Near Death Experiences (NDEs)

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
This is a very excellent academically inclined interview by psychologist Jeffrey Mishlove of renowned near-death experience researcher Kenneth Ring:

NDE Researcher Kenneth Ring

One major takeaway for me from this interview is the account of one experiencer whose classically-themed NDE involved traveling toward a light at the end of a dark tunnel. What was unique about his particular experience is that he reported traveling through that light and then looking back at it. He then saw was that the light was being generated by the constellation of the spirits of the many people who had gone before him.

It is commonly reported that NDEs involve full life reviews, and people don't only witness life reviews from their own perspective. Many also see their actions from the perspective of the others who were impacted, whether positively or negatively, by their own behaviors. These people then become transformed by the awareness of the consequences of their actions on others before they commit those actions, knowing that they themselves are going to have to be the recipients of them. It is as though there is only one person in the universe, and it is us!

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Some people who have NDEs report hellish experiences. Those who report hellish NDEs state that their unpleasant experience ended when they prayed to God and were told, "Forgive everyone and everything in your life. Fear is the only hell. Love your life; everyone and everything, and fear no more." Many people who have been wronged wish to hold onto their "righteous indignation," but experiencers recommends taking the negative charge off of all of one's experiences in order to be freed from the negative consequences associated with those incidents.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Bumping this for visibility.

I've heard very believable NDEs, and I want to believe there's somewhere else there. Like most people, there are loved ones I want to see again and I want more than this one life, and NDEs are one thread that holds me back. But I'm afraid that there's just going to be nothing.

Aimiel

I've heard very believable NDEs, and I want to believe there's somewhere else there. Like most people, there are loved ones I want to see again and I want more than this one life, and NDEs are one thread that holds me back. But I'm afraid that there's just going to be nothing.
There's life after death, Jesus proved it. He came back to tell us the good news: anyone who believes in Him shall have everlasting life.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
There's life after death, Jesus proved it. He came back to tell us the good news: anyone who believes in Him shall have everlasting life.

John 3:36 describes her to a
Spoiler
31etzKpmO8L.jpg

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation. - Hebrews 9:27-28 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews9:27-28&version=NKJV

People who claim to have been to heaven (or hell, for that matter) and returned are a dime-a-dozen.

All of them are a bunch of frauds and/or liars, caught up in their own self-importance.

If you're dead, you're either in heaven, or hell, and there's no coming back.

The only instances where people have been raised from the dead is directly through God's intervention, or indirectly through God's chosen prophets. And that stuff ceased shortly after Paul's conversion.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

The only instances where people have been raised from the dead is directly through God's intervention, or indirectly through God's chosen prophets. And that stuff ceased shortly after Paul's conversion.
That's your opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. Opinions differ, and yours are no better than anyone else's. Your opinions only seem better to you because you chose them for yourself.

Do people sometimes lie about near-death experiences? Of course. There are frauds in all aspects of life. But they aren't all frauds. I knew someone who had serious complications during childbirth and nearly died. She said that during her NDE, she felt what she described as a stream of air blowing across her face and a voice told her repeatedly by name that she was going to die. She knew intuitively that if she inhaled this breeze that she would cross over. She began to pray, saying that she did not want to die because she wanted to live to raise her baby. She was then told that her request was granted and that she would recover fully from her condition and live on, and that is what happened.

It's so easy to cast aspersions at the experiences of others...until you've had them for yourself.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation. - Hebrews 9:27-28 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews9:27-28&version=NKJV

. . .

That's your opinion

Well, no, it's not an opinion at all, let alone mine.

I quoted scripture that says that after death comes the judgement. What do you have?

Here's another passage:
For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell.For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you.And being confident of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith,that your rejoicing for me may be more abundant in Jesus Christ by my coming to you again. - Philippians 1:19-26 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians1:19-26&version=NKJV

And another, specifically for those who are saved:
So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.For we walk by faith, not by sight.We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. - 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Corinthians5:6-8&version=NKJV

Do people sometimes lie about near-death experiences? Of course. There are frauds in all aspects of life. But they aren't all frauds. I knew someone who had serious complications during childbirth and nearly died. She said that during her NDE, she felt what she described as a stream of air blowing across her face and a voice told her repeatedly by name that she was going to die. She knew intuitively that if she inhaled this breeze that she would cross over. She began to pray, saying that she did not want to die because she wanted to live to raise her baby. She was then told that her request was granted and that she would recover fully from her condition and live on, and that is what happened.

It's so easy to cast aspersions at the experiences of others...until you've had them for yourself.

That's nice. Except that anecdotal evidence is just that.

Depends on if you're clinically dead

If you're dead, you're dead.

"Clinically dead" means something like "the heart stopped beating," in which case you're not actually dead yet.

Life is God, and the property which He imparted to entities within creation that makes them either beings or organisms. The effects of this property may be further described, but it's nature, being tied up in the very nature of the essence of the Godhead, cannot be otherwise defined.

When people lose that "property" called life, they are dead. You've heard it said that death is the absence of life? More accurately, because the general term, "death," means separation, therefore death in this context is the separation of the property "life" from the human body.

The heart is just a pump. The brain is the interface between the non-physical soul/spirit and the physical body. Therefore when someone dies, all functions cease, including the brain.

or brain dead.

Brain dead is NOT DEAD.

One can be reversed (within a window of time),

Assuming you mean the former, that's because the person isn't dead.

If you meant "brain dead," then I totally agree. "Brain dead" can be reversed.

and one can't.

Assuming you meant the latter, again, people have recovered from being "brain dead." Meaning, they're not dead at all.

And if you meant the former, well, I doubt you did, because then you'd be contradicting yourself, which I strongly doubt you were intending to do.

Last edited: