Evangelicals Made a Bad Bargain With Trump

Arthur Brain

Stunning political insight of the day:
Trump can't navigate a ramp, therefore you must vote for the guy with the allegedly corrupt money ties to Ukraine, China and Kazakhstan.

:mock: Biden lovers

Okay, where's this stunning political insight of the day exactly?

Or, was this this just effectively you acting like a dumb troll...again?

:sigh:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Tubby Don would huff and puff when trying to waddle down the ramp ... and ultimately trip over his own tie ...

People often forget that dementia takes a physical toll, too. Trump's issues with the ramp are part of the same package that had him suggesting that we inject ourselves with disinfectant, or praising George Washington for seizing the airfields in the battle of Yorktown.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
:darwinsm:

:mock: Biden lovers

I'm looking forward to tonight's debate - Trump's error in the first was in interrupting Joe - an error because, left to his own devices and without a teleprompter, Joe will inevitably put his foot in his mouth.

or doze off

Trump should yield all his time to Joe - just let him ramble on for an hour and a half, let America get a real good look at him

I'm looking forward to tonight's debate - Trump's error in the first was in interrupting Joe - an error because, left to his own devices and without a teleprompter, Joe will inevitably put his foot in his mouth.

or doze off

Trump should yield all his time to Joe - just let him ramble on for an hour and a half, let America get a real good look at him

They should end all of Biden's TV ad spots, "I'm Joe Biden, and I can't remember the message."

Wouldn't surprise me if the DNC tried to negotiate getting Joe's microphone cut, after 20 seconds.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

And yet you support a man who paid his girlfriend to kill his unborn child.

Matthew 7:5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.

Listen to Him.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You know despite the fact that Trump is a truly awful President, there could be worse, especially if more tightly wrapped in religion. Trump's religions is superficial. he simply does not have the capacity to be a True Believer in anything or anyone but himself.

It's not that he's religious, it's that he's using the religious and they're using him and they're both profiting from the transactional relationship.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It's not that he's religious, it's that he's using the religious and they're using him and they're both profiting from the transactional relationship.

In the very near future, evangelicals may find that it wasn't a very good deal:

A recent poll conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute placed white evangelical approval of President Donald Trump at 75 percent, a level of adulation higher than when he was elected. Anyone who doesn’t see a moral conundrum in that figure can stop reading. But it speaks volumes about why Americans, especially young Americans, are in increasing numbers joining the “nones,” a category coined by pollsters to single out people who have no religious affiliation, who say that religion is not very important in their lives, and who, while they may believe in some sort of spiritual power, reject the idea of God described in the Bible.
What is new and epitomizes what’s gone wrong with American religion is the moral bankruptcy of the single largest group of American Protestants, white evangelicals.
The strategy ends by delivering the coup de grace to a belief long held by Americans that places of worship are the most reliable sources of moral instruction.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/blame-evangelicals-for-the-decline-in-christian-faith

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
In the very near future, evangelicals may find that it wasn't a very good deal:

A recent poll conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute placed white evangelical approval of President Donald Trump at 75 percent, a level of adulation higher than when he was elected. Anyone who doesn’t see a moral conundrum in that figure can stop reading. But it speaks volumes about why Americans, especially young Americans, are in increasing numbers joining the “nones,” a category coined by pollsters to single out people who have no religious affiliation, who say that religion is not very important in their lives, and who, while they may believe in some sort of spiritual power, reject the idea of God described in the Bible.
What is new and epitomizes what’s gone wrong with American religion is the moral bankruptcy of the single largest group of American Protestants, white evangelicals.
The strategy ends by delivering the coup de grace to a belief long held by Americans that places of worship are the most reliable sources of moral instruction.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/blame-...hristian-faith

Barbarian, you've got to read Unholy. This article parallels the track of the book so closely that I expected the article to make some reference to it. Unholy goes through the extensive framework set in place in the 80s for someone such as Trump to come along. I had no idea how much televangelism tied into all of this, I knew of the Paula Whites and such but I never watch, listen to or read any of them so I didn't know the extent of the entanglements. And how the religious right power brokers have been working in Washington for decades - again, for the moment. McConnel's packing of the courts was part of the long game, many years in the planning. And in the process they literally sold their souls. The religious right wanted a strongman to cement their religious agenda in the halls of power, and when I told you the other day that Barr is part of that long game I'm not sure you believed me. The Christian right is also the Christian white. The history of the past decades shows it unmistakably, and explains how Putin's 'Holy Mother Russia' goes hand in glove (white, Christian, anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT, authoritarian). I could never understand how the Cold War right ended up sighing over a shirtless Putin. There's a strain of ultra-traditional Catholics (often if not usually monarchists) who follow the same hard line and throw in anti-Semitic conspiracy theories to boot. That last part I know from my own experiences with them.

Anyway, thanks for this article, I've saved it for my research. I've already loaned Unholy to someone and I hope I get it back, I've got a list of names and orgs I want to research just for my own information and understanding.

But really, you should read that book.

Arthur Brain

Barbarian, you've got to read Unholy. This article parallels the track of the book so closely that I expected the article to make some reference to it. Unholy goes through the extensive framework set in place in the 80s for someone such as Trump to come along. I had no idea how much televangelism tied into all of this, I knew of the Paula Whites and such but I never watch, listen to or read any of them so I didn't know the extent of the entanglements. And how the religious right power brokers have been working in Washington for decades - again, for the moment. McConnel's packing of the courts was part of the long game, many years in the planning. And in the process they literally sold their souls. The religious right wanted a strongman to cement their religious agenda in the halls of power, and when I told you the other day that Barr is part of that long game I'm not sure you believed me. The Christian right is also the Christian white. The history of the past decades shows it unmistakably, and explains how Putin's 'Holy Mother Russia' goes hand in glove (white, Christian, anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT, authoritarian). I could never understand how the Cold War right ended up sighing over a shirtless Putin. There's a strain of ultra-traditional Catholics (often if not usually monarchists) who follow the same hard line and throw in anti-Semitic conspiracy theories to boot. That last part I know from my own experiences with them.

Anyway, thanks for this article, I've saved it for my research. I've already loaned Unholy to someone and I hope I get it back, I've got a list of names and orgs I want to research just for my own information and understanding.

But really, you should read that book.

Gonna have to check this out myself...

:e4e:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Democrats: "Christians shouldn't vote for Donaldtrump because he is secretly pro-choice so we can win and have abortions whenever we want."

Arthur Brain

Democrats: "Christians shouldn't vote for Donaldtrump because he is secretly pro-choice so we can win and have abortions whenever we want."

Trump will allow women to have abortions if he gets a second term anyway, everyone sane knows this already. What's wrong with you? What, you think he's gonna overturn the laws on abortion?!

:AMR:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Trump will allow women to have abortions if he gets a second term anyway, everyone sane knows this already. What's wrong with you? What, you think he's gonna overturn the laws on abortion?!

:AMR:

:idunno:

That's what all the liberals are crying about. They reckon that something calling itself the Supreme Court is going to ban abortion because Donaldtrump is Hitler.

Haven't you been paying attention?