COVID-19 Data Tracking

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
This pandemic has become personal. Tragically, a cousin of mine passed away form COVID-19 last night. My family is completey shocked by his death. He's the first death from this virus in my hometown.

Shocking indeed. Sorry to get that news. If you are willing to discuss it, did he have any preexisting conditions?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
This pandemic has become personal. Tragically, a cousin of mine passed away form COVID-19 last night. My family is completey shocked by his death. He's the first death from this virus in my hometown. I spent the day traveling to my hometown taking supplies to his brother who took him to the hospital. He and his wife have.quarantineed themselves.

I'm so sorry to hear that TB. You're all in my prayers.

The Berean

Shocking indeed. Sorry to get that news. If you are willing to discuss it, did he have any preexisting conditions?

I don't have any details at the moment. I'm not aware of any pre-conditions. He's about my age, early 50's. I was told that he waited a week before going to the hospital and this may have been a factor in his death. The sad part was that his wife and family couldn't be there with him because he was in quaratined so he died alone. And now by law his body must be cremated. His brother took him to the hospital so he's been exposed. He and his wife have self quarantined in their home. We will try get them the new home test that becomes available on Monday.

chair

I believe you're Israeli?

How is life there?

The whole country is in lockdown. We barely leave the house. About 900 identified as being sick with this virus. Only one death so far.

Work places have been asked to cut down the number of employees on-site by 70%. So many of us work from home. The production department has been split into two shifts.

This has had a huge effect on religious life, as community prayer meetings can't take place.

A note on the medical system here: We have national health insurance. Basically a health tax that funds basic healthcare. The actual health care is given by private providers, who get paid the national health insurance. Some of the hospitals are private, but some are government run. many people have additional health insurance that expands coverage. A bit complicated, but it generally works OK, despite an overload on hospitals during the flu season. The system could easily be overloaded with the CORVID-19.

The National Security Council ( I'm not sure of the exact translation is in charge of coordinating things right now. A hotel has been converted to a makeshift hospital for those who have mild cases.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The whole country is in lockdown. We barely leave the house. About 900 identified as being sick with this virus. Only one death so far.

Work places have been asked to cut down the number of employees on-site by 70%. So many of us work from home. The production department has been split into two shifts.

This has had a huge effect on religious life, as community prayer meetings can't take place.

A note on the medical system here: We have national health insurance. Basically a health tax that funds basic healthcare. The actual health care is given by private providers, who get paid the national health insurance. Some of the hospitals are private, but some are government run. many people have additional health insurance that expands coverage. A bit complicated, but it generally works OK, despite an overload on hospitals during the flu season. The system could easily be overloaded with the CORVID-19.

The National Security Council ( I'm not sure of the exact translation is in charge of coordinating things right now. A hotel has been converted to a makeshift hospital for those who have mild cases.

stay safe

any idea what the situation is in the gaza strip?

is Egypt in any sort of condition to help them? Or inclined to?

chair

stay safe

any idea what the situation is in the gaza strip?

is Egypt in any sort of condition to help them? Or inclined to?

There are a few cases in Gaza. I doubt they have any real idea of what's going on, and they are not setup for this kind of thing at all. They barely can keep running water and electricity going there. They are on poor terms with Egypt (everybody knows that Israel blockades them- for some reason few notice that the border with Egypt is closed as well). It is Not Good to have a neighbor with a plague running rampant. I don't know what can be done.

Egypt is headed for disaster themselves, as are many poor countries, or countries with unstable governments. Africa will be a nightmare.

chair

Yesterday our clownish governor, Gavin Newson, "predicted that 56% of California residents could likely be infected within eight weeks. What a load of utter BS. That 56% would be 22.15 million people in 56 days. For that to happen 395,581 people would need to be infected EVERY DAY for the next 56 days. As of right now the ENTIRE GLOBAL TOTAL of confirmed cases is just 234,073.

What happened to following this daily? Did we give up on this?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This pandemic has become personal. Tragically, a cousin of mine passed away form COVID-19 last night. My family is completey shocked by his death. He's the first death from this virus in my hometown. I spent the day traveling to my hometown taking supplies to his brother who took him to the hospital. He and his wife have.quarantineed themselves.

Sorry for your loss.

eider

I don't have any details at the moment. I'm not aware of any pre-conditions. He's about my age, early 50's. I was told that he waited a week before going to the hospital and this may have been a factor in his death. The sad part was that his wife and family couldn't be there with him because he was in quaratined so he died alone. And now by law his body must be cremated. His brother took him to the hospital so he's been exposed. He and his wife have self quarantined in their home. We will try get them the new home test that becomes available on Monday.

Sorry to read about your very sad and shocking news.
Eider.

Aimiel

With all due respect, training doesn't compensate for a lack of COVIR-19 tests, ventilators, hospital beds and protective equipment to ensure that hospital staff isn't being infected!

Having the best healthcare system in the world is academic if its being overwhelmed by a tidal-wave of patients or there is no staff available to care for your needs!

A private healthcare system doesn't maintain the medical infrastructure required to deal with a pandemic and its becoming painfully obvious that the Trump Administration, in its infinite wisdom, didn't take the threat seriously!
It's obvious that he did, since he acted before a single case crossed our borders. Had he waited until there were 1,000 deaths, as Obama did with Swine Flu: the results would be catastrophic. Funny that no one faulted Obama for that. The fake news networks and your own misguided presumptions make their own ignorance painfully obvious. :duh:

chair

It's obvious that he did, since he acted before a single case crossed our borders. Had he waited until there were 1,000 deaths, as Obama did with Swine Flu: the results would be catastrophic. Funny that no one faulted Obama for that. The fake news networks and your own misguided presumptions make their own ignorance painfully obvious. :duh:

The first case in the US was on Jan. 21.
What actions did the president take before that?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The first case in the US was on Jan. 21.
What actions did the president take before that?

This source says the first case showed up for treatment on January 19, and by then he had already been sick for 4 days: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191

"He disclosed that he had returned to Washington State on January 15 after traveling to visit family in Wuhan, China. The patient stated that he had seen a health alert from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about the novel coronavirus outbreak in China and, because of his symptoms and recent travel, decided to see a health care provider."

The Berean

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It's been tough on my cousin's family. I spoke to his older sister the night he passed and as you can image she was beyond distraught. There was a local news report on his death.

https://pajaronian.com/man-diagnosed-with-coronavirus-dies-at-watsonville-hospital/

My other cousin that took him to the hospital has been in self quarantine along with his wife for a week now but neither has shown any of the major symptoms. Tomorrow (Monday) we will apply online to get a hold of the home testing kit just to make sure they are not infected. I believe these new home testing kits along with the rapid testing kit developed by Cepheid will turn the tide along with sheltering in this fight against COVID-19. We will know who is infected quicker so they can seek medical attention or enter quarantine.

As of earlier today: March 23, 2020, 06:15 GMT

USA
Confirmed cases: 34,901
Deaths: 457
1.31% mortality

California
Confirmed cases: 1,802
Deaths: 35
1.94% mortality

chair

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It's been tough on my cousin's family. I spoke to his older sister the night he passed and as you can image she was beyond distraught. There was a local news report on his death.

I think we are all going to have to deal with a lot more grief and fear than we ever expected to.
"May you be consoled from on high"

Chair

The Berean

chair

This source says the first case showed up for treatment on January 19, and by then he had already been sick for 4 days: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191

"He disclosed that he had returned to Washington State on January 15 after traveling to visit family in Wuhan, China. The patient stated that he had seen a health alert from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about the novel coronavirus outbreak in China and, because of his symptoms and recent travel, decided to see a health care provider."

Thanks. The sites I had seen mentioned Jan. 21, but this is the actual case study.
So the question about the president's actions gets moved up a couple of days.

Honestly, though it bugs the Heck out of me to see people throw around unsupported statements, like the one I will post again at the end of this, it is not time for blame. It is time for action. And the first step is for everyone to admit how serious the problem is, and to take the shutdown seriously. It doesn't require any difficult math or special resources: Just look at Italy.

It's obvious that he did, since he acted before a single case crossed our borders.