The "QAnon" Fraud!

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Are you in favor of this Nazi-like censorship?

From what I understand, these are the sorts of things they are censoring:

- violating multi-account policy
- coordinating abuse around individual victims
- attempting to evade a previous suspension

In other words, basically the same sorts of behaviors that would violate this forum's policies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
7000 banned and 150,000 limited Qanon accounts (just on Twitter). The deep state is terrified of the size and growth of this movement.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
UPDATE - Twitter bans 7,000 QAnon accounts, limits 150,000 others as part of broad crackdown. The company will classify of QAnon as "coordinated harmful activity" in part due to an uptick in "harassment" targeting high-profile critics of President Donald Trump (NBC)

-- https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1285729897915322368

And we're all supposed to be naive enough to believe that this purging of conservative voices so close to the November election is nothing more than mere coincidence.

chair

Are you in favor of this Nazi-like censorship?

I don't like this censorship- but I wish people would not throw around the term "Nazi" so loosely.

Facebook, Twitter and the like are corporations-in principle they can allow or disallow whatever they want, just like this forum does. Or at least one would hope so (remember that bakery that refused to bake a cake of a homosexual couple?).

The problem is that Facebook and the like are huge, so when they censor something, the effect is huge. And if they allow dangerous material to be spread through the internet, the effect is also huge.

So what do you propose- Let Facebook do what it wants, even if it is a response to political pressure? Legislate what they can allow or not allow? Legislate that they must allow everything, no matter what?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
New article in Salon: Is QAnon the new Christian right? With evangelicals fading, a new insanity rises

QAnon gives its adherents a feeling of self-righteousness, one that allows them to ignore the reality that they support a deeply immoral and sociopathic president who is bragging about his efforts to steal the November election, and whose malicious mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic has destroyed our economy and led to 166,000 deaths and millions of damaged lives. It lets them construct a story where they're the good guys who oppose sexual exploitation, when in fact they are fiercely loyal to a man who has been credibly accused of sexual assault by two dozen women.

Evangelical Christianity played the same role for conservatives in the pre-Trump years, letting them feel holy and moral despite openly backing politicians who promoted immoral policies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I don't like this censorship- but I wish people would not throw around the term "Nazi" so loosely.

Well, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

The problem is that Facebook and the like are huge, so when they censor something, the effect is huge. And if they allow dangerous material to be spread through the internet, the effect is also huge.

Who decides what is "dangerous"? Only liberals? And only the few conservatives who liberals approve of?

So what do you propose- Let Facebook do what it wants, even if it is a response to political pressure? Legislate what they can allow or not allow? Legislate that they must allow everything, no matter what?

When it comes to political issues, I'm in favor of legislating that they must allow everything. In fact the Supreme Court has already decided this in 1977 with the Skokie decision that allowed a Neo-Nazi group to march on the public streets of a Jewish neighborhood in Skokie Illinois. So since it's settled law, I'm amazed it's still an issue. Oh yeah, I forgot: the hypersensitive snowflake generation arrived on the scene.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I didn't know about the New Age connection. The crazy, make it stop...

I first became aware of this while debating QAnon on another forum. Most of the Anons there are New Age types. Few identify as evangelical Christians.

"Ramtha" channeler J. Z. Knight is just one of a list of New Age gurus that have gone full QAnon.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
A cluster of Republican lawmakers is apparently considering a plot to oust House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, as the GOP ponders its post-Trump future, a new report says. Insiders predict an intraparty war for the soul of the GOP and a small group of members are reportedly discussing whether someone should challenge McCarthy if Trump is defeated Nov. 3. The Washington Post reports that the matter came to a head following McCarthy’s support for QAnon-espousing Marjorie Taylor Greene, a fringe House candidate in Georgia who has made numerous racist comments and is a 9/11 truther. “Multiple Republicans implored McCarthy to help defeat her by supporting her primary opponent. But McCarthy refused,” the Post reports, citing interviews with more than 10 House Republicans.

- https://www.thedailybeast.com/house...hy-minority-leader-if-trump-loses-report-says

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I didn't know about the New Age connection. The crazy, make it stop...

You may recall a news story a little more than a month ago about a blond woman in Scottsdale, Arizona who live-streamed herself trashing a display of masks in a Target store. Turns out she is bipolar, which helps to explain her behavior. Also helping to explain her outburst was the fact that she was radicalized by New Age groups on Facebook:

Rein Lively wasn't particularly political on social media before COVID-19, and neither were some of the new-age groups that focused on the Earth’s energy, which she read voraciously.

She said she was most active in a 20,000-member Facebook group called "THE EVENT/THE SHIFT," a group focused on how the world is set for a dramatic "shift" because of frequencies and energies.

"I've always been the type of person where I'm very natural health oriented — all of the, you know, hippie stuff," Rein Lively said. "I am a very spiritual person who believes we are on the precipice of a new era of humanity."

Group members shared conspiracy theories about an accessible fifth dimension, beliefs that frequencies were changing for the better across the Earth, and offered advice on how to "ascend." But over the last several months, members of the QAnon community began to seep in. President Trump, they claimed, is a "light worker," working to save the world and bring about the energy shift.

Rein Lively started to see suggestions for other Facebook groups, including one with the name "The Great Awakening.” She, along with the group's 43,500 members, became entrenched in the world of QAnon.

The full article is linked here: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n...c-new-heights-fueled-viral-anti-mask-n1236695

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You may recall a news story a little more than a month ago about a blond woman in Scottsdale, Arizona who live-streamed herself trashing a display of masks in a Target store. Turns out she is bipolar, which helps to explain her behavior. Also helping to explain her outburst was the fact that she was radicalized by New Age groups on Facebook:

Wow. That was a good, although disturbing read. Thank you. Yeah I remember her, and thought at the time I was seeing a person who was unwell.

But here in the article: According to an internal document reported by NBC News this week, Facebook now has more than 1,000 of these QAnon groups, totaling millions of members.

A thousand groups, millions of members. That's mind-boggling. And the numbers make it more than fringe. No wonder we're in such trouble.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I first became aware of this while debating QAnon on another forum. Most of the Anons there are New Age types. Few identify as evangelical Christians.

"Ramtha" channeler J. Z. Knight is just one of a list of New Age gurus that have gone full QAnon.

It's really difficult to fathom new agers and evangelicals bonding over QAnon.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Last edited: