Hurricane Dorian Becomes the 5th Atlantic Category 5 in 4 Years

chair

Where we part ways is that you think there is something that can be done about it; that it is worth selling liberty in the name of banning plastic straws and other useless, leftist ideas of redemption and salvation.

Stripe, where exactly have a I said anything of the sort?
I very carefully avoiding saying anything like that. And no, I am not a "leftist"- whatever that means in your twisted mind.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Why don't you know this?

Translation: "I don't know it, I just believe it because someone behind a pulpit told me to and so have no idea how to defend it biblically."

Truster is paroting a rather common Christian belief that it didn't rain before Noah that some have postulated based on the fact that God used the rainbow as a symbol of His promise not to ever flood out the whole world again in Genesis chapter nine. They assume that it was the first time a rainbow had ever occured and so, by extention, it must never have rained before.

It sounds nice but the bible really shouldn't be used in this way. Unfortunately, most Christians who believe this tend to be dogmatically unwilling to budge on this almost entirely meaningless point of theoligical trivia. I've never understood it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The number of storms in a specific year is weather, not climate. Even five years worth of weather isn't nearly sufficient to show any sort of long term trend.

Five category 5 storms in 4 years is a significant trend. But that's just an acceleration of the trend going back to the 80s:
Hurricane-Strength-Frequency-Chart529px.png

graph1.jpg

The models,even 20 years ago, predicted stronger storms, but not more of them. As you have shown, both predictions have been validated. Far as I know, there was no specific prediction on the number of hurricanes that actually would have landfall on the United States.

The real data shows the opposite of what the left would like you to believe...

View attachment 26887
This nicely confirms their second prediction. We shouldn't see much of an increase, if any, in tropical storms. But we are seeing a marked increase in major storms.

Truster

Translation: "I don't know it, I just believe it because someone behind a pulpit told me to and so have no idea how to defend it biblically."

Truster is paroting a rather common Christian belief that it didn't rain before Noah that some have postulated based on the fact that God used the rainbow as a symbol of His promise not to ever flood out the whole world again in Genesis chapter nine. They assume that it was the first time a rainbow had ever occured and so, by extention, it must never have rained before.

It sounds nice but the bible really shouldn't be used in this way. Unfortunately, most Christians who believe this tend to be dogmatically unwilling to budge on this almost entirely meaningless point of theoligical trivia. I've never understood it.

>>>"I've never understood it". There was no need for you to say this as its obvious.

" But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of Elohim: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned".

Alate_One

The number of storms in a specific year is weather, not climate. Even five years worth of weather isn't nearly sufficient to show any sort of long term trend.

Apples to oranges. The number of storms is not the discussion, it's the intensity of the storms that do form. I remember reading that the overall number of storms may in fact decrease with climate change (mostly due to an increase in wind shear) but the storms that do form will be more intense due to warm water.

Warm water = more energy. It's simple physics, not rocket science.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
>>>"I've never understood it". There was no need for you to say this as its obvious.

" But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of Elohim: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned".

You're stupid.

It has become impossible to have a substantive discussion about anything on this website. Those who try get banned and those that seem to be allowed to post anything they want are literally stupid idiots that aren't worth the hair that grows on their big toe.

Why do I even bother? This may well be the last post I ever make on TOL.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

View attachment 26887

That graph is misleading because it only counts "U.S. landfalling" hurricanes. A large percentage of hurricanes wind up hitting Central or South America, or curve up and die in the north Atlantic, and never impact the USA. (I know, I know. You don't care about those.)

Here is a complete graph of Atlantic basin hurricanes each year from 1851 to 2018:

Atl_hurricane_numbers_annotated_small_2018.png

As you can see, there definitely is a long-term trend, and it is rising.

Last edited:

chair

Anything of what sort? :idunno:
Of this sort:
Where we part ways is that you think there is something that can be done about it; that it is worth selling liberty in the name of banning plastic straws and other useless, leftist ideas of redemption and salvation.

Here's your chance to stop playing your stupid games and simply apologize for being wrong.

Alate_One

to a binary thinker perhaps

do you know of anything in climate science that is bivariate and not influenced by external factors?

Define external factors. More heat = more energy, it's pretty much that simple. Now the heat may be unevenly distributed across the globe but generally speaking if you're looking at tropical cyclones in general (not just hurricanes) they've all been increasing in intensity.

Truster

You're stupid.

It has become impossible to have a substantive discussion about anything on this website. Those who try get banned and those that seem to be allowed to post anything they want are literally stupid idiots that aren't worth the hair that grows on their big toe.

Why do I even bother? This may well be the last post I ever make on TOL.

Just to confirm your thinking on this. You don't understand and so I am a stupid idiot?

"Elohim choses the foolish things of the world to confound the wise".

Bless you.