Oh the Irony...

God's Truth

The women, who are members of the Moms 4 Housing activist collective, moved into the house in November after not being able to find an affordable place to live in Oakland.

On Monday, Moms 4 Housing held a rally outside the home, drawing hundreds who came out to support the women in protesting the gentrification of Oakland, and make clear they consider housing to be a human right.​​​​​​

You daft? :idunno:

You are for sure. If a person can't afford a house in the city they live then they are supposed to move out of the city. It is what I had to do. You don't overtake property.

God's Truth

“There are four times as many empty homes in Oakland as there are homeless people,” Karim said at a press conference outside the home in November. “Why should anyone, especially children, sleep on the street while perfectly good homes sit empty?”

Go to a homeless shelter. Move out of that city.

Arthur Brain

By the way, housing is not a human right. To purchase and own property is a right. The houses were purchased and owned by the renovation company. And as such, bums like these women do not have the right to trespass, let alone live, in those homes.

If they want to be able to afford a home, they need to work for it.

Isn't it true that according to you, the basic essentials for survival aren't rights either, like food, water and any sort of shelter? Oh, and education etc? Shame for any kids caught up in such eh? But hey, never mind right?

:idunno:

God's Truth

Isn't it true that according to you, the basic essentials for survival aren't rights either, like food, water and any sort of shelter? Oh, and education etc? Shame for any kids caught up in such eh? But hey, never mind right?

The article says they were placed in a home legally.

quip

BANNED
Banned
You are for sure. If a person can't afford a house in the city they live then they are supposed to move out of the city. It is what I had to do. You don't overtake property.

You do during such a protest.....and usually get arrested, as they did.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You do during such a protest.....and usually get arrested, as they did.

The way something looks is not a valid reason to trespass.

If you know a crime is about to be committed, to stop someone from being harmed in the commission of that crime you would need to trespass, THAT is a valid reason to trespass.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Protest for someone getting removed from a house they aren't legally entitled to be in?

The women were protesting the way some buildings look by trespassing on and living in privately owned property that they had no right to be in. That's where quip is coming from.

The fact is that dislike of gentrification is not a valid reason to trespass.

The point of this thread, however, is to point out how ironic it is that the women, who are part of an activist group related to homelessness, were themselves homeless, and because they were trespassing, were ironically evicted from the house they were living in, and has nothing to do with gentrification.

God's Truth

The women were protesting the way some buildings look by trespassing on and living in privately owned property that they had no right to be in. That's where quip is coming from.

The fact is that dislike of gentrification is not a valid reason to trespass.

The point of this thread, however, is to point out how ironic it is that the women, who are part of an activist group related to homelessness, were themselves homeless, and because they were trespassing, were ironically evicted from the house they were living in, and has nothing to do with gentrification.

Just posing my reply to him as a question in hopes he sees how ridiculous his argument is.

I really did have to move out of my hometown because housing went sky high. It was a little beach and agricultural town, not so much agriculture anymore, and half a million for a little older home is a sad case for sure.

I can't imagine just living in someone's vacant property there because I didn't want to leave my hometown.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

You people on the left are just stupid. I mean profoundly mentally handicaped! The "essentials for survival" is the very concept that makes what these women were doing wrong, not right!

No one has the right to ANYTHING that has to be provided to them by someone else.

Life itself is the source of all rights. You do not have the right to my life! When I spend my time and talent (i.e. my life) producing something, it is mine by right to use or dispose of in whatever way I see fit because it was my life that was expended in it's production. I can consume it, sell it or give it away but your need does not give you a claim check on my life.

And while this idea is consistent with the Christian worldview, you do not need to be a Christian to understand and accept it. All you have to be is of sufficient intelligence to think clearly...
The right to life is the source of all rights—and the right to property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave.

Bear in mind that the right to property is a right to action, like all the others: it is not the right to an object, but to the action and the consequences of producing or earning that object. It is not a guarantee that a man will earn any property, but only a guarantee that he will own it if he earns it. It is the right to gain, to keep, to use and to dispose of material values.

Just as man can’t exist without his body, so no rights can exist without the right to translate one’s rights into reality—to think, to work and to keep the results—which means: the right of property. The modern mystics of muscle who offer you the fraudulent alternative of “human rights” versus “property rights,” as if one could exist without the other, are making a last, grotesque attempt to revive the doctrine of soul versus body. Only a ghost can exist without material property; only a slave can work with no right to the product of his effort. The doctrine that “human rights” are superior to “property rights” simply means that some human beings have the right to make property out of others; since the competent have nothing to gain from the incompetent, it means the right of the incompetent to own their betters and to use them as productive cattle. Whoever regards this as human and right, has no right to the title of “human.” - Ayn Rand​

You morons on the left think that to allow trespassing and theft is to expand human rights and it's quite exactly the opposite! What's worse is that you think this self-destructive, antisocial, lawless stupidity will stop with giving lazy people someone else's house!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Isn't it true that according to you, the basic essentials for survival aren't rights either, like food ...

I'm hungry this morning and i'm going to exercise my right to food by having breakfast at the local diner and leaving without paying the bill

I'm also thirsty, so I plan to exercise my right to water by taking a couple of cases of bottled water from the local grocery store

and any sort of shelter?

I plan to exercise my right to shelter too. Leave your door unlocked. I'll let myself in later on.

Oh, and education etc?

I'll exercise my right to education tomorrow - sit in on a class or two at the local college, maybe nap in the back of the classroom. Make sure the administration gives me a diploma, willya?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The doctrine that “human rights” are superior to “property rights” simply means that some human beings have the right to make property out of others; since the competent have nothing to gain from the incompetent, it means the right of the incompetent to own their betters and to use them as productive cattle ...

it's understandable why the incompetent find this so appealing, and why the politicians on the left find them to be such a reliable voting base

Don't know if you're aware of it, but there's been a push (by the left of course) to expand that voting demographic, the incompetent voter, by extending voting rights to children.

and of course, the illegal immigrant - the more uneducated the better

Arthur Brain

You people on the left are just stupid. I mean profoundly mentally handicaped! The "essentials for survival" is the very concept that makes what these women were doing wrong, not right!

No one has the right to ANYTHING that has to be provided to them by someone else.

Life itself is the source of all rights. You do not have the right to my life! When I spend my time and talent (i.e. my life) producing something, it is mine by right to use or dispose of in whatever way I see fit because it was my life that was expended in it's production. I can consume it, sell it or give it away but your need does not give you a claim check on my life.

And while this idea is consistent with the Christian worldview, you do not need to be a Christian to understand and accept it. All you have to be is of sufficient intelligence to think clearly...
The right to life is the source of all rights—and the right to property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave.

Bear in mind that the right to property is a right to action, like all the others: it is not the right to an object, but to the action and the consequences of producing or earning that object. It is not a guarantee that a man will earn any property, but only a guarantee that he will own it if he earns it. It is the right to gain, to keep, to use and to dispose of material values.

Just as man can’t exist without his body, so no rights can exist without the right to translate one’s rights into reality—to think, to work and to keep the results—which means: the right of property. The modern mystics of muscle who offer you the fraudulent alternative of “human rights” versus “property rights,” as if one could exist without the other, are making a last, grotesque attempt to revive the doctrine of soul versus body. Only a ghost can exist without material property; only a slave can work with no right to the product of his effort. The doctrine that “human rights” are superior to “property rights” simply means that some human beings have the right to make property out of others; since the competent have nothing to gain from the incompetent, it means the right of the incompetent to own their betters and to use them as productive cattle. Whoever regards this as human and right, has no right to the title of “human.” - Ayn Rand​

You morons on the left think that to allow trespassing and theft is to expand human rights and it's quite exactly the opposite! What's worse is that you think this self-destructive, antisocial, lawless stupidity will stop with giving lazy people someone else's house!

Hmm, well ranting aside, there's articles 25 and 26 of The United Nations declaration of human rights:

Article 25.

(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
(2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

Article 26.

(1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
(2) Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
(3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.

https://www.un.org/en/universal-decl...-human-rights/

In regards to the article, then isn't it understandable why there is so much protest? Oakland isn't the only area where there's problems with affordable housing and yet some people on the far right dismiss any concerns with stuff like that and just regard anyone on the lower end of the ladder as lazy or "bums". Maybe the rich man was right to deny Lazarus scraps of food and crumbs off his table?

So a corporation had a vacant property inhabited by some single mothers. Oh, boo hoo, they must have been devastated.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hmm, well ranting aside, there's articles 25 and 26 of The United Nations declaration of human rights:

Article 25.

(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
(2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

Article 26.

(1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
(2) Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
(3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.

https://www.un.org/en/universal-decl...-human-rights/

In regards to the article, then isn't it understandable why there is so much protest? Oakland isn't the only area where there's problems with affordable housing and yet some people on the far right dismiss any concerns with stuff like that and just regard anyone on the lower end of the ladder as lazy or "bums". Maybe the rich man was right to deny Lazarus scraps of food and crumbs off his table?

So a corporation had a vacant property inhabited by some single mothers. Oh, boo hoo, they must have been devastated.
The United Nations declaration of human rights? You have got to be kidding me!

Of course, you're not kidding though, right?!

If you want to know why every post I make in response to virtually anything you say is laced with insults, this post can stand as a perfect explanation.

Every actual argument ANYONE makes that you bother to respond to at all is met this sort of completely pure stupidity!

And I mean that literally! You are flatly stupid! There can be no other rational explanation.

You deserve whatever you get. You have only your own stupidity to blame for whatever disaster befalls you.

:wave2: