The 2019 NFL Season is Finally Here!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A funny, but good start on Thursday as I called Seattle to win BUT not to cover. Thank you.

What's up today?

2. Atl @ Hou (4.5): the Falcons are now officially dangerous. They can play four downs. It doesn't matter and with that talent they will upset some favorites and maybe help to play king maker. Does it start this week? Maybe. Houston can't protect Watson, who is looking more and more like a candidate for answer to the question, "Who will be the next squandered talent at qb driven into early retirement by an inept organization?" Falcons. Edit: sorry, I meant the answer to the question was the Falcons. I took Houston

3. Buf @ Ten (2.5): injury concerns and the randomness of Titan output make this a nervous game, but I'll take the home team on general principle here.

4. Chi (4.5) @ Oak: could be a blistering loss and I do like the Bears, but this is a tale of two teams with half a team each. I don't know...Bears, because I trust that half more than I do Oakland's offense.

5. Arz @ Cin (4.5): ...well, somebody has to win. I lack enough confidence to like either by that margin. Give me Arizona then.

6. Min (4.5) @ Gia: given the poor play on defense this pick is a reach. At home I'd take the Vikings. Here, it may still be the Vikings, but on a pt spread beyond 3 I'm going with the Giants to keep it closer and maybe surprise us with a win.

7. New England (15.5) @ Was: A huge spread and one I didn't take the last time it was New England on the road...I will this time because I think Washington is that disjointed.

8. TB @ NO (3.5): after last week, who knows what Tampa is capable of unleashing. I'd feel better about a 3 pt line, but I'll take the Saints to protect their home.

9. Jets @ Phi (13.5): it's a big spread...I hate it...but against a Jets team without a captain? If Philly is going to put a stamp on the season this would be a great place to start. Philly.

10. Bal (3.5) @ Pit: a good bounce back, on the road rally by Baltimore. A statement game.

Oops. Left off a few games. Only one is in progress and working against me.

I took Jacksonville to beat that 4.5 spread for Carolina.
I'll take the Chargers to cover 5.5 over visiting Denver.
Give me GB to upset Dallas (3.5) in Dallas.
I'll go with KC to take Indy at KC, though the 10.5 makes me nervous.
I'll take Cleveland to upset the Niners (3.5)

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
10. Bal (3.5) @ Pit: a good bounce back, on the road rally by Baltimore. A statement game.

Since Mike Tomlin became head coach in 2007, 13 games between the Ravens and Steelers were decided by 3 points or less (14 games after today) 19 games were by a touchdown or less.

Never, ever, take either team to cover if the line is more than 3 points.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Also, after today, the Steelers and Ravens have now played 6 overtime games. That's the most overtime games for two teams against each other.

The Berean

I was glancing at the Patriots' stats. They have scored 155 points and allowed just 34 points so far which gives them a +121 point differential. For comparison, the 2007 Patriots had scored 182 points and allowed 65 point for a +117 point differential through five games.

drbrumley

The Latest Impeachment News from Washington
Thomas DiLorenzo

The Washington Redskins fired Coach Jay Gruden this morning.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I was glancing at the Patriots' stats. They have scored 155 points and allowed just 34 points so far which gives them a +121 point differential. For comparison, the 2007 Patriots had scored 182 points and allowed 65 point for a +117 point differential through five games.

Yes, but look at who the Patriots have played so far this year:

Dolphins 0-5
Jets 0-5
Redskins 0-5
Steelers 1-4
Bills 4-1

Other than the Bills (who they should have lost to), the Patriots haven't played a good team.

4 of their 5 wins have come against teams that have a combined 1-19 record.

You should be more excited about your 49'ers

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Anyone notice that when the Cowboys were 3-0, Jerry Shugart was posting like crazy, but now that his Boys have lost two in a row, we haven't heard from him?

Also, hey Townie, how bout your Colts yesterday!!!!!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Since Mike Tomlin became head coach in 2007, 13 games between the Ravens and Steelers were decided by 3 points or less (14 games after today) 19 games were by a touchdown or less.

Never, ever, take either team to cover if the line is more than 3 points.
You know, when I do the math I look like a genius. When I don't, I don't. :eek:

And yeah, my Colts surprised me, pleasantly. Imagine what this solid a team would look like with Luck under center...a shame we took a year too long to get there for him.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My Steelers are 1-4.

Had they won yesterday, they would be tied for 1st place in the pitiful AFC North.

However, since the season is lost, I'm hoping Devlin Hodges starts at QB this Sunday, and ends up being the next Kurt Warner.

The Berean

Luck is 30 years old.

Jim Brown retired when he was 29 years old.

Imagine how shocking that was.

Jim Brown was amazing. Can you imagine what he could do in more modern era? Absolutely dominate for sure. He is still #11 all time in rushing and all the other players ahead of Brown played in 16 game seasons. In Brown's nine NFL seasons he played in four 12 game seasons and five 14 game seasons. And he never missed a game! If we extrapolate Brown to 16 game seasons he comes out to 15,034 rushing yard which would be 5th all time. And Brown retired at age 29!

The Berean

Yes, but look at who the Patriots have played so far this year:

Dolphins 0-5
Jets 0-5
Redskins 0-5
Steelers 1-4
Bills 4-1

Other than the Bills (who they should have lost to), the Patriots haven't played a good team.

4 of their 5 wins have come against teams that have a combined 1-19 record.

You should be more excited about your 49'ers
I'm cautiously optimistic. The team has been terrible for so long I don't want to get too excited just yet.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
...the Bills (who they should have lost to)
Nah. They only "should have lost to" the Bills if and only if their defense isn't for real, because their defense snuffed out the Bills in that game. The next time they play them it will be the same, and maybe then the offense will score more than 20, but that Bills defense is close to NE's this year, but NE's defense so far hasn't done anything that the '85 Bears defense wouldn't have done. This could be an historic defense for the Pats this year.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nah. They only "should have lost to" the Bills if and only if their defense isn't for real, because their defense snuffed out the Bills in that game. The next time they play them it will be the same, and maybe then the offense will score more than 20, but that Bills defense is close to NE's this year, but NE's defense so far hasn't done anything that the '85 Bears defense wouldn't have done. This could be an historic defense for the Pats this year.

Again, 4 of the 5 Patriots wins have come against the 0-5 Jets, the 0-5 Dolphins, the 0-5 Redskins, and the 1-4 Steelers. Any defense could look like the '85 Bears against those offenses.

We'll see how good their defense is when they play the Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans, and Chiefs all in a row starting November 3rd.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jim Brown was amazing. Can you imagine what he could do in more modern era? Absolutely dominate for sure. He is still #11 all time in rushing and all the other players ahead of Brown played in 16 game seasons. In Brown's nine NFL seasons he played in four 12 game seasons and five 14 game seasons. And he never missed a game! If we extrapolate Brown to 16 game seasons he comes out to 15,034 rushing yard which would be 5th all time. And Brown retired at age 29!

Things probably would have been a lot different had he played 5 more years.

The Packers probably wouldn't have won the next two championships after he retired in 1966 & 1967, and the Browns probably wouldn't have lost the 1968 & 1969 NFL Championship Games like they did without him.

Oh well, it was all because he had an acting role in "The Dirty Dozen", and thought he was going to be a famous movie star.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Again, 4 of the 5 Patriots wins have come against the 0-5 Jets, the 0-5 Dolphins, the 0-5 Redskins, and the 1-4 Steelers. Any defense could look like the '85 Bears against those offenses.
No.
We'll see how good their defense is when they play the Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans, and Chiefs all in a row starting November 3rd.
Agreed.