Hurricane Dorian Becomes the 5th Atlantic Category 5 in 4 Years

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Hurricane Dorian intensified into a Category 5 on Sunday morning, becoming the fifth Atlantic hurricane in the past four years to reach this highest level on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

Dorian's intensification into a Category 5 marked the fourth year in a row the Atlantic basin has had at least one hurricane reach that strength. That's the most consecutive years on record with at least one Category 5 in the Atlantic, topping a three-year stretch from 2003 to 2005.

Category 5 hurricanes are rare and have maximum sustained winds 157 mph or greater. They can unleash devastating winds and catastrophic storm surge when they strike land.

Winds in Dorian reached 185 mph at 12:40 p.m. EDT on Sunday, according to the National Hurricane Center. That puts Dorian in a tie for the second-highest sustained wind speed among all Atlantic hurricanes.

https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...rian-atlantic-hurricane-category-five-history

Well, they used to be rare. Warmer seas means stronger storms.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I remember when Barbarian used to holler that single events were weather, not climate. :think:

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I remember when Barbarian used to holler that single events were weather, not climate. :think:

"Weather is the day-to-day state of the atmosphere, and its short-term variation in minutes to weeks. People generally think of weather as the combination of temperature, humidity, precipitation, cloudiness, visibility, and wind. ... Climate is the weather of a place averaged over a period of time, often 30 years." -- https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/arctic-meteorology/climate_vs_weather.html

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Global warming I mean climate change. :banana:

Las Vegas has recorded a record for most consecutive days over 105 degrees in August. Global warming? I'd say so. Seems pretty warm to me.

July was pretty hot too. "July 2019 was the hottest July and the hottest month on record globally since temperature records began in a year of many record-breaking temperatures as heat waves hit many parts of the world." -- https://time.com/5652972/july-2019-hottest-month/

Higher temperatures mean larger and stronger hurricanes.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
One category 5 Hurricane is weather, although they used to be rare. A string of them, year after year, is climate.

It doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Back in 2007, this was predicted:

Projections: “Based on a range of models, it is likely that future tropical cyclones (typhoons and hurricanes) will become more intense, with larger peak wind speeds and more heavy precipitation associated with ongoing increases of tropical sea surface temperatures. There is less confidence in projections of a global decrease in numbers of tropical cyclones. The apparent increase in the proportion of very intense storms since 1970 in some regions is much larger than simulated by current models for that period.”
https://judithcurry.com/2010/09/13/hurricanes-and-global-warming-5-years-post-katrina/

And here we are. It's going to get worse for the forseeable future.

Insurance Rates Skyrocket on Alabama Gulf Coast
https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southeast/2006/07/17/70485.htm

Truster

"Thou shalt be visited of the LORD of hosts with thunder, and with earthquake, and great noise, with storm and tempest, and the flame of devouring fire".

Hint, hint.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
"Thou shalt be visited of the LORD of hosts with thunder, and with earthquake, and great noise, with storm and tempest, and the flame of devouring fire".

Hint, hint.

Yeah, we have a few people like that here. Put them on ignore. Works for me.

Truster

"Yah Veh is slow to anger and great in power; Yah Veh will by no means leave the guilty unpunished. His path is in the whirlwind and storm, and clouds are the dust beneath His feet".

If further hints are necessary...

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, we have a few people like that here. Put them on ignore. Works for me.

Barbarian is asked to back up his assertion, but as usual, he runs for the hills.

Come on, Barbarian. It would be a fairly straightforward piece of statistics. You've got all the data at your fingertips. Tell us: What are the odds that five such storms in five years would arise by chance. I'm just gonna guess and say better than even. There, you could prove me wrong. Tempting, um?

chair

There are two separate questions about global warming/climate change. For some reason people mix up the two.
1. Is the climate changing? This is a factual question. It either is or isn't. There isn't an ideological or religious factor here. Just facts.
2. Assuming that the answer to 1 is yes: What is causing the climate change? This is more difficult to assess, and it is hard to prove that it is caused by humans or not.

The answer to #1 is yes. It's a fact.

Truster

"And lest, when he hears the words of this curse and oath, he flatters and congratulates himself in his [mind and] heart, saying, I shall have peace and safety, though I walk in the stubbornness of my [mind and] heart [bringing down a hurricane of destruction] and sweep away the watered land with the dry."

The hurricane is an insrtument of terror and judgement.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hurricane Dorian intensified into a Category 5 on Sunday morning, becoming the fifth Atlantic hurricane in the past four years to reach this highest level on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

Dorian's intensification into a Category 5 marked the fourth year in a row the Atlantic basin has had at least one hurricane reach that strength. That's the most consecutive years on record with at least one Category 5 in the Atlantic, topping a three-year stretch from 2003 to 2005.

Category 5 hurricanes are rare and have maximum sustained winds 157 mph or greater. They can unleash devastating winds and catastrophic storm surge when they strike land.

Winds in Dorian reached 185 mph at 12:40 p.m. EDT on Sunday, according to the National Hurricane Center. That puts Dorian in a tie for the second-highest sustained wind speed among all Atlantic hurricanes.

https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...rian-atlantic-hurricane-category-five-history

Well, they used to be rare. Warmer seas means stronger storms.

The number of storms in a specific year is weather, not climate. Even five years worth of weather isn't nearly sufficient to show any sort of long term trend.

The real data shows the opposite of what the left would like you to believe...

View attachment 26887

Truster

There was not a single drop of rain until Noah entered the Ark. The rain was sent in judgement and not because of climate change.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The answer to #1 is yes. It's a fact.

And yet "climate change" is preloaded with the baggage of the end of the world because people drive SUVs and drink using plastic straws. Almost everything you can think of is global warming in some manner.

Yes, the climate is changing. In other news, water is wet.

Here, I'll go almost all the way for ya:
The globe is warming.
Humans are to blame.
The consequences will be catastrophic — literally planet-ending.

Where we part ways is that you think there is something that can be done about it; that it is worth selling liberty in the name of banning plastic straws and other useless, leftist ideas of redemption and salvation.

Last edited: