The Failure of Cuomo and DeBlasio

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I've written elsewhere about how the story of the Chinese Virus in the US is largely the story of the ineptitude of the Mayor of NYC and the Governor of NYS. Roughly half of all US cases of Covid-19 are in the metropolitan NYC area, including NJ and Conn. I was prompted to start this thread by this news story, which I just heard on the CBC in disbelief - here we are six, seven, eight weeks into this "pandemic" (depending on where you start counting) and Cuomo has finally realized that the NYC subway system and public buses might be a problem. You couldn't make this stuff up. :nono:

Masks will be mandatory on all MTA transit starting Friday

Face masks or coverings will be mandatory for customers on MTA subways, buses and other forms of mass transit as of Friday, according to the agency.

The agency said Wednesday that it is part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s executive order requiring face coverings in busy places during the coronavirus pandemic.

“Pursuant to the Governor’s Executive Order, all customers will be required to wear a face covering while traveling with us during this pandemic, effective Friday April 17,” MTA Chairman Pat Foye said in a statement.

“Wearing masks and other face coverings in public will help stop the spread and ultimately save lives.”

Foye’s comments echoed Cuomo’s from earlier in the day that “if you’re going to get on public transit, you’re going to get on a bus, you’re going to get on a subway, you’re going to stand on a subway platform… you must wear a mask or cloth or an attractive bandanna or a color-coordinated bandanna cloth.”

The MTA has been mired by reports of dangerously-crowded subways and buses after officials slashed service to cope with thousands of workers calling out sick due to the coronavirus.

At least 59 transit workers have died from COVID-19, and Foye himself tested positive for the virus. The MTA only began giving its own workers masks in late March.

The toll has raised alarm among front-line workers concerned about crowds and the large numbers of homeless riding and living on trains.

“The riders are pissed, especially the last two weeks,” one train operator told The Post. “I’ve never seen them like that. They’re outright yelling.”

“You have people yelling at us, [that] they paid their fare and shouldn’t be subjected to that. And we agree, but there’s nothing we can do.”

https://nypost.com/2020/04/15/masks-...arting-friday/

Gary K

Banned
Yeah, but Trump..... How dare you criticize anyone but Trump. He musta forced Fredo and his brother to not think just because he's alive. So there, it's Trump's fault after all. :hammer::baby::help:

Gary K

Banned
I've written elsewhere about how the story of the Chinese Virus in the US is largely the story of the ineptitude of the Mayor of NYC and the Governor of NYS. Roughly half of all US cases of Covid-19 are in the metropolitan NYC area, including NJ and Conn. I was prompted to start this thread by this news story, which I just heard on the CBC in disbelief - here we are six, seven, eight weeks into this "pandemic" (depending on where you start counting) and Cuomo has finally realized that the NYC subway system and public buses might be a problem. You couldn't make this stuff up. :nono:

Masks will be mandatory on all MTA transit starting Friday

Face masks or coverings will be mandatory for customers on MTA subways, buses and other forms of mass transit as of Friday, according to the agency.

The agency said Wednesday that it is part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s executive order requiring face coverings in busy places during the coronavirus pandemic.

“Pursuant to the Governor’s Executive Order, all customers will be required to wear a face covering while traveling with us during this pandemic, effective Friday April 17,” MTA Chairman Pat Foye said in a statement.

“Wearing masks and other face coverings in public will help stop the spread and ultimately save lives.”

Foye’s comments echoed Cuomo’s from earlier in the day that “if you’re going to get on public transit, you’re going to get on a bus, you’re going to get on a subway, you’re going to stand on a subway platform… you must wear a mask or cloth or an attractive bandanna or a color-coordinated bandanna cloth.”

The MTA has been mired by reports of dangerously-crowded subways and buses after officials slashed service to cope with thousands of workers calling out sick due to the coronavirus.

At least 59 transit workers have died from COVID-19, and Foye himself tested positive for the virus. The MTA only began giving its own workers masks in late March.

The toll has raised alarm among front-line workers concerned about crowds and the large numbers of homeless riding and living on trains.

“The riders are pissed, especially the last two weeks,” one train operator told The Post. “I’ve never seen them like that. They’re outright yelling.”

“You have people yelling at us, [that] they paid their fare and shouldn’t be subjected to that. And we agree, but there’s nothing we can do.”

https://nypost.com/2020/04/15/masks-...arting-friday/

Notice no announcement of fumigating/cleaning up the virus first. Also, most masks are basically useless as they allow 10-20% of viruses through.

Democrat efficiency and caring in action. See how much they "care" about people? Oh, the little people truly are their first priority. :IA:

chair

NY and NJ are definitely the worst. Partially because of mismanagement, partially because of being crowded and much more dependent on public transportation.
This isn't really a Democratic vs. Republican thing. California is doing better than expected (acted faster than NY, and less public transportation). Louisiana is doing poorly.

ok doser

This isn't really a Democratic vs. Republican thing.

NYC was/is. The direct flouting of Trump's warnings and the decision in early February to go ahead with the Chinese Lunar New Year Festival/Parade/Let's All Breathe On Each Other Because We Hate Trump Shindig was a direct result of the insanity that gripped the left on Nov 9 2016 and has only intensified since.

chair

NYC was/is. The direct flouting of Trump's warnings and the decision in early February to go ahead with the Chinese Lunar New Year Festival/Parade/Let's All Breathe On Each Other Because We Hate Trump Shindig was a direct result of the insanity that gripped the left on Nov 9 2016 and has only intensified since.

The US has become weird. Identity politics gone ballistic. It's a VIRUS, not a political campaign.

Lon

The US has become weird. Identity politics gone ballistic. It's a VIRUS, not a political campaign.

I'd read a piece on Israel scientists believing they had the cure. How is the epidemic your way and what progress?

chair

I'd read a piece on Israel scientists believing they had the cure. How is the epidemic your way and what progress?

The population here is about 9 million, about that of NYC. We have 13,265 diagnosed cases so far, about 250 new cases diagnosed per day (in recent days), 164 dead, 113 on ventilators. Not too bad, as things go.

Many of the cases have been in ultra-religious neighborhoods, where residents took a long time to understand and accept what was happening. A few Arab towns have recently emerged as places with a concentration of cases as well. The government is starting to gradually ease up on restrictions, starting tomorrow. This is going to be done slowly and carefully. I'm personally working from home, as is my wife.

Lon

The population here is about 9 million, about that of NYC. We have 13,265 diagnosed cases so far, about 250 new cases diagnosed per day (in recent days), 164 dead, 113 on ventilators. Not too bad, as things go.

Many of the cases have been in ultra-religious neighborhoods, where residents took a long time to understand and accept what was happening. A few Arab towns have recently emerged as places with a concentration of cases as well. The government is starting to gradually ease up on restrictions, starting tomorrow. This is going to be done slowly and carefully. I'm personally working from home, as is my wife.

From here https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENC...weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101 There was a promising and hopeful cure. Is it or anything similar being implemented? Or have they also started using Choroquine? Thank you. -Lon

Gary K

Banned
Here is a very interesting take on Cuomo, the coronavirus, our economy, and more. The interviewee does a lot of research and has, as part of her business, weekly interactions with her customers. She says one of her customers went to major hospitals in NYC and filmed empty ERs, empty parking lots, and basically deserted hospitals. Ah, the reason CBS keeps showing Italian ERs as being ERs in NYC. You know, fake news.

Gary K

Banned

Yeah, the way to destroy people's lungs as a ventilator forces air in and out of a patient's lungs.

chair

Yeah, the way to destroy people's lungs as a ventilator forces air in and out of a patient's lungs.

so, an unidentified person on youtube (please identify him, if you know), has his own ideas about the disease. Good. And another doctor think differently. And 12 other think they have magic cures. Some of them may be right. others wrong. Don't jump on every anecdotal story as if it was god-given.

Gary K

Banned
so, an unidentified person on youtube (please identify him, if you know), has his own ideas about the disease. Good. And another doctor think differently. And 12 other think they have magic cures. Some of them may be right. others wrong. Don't jump on every anecdotal story as if it was god-given.

So, in other words you didn't even watch 5 seconds of the video. Your dishonest analysis is so obvious it's laughable.

chair

From here https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENC...weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101 There was a promising and hopeful cure. Is it or anything similar being implemented? Or have they also started using Choroquine? Thank you. -Lon

As you might know, we have a reputation for innovation, and a lot of start ups. Apparently a couple of these start-ups had been working on relevant projects long before the crisis hit, and there are definitely some trials going ahead to check if these vaccines or cures really do the trick. I think it's too early to say if they really work. I also don't personally know what is actually done in the hospitals here.

Lon

As you might know, we have a reputation for innovation, and a lot of start ups. Apparently a couple of these start-ups had been working on relevant projects long before the crisis hit, and there are definitely some trials going ahead to check if these vaccines or cures really do the trick. I think it's too early to say if they really work. I also don't personally know what is actually done in the hospitals here.

A few of those here in the U.S. as well, but Israel articles seemed to be optimistically promising. It doesn't matter who comes up with the cure. I hope it is soon. One study is taking plasma from those who recovered and giving transfusions to the very ill, in hopes that something natural will heal. Another is giving a weakened form to healthy volunteers hoping it'll prove a viable inoculation. Of course Chloroquine and other anti-virals are being tested as well. I'm rooting for them all, praying and hoping they will be able to save lives. -Lon

ok doser

Took another look at the stats and if the metro NYC area had the same prevalence as the rest of the country, our overall national stats would be below those of Germany

Reactions: Lon

ok doser

America Shouldn’t Have to Play by New York Rules

A national lockdown is bad medicine and worse politics.

In 1976, the artist Saul Steinberg drew a cover for The New Yorker — “View of the World from Ninth Avenue” — that became an instant classic. You know the one: Manhattan heavily in the foreground, the Hudson River, a brownish strip called “Jersey,” the rest of the America vaguely in the distance.

It could almost be a map of the coronavirus epidemic in the United States.
Even now, it is stunning to contemplate the extent to which the country’s Covid-19 crisis is a New York crisis — by which I mean the city itself along with its wider metropolitan area.

As of Friday, there have been more Covid-19 fatalities on Long Island’s Nassau County (population 1.4 million) than in all of California (population 40 million). There have been more fatalities in Westchester County (989) than in Texas (611). The number of Covid deaths per 100,000 residents in New York City (132) is more than 16 times what it is in America’s next largest city, Los Angeles (8). If New York City proper were a state, it would have suffered more fatalities than 41 other states combined.

It isn’t hard to guess why. New York has, by far, the highest population density in the U.S. among cities of 100,000 or more. Commuters crowd trains, office workers crowd elevators, diners crowd restaurants. No other American city has the same kind of jammed pedestrian life as New York — Times Square alone gets 40 million visitors a year — or as many residents packed into high-rises. The city even has a neighborhood called Corona, which, it turns out, has among the highest rates of coronavirus infections.

Consider a thought experiment in which metropolitan New York weren’t just its own state, but its own country. What would the crisis for what remained of America look like, then? In this slightly smaller nation of a little more than 300 million people, the death toll would amount to about 7.5 per 100,000, slightly above Germany’s levels.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/o...-lockdown.html