Here's one reason the Dems think they can succeed.

Arthur Brain

quip and Arthur Brain

I can't understand why you two are so eager to display your ignorance. An economist studies how human beings behave. That is the basis of economics for it looks at what people do in financial terms. How they spend, how they earn, their habits and practices of saving vs spending, etc.... It doesn't look at or presuppose motivations it just deals with behavior. The actual facts of behavior not suppositions.

This means only a part of an economics professors job is to teach math. The rest of what he teaches is based upon critical thinking skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively. Thus an economics professor is in a very good position to observe the skill levels of all the students that pass through his courses. And as Williams has been teaching economics now for decades he has had to watch this decline in the educational levels of his students deteriorating on a year by year basis.

That you guys think he's in no position to judge the critical thinking skills and ability to use the English language of his students is ludicrous. All you're doing by making the remarks you've made is demonstrate your own ignorance.

I can't understand why you conflate any objection with any particular cite of yours as a display of ignorance. Nobody's denying that the guy has an ability to communicate but that doesn't mean that everything he's communicating has a great deal of quality content. His last sentence is just pure biased drivel as is his bemoaning courses that he probably hasn't even taken the time to consider what's being taught in them. Why not have courses that encourage students to think in terms of a more modern paradigm? It doesn't mean ignoring the classics of literature or philosophy or anything.

If you were to show a tendency towards independent thought and critical thinking you'd stop trying to blanket everyone who disagrees with you as a leftist and what they supposedly all collectively "think", but you don't.

Last edited:

Gary K

Banned
Ease up there sparky.
I'll admit that he has a point regarding the falling education standard at all levels (the statistics bear this out.). My beef was regarding his opinion over those particular Lib Arts courses and his subsequent overreaching conclusion. That last sentence is rather oddly out of place...
if only he'd isolated his opinion on the statistics....everything would've been just swell! :up:

So, you think college courses on the harry potter books, how to watch tv, how to watch youtube videos, etc... are a great idea. I find that extremely strange. How dumb can someone be to have to take a class in how to watch tv and youtube? I mean, that's pretty low hanging fruit on the educational tree. These kids are in college already and they still don't know how to do simple searches on youtube? Are you kidding me? I learned how to use book indexes for research as a third grader, and that is exactly the same principle as doing any kind of internet search, yet these kids that have gone through more than 12 years of public school haven't learned these basic fundamentals yet? And harry potter? You're kidding me. It's a series of books written for kids that are in maybe the 4th through 6th grades. And they are being taught this nonsense in college? And the subject is satanic on top of that.

William's last sentence is right on point. The fact that you can't see it says you've been so indoctrinated into marxist thinking as normal thought patterns that you're incapable of seeing the danger. I find his comment well-timed, thought out, and very true. He's both accurate and absolutely correct.

Gary K

Banned
I can't understand why you conflate any objection with any particular cite of yours as a display of ignorance. Nobody's denying that the guy has an ability to communicate but that doesn't mean that everything he's communicating has a great deal of quality content. His last sentence is just pure biased drivel as is his bemoaning courses that he probably hasn't even taken the time to consider what's being taught in them. Why not have courses that encourage students to think in terms of a more modern paradigm? It doesn't mean ignoring the classics of literature or philosophy or anything.

If you were to show a tendency towards independent thought and critical thinking you'd stop trying to blanket everyone who disagrees with you as a leftist and what they supposedly all collectively "think", but you don't.

LOL. You, who consider all conservative news , opinion sites and reporting nothing but drivel and unhinged, are lecturing me on objectivity? Do you even begin to see the irony?

BTW, I have posted content that I found on infowars, but before I posted it I traced out the original news articles, which infowars posted in their own articles, and posted the quotes from there and gave the links to the original sites. You know why? Because I verify anything I find there. You know what? Not a person accused me of posting Infowars idiocy. You know why? Because the posted articles were from news sources that were mainstream news sources in the country they originated. In other words, you've read infowars material and didn't even know it, as infowar's sources of news were acceptable to you. You still think infowars is complete bunk? Think you've been lied to by your accepted sources of news? You're so brainwashed you're unable to think for yourself and do any research to see if what infowars says is true.

Your lack of objectivity and your prejudice against anything conservative is blatantly obvious. And you say you're no marxist.

Arthur Brain

LOL. You, who consider all conservative news , opinion sites and reporting nothing but drivel and unhinged, are lecturing me on objectivity? Do you even begin to see the irony?

BTW, I have posted content that I found on infowars, but before I posted it I traced out the original news articles, which infowars posted in their own articles, and posted the quotes from there and gave the links to the original sites. You know why? Because I verify anything I find there. You know what? Not a person accused me of posting Infowars idiocy. You know why? Because the posted articles were from news sources that were mainstream news sources in the country they originated. In other words, you've read infowars material and didn't even know it, as infowar's sources of news were acceptable to you. You still think infowars is complete bunk? Think you've been lied to by your accepted sources of news? You're so brainwashed you're unable to think for yourself and do any research to see if what infowars says is true.

Your lack of objectivity and your prejudice against anything conservative is blatantly obvious. And you say you're no marxist.

Um, well for a start I don't consider all conservative opinions or the like to be nothing but drivel, just the loopy ones. I'm friends with some conservatives also, but sane ones.

:)

quip

BANNED
Banned
So, you think college courses on the harry potter books, how to watch tv, how to watch youtube videos, etc... are a great idea. I find that extremely strange. How dumb can someone be to have to take a class in how to watch tv and youtube?
-------‐-
William's last sentence is right on point. The fact that you can't see it says you've been so indoctrinated into marxist thinking as normal thought patterns that you're incapable of seeing the danger. I find his comment well-timed, thought out, and very true. He's both accurate and absolutely correct.

More bloviating?

Here's a snippet for you:
This course explores American life in the last seven decades through an analysis of our still central medium: television.....we will consider television’s role in both reflecting and constituting American society through a variety of approaches. Our topical exploration will consider the economics of the television industry, television’s role within American democracy, the formal attributes of a variety of television genres, television as a site of gender and racial identity formation, television’s role in everyday life, and the medium’s technological and social impacts.

You have such a petty and self-limiting mind-set.

Expand it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
More bloviating?

This course explores American life in the last seven decades through an analysis of our still central medium: television.....we will consider television’s role in both reflecting and constituting American society through a variety of approaches. Our topical exploration will consider the economics of the television industry, television’s role within American democracy, the formal attributes of a variety of television genres, television as a site of gender and racial identity formation, television’s role in everyday life, and the medium’s technological and social impacts.

Expand it.

:first:

I have two excellent books on my shelf by Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business and Technopoly: the Surrender of Culture to Technology and I wonder if the course utilizes either of them. Great ideas in the arenas of psychology, anthropology and sociology.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
ffreeloader twice mentions a course entitled:

... "How To Watch Television," ...

So, you think college courses on ... how to watch tv ...

quip hastily moves the target, erects a strawman and responds with a quote from the syllabus of

FMMC 0104A
Television & American Culture

at Middlebury College

More bloviating?

Expand it.

and merrily whacks away at the strawman he's erected

anna, gullible fool that she is, is either sucked in, or perpetuates quip's dishonesty

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

quip hastily moves the target, erects a strawman and responds with a quote from the syllabus of

FMMC 0104A

at Middlebury College
anna, gullible fool that she is, is either sucked in, or perpetuates quip's dishonesty

I have ffreeloader on ignore, I thought quip made a great post, and he reminded me of two excellent books. That's a win-win-win. Happy New Year! :)

quip

BANNED
Banned

FMMC 0104A

at Middlebury College

Strawman?
That course description is spot on.
If not feel free to show otherwise. Just curious, what exactly do you think a Philosophy/Sociology course entitled "How to Watch TV" entails? Can you even honestly guess?

ok doser

ffreeloader posts:
... "How To Watch Television" ...
Quip retardedly replies:

doser notes that quip has created a strawman

quip doubles down on his retardedness:
Strawman?
That course description is spot on.

perhaps, if you're retarded

are you retarded?

Just curious, what exactly do you think a .... course entitled "How to Watch TV" entails? Can you even honestly guess?

honestly, i don't have to guess

THEORY/APPLICATION ELECTIVES

Complete 9 semester hours from the following:
BDCS220How to Watch Television3
BDCS220: How to Watch Television

This course, open to both broadcasting majors and non-majors, is about analyzing television in the ways and to the extent to which it needs to be understood by its audience. The aim is for students to critically evaluate the role and impact of television in their lives as well as in the life of the culture. The means to achieve this aim is an approach that combines media theory and criticism with media education. 3 sh.
https://www.montclair.edu/undergradu...urriculumID=43

And I deleted your strawman "philosophy/sociology"

Last edited:

quip

BANNED
Banned
ffreeloader posts:
Quip retardedly replies:

doser notes that quip has created a strawman

quip doubles down on his retardedness:

perhaps, if you're retarded

are you retarded?

honestly, i don't have to guess

THEORY/APPLICATION ELECTIVES

Complete 9 semester hours from the following:
BDCS220How to Watch Television3
BDCS220: How to Watch Television

This course, open to both broadcasting majors and non-majors, is about analyzing television in the ways and to the extent to which it needs to be understood by its audience. The aim is for students to critically evaluate the role and impact of television in their lives as well as in the life of the culture. The means to achieve this aim is an approach that combines media theory and criticism with media education. 3 sh.
https://www.montclair.edu/undergradu...urriculumID=43

And I deleted your strawman "philosophy/sociology"

And?
what's the issue?

quip

BANNED
Banned
the issue is that you're too retarded to realize that you're retarded

Useless deflection.

...The aim is for students to critically evaluate the role and impact of television in their lives as well as in the life of the culture.

What exactly do you think they discuss while "critically evaluating the impact and role" of TV in their lives and culture?

Since you've made the error of delving deep enough to call me out, don't stop there....make your and ffload's case against this course.

ok doser

Useless deflection.

...The aim is for students to critically evaluate the role and impact of television in their lives as well as in the life of the culture.

What exactly do you think they discuss while "critically evaluating the impact and role" of TV in their lives and culture?

Since you've made the error of delving deep enough to call me out, don't stop there....make your and ffload's case against this course.

my intent was to point out your dishonesty in moving the goalposts and erecting a strawman

i achieved that in post 27

as for the rest of it, I have no interest in feeding your retarded need for attention :wave2: