. It seems most individuals in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage generally have no issue with legalizing multiple spouses either. The standard at least seems similar and/or they do not want to be accused of discrimination or exclusion when it comes to other types of marriages.

Incestuous relationships were brought up in that thread as well. It seemed the only objection anyone who was in favor of same-sex marriage had was the possibility of an offspring being produced that suffered from defects due to this type of relationship.

So, how about a father marrying his son? If you support same-sex marriage, why shouldn't a father be able to legally marry his son? Or, if you support same-sex marriage, why shouldn't a mother be able to marry her daughter?

Assume all parties are consenting and an adult 18 or older.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
I have to admit, you make me joyfully uncomfortable with your style of debate,
I struggle to interact with you because I can't be quite sure what you believe and
what you're playing the advocate for...

Anyhow;

"or they do not want to be accused of discrimination or
exclusion when it comes to other types of marriages"

I don't accept that as true, it's quite the opposite of fearing discrimination,
it's just that they want to play no part in deciding what adults want to do with each other
and who they love. (Or at least less but here)

"It seemed the only objection anyone who was in favor of same-sex marriage had was
the possibility of an offspring being produced that suffered from defects due to this type of relationship."

That's not the sole reason, but it's possibly the best one, knowing someone
from Florida that suffers from defects caused by incestuous reproduction
I'm quite familiar with how serious that part is and how badly it can ruin the child's life.

It seems throughout history, it wouldn't be anything new to be against it [prohibition],
mainly stemming from royalty (it's a surprise it's not legal due to our plutocracies and monarchic roots).

But as you say, this does not apply to male-male incest... I'd just like to point out before I continue is that,
for me the biological problems caused are just the icing on the cake,
and remove any necessity to discuss such a thing (fortunately).

Sadly I don't have that advantage here, but you've helped me get to the cause of my real problem with incest
concerning mother/father and siblings... (I'm worried that I cannot apply it to brother-brother,
but I have a bad excuse for that.).

"So, how about a father marrying his son? If you support same-sex marriage,
why shouldn't a father be able to legally marry his son? Or, if you support same-sex marriage,
why shouldn't a mother be able to marry her daughter?
"

As we've assumed they're all over 18, the problem seems to be one of authority in which
you cannot decide whether it is truly what they want, I don't think many would doubt that
some people would be capable of having true feelings of attraction to their parents,
it's supposed to take up quite a lot of psychology too, a part of adolescence and growing up
(at least in the subconscious), whether you agree with the strangeness of that or not, it probably happens.

As a child and young teenager (since my parents were broke up by then)
I felt much more comfortable sleeping in the same bed as my mum, whereas if I slept in the same bed as my dad it did worry me that it was strange;
whether those experiences are unique or not, I'm not certain.

However, as I said earlier (or supra as someone around here likes to add) I think it's a problem with authority and subconscious or conscious coercion that cannot be judged.

I would like you to answer your own questions and I'll see if I can elaborate further.

I applaud you on finding such a difficult issue, and my reason for brother-brother incest being illegal is just equality with our sisters.

I don't confuse law with practicality, laws won't even solve incest. And willing participants won't even report it.
:think: It's a mess indeed.

ragTagblues

Thats a toughie to answer . . . .

Because the reasons for it being wrong (or at least my considering it wrong) are exactly the reasons for which I get annoyed with people who are against homosexual marriage.

Ummmm I really want to answer this; but I feel I'm going to have to go away and ponder it for a while.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Thats a toughie to answer . . . .

Because the reasons for it being wrong (or at least my considering it wrong) are exactly the reasons for which I get annoyed with people who are against homosexual marriage.

Ummmm I really want to answer this; but I feel I'm going to have to go away and ponder it for a while.

You're going to go away and ponder incest :darwinsm: what has Wizard done to us?

ragTagblues

Tell her you thought about her? :idunno:

Ring, ring . . . . .

Mum - Hey rags (she doesn't call me that) what you been up to?
Me - Spoke to Sadie (sister) today about the money I owe her.
Mum - Thats nice. Anything else?
Me -I have been pondering incest recently too.
Mum - Thats nice. As long as your happy . . . .

Thats how the conversation would go I reckon.

Dena

Well...are there any men who want to marry their sons or women who want to marry their daughter?

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Mum - Hey rags (she doesn't call me that)

;);)

As long as she doesn't say, Ah - you too?

I must refrain from lonelyisland lyrics

Well...are there any men who want to marry their sons or women who want to marry their daughter?

My dear, how many religious leaders do you want examples of?

Quincy

Hello WoO

WoOhoO...... o_O ? TaboO topic right?

I think my short answer to this would be, for the same reason that opposite sex parents/children or for that matter siblings aren't allowed to marry. To me there is no difference when it comes to marriage between the opposite sexes or same. It's two people, for whatever reason, getting married.

This is observing law built on societal taboos that have developed or evolved over time though. That's there for a good reason and I believe that involves the consanguinity issue. Incest is legal in some countries though and I have read studies of late that mention relationships with cousins are not as risky as once believed. I actually have nothing against two cousins of either sex wanting to marry. I think however, there is a coercion or a "power over" type problem that occurs in parental relationships of that type and I don't think that should be allowed.

Quincy

Ring, ring . . . . .

You Brits are more lax than I expected :chuckle: .

bucksplasher

Many examples of giving men minds and then expecting them to "use" them.

Some problems are best decided by God and His Church.

Good luck to the rest.

tWINs

Dena

Would you like a Lot?

On a serious note, I'll find you some.

The story of Lot does portray a man who wanted to marry his daughters. They get him drunk and sleep with him because they are paranoid about not having children.

Also, that was a long time ago. Also, it's a fictional story. For the question to be relevant there must be examples of people living today who would like to legally wed their child.

If you have examples, please share.

I may have seen a show once where a mom slept with her son but I don't recall anything about men and their sons/women and their daughters. I also don't believe the two in question wanted to marry.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
The story of Lot does portray a man who wanted to marry his daughters. They get him drunk and sleep with him because they are paranoid about not having children.

Also, that was a long time ago. Also, it's a fictional story. For the question to be relevant there must be examples of people living today who would like to legally wed their child.

If you have examples, please share.

Touché, it's just the way that some of the artwork is portrayed for me. Once I find the right gamy I'll try and get a few.
Although, it's nothing really to do with religious leaders, it's just an authority thing with cults that makes me giggle.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ring, ring . . . . .

Oh brother (ha), I would know I was in trouble when my mother addressed me as ..........

"Sandra Ann!" ...

" :sigh: Yes Mothra" ....

It's moments like these when I practice my *selective hearing*.:cloud9:

shagster01

Is this like asking people who believe marriage should be between a man and a woman if they are cool with a mom getting hitched to her son? Or how far removed does a cousin have to be before it's ok?