• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Evolution and its effects.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
No, truly ignoring. Iirc, he was the fellow who was obviously posting from the library but wouldn't admit it.

Almost all of his posts are gone now.

way 2 go

There is no doubt that the philosophy of evolution leads to horrors.

When my son Dan was murdered on the sidewalk at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999, I hoped that would be the last school shooting. Since that day, I’ve tried to answer the question, “Why did this happen?”
This country is in a moral free fall. For over two generations, the public school system has taught in a moral vacuum, expelling God from the school and from the government, replacing Him with evolution, where the strong kill the weak, without moral consequences and life has no inherent value.
We teach there are no absolutes, no right or wrong. And I assure you the murder of innocent children is always wrong, including by abortion. Abortion has diminished the value of children.

https://www.clmagazine.org/topic/pro-life-champions/brian-rohrbough-an-uncompromising-pro-lifer/

another evolution horror the suicide rate is up

Data from the National Vital Statistics System, Mortality

From 1999 through 2017, the age-adjusted suicide rate increased 33% from 10.5 to 14.0 per 100,000.
Suicide rates were significantly higher in 2017 compared with 1999 among females aged 10–14 (1.7 and 0.5, respectively), 15–24 (5.8 and 3.0), 25–44 (7.8 and 5.5), 45–64 (9.7 and 6.0), and 65–74 (6.2 and 4.1).
Suicide rates were significantly higher in 2017 compared with 1999 among males aged 10–14 (3.3 and 1.9, respectively), 15–24 (22.7 and 16.8), 25–44 (27.5 and 21.6), 45–64 (30.1 and 20.8) and 65–74 (26.2 and 24.7).
In 2017, the age-adjusted suicide rate for the most rural (noncore) counties was 1.8 times the rate for the most urban (large central metro) counties (20.0 and 11.1 per 100,000, respectively).

db330_fig3.png

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
another evolution horror the suicide rate is up

Data from the National Vital Statistics System, Mortality

From 1999 through 2017, the age-adjusted suicide rate increased 33% from 10.5 to 14.0 per 100,000.
Suicide rates were significantly higher in 2017 compared with 1999 among females aged 10–14 (1.7 and 0.5, respectively), 15–24 (5.8 and 3.0), 25–44 (7.8 and 5.5), 45–64 (9.7 and 6.0), and 65–74 (6.2 and 4.1).
Suicide rates were significantly higher in 2017 compared with 1999 among males aged 10–14 (3.3 and 1.9, respectively), 15–24 (22.7 and 16.8), 25–44 (27.5 and 21.6), 45–64 (30.1 and 20.8) and 65–74 (26.2 and 24.7).
In 2017, the age-adjusted suicide rate for the most rural (noncore) counties was 1.8 times the rate for the most urban (large central metro) counties (20.0 and 11.1 per 100,000, respectively).

db330_fig3.png

So the suicide rate is higher for areas where evolution is not as well accepted as it is in more urban areas. The correlation between rural environments, and conservatism and rejection of evolution is well-documented.

Superficially, it would seem that rejecting evolution is a cause of suicide. But correlation is not causation. I would suggest that it is due to other factors.

On the other hand, there is also an inverse correlation between the number of Americans who accept evolution, and violence. An increase in acceptance of evolution over the last few decades has happened as violence has declined strongly.

While superficially, this also suggests that creationism causes violence, I do not think there is a cause and effect going on here.

way 2 go

I would suggest that it is due to other factors.
of course you would
On the other hand, there is also an inverse correlation between the number of Americans who accept evolution, and violence. An increase in acceptance of evolution over the last few decades has happened as violence has declined strongly.
the unintended or intended consequences of evolution are violence and suicide are acceptable .

I do not think there is a cause and effect going on here.
unintended consequences of evolution
there was cause and effect of evolution with the Columbine High School shooters

Arthur Brain

of course you would

the unintended or intended consequences of evolution are violence and suicide are acceptable .

unintended consequences of evolution
there was cause and effect of evolution with the Columbine High School shooters

Well, evolution isn't synonymous with atheism or nihilism so equating violence/suicide is a silly stretch at best.

Creationism OTOH is pretty much consistent with unwavering fundamentalism and some of the type of stuff that that encapsulates involves society being under laws whereby we have people being dragged off to be stoned to death for "crimes" that a modern "civilized" society would balk at.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Superficially, it would seem that rejecting evolution is a cause of suicide. But correlation is not causation. I would suggest that it is due to other factors.

of course you would

It's that "E-word" that offends creationist so. (EVIDENCE)

The correlation suggests that the unintended or intended consequences of creationism are violence and suicide. These are acceptable to creationists, although as I pointed out, correlation is not causation. Odds are that suicide and violence are correlated with creationism for other reasons, and one does not directly cause the other.

There were claims of cause and effect of creationism with the Columbine High School shooters, but that doesn't necessarily mean violence is caused by creationism.

way 2 go

Well, evolution isn't synonymous with atheism or nihilism so equating violence/suicide is a silly stretch at best.
atheist believe evolution which
the consequences of evolution are violence and suicide are acceptable .

Creationism OTOH is pretty much consistent with unwavering fundamentalism and some of the type of stuff that that encapsulates involves society being under laws whereby we have people being dragged off to be stoned to death for "crimes" that a modern "civilized" society would balk at.

Eze 13:19 You make them think I am not important. You turn them against me for a few handfuls of barley and a few scraps of bread. You tell lies to my people. They love to listen to lies. You kill those who should live, and you let people live who should die.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
atheist believe evolution

They believe electricity, too, which the consequences of electricity are violence and suicide are acceptable.

Eze 13:19 You make them think I am not important. You turn them against me for a few handfuls of barley and a few scraps of bread. You tell lies to my people. They love to listen to lies. You kill those who should live, and you let people live who should die.

Do creationists on the web have some kind of random Bible verse generator that just tosses out verses regardless of the subject?

Or are you telling me that Ezekiel is an atheist, because he thinks some people need killing?

And you still haven't told us why you think we see those statistical connections between creationism and violence and suicide. We have some hints in research:

Core thinking error underlies belief in creationism, conspiracy theories: study
To look more closely at this pattern, the researchers next recruited more than 700 people to complete questionnaires online. Those data again confirmed associations among teleological thinking, creationism, and conspiracism. The data also show that those relationships are partly distinct from other variables, including gender, age, analytical thinking, political orientation, education, and agency detection.

"By drawing attention to the analogy between creationism and conspiracism, we hope to highlight one of the major flaws of conspiracy theories and therefore help people detect it, namely that they rely on teleological reasoning by ascribing a final cause and overriding purpose to world events," Dieguez says. "We think the message that conspiracism is a type of creationism that deals with the social world can help clarify some of the most baffling features of our so-called 'post-truth era.'"

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-core-error-underlies-belief-creationism.html

Arthur Brain

atheist believe evolution which

Well, no. Plenty of theists accept evolution and plenty of atheists value life no less than people who profess belief so your posit is a non starter, not to mention woefully under thought.

Well, as Barb has already pointed out, do some of you guys just have a verse generator on standby? This doesn't address my post.

:AMR:

way 2 go

Well, no. Plenty of theists accept evolution and plenty of atheists value life no less than people who profess belief so your posit is a non starter, not to mention woefully under thought.

:AMR:
that's like saying you know some people who didn't die from having cancer
therefore cancer doesn't kill people.

that's like saying you know some people who didn't die from a heroin overdose
therefore heroin doesn't kill people.

Arthur Brain

Uh, it really isn't akin to saying anything of the like at all. Cancer is a killer disease, fact. Without treatment that's all it does, is kill. Cancer can hit anybody, from atheist to fundamentalist, from a baby to the elderly. Cancer doesn't care what your beliefs are or anything else. It's a killer disease full stop.

Evolution is simply the process of how life (as the term implies) evolves, that's it. Repeating some silly and ignorant mantra doesn't make it true. You can accept established science and have a belief in God without any cognitive dissonance going on. If you want to remain attached to blinkered fundamentalist beliefs that don't allow that then that's your prerogative but it sure doesn't apply to everyone else.

Lon

link to data? This was just discussed on TOL. Murder and rape are up, the likes we have not seen. Compare it to 1963 when the ten commandments came off the wall of public school classrooms, the Christian ABC's and prayer books were removed, etc.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Uh, it really isn't akin to saying anything of the like at all. Cancer is a killer disease, fact. Without treatment that's all it does, is kill. Cancer can hit anybody, from atheist to fundamentalist, from a baby to the elderly. Cancer doesn't care what your beliefs are or anything else. It's a killer disease full stop.

:doh:

I+can+count+to+potato_4cd3c2_3697474.jpg

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:

link to data?

Sure. Gallup has been asking the same evolution question for decades:
In U.S., Belief in Creationist View of Humans at New Low
zuvfbnyfpeuurje1d5octg.png

of1nju2kgeah3c20wrbdca.png

As acceptance of evolution grew, so did violent behavior fall. The rise in violent behavior in the 60 was primarily due to the rise of the boomers to young adulthood (when violence is most likely)and the marked decline since the 80s has been largely due to the aging of boomers.

By decade’s end, the homicide rate plunged 42 percent nationwide. Violent crime decreased by one-third. What turned into a precipitous decline started later in some areas and took longer in others. But it happened everywhere: in each region of the country, in cities large and small, in rural and urban areas alike. In the Northeast, which reaped the largest benefits, the homicide rate was halved. Murders plummeted by 75 percent in New York City alone as the city entered the new millennium.

The trend kept ticking downward from there, more slowly and with some fluctuations, to the present day. By virtually any metric, Americans now live in one of the least violent times in the nation’s history.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/04/what-caused-the-crime-decline/477408/

This was just discussed on TOL. Murder and rape are up, the likes we have not seen.

There's been a small uptick lately, for reasons that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

However, the small increase is dwarfed by the huge drop in violence since the 80s.

reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990.jpg

Compare it to 1963 when the ten commandments came off the wall of public school classrooms, the Christian ABC's and prayer books were removed, etc.

Sorry, that excuse won't fly. My daughter prayed with her friends in school daily. And it's perfectly legal. If you don't do a good job of teaching your child about God, government is the last entity you want to do it for you.

The good old days when many public schools taught the dominant religion in each community? Let's take a look...

Violence-Stylized-2-1024x702.png

Not very good, was it? No Lon, it wasn't so good. As Madison wrote:

Because experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of Religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution.
James Madison, Against Religious Assessments

As you now realize, in the day when the First Amendment was routinely violated in public schools, violence was much greater than it is today.