The 2019 NFL Season is Finally Here!

Jerry Shugart

Anyone notice that when the Cowboys were 3-0, Jerry Shugart was posting like crazy, but now that his Boys have lost two in a row, we haven't heard from him?

I've been on vacation in west Texas at a friend's ranch where there were no computers. But the Boys are going to slaughter the Jets this coming weekend! No doubt about it!

Dallas -7
At NY Jets

The Cowboys are a touchdown favorite even though the game is away. And I'm giving the points because the Boys are very angry about how they began their last game!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...the Boys are going to slaughter the Jets this coming weekend! No doubt about it!

Dallas -7
At NY Jets

The Cowboys are a touchdown favorite even though the game is away.
Think about it though. They're only a seven point favorite over a team that hasn't won a game. That same Jets team was a double digit dog at Philly. The Jets were a 3.5 dog at home to then winless Cleveland, and lost by twenty...I'm just saying it isn't a hard hill to climb.

And I'm giving the points because the Boys are very angry about how they began their last game!
And, of course, because so far they've only really beaten bad teams and the Jests are so bad they'd have a hard time getting a point spread if they played Miami.

So it's the sort of game you can use to tune up and get settled, but one that can only really tell you something if you don't T them up.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm cautiously optimistic. The team has been terrible for so long I don't want to get too excited just yet.
Looking good so far, though you have to get past the Saints this year and that's looking difficult. That team is playing its best all around ball since...well, ever. And Brees' injury is a blessing in disguise, as once the thumb is fine he'll have had a good chunk of the season to not wear at his aging frame. He did drop off a bit last year late. He should be fresh this time around.

I'd love for Brees to face Brady in a battle of the geezers, win, and pull an Elway. Or go up against those Chiefs and prevail. He's never quite gotten the notice he deserved because he played in an era of great qbs who had better teams.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If the game was going to be in Dallas then the Boys would be a double digit favorite.
They're like Alabama this year. There's a lot to like, but I need to see them beat a contender.

Called the Giants to fold like bad origami.

These week I'm in an upset frame of mind, in general. I like the dogs in a lot of contests this week...Tampa, Miami, NO, Niners, Titans...off the top of my head.

Jerry Shugart

Let's look at the point spreads in the games you pick the dog:

Carolina -2.5
Tampa Bay (At London)

Washington -4
At Miami

At Jacksonville -3
New Orleans

At LA Rams -3
San Francisco

At Denver -2
Tennessee

I hope that you are right or else I will be homeless! But I think that you are right which probably means that I will be homeless!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Did you run the numbers in those games? If so I am betting my house on your picks and retiring!
Still haven't engaged the numbers...and I owe you an apology. I misread Tampa as a 1.5 favorite (missed the plus and corrected when I caught it) and called it for Carolina.

Right now I'm at 6-2...with KC and Clev giving me the 2 sour notes.

This afternoon I have it:

Atl (2.5) over Arz, so that's not looking good at the outset. The Cardinals are up by 7 now.
The Niners upsetting the Rams (3.5)
The Jets keeping it closer than 8.5 at Dallas
Ten in a pick'em upset at Den (2.5)
The Chargers (6.5) covering against Pit
And GB (4.5) covering against a game Det

Jerry Shugart

The refs cost the Cowboys the game when they called an offensive pass interference penalty on the play when Jason Witten scored a touchdown. And to make it worse Jason Garrett could have challenged the play to see if that penalty should be overturned. But he did nothing!

Dallas ended up only getting a field goal so they lost four points on that terrible call! With those extra four points the Cowboys would have won the game!

Garrett blew it big time, as did the officals!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Okay, so I went into the afternoon 6-2...

Atl (2.5) over Arz, so that's not looking good at the outset. The Cardinals are up by 7 now.
Boo. A one point loss and a clear indication that Atlanta needs to work on their defense before they utterly waste all that offensive talent. Get a new coach, one who can manage that, or it's going to be a bigger mishandle than most of the Cox led Braves teams back in the day...and at least they got a ring out of it. :mmph: 6-3

The Niners upsetting the Rams (3.5)
And so they did. :D 7-3 Jimmy moved the ball, even if he didn't find the endzone, but the star of the day was that Niner defense. Goof managed all of 78 yds, while the new running back by committee managed a little over 100 yds and a td. Time to either begin to bury the New Orleans cursed Rams, or to really take a look at those kids from San Fran.

The Jets keeping it closer than 8.5 at Dallas
But winning outright? That I didn't see, refs or not. A promising note for Jests fans and I'm 8-3 :D

So, what happened? Dak moved the ball. Nearly 300 yards, but he couldn't put it in the endzone. Darnold, despite passing for more yards and a td, didn't play as well as Dak, but he was more effective. Eliot had a tough day against the Jets. He found the endzone and ran for over a hundred, but his 3.7 average speaks to a stout defense from New York and tough running by Zeke. Bell had much the same, in a much more limited role.

Cut the scoreboard out and look at the team stats and you'd expect a tough, tight game with Dallas ahead on the margin. If they can keep this up and against lesser defenses the Jets may have something.

Ten in a pick'em upset at Den (2.5)
Then THAT Titans team showed up... :mmph: 8-4

My bad. Never bet against the Broncos in a pick'em game in Denver. Henry held to 28 yds on 15 carries? That's what happens when the box is loaded because no one fears your qb. Was Mariota hurt or have they finally had enough? I see Tannehill played most of the snaps...no, of course I didn't watch it. I have too much respect for my eyes.

The Chargers (6.5) covering against Pit
This was the one I was nervous about, but a backup quarterback should not beat a decent team at home. The Chargers didn't pay their back at the outset, on a team where everything needs to be seamless for it to work. They haven't looked pulled together this season, so that may be the costliest "win" by a front office ever. :mmph: 8-5

And GB (4.5) covering against a game Det
So...it won't be a bad week, but I really need for Detroit to look like Detroit tonight. 9-4 will feel a lot better than 8-6.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry.....

Not many teams would keep it that close missing their two Starting Offensive Tackles and two out of three of their starting Receivers.

Then the refs sealed the game for the Jets by calling a non-existent Offensive Pass interference penalty against the Boys when Witten scored a touchdown. The Boys lost four points and with those four points they would have won the game instead of the Jets.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not many teams would keep it that close missing their two Starting Offensive Tackles and two out of three of their starting Receivers.
It would have helped Eliot to be sure.

The Boys lost four points and with those four points they would have won the game instead of the Jets.
And that would have been about where I was thinking the game would go. I liked it to be a fg contest, six at the outside.

Jerry Shugart

Tonight's game:

Kansas City -3
At Denver

Gotta go with my man Mahomes and give the points. That probably dooms the Chiefs!

Jerry Shugart

Tonight's game:

Kansas City -3
At Denver

Gotta go with my man Mahomes and give the points. That probably dooms the Chiefs!

What do you know? I got one right. Now to the big showdown in the NFC East:

At Dallas -2.5
Philadelphia

Last week the Boys were missing their two starting Offensive Tackles as well as two of their three starting Receivers. The good news is that all of them are expected to start this Sunday night. On the other hand, the Eagles ruled out linebacker Nigel Bradham (ankle), wide receiver DeSean Jackson (abdomen), defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan (foot), cornerback Avonte Maddox (concussion, neck), offensive tackle Jason Peters (knee) and running back Darren Sproles (quadricep).

I will take Dallas and give the points because the Boys are going to end their three game losing streak.

JPPT1974

Bad news for Chiefs as also good news, Patrick Mahomes out three weeks but no surgery or he could had been out longer.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Went 9-4 going into tomorrow's game. Detroit let me down. So did Houston. The Niners were a half point from making me happy and the Saints, without their best rusher and on the road were better than I expected. Otherwise, all went well, including the Arizona upset.

If the Jets keep it closer than 9.5 I'm in double digits. We'll see.