The 2019 NFL Season is Finally Here!

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I think I'm going to put some money on the Titans to beat KC, straight up. The Colts beat KC with their running game, eating up the clock. And the Titans have Henry. Mahomes can't beat you if he's sitting on the bench.

The Berean

I still find it hard to believe my 49ers are one win away from the Super Bowl. They should beat the Packers since they are the better team. But in one game crazy things can happen.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I still find it hard to believe my 49ers are one win away from the Super Bowl. They should beat the Packers since they are the better team. But in one game crazy things can happen.

As long as Brett Favre isn't the QB for the Packers, your 49'ers should win.

The Berean

Congrats to the Kansas City Chiefs for ending a 50 year Super Bowl drought.

At half time the 49ers lead the Packers 27-0! Only twice in NFL playoff history has a team come back from a 27+ point deficit.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Congrats to the Kansas City Chiefs for ending a 50 year Super Bowl drought.

Congrats to your 49'ers for ending a 7 year Super Bowl drought.

Also....most Championship Game appearances:

16) 49'ers & Steelers
15) Patriots
14) Cowboys
11) Raiders
10) Broncos & Rams

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Calling both championship games wasn't hard. I thought the Titans might make it difficult for KC, but they proved vulnerable to the passing attack and just weren't built for come from behind. So now we have a transcendent player on one side, with a bend but don't break defense (regular season yielding marginally fewer points than SF) against a team that's really a better version of Tennessee. How much better and how Andy schemes and his qb responds will be everything.

I'm inclined to favor the Niners. Jimmy is solid and does what he's asked to do. They can run the ball. They're best against the pass and decent enough against the run. The Chiefs live or die by their passing attack, which is more potent than anything the Niners have seen so far...I'm looking for San Francisco to run creative pressures and more blitzes than they have to date while they run the ball on offense to keep Mahomes off rhythm and on the bench. This is Patrick's Marino moment. Will he look similarly bumfuzzled as Dan did in his first and only SB, also against the Niners, or announce himself as the new post season king?

My head says its a return of the old standard, but my heart says this guy is special enough and has enough tools to find a way. I felt the same way about LSU and Clemson. (mulls) I'm taking Reid to finally get it done in a real chess match.

The Berean

Calling both championship games wasn't hard. I thought the Titans might make it difficult for KC, but they proved vulnerable to the passing attack and just weren't built for come from behind. So now we have a transcendent player on one side, with a bend but don't break defense (regular season yielding marginally fewer points than SF) against a team that's really a better version of Tennessee. How much better and how Andy schemes and his qb responds will be everything.

I'm inclined to favor the Niners. Jimmy is solid and does what he's asked to do. They can run the ball. They're best against the pass and decent enough against the run. The Chiefs live or die by their passing attack, which is more potent than anything the Niners have seen so far...I'm looking for San Francisco to run creative pressures and more blitzes than they have to date while they run the ball on offense to keep Mahomes off rhythm and on the bench. This is Patrick's Marino moment. Will he look similarly bumfuzzled as Dan did in his first and only SB, also against the Niners, or announce himself as the new post season king?

My head says its a return of the old standard, but my heart says this guy is special enough and has enough tools to find a way. I felt the same way about LSU and Clemson. (mulls) I'm taking Reid to finally get it done in a real chess match.

This isn't really a fair comparison. Marino went up against the greatest 49er team ever and one of the greatest NFL teams in history. Mahomes isn't facing a team of that caliber, Though this 49ers team is quite strong. If these 49ers can win the Super Bowl I'd be comfortable to to rank them among the top 8-10 best 49er teams of all time.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Im predicting Kansas City in a blowout.

This 49'ers team has squeaked out a lot of wins this year. They barley beat the Steelers at home with Mason Rudolf at QB for the Steelers. They barley beat the Seahawks, Cardinals, Rams, and Saints down the stretch, while losing to the Ravens and Falcons

However, they were dominant in the postseason against the Vikings & Packers, but I predict KC will win by at least 13 points.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Marino went up against the greatest 49er team ever and one of the greatest NFL teams in history.

Jerry Rice wasn't on that 1984 team.

How can the greatest 49'ers team ever not have Jerry Rice on it?

BTW, the lone loss by that 49'ers team was against the Steelers.....lol

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Teams that have finished 15-1

1984 - 49'ers
1985 - Bears
1998 - Vikings
2004 - Steelers
2011 - Packers
2015 - Panthers

****Patriots finished 16-0 in 2007

The Berean

This 49'ers team has squeaked out a lot of wins this year. They barley beat the Steelers at home with Mason Rudolf at QB for the Steelers. They barley beat the Seahawks, Cardinals, Rams, and Saints down the stretch, while losing to the Ravens and Falcons

However, they were dominant in the postseason against the Vikings & Packers, but I predict KC will win by at least 13 points.

The 49ers had three losses this season. They lost all three games by three points literally on the final play of each game. They lost to the Ravens on the road. They could have easily won that game. They crushed the Packers twice. The 49ers may lose but they will not get blown out.

The Berean

Jerry Rice wasn't on that 1984 team.

How can the greatest 49'ers team ever not have Jerry Rice on it?

The 1984 49ers had a +249 point differential, the best in franchise history. The 1994 team with Jerry Rice and Steve Young was awesome. But I think the 1984 team was a tad better.

BTW, the lone loss by that 49'ers team was against the Steelers.....lol

Yes, I know the 49ers lose to the Steelers 20-17 on a Bryan Hinkle interception late in the game that sealed the game for the Steelers. LOL

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The 1984 49ers had a +249 point differential, the best in franchise history.

What about the 1989 49'ers? Jerry Rice and Montana were amazing together.

They were 14-2. Their two loses were by a combined 5 points.

Moreover, they destroyed their opponents in the postseason:

Divisional Game - they beat the Vikings 41-13

Championship Game - They beat the Rams 30-3

Super Bowl - They beat the Broncos 55-10

They outscored their opponents in the postseason 126 - 26 (in 3 games) That's way more impressive than +249 over 16 games.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I suppose it's possible, but I can't see it as likely.

This 49'ers team has squeaked out a lot of wins this year.
They blew up the Bucs, Bengals, Browns...the weaker teams. Destroyed the Panthers.

They barley beat the Steelers at home with Mason Rudolf at QB for the Steelers.
The Steelers coaching was magnificent this year and that win was more about Jimmy having a bad early game. One td to two picks.

They barley beat the Seahawks, Cardinals, Rams, and Saints down the stretch, while losing to the Ravens and Falcons
The Seahawks were a playoff team this year and they lost in overtime. Tough game. Then the Niners went to Seattle and beat them there bymore than they'd lost. The Rams? Weird year for a team with a lot of talent. And the Saints were in the hunt for the division crown. None of those losses is something to hang head about. The Falcons came to life for a stretch and scared everyone, if a little late. And the Ravens were the favorite of many to reach the Super Bowl.

KC didn't exactly light up the better teams on their season schedule either. A four point win over the Lions? Tough contests against the Chargers...I suspect this one will more closely resemble their win over the Vikings, if they're on the winning side. If they lose it will be because the Niners keep Mahomes off the field by slowing the game pace, using Jimmy as a game manager and largely run the ball while putting serious pressure on the Chiefs signal caller, who (as with any young qb and most who aren't so young) can be rattled by it.

Still mulling. The Packers were the least praised team entering the playoffs, with a lot of people figuring them for a quick hook. They just didn't really beat many good teams in route to that record. The Vikings? A really good overall team, but the closest thing they have to a signature win during the regular season was beating Dallas...so, not sure either team was particularly indicative.

Too many unknowns. The Chiefs are good at stopping teams from scoring, but not great at stopping them from moving the ball. I think they were 26th in terms of yards allowed rushing. That's troubling given the obvious game plan the Niners should advance. If they can keep moving the chains and get a couple of stops using pressure, they stand a good chance of winning a low scoring contest...by which I mean, again, something like the Vikings game, mid to low 20s.

If KC can get going early and get any sort of a lead, its over.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This isn't really a fair comparison.
I'm not really comparing teams though, mostly wondering if he'll have the same problem, running into the teeth of serious defensive pressure.

Marino went up against the greatest 49er team ever and one of the greatest NFL teams in history. Mahomes isn't facing a team of that caliber, Though this 49ers team is quite strong.
I'm not really suggesting this Niners team is ready to claim a spot atop that pantheon. I'm just wondering how Mahomes will respond to the strongest defense he's played this year, specifically to the pressure they're going to bring. In that sense he's in Dan's shoes.

If these 49ers can win the Super Bowl I'd be comfortable to to rank them among the top 8-10 best 49er teams of all time.
Again, it's more about defense with me. I'm certainly not suggesting this offense is in the zip code of that 84 Niners team. And that's the largest part of the disparity.

Defensively? The Niners gave up 1,795 that year rushing (7th best in the league by yards, tied for 2nd in rushing tds allowed) and 3,381 passing (21st in yards, but 1st in fewest tds allowed).

This year? The Niners are 1st against passing yards allowed (2,707) 16th in tds, and 16th in rushing yards allowed (1,802) but 8th in tds. So he'll have an easier time of it, to be sure...which is part of the reason I'm still mulling.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Too many unknowns.

Don't rule out the coaches.

Andy Reid is the Marty Schottenheimer of the day (can't win the big game), and Kyle Shanahan was the offensive coordinator of the greatest collapse in Super Bowl history.

It will be interesting so see which coach will prevail. By default, one of them has to win.

The Berean

What about the 1989 49'ers? Jerry Rice and Montana were amazing together.

They were 14-2. Their two loses were by a combined 5 points.

Moreover, they destroyed their opponents in the postseason:

Divisional Game - they beat the Vikings 41-13

Championship Game - They beat the Rams 30-3

Super Bowl - They beat the Broncos 55-10

They outscored their opponents in the postseason 126 - 26 (in 3 games) That's way more impressive than +249 over 16 games.

The 1989 team is certainly a contender for greatest 49er team.